• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#WorldofWarcraft: Three New Expansions Announced, The "Worldsoul Saga" | Blizzcon 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member
Blizzard has announced new three major expansions at Blizzcon 2023, which will be part of a major Saga called WorldSoul:

The First Expansion (War Within) Releases in 2024. Pre-Purchase rewards include 3 days early access to the expansion for buying the heroic edition.
  • The War Within
  • Midnight
  • The Last Titan
F-CI-BmWAAAvijE

Last edited:
I dunno I just can't imagine anyone still playing this game 20 years later. Like obviously there is, it still pulls pretty good numbers, but where are they? I never see anyone talking about it online and really never hear anyone talking about it in real life anymore (when you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a WoW players back at its peak).

Mortisfacio

I dunno I just can't imagine anyone still playing this game 20 years later. Like obviously there is, it still pulls pretty good numbers, but where are they? I never see anyone talking about it online and really never hear anyone talking about it in real life anymore (when you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a WoW players back at its peak).

I work in tech, sister works for Twitch so I still know people at work who play or the discord I'm in with her and her peers, but other than that... everyone I played with since vanilla has quit besides one, but he's in the Navy so he only plays when he's home. Which isn't often.

Freeman76

The thing with WoW is these days its kind of a gated community lol, plenty of players though.

The one thing I hoped for was Phil to grow a pair and pay for this to be brought to Series X. Other MMOs play fine on console, they could do it.

Draugoth

Gold Member

My brother only quit WoW because he got a girlfriend.

Laieon

Awesome, can't wait!

WoW is my comfort game, especially this time of the year.

The thing with WoW is these days its kind of a gated community lol, plenty of players though.

The one thing I hoped for was Phil to grow a pair and pay for this to be brought to Series X. Other MMOs play fine on console, they could do it.

I was skepticalof this until I played WoW on Steamdeck. This definitely needs to happen.

Last edited:

Gudji

I'm much more excited for the league MMORPG than anything shown here today and that's probably like 4-5 years away and we know little to nothing. lol

next year WoW is 20 yrs old, this has to be the longest lasting game right? I know some mmo's are out there but not nearly as many players.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Game has bad rep, even if I was still playing it, I wouldn't tell anyone.

Expansions are probably going to be smaller. They're just looking to minimize player drop-off between releases and ensure they get paid more often.

They knew a regular expansion announcement would go over like a wet fart in church. So they put their heads together and came up with "I know, we will announce not one, not two, but three expansions all at once!! Genius!!!" Everyone high fives.

Laieon

Expansions are probably going to be smaller. They're just looking to minimize player drop-off between releases and ensure they get paid more often.

I'd be fine with this, but I'm also someone whose favorite part of expansions is the beginning. I love questing through new zones.

EverQuest 2 shows why they’ll never do it.

I'd argue that the MMO genre shows why they'll never do it. It's just not as relevant as it was in the 2000s. Kids aren't playing Maple Story as their free to play game anymore, they have tens if not hundreds of other options (have you heard of Fortnite or Warzone?). MMOs are niche now.

Anecdotally, I've played WoW since 2007 and I'm not entirely sure I'd play a "WoW 2" anyway. There are way too many things that wouldn't carry over, and I'd prefer to stick with what I know (and have earned/collected) over the years.

Last edited:

phant0m

I find WoW’s visual presentation and mechanics to feel very dated at this point. There are interesting things happening in the MMO space it’s just not in WoW.

Laieon

I find WoW’s visual presentation and mechanics to feel very dated at this point. There are interesting things happening in the MMO space it’s just not in WoW.

Funny how people interpret things differently, because I feel the exact opposite as you. I find WoW's art direction to be timeless, and I don't find anything other MMOs are doing notable enough to make the switch.

I agree with everyone who says WoW needs to drop the monthly fee at this point though, or at least make it an option with bonuses that are pretty much equivalent to those of equitable battle passes.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Been a long time since I've played an MMO and now I can only think how crazy it is that you are expected to pay $15 a month and when they drop expansions you're expected to pay for them too. Seems like a mad practice in 2023. This and FFXIV both still do it, not sure any others do.

Freeman76

Ive been thinking about playing wow again for a while. Missed the last expansion, havent played since the one before but my PC is out of date as shit, GTX970 🤣

Have even been tempted to pick up a new one just to play it again, I bet it doesnt take a lot to run this maxed out?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Why stop there? Bring it to Series S/X, PS5, Switch 2 and mobile.

Get it on as many platforms as possible.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Been a long time since I've played an MMO and now I can only think how crazy it is that you are expected to pay $15 a month and when they drop expansions you're expected to pay for them too. Seems like a mad practice in 2023. This and FFXIV both still do it, not sure any others do.

40-60 dollars for an exapnsion and the price of a five guys meal per month for minimal intrusive MTX/pay to win BS and constant massive updates every 3-4 months? I much prefer MMORPGs that are sub-only versus F2P with a sub offer.

The issue is that WoW is just... *bad*. Its been that way for years and, while I was hopeful that Christ Metzen would have cleaned up the current WoW team, I don't think that is the case.

Top Bottom