• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warships Enters Open Beta

Bombless

How do the tie-in ships work? I remember for the WoT Girls and Panzer event, you had to rank up to a specific tank and then get a certain amount of XP to be able to unlock and keep the tank.
(No special sounds though :()

The Haifuri ships are premiums, you have to buy them.

There was a 6 months Arpeggio collaboration last year which gave 8 ARP ships, you missed that :(

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
They just need to add Kancolle ships and be done with it. lol

A15aXwc.png

Bombless

After 2 years of play I finally have a 19 points captain, my IJN battleships captain. It took forever because I never really bothered with leveling a captain up with flags/premiums, it's only when I bought the Yamato premium camo that his xp really took off.

The second in line to reach 19 will be my RN cruisers captain. I love the Minotaur and play it a whole lot and the premium camo is really, REALLY good. I am leveling a RN BB captain with Warspite/Hood too, I think he's up to 14 points now.

Concentrating on these two have kinda left my Dunkerque, Friedrich and Iowa unused but I do hope to get these up and running nicely again.

On the destroyers side i'm 5k xp off Fletcher, Akizuki is capped and Kagero is sitting kinda unused because IJN torpedo boats are meeeeh.

grmlin

So how do you guys like ranked with T6?

This must be the most passive gameplay I have ever experienced in this game. I somewhat like it, as long as I don't have to play with a CV.

Not many players at < rank 6 though, so I don't know if I'll find the time to rank 1 for the first time.

Askani

So how do you guys like ranked with T6?

This must be the most passive gameplay I have ever experienced in this game. I somewhat like it, as long as I don't have to play with a CV.

Not many players at < rank 6 though, so I don't know if I'll find the time to rank 1 for the first time.

For some context, this is my first ever ranked season...

A little frustrated with it. I'm stuck at rank 15. I don't play BBs enough to be a benefit to my team if I bring one out in my opinion, so I mostly stick to my Cleveland. However I just bounce between a win or a loss so I never gain any ground, and because I'm not a BB I don't get the top XP earner enough to not lose a star. I feel like I'm already as high as I get. If I have a good run I know it's going to be followed by and equally shitty run so it feels a little futile. I still play it though.

grmlin

For me it's not the first one, but I never had the time or patience to complete one in the past...

this time it's working quite well, currently at rank 3. I tried to reach the higher ranks as fast as possible, as the playerbase's skill decreases significantly after some time, as the potatoes manage to climb the ladder...

Askani

Just got one star into 13 tonight.

Yeah...I'm seeing alot of AFK players, YOLO cruisers, scared bbs, or dds that die in less than three minutes. Players that I assume wouldn't be in ranked, yet here they are.

Also...whatever this current operation is seems hard. 5 star'd the Raptor one last week a couple times, but I can't get above 3 stars in this one.

mitchman

Gold Member
For some context, this is my first ever ranked season...

A little frustrated with it. I'm stuck at rank 15. I don't play BBs enough to be a benefit to my team if I bring one out in my opinion, so I mostly stick to my Cleveland. However I just bounce between a win or a loss so I never gain any ground, and because I'm not a BB I don't get the top XP earner enough to not lose a star. I feel like I'm already as high as I get. If I have a good run I know it's going to be followed by and equally shitty run so it feels a little futile. I still play it though.

You don't need to be a BB to be top of your team. I assume you're using IFHE and hug islands, fire over them and stay hidden and never in the open? A cleveland sitting in cover and wrecking their BBs all game can easily be top of the team. It does require IFHE for those deck and bow pens, though.

grmlin

I don't give a single shit for my position on the result screen in ranked.

If I play a DD I play for the team. I rarely use a smoke for myself and I never overextend. In my Cleveland (the only cruiser I use in ranked) I sit behind an island and wait. There are some terrible maps for cruisers though without much cover. I only ever leave my safe position if I have to (torps or something) or if there is no danger whatsoever.

I have a feeling that the team with the most patience that camps a lot wins most of the times. I had plenty of games that ended with maybe only 3 or 4 ships destroyed because one team reached 1000 points.

I think thats why I actually enjoy it this time a lot. It's so different to anything WoWs in normal PvP, especially in higher tiers.

grmlin

I actually made it to #1 this time, wow.

In the end I used the Fuso most of the time. It was quite fun, as long as the weirdest potatoes stayed out of my matches. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I checked in and saw the Haifuri ships... then I looked at the prices and I'm like, nope. lol

Too bad, I probably would have paid some money for them, but not 25 to 50 bucks.

Bombless

I checked in and saw the Haifuri ships... then I looked at the prices and I'm like, nope. lol

Too bad, I probably would have paid some money for them, but not 25 to 50 bucks.

Yeah, they're not great either. And with the british battleships just being released, everything that floats just BURNS.

Ambulan

Neo Member
As the massive weeb that I am, I got Harekaze the day it was released..
The Akizuki guns are pretty fun to use with IFHE, so I'm happy at least : p

grmlin

Yeah, they're not great either. And with the british battleships just being released, everything that floats just BURNS.

LOL yes. Sailing my Zao stupid me thought angling the troll armor is a good idea. Then a Lion troll HE salvo introduced me to the new HE meta and 15k hp were gone. Yay

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So if I decide to buy one of the ships, is it worth getting the bundle? I'm not even sure what all those mod things are for.

grmlin

I'm really tempted to get both just for the voices. I kind of wish they just sold the captains.

You could try a sound mod first, maybe it's good enough?

http://www.modsworldofwarships.com/voice-mod-haifuri-akeno-mashiro-voice-wows/

anyway, the ship itself should be pretty decent if you like the JP DD playstyle.
The Akizuki is rotting in my harbour though, its so useless after the stealth nerf, has no role in the game and performs terrible. Very sad, it was so much fun :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I might take a look at that, although I wonder if they won't try to break them since that seems to be half the point of the dlc.

I'm slowly crawling my way up and I want to try carrier play, but man, battleships are so painfully slow.

AtlAntA

Requirements for the 2nd anniversary achievements.

1. Earn 400,000 credits in random battle
2. Destroy an enemy destroyer in random battle using any T5-T10 German destroyer
3. Deal 50,000 damage in random battle using Kongo, Myoko, Atago or Southern Dragon
4. Win a random battle using Admiral Graf Spee, Tirpitz, Leander, Fuso, Bayern, Budyonny or Farragut
5. Earn 2,500 commander exp in random battle
6. Deal 50,000 damage by main battery in random battle using any T5-T10 UK cruiser
7. Earn 1,500 ship exp in random battle
8. Destroy 2 enemy ships in co-op battle using St. Louis, Nassau or Wakatake
9. Earn 500,000 credits in random battle using any T10 ship
10. Deal 15,000 damage by main battery and 30,000 damage by torpedo in random battle using Minekaze, Hatsuharu, Shiratsuyu or Akizuki
11. Win a random battle using Shinonome
12. Win a random battle and get 1,000 ship exp using any T7 ship
13. Deal 30,000 damage by main battery and 20,000 damage by torpedo in random battle using Ognevoi, Udaloi or Grozovoi
14. Deal 30,000 damage by main battery and 15,000 damage by fire in random battle using any T5-T10 French cruiser
15. Earn a dreadnought in the Bismarck
16. Destroy 2 enemy ships in co-op battle using any T5-T6 ship&#65279;

AtlAntA

grmlin

One Supercontainer for every T10 you own and play. ;-) once!

AFAIK even the training room works.

I'm pretty sure they even removed the module SC for this. So it's camos, Flags, gold and premiums. Maybe ships. Don't know

mitchman

Gold Member
One Supercontainer for every T10 you own and play. ;-) once!

AFAIK even the training room works.

I'm pretty sure they even removed the module SC for this. So it's camos, Flags, gold and premiums. Maybe ships. Don't know

No, you can also get modules and ships. Normal SC, pretty much. I got 2 modules myself out of 14 SC.

AtlAntA

Im not sure if i like the direction wargaming is taking with this game. The whole clan and oil stuff isn't my kinda thing tbh.

grmlin

Im not sure if i like the direction wargaming is taking with this game. The whole clan and oil stuff isn't my kinda thing tbh.

Well, it's free bonuses with time. So I take it. I'm not interested in clan battles or anything like it. This game is "number generator the game" and clearly not much fun competitive.

I really don't know where the game heads to, though. Crazy unbalanced in times, broken ships across all tiers, CVs are broken as fuck... I didn't spent anything in a while.

AtlAntA

Well, it's free bonuses with time. So I take it. I'm not interested in clan battles or anything like it. This game is "number generator the game" and clearly not much fun competitive.

I really don't know where the game heads to, though. Crazy unbalanced in times, broken ships across all tiers, CVs are broken as fuck... I didn't spent anything in a while.

I agree the game isn't working as a very competitive game like overwatch. But yet i feel like wargaming is making a push in that direction which isn't working for me.

Generally speaking i don't like nor play multiplayer games. But yet i have put in hundreds of hours in this game and i liked most of it. Somehow this doesn't feel like a multiplayer game. Especially if you ignore chat for most of the time.

HariKari

They keep adding pay 2 win ships and diluting the skill required to play others. It's absolutely absurd. They don't listen to their testers at all. I fucking loathe this company.

Should be called "World of Battleships"

grmlin

It's pretty sad actually, as I had so much fun playing it in the past. The only MP only game I played over a longer period of time...

It's getting pretty absurd, though :(

BBs basically don't have citadels anymore
Cruisers get f**** from everywhere, at all ranges and angles
Playing DDs is exhausting because of all the counters added to the game. That fucking radar module you can slap on you Des Moines is just crazy.

And don't get me started with CVs, the most unbalanced shit. Terrible to play, terrible XP rewards, and still, if you are lucky and get the noob CV player in a High Tier match, it needs a complete braindead enemy to win.

I'll play the next ranked season again, as I had quite some fun the last season.

AtlAntA

Most of them, with 2-3 exceptions, will be uninteresting and pretty crap. At least they don't promote another BB HE firing meta (RN BBs, I'm looking at you!)

Yeah the Lyon is a pretty amazing ship. Very poor dispersion but 16 of those sweet crackling guns are just too good!

mitchman

Gold Member
Yeah the Lyon is a pretty amazing ship. Very poor dispersion but 16 of those sweet crackling guns are just too good!
Yeah, that one is quite fun. The tier 8 is garbage, really bad dispersion. Tier 9 seems ok. Rest is just bad or uninteresting.

Top Bottom