• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy NEO if it featured full PlayStation backwards compatibility?

I wish people would stop making these threads... I would buy it in a heartbeat, but it's not happening. Stop playing with my heart!

LAA

That would probably be more of a selling feature to me than the extra power funnily enough ha ha. Quite a lot of PS3 games I've wanted to beat but can't see myself going back on PS3 to beathe them now. That and I'm not a fan of paying to play games I already own through PSNOW.
Can't see it happening anyway.

hetchi

The last Sony console I owned before getting a ps4 is a ps2. I wouldn't want this but it would be cool for others that have stuck with Sony.

64897467.jpg
They won't do it. Sony and third party are smart(asses) they know some of us will pay twice for old games and they know there is an audience who never experience these old games. I'm mainly talking about PS1/PS2 here.

PS3 is a matter of it's own, I get that it could tough to do BC since the PS3 has the CELL. I'm pretty sure one of yall is going to reply that it is possible to do BC on PS4 and if it is then shame on Sony.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I mean, I am buying it anyway but that would indeed be awesome. Especially if there was any kind of 4K upscale of PS3 titles. (That was better than what my Tv already performs)

That said, I prefer the remaster route. Just finished Gears Ultimate, and playing Gears 2-3 wishing they we're at the very least 1080p 60. Even if they couldnt make them in to full fledged remakes.

Say what you will about MCC, the fact that it started around halo 2 but they put all other campaigns at 1080p 60 as well was fantastic.

Would've loved to see the same treatment for Gears, but I think BC allowed them an "out".

tsab

That would the selling point for me get one now instead of waiting for the exclusives to pile up. Already I am already drowning in PS3 and WiiU backlog

I don't own a PS4 so, by default I'd choose the better model but Sony clearly doesn't give a shit about actual BC anymore, it's all about either selling "remastered" old games or selling PSNow subscriptions.

Mintydog

Neo Member
The best PC can't even emulate PS3 100% so I won't expect it to do that.

The best PC doesn't have a Cell processor in it and emulating it is very difficult. The first PS3s had the PS2 emotion chip in them so they could emulate it properly. If Neo has a cell processor in it I'm sure it could run it properly, since it won't be emulated.
Even the Saturn is really hard to emulate properly, doesn't matter what PC you have.

I wouldn't bother with Neo. I have a PC for constant upgrading, I won't bother doing that with a console, and I don't know if lot of other people would either, or else they might as well just buy a PC.

If it's a one off, they could get away with it. But then that would extend the PS4 lifecycle by a few years. If it's not a one off, then that won't go down too well with consumers. I know it's not a perfect analogy, but look what happened when Sega kept releasing hardware.

Rizific

I'll buy it if it plays 4k blurays. The fact that it plays video games (and hopefully better than a ps4) too is a bonus.

jimboton

No since that's impossible natively. Compatibility would mean emulation, which would mean input lag which would mean nope.

Would Sony do this? No, I don't think so. Looking at PS3 they seem to prefer either a) Remasters (The Last of Us), b)un-released in-house emulation and reselling (PS2 Classics on PS4), or c) PS-Now

Is it technically possible? Since XB1 can emulate the 360 It'd be foolish to say no way. The PS3 has less PPC cores than the 360 and the SPU's can probably be mapped to some compute cores on the GPU. Sony have all the tech specs and docs for the Cell processor and PS3. It's nothing like a group of amateur programs trying to reverse engineer the system.

Do I think Sony should do this? Possibly. I think they could utilise PS-Now better. There should be PS1 and PS2 games on Now by now. They really should have worked out a system where Now can either scan for discs in your Blu-Ray drive or your digital library and allow free-play on the games it finds. But then it's also be nice if UK Now had a bit more parity with US Now - too many games missing from our service!

Would it convince me to upgrade from PS4 to Neo? No, not at all. It's be a nice bonus feature. But I could wait till PS5 for it if that's the future. I'm happy with PS4 and Neo offers nothing for my outlook on gaming over the next couple of years,

Is BC going to be a thing going forward? Yes, I think Sony have tied their colours to the mast and PS4 is now the base machine. PS5, PS5.5, etc, will all play PS4 and Neo games.

What about pre-PS4? Sony are going to exploit their entire back catalogue, right back to PS1. There's already PS2 emulation on PS4. PS1 emulation will be next. PS3 emulation will happen eventually. And you'll have a range of PS1/PS2/PS3 classics you can pay for again and download.

What about Now? It will continue to focus on PS3 for the time being, with PS2 Classics coming direct to PS4. I don't think it will be too long before PS1 and PS2 games hit Now. I also think early PS4 games will start making an appearance on the service before PS5 is released.

Conclusion
  • If you want to play old Playstation games legally either a) subscribe to PS-Now, b) Pay for old games that have been emulated (PS2 Classics) via the PSN Store, or c) use eBay to get old machines and games
  • If you want to play old games and don't care about legalities - Get a high spec PC and look at ePSXe, PCSX2, and RPCS3

Coffinhal

Would you buy a NX if it could play all games from previous consoles + PC, and a brand new smartphone ? And if you preorder, you get a TV ?

Would you vote for Donald Trump if you got a PS4.5 after voting ?

Would you go to Burger King if Uncharted 4 was included in your menu ?

Would you eat your favorite game if it gave you a platinum trophy ?

Would you kill your mom if it'd allow you to get infinite life ?

Iokis

Cosigning the belief that it's either straight up impossible to do or if it was possible, Sony wouldn't do it anway.

But as someone who never owned a PS3 (damned WoW addiction) I'd be all over the Neo for that. And that would be the only reason I'd have to get one, as I don't have a 4k TV and I'm still not all that interested in VR yet.

MogCakes

No since that's impossible natively. Compatibility would mean emulation, which would mean input lag which would mean nope.

If they were -really- aiming to make it a "premium" device they'd literally pile PS2/3/4 hardware together into a monster. And I would buy it.

khaaan

My personal feature wants, ranked most wanted to least wanted.

-PS2 physical backwards compatibly
-PS1 digital backwards compatibly
-PSP digital backwards compatibility
-PS Vita digital backwards compatibility*
-PS1 physical backwards compatibility
-PS2 digital backwards compatiblity

*I would accept this even if it was only the PS TV compatible games.

Top 2 fulfilled would be an almost instant buy.
Top 4 would be an instant buy.

I didn't include PS3 because I feel like there would be technical limitations. If PS3 was feasible I would put both digital and physical towards the top.

Kssio_Aug

I still wouldn't buy one. But if it had backwards compatibility of the same level as XB1 with X360 that would be very interesting. Way more than the extra power imo.

Top Bottom