• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Syf

Banned
So much fun opening a Sentinax portal only to have the other faction come camp it and steal all the kills because faction tagging is still a thing. I guess I need to transfer to a horde populated server to take part in this.

Moff

the orange names make it even more obvious that I am on a server with 95% alliance

but I guess from their point of view I'm special

Lain

And which idiot thought that enemy players on a PvE realm needed their names changing to orange?

I liked that change, so I finally realized how outnumbered by the Alliance I am, with every single name around me being orange except a blue one or two from time to time.

I don't mind names from the other faction having their own color but they should have just made it blue for Alliance and red for Horde with PVP-enabled people being orange, or whatever.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Did they change some lighting in some of the zones? I swear Skyhold and some areas of Stormheim have this almost 70s photo look to them now.

Also, the area with all the fel tauren in Highmountain at night has really dark now and the colors are really muted.

TraBuch

Banned
Someone explain these portals to me. I'm told that they're for Nethershard farming, yet I'm lucky if I get three shards for an entire portal, whereas I can run around killing random mobs and they'll occasionally drop 5 at a time. I feel like I can farm ridiculously more Nethershards just doing that. Am I missing something?

v1perz53

one of the more baffling changes in a patch full of baffling changes

And which idiot thought that enemy players on a PvE realm needed their names changing to orange?

Huh I think its a great change. Easy to see if a group of opposing faction is somewhere so you can move on to a different area so as not to attack mobs being tagged by the other faction. I've found it super useful, with the old blue names for everyone there would be occasional moments where I attacked a pack as they did and we split tags, this eliminates that minor inconvenience and has no downsides, at least to me.

What is the downside of it? The difference between orange and red is very obvious and clear to me, and it doesn't matter anyway since I play with nameplates enabled and non-attackable players don't get nameplates while mobs do.

I don't mind names from the other faction having their own color but they should have just made it blue for Alliance and red for Horde with PVP-enabled people being orange, or whatever.

That'd be confusing though since hostile mobs are red, and players have 10+ years of players being blue. So alliance wouldn't be able to tell players from mobs and horde would have to readjust to blue=bad, orange for opposing faction is simpler with no downsides.

cdyhybrid

Someone explain these portals to me. I'm told that they're for Nethershard farming, yet I'm lucky if I get three shards for an entire portal, whereas I can run around killing random mobs and they'll occasionally drop 5 at a time. I feel like I can farm ridiculously more Nethershards just doing that. Am I missing something?
Each spawns a few waves. Are you sticking around until it's done?

v1perz53

Bahaha the macro for the Barrel world quest still works, you just can only mark the barrels once they stop moving but before you select one. So you have to do the first round yourself, but after that you just mark all the barrels and you only have to remember which one or unmarked it was. A little more annoying than it was before, since you have to mark all barrels (can't mark it once it lights up) but still completely cheeseable.

Strimei

There a way to skip the new broken shore scenario after you've done it on one character? This thing takes a bit of time and I don't like having to do it for all my alts.

Lain

Silly me, I thought the new artifact levels were the same cost as the old ones, so I didn't even look at how much buying the 37th one on my Paladin was gonna cost, sure I could grab a few with those 16 millions AP I had from the refund. I learned my lesson when I found myself with only 3 millions left after a single trait purchase.

All I will say is make sure to get WQGF if you ever expect to get WQs done at 110. Also, make a macro to turn in your emissary quest, I don't think there has been a single day since launch I haven't gotten attacked at the emissary turn in by 10+ horde. Except the Aszuna hub for some reason...

The way cross realm works is different for levelling than it is at 110, so you have yet to experience the true Tichondrius, get ready for some... fun? At least you rolled a tank, which is pretty much the only way to at least guarantee you can turn in your emissaries before dying.

I've got this buddy/co-worker who I recently discovered plays WoW (a lot more than I do and at higher levels) and he's been bugging me to roll Alli. I know I don't need to be on the same realm to group up and do stuff and, after my brief stint on HFP on Tich, I won't be. Part of even rolling a toon on Tich was morbid curiosity. If a sparsely populated cross-realm zone feels that stifling, I can't even imagine how oppressive leveling in current content is, never mind dealing with end-game stuff at cap. You probably can't even do banal shit like gather, explore the environment or fish without everything turning into a fight with a population that skewed. The cross-realm stuff isn't that terrible but there's literally no upside to having someone with 40+ levels on me one-shotting me for ten or twenty minutes until they get bored. I don't want to imagine how terrible trying to quest through a place like Bradensbrook is. Hop off the flightpath, be surrounded by ten Horde and get insta-ganked.

After reading your post at work, I asked my buddy what his WQ turn-ins were like and he said on his hunter he has to turtle, turn-in, use rocket boots and glider in order to get away alive or bubble, turn-in and hearth on his ret pali. After that I told him I'd roll an Alli DK, but just not on Tich. I gotta roll on a PVE server. I don't want to deal with shit like that.

There a way to skip the new broken shore scenario after you've done it on one character? This thing takes a bit of time and I don't like having to do it for all my alts.

The NPC you talk to to start the whole lead up to the Broken Shore scenario outside Orgrimmar and in Stormwind Harbour has an option "I've heard this story before, can I go straight to Dalaran..."

I'm kind of underwhelmed by the Broken Shore. Its a pain to get around and just...eh?

- Pain to get around, almost as bad as Tanaan
- Nothing to do there but wait for things to happen
- If you're lucky there might be two or three world quests to do there that give you the same old rewards plus 25 new resources
- Nethershards suckkkkkkkkk
- Way too small, but still feels like theres large swathes of nothing

IT STINKS

That new dungeon is alright though.

Nista

Yeah that orange text is HIDEOUS.

Yeah it's pretty ugly, going to have to figure out how to turn off alliance player names in UI.

It is pretty depressing that everywhere on the island it's just a sea of orange names. I'd almost pay more for a completely horde-only phased server group so I could kill non-tagged mobs.

The whole divide between players on PVE servers is really stupid anyway with the current state of the NPC cooperation and narrative.

Strimei

- Pain to get around, almost as bad as Tanaan
- Nothing to do there but wait for things to happen
- If you're lucky there might be two or three world quests to do there that give you the same old rewards plus 25 new resources
- Nethershards suckkkkkkkkk
- Way too small, but still feels like theres large swathes of nothing

IT STINKS

That new dungeon is alright though.

And to be honest I'm not that interested in the Tomb either, since my chief draw, armor, is just updated black temple tier. So I may just unsub for a while soon, though probably not until I get the new artifact appearances for my alts.

Lain

Yeah it's pretty ugly, going to have to figure out how to turn off alliance player names in UI.

It is pretty depressing that everywhere on the island it's just a sea of orange names. I'd almost pay more for a completely horde-only phased server group so I could kill non-tagged mobs.

The whole divide between players on PVE servers is really stupid anyway with the current state of the NPC cooperation and narrative.

I'm not sure horde-only would help as much as you'd think. I even get grey names on mobs tagged by other horde players at times. Though the whole tagging system feeling inadequate when the narrative of the game is cooperation to win against the big enemy is indeed true.

WoW has turned into a MMO in which I'm always happy when no one is around and always annoyed when people are around, because when people are around it always means shit takes longer to complete instead of it being faster. There was a herbalism WQ in Strom some days ago that took me 15/20 minutes to complete because of all the people around, with nodes disappearing quickly after someone got to them and a big area to cover, plus the obvious bugs that plague this xpac, like seeing a node, going to it only for the node to disappear because the WQ area delimitations aren't the same for the server as the one shown on the map for the player (kinda like the Kill 10 Worgen WQ also in Strom) so you end phased out/not considered in the right area despite that not being true.

Lain

There was a 30 minutes maint in EU and now my DH AK research (which was due in 3 days) is complete so I can start the AK26 thing for her too. Nice.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
9 wipes and we got to the last phase of Star Augur.

Is the last phase super hard? Seems like we'll kill it soon-ish if it's not too difficult.

Hey Blizzard finally put in a trait that increase how many souls are spawned by the Aff Artifact!!!

Then 2 days later they nerf the chance down from 12% to 4% because FUCK YOU we are adding a fix to a months old problem then going back on it

Can anyone explain the difference of the 2 dps specs on warrior. Trying to level up a warrior, I'm mostly interested in Tank but want to know what the other specs offer.

Lomax

Doing the new quest chain on my warlock and Eyir phases out before I get a chance or read or accept the quests... you'd think I'd have learned by now that Legion is a buggy piece of shit and not to do anything the first week after it releases, but no, I had to try.

Tarazet

Arms = Smash things with one big stick.
Fury = Hit things with two big sticks, really quickly.

For 99% of the game's history, Arms has been the PvP spec of choice. Primary reason being that Mortal Strike reduces the amount of healing that the victim receives. In fact, you'll often hear people refer to a "Mortal Strike effect" even in PvE 5 mans and raids because it's such an infamously overpowered debuff.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I can never not laugh at how bad Blizz is at explaining the 'Outlaw' class fantasy, and how it being intrinsically tied to one of the worst RNG systems in Roll-the-Bones is so intricately tied into the class' mechanics.

Like, this...

The current proposal is to reduce the number of dice being rolled from 6 to 5 and to hand-set probabilities to something like 79% chance for 1-buff, 20% chance for 2-buffs, and 1% chance for 5-buffs (yahtzee), bringing the expected value of a roll down to 1.24 buffs (plus additional value for synergies between buffs). The downside to this is that if you take a deep look at the probability distribution, in order for this to work, you realize that the dice would have to be loaded against the player. This isn't something we'd prefer to do (adjust randomness against the player's favor), but it might be something we have to do with the current Roll the Bones dice system in order to remove the incentive to reroll.

is so amazingly silly to try and comprehend.

Either you make roll the bones worthwhile to try and reroll, or you cut out all the buffs (or homogenize them as such to make such little dps difference that it doesn't matter - of which I'll believe it when I see it). Unless you can find another clear way to make re-rolling distinctly NOT viable, yet still have different rolls have the spec doing different (but equally cool/dps-gain) effects, it's never going to work.

Cutting the dice to artificially roll one buff almost 4/5 of the time just feels like....why bother. It's like the old Ret Inquistion, only less fulfilling because it's still random. And I'm skeptical in them actually making the other single buffs comparable to True bearing, even with the proposed AR changes.

And then they still fail to explain how they're actually going to make slice and dice actually competitive (but still not as good as RtB, which is explicitly pointed out!) like they have said they'd do since soon after 7.0 launched.

Stuff like this is why my rogue is just sitting in storage.

Lain

Don't you hate joining a LFR only to be subjected to double loading (the first for the instance, the second one to your home point) because someone in the LFR can't wait for people to join in/load in before engaging bosses? Even worse, getting a 30 minutes cooldown removing you from all the other queues for dropping the raid you couldn't join.

Outlaw and Roll the Bones is literally Legion in a nutshell, it's RNG: The Spec. Spend all of your combo points and get sweet fuck all or, for a brief shinning window, become an absolute terror. Outlaw seems fun at first but the capriciousness of Roll the Bones just wore me down. If I'm doing badly with a class or spec I would rather it be because of my own abilities or lack there of. You can always try to improve your own play whereas RNG is RNG. I'd rather just play a class or spec where the damage is consistent and based off of how well you can play it.

I dunno what's worse, a maintenance buff like Demonic Empowerment or a randomised buffs like what Roll the Bones spits out, but neither are particularly fun.

Outlaw and Roll the Bones is literally Legion in a nutshell, it's RNG: The Spec.

I re-rolled my Outlaw to Assassination due to the sheer idiocy that was RtB and it's RNG. Maybe I should re-roll WoW to a different game as well...

It's weird the hard-on Blizzard has for RNG, it permeates their other games like Hearthstone and the more they rely on it the more people complain.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I dunno what's worse, a maintenance buff like Demonic Empowerment or a randomised buffs like what Roll the Bones spits out, but neither are particularly fun.

They are both absolute failures as core spec mechanics and there is no way they will remain (in their current forms anyway) in 8.0.

It's a bummer. There are a few specs that really coalesced well in Legion and are a joy to play at this point, but then you got shit like outlaw and demo that are just total fucking stinkers.

So I have two friends on two servers who wanna play together. How feasible is it to play two characters parallel without wanting to kill myself?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I have two friends on two servers who wanna play together. How feasible is it to play two characters parallel without wanting to kill myself?

If you are all the same faction you don't really need to make two new characters, pretty much everything works cross-realm if you are grouped.

Tarazet

They are both absolute failures as core spec mechanics and there is no way they will remain (in their current forms anyway) in 8.0.

It's a bummer. There are a few specs that really coalesced well in Legion and are a joy to play at this point, but then you got shit like outlaw and demo that are just total fucking stinkers.

Demonology is a really sad case. They took the things that were fun about the spec, carved them up and divvied them up to Shadow Priests and Demon Hunters, nailed both of those (after some iteration) but came up with this new Demo archetype that is astoundingly incompetent.

Anoregon

Demonology is a really sad case. They took the things that were fun about the spec, carved them up and divvied them up to Shadow Priests and Demon Hunters, nailed both of those (after some iteration) but came up with this new Demo archetype that is astoundingly incompetent.

The big rogue mechanics post for 7.2.5 gives me a slight glimmer of hope that they will do some serious diving into Warlock mechanics soon, but my expectations are extremely tempered.

It's crazy how rare Warlocks are now. I'm frequently in pug raids that have 0.

Mupod

all I know is that two of our warlocks are consistently at or near the top of our damage, but it's because they are filthy meter padders. I win on honest fights.

I'm good with where Frost is right now even if some people don't like the BoS spec. I might hate it if we were deep into Mythic and fights were actually hard, but I like that it's not totally mindless and stretching out those breaths can be fun. edit: by right now I mean assuming they fix the damn bugs.

I'd check to see if they said anything about Blood DKs recently but I already know that answer. Oh well, they nerfed mythic+ so hard it doesn't matter.

Lomax

I've enjoyed demo on my lock since they changed the legendary boots which basically fixed all my mobility issues. But I still haven't tried a demon hunter because I'm a little worried it will be what I always wanted my lock to be and I'll never go back.

Never rerolling RtB is effectively trying to make the spec SnD+, which sucks because SnD is and always has been a boring as hell play style. There's other elements to Outlaw that won't make it quite as mind-numbing as SnD, but they need to make some adjustments to the buffs in terms of play style if that's the route they go. SnD is there for the people that want to cover their ears and pretend they are still playing combat.

5-buffs might indicate they are finding another solution to TB, which goes a long way toward fixing RtB issues as is.

Faiz

Ugggh. Really not liking the "fix" for RtB. 1-buff should be the infrequent "bust" requiring a reroll. Not the expected outcome that is always ok and never needs to be rerolled.

Granted, I'm sure it's easier to "balance" the skills against each other when the general rule is you will only have 1, but that doesn't make it fun necessarily either.

Jag

How hard is Gul'dan to tank in LFR? My DH alt is 863 and I'd like to start farming for some of his unique drops.

Hugstable

Banned
Been progressing well this week. Having just hit 110 the day before 7.2 arrived, I'm surprised I'm already up to ilvl 844. Been doing mostly WQ abd Heroic dungeons as a healer.

Been thinking of finally wanting to use my level 100 boost for the hell of it and can't decide whether I want to use it on a druid or a pally. Would prob do Tank main on either one

cdyhybrid

I get the complaints about Outlaw, but I still enjoy playing it because 1) Thunderfury, duh, and 2) you know what you're getting from the start. Their signature ability is literally a dice roll. If you don't want RNG it's obviously not for you. Definitely prefer that they be up front about it than try and dress up the RNG specs to make it not seem like it's not RNG (looking at you, Demon Blades).

It's obviously less than ideal for Mythic raiding, and they could still improve RtB by decreasing the frequency of necessary rerolls, but if they turn it into SnD-with-dice-animation I'm going to be disappointed.

Which means I'm probably going to be disappointed.

mclem

How hard is Gul'dan to tank in LFR? My DH alt is 863 and I'd like to start farming for some of his unique drops.

Frustrating, in that other people can screw it up for you (he does a special mechanic if someone's standing on the current tank, which you're supposed to make use of frequently but not constantly. And lots of melee don't know when they're jeapordising the tank!)

Also, you'll probably need some careful cooldown management depending on the competence of your co-tank; partially for the above reason (the mechanic is *meant* to be triggered by your co-tank) and partially because the tank swap setup requires good use of cooldowns, and you might possibly run out if your cotank isn't on the boss when they need to be.

Fjordson

I don't hate Broken Isles (yet) but it does seem a bit sparse and lifeless.

My favourite end-game zone they've done is still Timeless Isle. Had a blast running around there for months. Part of it was just the setting artistically, but I enjoyed the quests and hunting down rares and treasures.

Lomax

So people's first 110 they still have to buy all 25 levels of artifact knowledge, right? It just completes instantly? Or can you skip straight from some point to the level 26 quest? And then the weapon quest gives all 35 points for free? Finding conflicting information and not sure what to tell my friend to do.

cdyhybrid

Frustrating, in that other people can screw it up for you (he does a special mechanic if someone's standing on the current tank, which you're supposed to make use of frequently but not constantly. And lots of melee don't know when they're jeapordising the tank!)

Also, you'll probably need some careful cooldown management depending on the competence of your co-tank; partially for the above reason (the mechanic is *meant* to be triggered by your co-tank) and partially because the tank swap setup requires good use of cooldowns, and you might possibly run out if your cotank isn't on the boss when they need to be.
Pfft, it's LFR. Just tunnel the boss and blame the healers if you die ;)

Top Bottom