• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst sections/levels of the generation

jimi_dini

microwave hall in MGS4

Gy8kX3s.png

It is the worst when you finally notice that
you wouldn't have needed to press a single button
and also
Snake wasn't needed anyway

gotoadgo

Cortana from Halo 3, it isn't even close. That was one of the few times I was sitting there yelling at my TV "how did someone create this and think it was going to be fun?". I didn't even finish it, I turned that shit off and never went back.

The Silent Realm in Skyward Sword

gameguide_zelda_ss_screenshot_118_99248_screen.jpg

Whichever designer thought this was fun ought to be smacked in the face.

I absolutely loved these sections. Thought they were wonderful. Great design.

Whereas Twilight Princess' variant was awful.

edit: Dinosaur knows what's up!

Omega

Banned
i think it was mentioned already, but once you get to the swamp in Witcher 1

almost as bad as Uncharted 3 desert

NinjaBoiX

Gears 2 Boss

"Marcus, we're going to need you to hover your cursor over an almost static, completely passive target for a few seconds. It's all up to you now buddy! Think you're up to it?"

EGM1966

Most turret sequences - particularly Dead Space. They can work, but few developers seem able to make them do so.

Most QTE sequences - rarely used well and often used in the worst possible way

Most Boss fights - they well seems dry for freshness here, they are no officially a chore and often laughable in how they are executed.

Steroyd

Dragon Age - The fade (so bad my memories were repressed until mentioned in this thread)

Bayonetta - Motorbike/missile sections they went on for faaaaaaaaar to long.

Uncharted Golden Abyss - All fhe negatives of QTE's... but with touchswipe instead of buttons... ugh.

Killzone 2 - Radec on the hardest difficulty was a massive pain in the arse, it was the right kind of challenging up until that point.

Zertez

Final boss of Mass Effect 2. WTF?
The end boss of ME2 was the final straw for me, and killed any interest I had in ME3. I enjoyed ME1 a lot even with its flaws, the inventory system and elevator rides were bad, but the flaws didnt stop me from loving the game. ME1 had so many memorable moments, locations, events, and characters that you would love one second then hate the next, sometimes you would switch back and forth multiple times in the span of a couple minutes. The "bad" guys and overall story in 2 felt watered down like every other generic space game. ME2 did have several great new team mates, but the new villains in 2 were bland. The final boss of ME2 killed any interests I had to play ME3.

Zuly

Still playing through the game but I absolutely despise the intro sequence in Tomb Raider. It was boring and I did nothing but mash on keys while I watched Lara do everything. If I was supposed to be kept on my toes by having the whole island try to kill me, it didn't work. Instead, I was rolling my eyes the entire time.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
the wave of mooks in Far Cry three where you have to protect that CIA guy fixing the helicopter. This is made worse by the fact that I had cleared the enemy camps prior to this, so there shouldn't have been a wave of mooks to begin with.

I absolutely loved these sections. Thought they were wonderful. Great design.

Whereas Twilight Princess' variant was awful.

edit: Dinosaur knows what's up!

I have to respectfully invert your opinion in order to match mine. I certainly hated the Silent Realm (mostly because I am very bad at stealth).

My own most hated scene was the purple coins areas in SMG1, where 100 coins have been hidden in huge areas. Make one mistake and you're dead and you lose your 99 coins.

antitrop

The two shit parts in Academia in FFXIII, Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls, microwave hall in MGS4

Gy8kX3s.png
Funny, because as someone who has never played MGS4, the first time I heard about this scene was from a GAF thread where the OP claimed it as the greatest moment of the generation.

I'm not a Metal Gear fan, so I would probably see it closer to your way.

Bumhead

Banned
Sandstorm fight section towards the end of Uncharted 3.

Made me quit and never go back. Just summed up what was already a pretty terrible experience by that point. Uncharted 3 was fucking terrible, there are at least 5 or 6 sections from that game that could fit in this thread.

Resident Evil 6 is similarly bad. Various poorly implemented QTE's and terrible boss encounters.

AGoodODST

The microwave section in MGS4.

That boss in Dark Souls with the two dogs.

Cortana from Halo 3. Pretty much any stage in Halo 4 that featured Prometheans. In particular that one where you have to ride the slowly moving platform while you get shot at by guys with Binary Rifles. Terrible.

Garcia

This 1 damned room from Banjo Kazooie:
J2cVO6e.png

LOL. Absolutely.

I learned the hard way that in order to collect the 100 notes of that level this was the first section you'd have to attempt. If you survived that part then you could move on and complete the rest of the level.

Really? I would have thought Blighttown. LI wasn't a big deal for me compared to that, or even Sen's fortress. I liked that area a lot.

Blighttown is tough and laggy, but IMO it's a cohesive, well put-together level. Lost Izalith is none of those things. ORANGE!!

Top Bottom