• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Lain

Got my rogue to 110 through invasions and bonus objectives. Invasions only provided me with 1 piece of loot and 100 shards, so not much to start with, but the chests on the shores gave me some more pieces of equip and shards which, coupled with some of the lieutenants and the turn ins of resources gave me almost a full equip of 850 items. I'm still missing relics though, and gotta get a second trinket to boost up my ilvl to a more decent level. I went subtley on the rogue and I love being able to just drop from up in the air without taking any fall damage but I suck so much at playing it. Fun though.

Magnus

Got my rogue to 110 through invasions and bonus objectives. Invasions only provided me with 1 piece of loot and 100 shards, so not much to start with, but the chests on the shores gave me some more pieces of equip and shards which, coupled with some of the lieutenants and the turn ins of resources gave me almost a full equip of 850 items. I'm still missing relics though, and gotta get a second trinket to boost up my ilvl to a more decent level. I went subtley on the rogue and I love being able to just drop from up in the air without taking any fall damage but I suck so much at playing it. Fun though.

Wait, whaaaa - the invasions are scalable content, too? My level 100 alts can access that content, and it's good xp?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I kind of wonder if the 2500 nethershards was originally intended to be 'one of' the mechanisms for the broken shore that acted as a 'gate' before they introduced the weekly limit to the quests....

As most people would (generally) be using their nethershards for gear upgrades or gambling, there'd at least be 1 invasion worth of questing to do, with maybe a few rares or sentinax farming as well.

Instead, if you don't have a lot of rares up on-server, you're either server hopping or waiting for the next invasion to come up.

I'm still missing relics though, and gotta get a second trinket to boost up my ilvl to a more decent level. I went subtley on the rogue and I love being able to just drop from up in the air without taking any fall damage but I suck so much at playing it.

Yeah, I'm kind of curious as to why there is 'only' the 880 relics to buy from shard, and not an 850 one for 500.

Similar situation with my alt rogue, who just finished out the other weapon quests - no relics up on the WQ area, and don't want to waste 15k gold (which is absurd) for 830 crafted ones.

Wait, whaaaa - the invasions are scalable content, too? My level 100 alts can access that content, and it's good xp?

Yes. You can't do the 'finisher' quest, but a full 5-6 quests is like 80ish % of a level.

Robin64

Based on the achievement, it looks like some upcoming weekly quests are:

Complete 12 Broken Shore WQs
Kill 5 rare elites on the Broken Shore
Kill 100 demons
Open x number of Wyrmtongue chests

Basically, all "tutorial" things, so I guess they really were all meant to be up on day one until someone at the last minute decided otherwise.

lazygecko

Is there supposed to be no weekly quest from Dalaran this time? First week I've not had one to pick up.

For some reason the weekly resets on different things seem to be out of sync. The quest givers in Dalaran now seem to reset 1 hour later than the rest.

Kill 100 demons

Basically, all "tutorial" things, so I guess they really were all meant to be up on day one until someone at the last minute decided otherwise.
I think they intended for it to be drawn out and these are effectively the simplest possible quests to count as weekly progress on a campaign. Little to no narrative attached, just has you doing things already there on the Broken Shore. It's just naked padding.

7.1 Suramar had the do 8 Suramar WQs bit, but it also had narrative stuff every week and actual quests versus meta quests.

Metroidvania

I think they intended for it to be drawn out and these are effectively the simplest possible quests to count as weekly progress on a campaign. Little to no narrative attached, just has you doing things already there on the Broken Shore. It's just naked padding.

7.1 Suramar had the do 8 Suramar WQs bit, but it also had narrative stuff every week and actual quests versus meta quests.

Yeah, the main difference between Suramar and this is that the base (forget the name atm) of your Suramar campaign actually improved, changed, and you got access to new areas of the city (via portals, exploring, what have you) over time to actually show you were making progress into winning back the city, and stopping Elisande and Gul'dan - especially after you finished the 'initial' exalted grind, and then they change up the portal system and bring the demons in.

With the Broken Shore, it's literally just naked 'here are the quests to help you get flying' padding.

I realize there's more to come with the class hall quest lines, but even the artifact skin story introduction, while kind of cool, could stall out for people if they can't beat the challenge atm.

Hah im at like 15-18 out of 20 complete for each of the PvP brawl WQs (for the mount) on my pally, and I've never done a single one, just used my auto complete item on them each day. Also hit prestige 1 today without ever entering a BG or arena match lol.

I really wish every class had the option for an auto complete advancement. It's so useful.

v1perz53

For some reason the weekly resets on different things seem to be out of sync. The quest givers in Dalaran now seem to reset 1 hour later than the rest.

When daylight savings hit, most of the resets shifted back an hour. But oddly it didn't affect everything the same. I used to be able to get things done before leaving for my shifts at the hospital that started at 12 PM, but after daylight savings things reset at 11 EST on my server instead of 10 EST so its much harder. No idea why some things didn't shift though.

Anyway, this week is WQ weekly, 50% more rep from WQs. Should help anyone late on flying or anyone farming rep caches for mounts. Really wish the reward was better than 5k resources though, not much to do with those now hah.

I really wish every class had the option for an auto complete advancement. It's so useful.

I agree. One of the factors in choosing an alt for me was having this ability, nothing else even really compares. Healers kinda get screwed the most, I think of all the healers only pallies have auto WQ complete as an upgrade?

Metroidvania

Got flying a moment ago, and the first thing I thought was "..now what?"

Doing invasions is way faster, at least - on a related note, leveling speed for alts goes way up, and Herbing/mining gets way easier.

Other than that....you're almost half done with the class hall mount grind, and don't have to rely on the convoluted flight paths, I guess?

Yeah, I initially went with the free seal for my raiding Ret paladin, but switched over to the free quest once I realized the free seal for 1k resources/gold really didn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things - especially with the free seals from mission hall and Timewalking every 2-3 weeks.

(To be fair, at the time the selection of the quests that were 'able' to be completed was really bad, and was the 1 per 3 days, instead of every 18 hours.)

I find having a bodyguard to be very useful even if sometimes I'd want to kill them because of the issues they bring, like the visual obstruction making looting corpses difficult, something the new DH bodyguard excels at but her bubble buff is too damn good and I like her VA so I can't give her up.

Which one, Minerva?

Mupod

shit, I forgot about the auto-complete thing. As someone who can't be arsed to do world quests that could be nice. But then again I don't log in either.

Magnus

Yeah, finishing almost any task faster is awesome. Zipping around Dal faster. Navigating around the druid class order hall faster. Getting to my priest class hall faster. Everything faster. I dig.

v1perz53

So these weekly quests are really stupid, especially this week "give me 2500 nethershards and I'll give you 2499 back, in case by week 4 you didn't know nethershards were a thing" but I am glad for them for 2 reasons:

1. It will make getting exalted on alts for the mount WAY easier. A series of super short and easy quests that give 1500 rep each? Yes please. Suramar campaign was much cooler story wise, but holy hell if that isn't the WORST thing to do on alts. And it gates a TON of AP (just from the Gul'Dan quest) and a super useful item (self rez every 30 min). It is also just nice to get big chunks of rep sometimes, as opposed to Suramar's "finish a major questline, here's 100 rep, do a blue elite WQ, here's 250"

2. It protected people against themselves. People are self destructive in WoW, if class mounts were available on day 1, imagine the people going crazy farming treasure chests non-stop, then complaining about what a crazy grind blizz implemented. With this 12 week gating, people will close in on exalted without really thinking about it, and it softens the blow of the "grind" since it happens passively.

And while these quests are lame, this truly is the first alt friendly thing they've implemented in legion, which is great when it is tied to class mounts. 12 weeks from now you'll be able to get ~24k rep in one day just from these 1-10 min quests, which gets you quite close to the mount. My main might've wanted more story a la Suramar, but my alts certainly don't hah.

Ashodin

that khadgar quest is awesome lmao

khadgar-is-an-asshole-didn-amp-039-t-need-that-legendary-anyway_o_5684553.jpg

I love this meme

Kill 100 demons

7.2's content outside of Cathedral of Night and Tomb of Sargeras is stopgap. Catch-up gear, if you haven't been running mythic+ for whatever reason, a crafting mat for prof leggos, flying and the class mount are the only real carrots dangled in front of players to drive them to actually play through some paper-thin time-gated content.

Legion's PVE zones are a hell of a lot more manageable with flying though. Glad I kept up with doing what little there is to do on The Broken Shore.

CHC

You know, after revisiting Legion (I played for a couple months in the fall, back now), I really am noticing that whatever the next expansion winds up being, it is seriously high fucking time for Blizzard to make a new city.

Like, how has there not been a new full in-game city since... Wrath of the Lich King!?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
We're getting insane lag in Nighthold tonight.

When I Draught, instead of it ending in 3 seconds, I get stuck for over 10.

erawsd

You know, after revisiting Legion (I played for a couple months in the fall, back now), I really am noticing that whatever the next expansion winds up being, it is seriously high fucking time for Blizzard to make a new city.

Like, how has there not been a new full in-game city since... Wrath of the Lich King!?

Yeah, it is kind of weird that its been so long. We were suppose to have had two new ones in WoD but they got scraped. I suppose those resources went to Class Halls in this expac. That said, I'd be ok with another expac with no new city if they decided to rebuild the old cities and make space for proper player and guild housing.

Tarazet

Blizzard's loaded dice are at it again. 5 level 110 characters, none of them have ever seen Arcanocrystal before. 3 of them got one today. After rolling back to back Chrono Shards from Relinquished Trinkets on different characters, I'm a little skeptical and a lot happy with this state of affairs.

Metroidvania

Blizzard's loaded dice are at it again. 5 level 110 characters, none of them have ever seen Arcanocrystal before. 3 of them got one today. After rolling back to back Chrono Shards from Relinquished Trinkets on different characters, I'm a little skeptical and a lot happy with this state of affairs.

While anecdotal, I keep getting some variant of the PVP trinkets on my characters.

Sure, they seem to titanforge often (Pally got 900 static STR+crit) , but at the same time, I don't need some static vers and an AGI proc for my DH or rogue (even though outlaw does like vers, relatively)

Just give me an eye of command or a nightblooming frond, lol

And to be fair, it's not like this is the first time this Xpac Blizz has messed up some of the 'RNG' aspects of Legion drops.

v1perz53

Usually I'm very skeptical of this kinda thing, and err on the side of RNG is RNG, but I am hearing a lot of people getting Arcanocrystals today, moreso than past Withered Jim spawns. In fact, 8 characters in my guild got one today, of the maybe ~12 that did the world boss. Obviously 3 of the ~4-5 that didn't get it were my 3 characters though...

Lain

You know, finally Like The Wind is a great WQ, thanks to flying... I'm actually surprised they didn't do something to remove you from your flying mount lol.

Faiz

Kid wakes me up at 3:30 because he wet the bed. Change bed sheets and clothes, lay down with him, back to sleep at about 5. Welp, I gotta be up in like 45 minutes, will take me another twenty after laying down to get back to sleep, fuck it, lets get some WoW in.

Servers down from 5am EST to 6 AM EST for scheduled maintenance.

On a Wednesday.

/sigh....

Azzurri

I hope Blizzard adds way more cinematics like this. I love stuff like this, it's the reason I liked SWTOR for the little time I played it. I know people don't care much about story in WoW or MMORPGS in general, but when they add a bunch of cinematics like this I find it so much more engaging as a player. I feel like I'm in a world where you care about what's going on and not just logging on to kill generic raid boss 134 or some monster. Plus, WoW has SO much lore, and the tech now allows Blizzard to do so much more than they could years ago.

I hope Blizzard carries this on with class stories too, I wish they added a bunch of cinematics to class stories and such.

carlsojo

Man I hope Sylvanas gets a questline too.

Maybe where she drags Thrall kicking and screaming out of retirement to fight some demons.

Or gets some character development talking to the spirit of Vol'jinn. Whatever!

strafer

Absolutely beautiful.

I hope Blizzard adds way more cinematics like this. I love stuff like this, it's the reason I liked SWTOR for the little time I played it. I know people don't care much about story in WoW or MMORPGS in general, but when they add a bunch of cinematics like this I find it so much more engaging as a player. I feel like I'm in a world where you care about what's going on and not just logging on to kill generic raid boss 134 or some monster. Plus, WoW has SO much lore, and the tech now allows Blizzard to do so much more than they could years ago.

I hope Blizzard carries this on with class stories too, I wish they added a bunch of cinematics to class stories and such.

Yep. I remember being completely blown away by the Wrathgate cinematic back in wotlk. It was so damn awesome.

Top Bottom