• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Character in a JRPG

th4tguy

shameful OP.

You want a terrible character?

ap8rAt6.jpg

^This stupid little asshole from Xenogears.

You shut your face hole right now. Every character in Xenogears was wonderful.

Worst character has to go to someone from ffviii . What a horrible game, story, and cast.

Tamanator

This guy.

I disagree. I really liked Luke, though he was a pain to begin with I thought unlike a lot of games he actually went through meaningful and realistic character development. Not to mention his earlier attitude was justified by the plot. Thus I think his characterisation was clever, especially since deep characters in JRPGs are unfortunately a commodity.

StingX2

gP3mntN.jpg

Great battle system, beautiful graphics, great soundtrack, the story is not great but has a great ending twist but .....that cast is the worst. Flat out worst

Aexact

How do you "demand empathy" from someone you handle like shit from the first second you meet them? And again: a 35 year old with half a braincell does not "demand" stuff from a 17 year old kid. An adult and a teenager - who has more responsibility? Luke *was* a brat, and his upbringing actually explains perfectly why it was the case. None of the main characters could "empathise" with such a completely obvious situation, which also makes them dumb beyond belief. But Jade et co put the *entire world in danger* because hey, they didn't want to deal with a brat like adults, they preferred to look down on him etc. Simply put: they had the power to change the situation completely but they did not. All they had to do was not act as idiots but as responsible adults who understand that a 17 year old is still growing up.

"Even if it is natural for a 17 year old, you had other characters supposedly his age in the party who were acting much more sympathetically which just made him look worse. "

No, actually. They all ganged up on him from the start. And again: the writers kept telling you he was a git, but the people who actually *acted like gits* were the rest of the party. Especially Jade.
I felt the 17 year old's actions were problematic enough and only through the game's plot did it contextualize why he acted the way he did so his irresponsibility made Luke unworthy of trust. He was influenced by Van anyhow so it's uncertain how things would've played out even if they did confide in him.

Some of the characters gave him the benefit of the doubt before he went ambassador mode, which is where they started actively shunning him. Ambassador Luke's callousness was amplified pretty well above what the party was used to of normal-but-acceptable in a funny way brat Luke. It was an important mission so Luke acting even more grating then usual wasn't easy to tolerate and he singlemindedly pursed his goal to the detriment of others and didn't seem to understand the suffering of others and constantly tried to pull rank in a toothless way. I don't think they were out of line, given how much Luke's (faulty) expectations clashed with the rest of the party.

smfh at people nominating Riki and Teddie and such. You are the reason every fucking Square lead is now a humourless, angst-ridden sociopathic asshole contemplating their navels for 3/4 of their games.

Cedric

Sue_Visual.jpg

Right Heeeeere. The VA's game is even worse but apart from that the game is wonderful.

wut.... is she like a balloon person or something? What's the deal with her leg/sock area? That does not look normal.

edit: OH, those are pants... my bad, it's like the same colour as her skin.

I felt the 17 year old's actions were problematic enough and only through the game's plot did it contextualize why he acted the way he did so his irresponsibility made Luke unworthy of trust. He was influenced by Van anyhow so it's uncertain how things would've played out even if they did confide in him.

"It wouldn't have worked even if I had tried" is not an acceptable answer in any real situation.

Some of the characters gave him the benefit of the doubt before he went ambassador mode, which is where they started actively shunning him.

Who gave him "benefit of the doubt"? I don't really remember anything.

Ambassador Luke's callousness was amplified pretty well above what the party was used to of normal-but-acceptable in a funny way brat Luke. It was an important mission so Luke acting even more grating then usual wasn't easy to tolerate and he singlemindedly pursed his goal to the detriment of others and didn't seem to understand the suffering of others and constantly tried to pull rank in a toothless way. I don't think they were out of line, given how much Luke's (faulty) expectations clashed with the rest of the party.

They could have avoided the entire issue by simply taking him seriously for ten minutes. They absolutely did not try that. Not once. They were all wallowing in how superior they were, compared to a 17 year old kid. And they didn't blame themselves for not trying to act nicer for quite a while. Like, you know, adults should do.

Maybe it was because I was about the same age as Jade when I played the game, but my thinking was, all the way through, "how the fuck can you be such an arrogant, ignorant jerk? can't you remember what you were like twenty years ago? he's twenty years your junior, you retard" Seriously, Jade was the typical self-satisfied bad teacher type, who would rather kick a problem child out of school than try to do their job if it gets a bit too difficult.

I don't think they were out of line, given how much Luke's (faulty) expectations clashed with the rest of the party.

They didn't try to correct this. They handled him like trash from the start. Seriously, this is pretty simple. The adults had the responsibility. They (Jade especially) simply threw it away and blamed the kid, from the start. They were a complete, total failure from a pedagogical (and human) point of view. Absolute trash.

Aexact

"It wouldn't have worked even if I had tried" is not an acceptable answer in any real situation.
Maybe, but Luke had every reason to trust Van over any of the other party members and given who they chose to trust, they were pursuing different goals to begin with. Erring on the side of not trusting Luke seems reasonable.
Who gave him "benefit of the doubt"? I don't really remember anything.
Well, before he was crowned ambassador, he got along tolerably well with half the party. When he started demanding they fall in line with what he wanted, he started driving them away. Tear in particular had a scene beforehand where she apologized for misunderstanding Luke's circumstances.

They could have avoided the entire issue by simply taking him seriously for ten minutes. They absolutely did not try that. Not once. They were all wallowing in how superior they were, compared to a 17 year old kid. And they didn't blame themselves for not trying to act nicer for quite a while. Like, you know, adults should do.
I think it's within reason that they didn't trust Luke from the way he was behaving. The goal was not to improve Luke as a person but to lend aid to the city.
Maybe it was because I was about the same age as Jade when I played the game, but my thinking was, all the way through, "how the fuck can you be such an arrogant, ignorant jerk? can't you remember what you were like twenty years ago? he's twenty years your junior, you retard" Seriously, Jade was the typical self-satisfied bad teacher type, who would rather kick a problem child out of school than try to do their job if it gets a bit too difficult.
I recall Jade claiming he'd make a poor teacher, I think? It's within his character. He's smug and self-satisfied but based on his flashbacks, he misunderstands how humans work, so that sort of flaw is within his character.

They didn't try to correct this. They handled him like trash from the start. Seriously, this is pretty simple. The adults had the responsibility. They (Jade especially) simply threw it away and blamed the kid, from the start. They were a complete, total failure from a pedagogical (and human) point of view. Absolute trash.
I don't think they treated him like trash from the start. Guy and Natalia were childhood friends and were nice enough to him to begin with, Anise tried to butter him up because she only knew him as a noble and Jade doesn't get along with anyone. Tear had several moments where she tries to understand him, asking questions of him, and explaining things to him. He was just being a burden later on. It was questionable if he deserved to be treated with better care then what they gave him based on how he treated them in turn. He continued to confirm worst suspicions about his character to the others when he was just anxious to stick to Van's secret plan.

Akhe

wut.... is she like a balloon person or something? What's the deal with her leg/sock area? That does not look normal.

edit: OH, those are pants... my bad, it's like the same colour as her skin.

AHahaha Her name is Sue from Grandia 01. Man, what an annoying character.

Despicable-Me-what-gif.gif

I don't think they treated him like trash from the start. Guy and Natalia were childhood friends and were nice enough to him to begin with, Anise tried to butter him up because she only knew him as a noble and Jade doesn't get along with anyone. Tear had several moments where she tries to understand him, asking questions of him, and explaining things to him. He was just being a burden later on. It was questionable if he deserved to be treated with better care then what they gave him based on how he treated them in turn. He continued to confirm worst suspicions about his character to the others when he was just anxious to stick to Van's secret plan.

Just chiming in on this, I definitely remember Guy and Natalia being pretty patient with Luke from the start and Tear trying to warm up to him before he went Ambassador on everyone. Now as for whether the party shunning him was justified, I need to replay/watch the major scenario in question to get a better read on how it went down, but I do remember thinking that poor communication really made things go in a direction that they didn't need to.

I personally was really fond of Luke and he's one of my favorite Tales protagonists. I know I'm in the minority on this one though, and for liking Tales of the Abyss in general, at least here on GAF.

Just chiming in on this, I definitely remember Guy and Natalia being pretty patient with Luke from the start and Tear trying to warm up to him before he went Ambassador on everyone. Now as for whether the party shunning him was justified, I need to replay/watch the major scenario in question to get a better read on how it went down, but I do remember thinking that poor communication really made things go in a direction that they didn't need to.

I personally was really fond of Luke and he's one of my favorite Tales protagonists. I know I'm in the minority on this one though, and for liking Tales of the Abyss in general, at least here on GAF.

You remembered correctly. Jade was at least partially aware of a very crucial element to Luke's history from the early parts of the game.

In fact, Jade's whole schtick seemed to be centered around being more aware of the situation than he let on and only actually being open after shit hit the fan. I never got why the fanbase gushed over him so much.

Poshul.jpg

Poshul:
Watch out.
Me won't lose againtht
any big, bad, ugry enemy!

Zoahart.png

Zoah:
HMPH!
WHAT MEANING IS THERE TO
A LIFE OF STRIVING AFTER
WEALTH AND POWER...?
IT IS NO USE TO YOU ONCE
YOU DIE!
AS FOR ME, I CHOOSE TO
LIVE IN BATTLE AND ONE
DAY TO DIE IN BATTLE.

Chrono Cross is among my very tippity top favorite games, but the cast is crowded and some of them differentiate themselves in a REALLY annoying way. Since most characters have preset lines regardless of who is in the party, they opted to give everyone their own unique "accent." Zoah just shouts. Poshul makes you wish you didn't know how to read.

Top Bottom