• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Syf

Banned
Guys, I'm considering starting this game because I've been playing HS and I like the lore.
Is it worth buying legion (at $20 off) + vanilla or just vanilla?

Thanks.

EDIT: I just saw, I think I'm fine with vanilla, then I can consider Legion if I'm at a high enough level next time it's $20 off.
Yeah you have a huge amount of content to play through as a new player even without Legion. Vanilla will actually get you vanilla plus every expac up to Legion. Best see if you like the game first and I'm sure by the time you get to Legion content there will have been another sale. When you're playing through just keep in mind the leveling does get better as you progress to more current content.

And if you have any questions or anything feel free to ask. WoW has a helpful community.

Nokterian

Guys, I'm considering starting this game because I've been playing HS and I like the lore.
Is it worth buying legion (at $20 off) + vanilla or just vanilla?

Thanks.

EDIT: I just saw, I think I'm fine with vanilla, then I can consider Legion if I'm at a high enough level next time it's $20 off.

Go buy it all you get a free level 100 boost with it so you can drop right into the new content. And 20 dollars off is more than worth it. Yes you can do all the vanilla and all expansions to warlords of dreanor. But to me would be wise to buy the expansion right now so you have it in the bag.

if you encounter a bugged argus world quest, server hop to another group. that will fix it. worked for me with a rare mob yesterday and the gladius lightforged mech quest today

Robin64

How did you guys get past the bejeweled game for the Lucid Nightmare mount? Been playing for like 20 minutes.

Just keep going. It takes frickin' ages. Matches of 5 are worth the most while you're trying to hit that invisible unknown points total.

Moff

I am too dumb for the light grid puzzle in ulduar

the guide has white and purple lights, I have green lights? the guide says 7 blank, 6 activated lights, 7 blank on each edge.. what?

Robin64

I am too dumb for the light grid puzzle in ulduar

the guide has white and purple lights, I have green lights? the guide says 7 blank, 6 activated lights, 7 blank on each edge.. what?

Count 7 along, leave those alone. The next 6, turn those on. Then there should be 7 left to the next edge.

Robin64

but that's just the first row, right? and they turn green, not purple? I did the whole pattern but nothing happened

That's just the first row, yeah.
Then set those 6 across the whole grid.
Then do the same for the other side.
Finally fill in the little corner bits.

Or turn them all on then turn off the ones that are blue in this image:

k8iaKBs.png

erawsd

You should be able to go into birdeyes camera view while inside the Paraxis shield, would he hilarious to watch all those people getting murdered.

RPGCrazied

That blistermaw mount is just never going to drop. And since the drop rate is so low, coupled with how it respawns, doesn't bode well with me getting it.

But I already see people with it, so it does drop.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do you still need certain rep on the Azsuna/Valsharah/etc. factions to unlock world quests on alts?

That blistermaw mount is just never going to drop. And since the drop rate is so low, coupled with how it respawns, doesn't bode well with me getting it.

But I already see people with it, so it does drop.

My girlfriend got it on her first kill. I was so jealous.

Do you still need certain rep on the Azsuna/Valsharah/etc. factions to unlock world quests on alts?

As long as you've unlocked those on one you unlock for every other character on your account. Argus WQs don't operate in the same manner.

Going into the sewers at level 104 for tailoring sure is fun. Getting two shot by 110's is just great. BTW, Blizzard, fuck you.

Did you hire the guard?

Fewr

Yeah you have a huge amount of content to play through as a new player even without Legion. Vanilla will actually get you vanilla plus every expac up to Legion. Best see if you like the game first and I'm sure by the time you get to Legion content there will have been another sale. When you're playing through just keep in mind the leveling does get better as you progress to more current content.

And if you have any questions or anything feel free to ask. WoW has a helpful community.
Go buy it all you get a free level 100 boost with it so you can drop right into the new content. And 20 dollars off is more than worth it. Yes you can do all the vanilla and all expansions to warlords of dreanor. But to me would be wise to buy the expansion right now so you have it in the bag.

Thanks both. I could only play for 2-4hrs per week (most likely 2). That's not enough for an mmo even if I don't mind a slow pace, is it? (I've only played up to lv30 in FFXI and it was a nightmare)

Lain

Then I do the quest, and I'm rewarded with a pattern that I already bought at the start of Legion. Well played.

Blacksmithing? If so, that happens with every quest. They'll reward you pattern ranks you already know if you bothered to buy them from the BS NPC.

Blacksmithing? If so, that happens with every quest. They'll reward you pattern ranks you already know if you bothered to buy them from the BS NPC.

Nah, tailoring. The quest rewards was a 24 slot bag that I already bought at the start of Legion. 90 silk to make it...a total waste, but I'll be able to start cranking 30 slot hexweave bags in a day or two on this server.

Nokterian

Thanks both. I could only play for 2-4hrs per week (most likely 2). That's not enough for an mmo even if I don't mind a slow pace, is it? (I've only played up to lv30 in FFXI and it was a nightmare)

Leveling is way way smoother in WoW, gives more direction on where you need to go even shows on your minimap.

But like i said get Legion also at least you will have a free level 100 character to boost, just start at the beginning and see from there.

Syf

Banned
Honestly I don't think I'd bother with a subscription MMO if I could only play two hours a week. But that's my opinion.

TheYanger

I mean, you can play wow for free until level 20 on any characters you want, so there's really no harm in messing around with it to see if you're interested in the basics. Just know that as an MMO it gets infinitely more complex the higher you get, and 'endgame' is mechanically similar but realistically it is VERY different to play.

Still, you'll see how quests work, how running around and fighting mobs works, etc. I would recommend trying a panda or goblin or worgen too, since those starting experiences are more similar to what current content is like in terms of how it is presented.

Someone in this thread once said if you want to be sort of great at everything be a druid, so that's what I've done. Shelved my Mage and other toons I've toyed with being my new main (Warrior, Shaman, Monk, Priest) in favour of rolling a Druid. I'll probably eventually get caught up sometime well after the last raid tier is out, currently in the WoD intro scenario, but this is mainly getting ready for 8.0. I just don't want to deal with multiple toons, especially not if 8.0 has similar systems and gating to Legion.

Nah, tailoring. The quest rewards was a 24 slot bag that I already bought at the start of Legion. 90 silk to make it...a total waste, but I'll be able to start cranking 30 slot hexweave bags in a day or two on this server.

Once you get Imbued Silkweave recipe level 3, your output rate in Legion tailoring will vastly surpass your garrisons drip feed of materials. Every two or three days I would amass about 10K Silkweave (get the shoulder enchant) and an absurd amount of Bloods by just running around doing WQ's on my Mage and could pump out 4-5 Imbued Silkweave Bags versus the one Hexweave Bag I'd make in the same time frame.

The 24 Slot Silkweave bags still move at a decent clip, and having the Hexweave Bags to rely on for larger amounts of gold until your Legion tailoring truly comes online is nice though.

Your tailor is only 104, professions in Legion are clearly designed to be an end-game activity versus WoD's being something you did as you leveled.

Fewr

Honestly I don't think I'd bother with a subscription MMO if I could only play two hours a week. But that's my opinion.

There's the free version that I could play up to lv20, no? I think I'll give that a go for a while. If it's too much, I'll just watch youtube lore videos hehe.
The thing is that work takes most of my time.

If you're not concerned with getting to current content as quickly as possible and can only play for a few hours a week, you could spend a solid amount of time working your way though Vanilla, The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria and Warlords of Dreanor PVE. You would probably decide fairly quickly whether or not it's something you want to do and could even take advantage of the first 20 levels being free-to-play to help you figure that out.

Wrath of the Lich King is where modern WoW starts to begin and the game starts to get more overt with its story-telling. The 1-60 Vanilla zones are sort of a hodge-podge, there's no over-arching narrative pushing you through the Vanilla's PVE, which was re-worked in Cata, but each zone has a self-contained story for you to experience. The Burning Crusade is some of the oldest questing content in the game and people tend to have a strong opinion about it one way or the other, but it does have some of the most inventive looking zones in the game, in my opinion. I fucking love Zangarmarsh. Wrath is where the game starts to transition from show instead of tell when it comes to the narrative. I don't think too much of Cata myself but what I've played of MoP seems absolutely brilliant, I wish I had started playing WoW back in MoP. Warlords PVE is pretty solid too overall.

Forsaken have a really strong narrative experience for their first 40 or so levels, Pandas, Goblins and Worgens have pretty strong starting experiences before you get thrust into the older questing content. You'd probably want to play as something that can easily solo content, so a Hunter, Warlock or any class with a tanking spec like a Warrior, Monk, Paladin or Druid.

Fewr

Thanks for the suggestion. I really like exploring and lore, so I think I'll take my time and see how it goes.

And yes, since I barely have time I was hoping there'd be a class that could let me solo some bits, so I'll start with hunter.

From playing Hearthstone it looks like this game has tons and tons of stories, lore, places and characters. That's what I'm looking forward to the most.

From playing Hearthstone it looks like this game has tons and tons of stories, lore, places and characters. That's what I'm looking forward to the most.

Yeah, all of that is so engrossing. It's rare for me to even care about things like that in a video game but I really enjoy it from Warcraft. I've spent so many nights lying in bed on Wowpedia or Wowwiki just reading up on random things.

Maybe I'll do that puzzle this week. Been itching to get back to farming old raids for xmog anyway, so plowing through AQ and Ulduar could be fun.

Fjordson

On my last orb for the Lucid Nightmare and I can't find the damn rune. This is so confusing.

Edit: finished! Damn, that was wild. Really like these riddles in Legion. Can't even fathom how people figure this stuff out initially lol.

And yes, since I barely have time I was hoping there'd be a class that could let me solo some bits, so I'll start with hunter.

Beast Master Hunter is great for solo'ing content. You can tame exotic pets with special abilities that the other specs, Survival and Marksman, don't have access to. The abilities you can get range from water walking and slowfall to healing, blood lust and battle rez.

Gnomes and Goblins have an innate ability to tame mechanical beasts, other races can later learn how to do so in Legion content. Gnomes have a racial bonus for engineering, which is a pretty solid profession to take as a hunter (you can make your own guns, googles, tinkers like rocket boots and mounts), I find it's a fun profession to level and it gives you a lot of goals to shoot for. Mining/Engineering is a pretty solid profession combo to take no matter what race you pick. Trolls get boosted amounts of experience from killing animals. Worgen have a bonus to skinning if you want to go skinning/leather working (it's instant, everyone else has to get an enchant to equal the speed). Orcs have a small boost that increases pet damage. Draenei get access to a Core Hound (exotic pet with Blood Lust) the soonest in their starting area (The Kurken, but anyone can go there and tame that pet). Pandaren can tame Water Striders the soonest in their starting area, I believe. Any race can be a hunter but some have added bonuses that you might find helpful/useful.

Fewr

Beast Master Hunter is great for solo'ing content. You can tame exotic pets with special abilities that the other specs, Survival and Marksman, don't have access to. The abilities you can get range from water walking and slowfall to healing, blood lust and battle rez.
Thanks again, that's pretty helpful because I know next to nothing about the actual game. From the description I'll start next weekend with a gnome; meanwhile, I'll be reading random stuff in wowpedia.

mclem

The riddle was solved

Steps here -> http://imgur.com/a/To2BO

I'm curious if there's a good breakdown of the solving process; while the steps are interesting, they do seem a bit random when you can't deduce how to get from A to B!

We're up to... is it three mounts now? The one that ends with the boss on the world version of EOA, the time-lost hippogryph and the lucid nightmare? Any I've missed? Any that date back earlier? I don't recall this sort of thing in earlier expansions, but it's been a while so I may simply have forgotten.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, saw what it takes for the lucid nightmare mount. How about nope.

Why are they putting the cooler mounts behind paywalls and behind ridiculous things you have to do? Even the new class mounts aren't that easy to get. Really not alt friendly either.

How about cool ones from reputation rewards? I miss those days. Recently I remember the flame hippogryph.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Why are they putting the cooler mounts behind paywalls and behind ridiculous things you have to do? Even the new class mounts aren't that easy to get. Really not alt friendly either.

How about cool ones from reputation rewards? I miss those days. Recently I remember the flame hippogryph.

Heh, i rather go through these fun puzzles (minus the eternal maze) than grinding reps.

And thank god the requirements for the Broken Shore questline are lower now, most of them were cut by half.

That garish light golem thing is a rep reward. Most people thought it would be a store or raid reward. There's a bunch of Talbuks available from the other Argus reps.

I use the Molten Front hippo all the time. It is far, far more tedious than the class mounts and requires far more time.

Why can't they make it so followers/questnpcs/minions don't stand right on top of you? I mean...please? Please? Now my follower seems to like mounting and dismounting during and after fights for no reason. I'd just as soon not take a follower (doesn't help with pet classes), but you can get such nice bonuses from it (gold and supplies).

Why can't they make it so followers/questnpcs/minions don't stand right on top of you? I mean...please? Please? Now my follower seems to like mounting and dismounting during and after fights for no reason. I'd just as soon not take a follower (doesn't help with pet classes), but you can get such nice bonuses from it (gold and supplies).
Those bonuses work if you assign a follower who has a passive ability or activated one, as well. As long as they are assigned as a combat ally, you'll get the equipment benefits.

I don't use a bodyguard follower on anyone, but have a passive or activated ability one on most for the bonuses. Partly because bodyguards are just a pain in the ass on PvP servers and partly because of how bad the AI is.

Those bonuses work if you assign a follower who has a passive ability or activated one, as well. As long as they are assigned as a combat ally, you'll get the equipment benefits.

I don't use a bodyguard follower on anyone, but have a passive or activated ability one on most for the bonuses. Partly because bodyguards are just a pain in the ass on PvP servers and partly because of how bad the AI is.

Thanks! I had no idea about that...that's a big help.

Yam's

We're up to... is it three mounts now? The one that ends with the boss on the world version of EOA, the time-lost hippogryph and the lucid nightmare? Any I've missed? Any that date back earlier? I don't recall this sort of thing in earlier expansions, but it's been a while so I may simply have forgotten.

There was also the Riddler's Mind-Worm which had you follow notes all over Azeroth.

Zelias

Banned
Took me a few hours to do the maze. In the end I gave up trying to work out exactly where the warp points were and just focused on routes to get me from one landmark (orb/rune room) to another. If I've got one tip for people yet to do this, it's this: don't actually bring any of the orbs to the runes until you've found them all - the runes will disappear and it makes tracking harder when you lose a 'landmark' room.

Least I got the damn mount now. Also working on class mounts and Argus mounts right now - wonder what the mount droprate from the Fel-Spotted eggs is... I have about 10 across all my chars so far waiting to hatch.

These Krokuul Ridgestalkers either need to be

1 cheaper
2 have 3 health points
3 be immune to lethal poison on missions
4 allow you to take 3 units on a mission instead of 2

Or they are just a way to make people grind order resources

These Krokuul Ridgestalkers either need to be

1 cheaper
2 have 3 health points
3 be immune to lethal poison on missions
4 allow you to take 3 units on a mission instead of 2

Or they are just a way to make people grind order resources

We get one or two new other troops in the coming weeks as well. And I think you get the first one of each type you recruit each week cheaper.

And yeah the cost isn't necessarily alt friendly, but on my characters I've been maining, I easily have 50k+ order resources, so it's not a problem.

Savitar

Getting back into WoW after a pause for half a year or so, at one point I was so far ahead and now it feels like I'm behind with people flying. Thankfully only got the Legionfall rep to do to get that.

So what is the way to start getting class mounts?

i spent all my order hall resources on bloods a while ago and keep it at like 10k but with the coins and the krokuul guys being made of glass im having to actually grind

Top Bottom