• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you ever travel to China for vacation?

IISANDERII

"Would you ever travel to China for vacation?"

No, but I wouldn't go to the US either so my criteria for vacation is probably more specific than most. I'm not interested in going to countries where they oppress their people, pollute the environment so heavily, etc.

I've already experienced enough of these kinds of places so now I want to visit places which know how to run a nation properly like Sweden for example.

MLCodest

Been there the past two years for 3 months and 4 weeks respectively. Truly a great country to travel (food, culture, nature, history, etc) to, but I wouldn't want to live there until they modernize a lot. I'll still look forward to going there once or twice a year since my girlfriend's take me home with her when she visits.

I would have said yes before I visited Japan. Now all I want to do is go back to Japan over and over again, sorry rest of the world

old

I would love to. But I'm a weird traveler.

My close friend is the opposite of me. He wants to go to some shrine. Smell some traditional burning incense. Wear traditional garments and robes. I don't care at all about "ancient culture", traditional customs, or any of that stuff. I'm not interested in what the Chinese were doing in 117 BC or 1017 AD. I'm interested in what the average Chinese citizen is doing in 2017. I'd want to see China's biggest cities. Biggest skylines. Biggest shopping districts. Biggest entertainment districts. Best places to grab food. See a music festival if they have one.

I hear China has some massive cities that would rival Chicago that I've never heard of. I want to go there and see those cities. What sports are they watching. What are their cinemas like. What's their version of fast food? Who's playing on their pop radio. What are their gyms, spas, and bathhouses like? I'm interested in modern contemporary culture.

Fbh

Absolutely.
Would love to visit Asia in general. China, Japan, Thailand, etc.

Someday I'll be able to afford it.

Camwi

As a big fan of ancient Chinese history and architecture, I would absolutely fucking love to visit there sometime.

EDIT - Why do people keep bringing up the pollution? Do you realize how huge China is? Avoid the metropolises and you'll be fine.

Sounds like you're a victim of those guided tours lol. They probably wasted all your time at those tourist traps around confusian temple/sun yet sen mausoleum.
Xinjiekou is the only place you should visit if you're only spending a short period of time in Nanjing

I was in a 7-day Hua Nan tour, but Nanjing was still my lease favorite. Oh yeah I visited a monster sized Buddha in that tour. It's got to be in that region.
2264257866_12086b872c_b.jpg

This was the place we visited in Nanjing, about 10 years ago.
2262368773_7835a0871b_b.jpg

2263178812_52a1e75430_b.jpg

Taken with a Fuji F700. Fuji made quality point and shoots.

China is great to experience, especially if you know someone who speaks mandarin and can read Chinese to travel with (means you can travel through the country yourself without having to join extremely overpriced travel groups). Otherwise you will have big problems because barely anyone speaks any sort of English (certain cities like Shanghai excluded, it's okayish there), even in cities like Beijing or Guangzhou.

Also restaurants and hotels are good and cheap in the big cities.

That said, getting a visa is seriously expensive, expect to pay AT LEAST $150+ just for that.

If you just want to dip your feet into the water and experience china for a few days I would seriously consider Hong Kong instead: Very cheap flights there, you can go there WITHOUT VISA and stay for 90 days, and almost everyone speaks English to some extend, especially in stores and restaurants (there often at. very high proficiency). Grab a cheap flight there and back for $400 something from e.g.Europe and stay for 4-5 days. Also shopping clothes there is ridiculously cheap.

Also be smart and go to Beijing if there is some big international event such as congresses, sport events or political meeting, there is zero air pollution and clear skies then (from my experience no problem to begin with in most of the famous and big east coast cities, particularly in Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hong Kong/Macau).

Source: Just travelled throughout China and Hong Kong for 3 weeks.

nded

I'd like to go in a fleet of tour buses full of other American tourists and only visit American restaurants while I'm there.

But seriously, yeah I'd be into it.

I went about 10 years ago to Xiamen for a few weeks, and then took a train trip to the Wuyi Moutains inland. I had a great time, but once was enough, I probably wouldn't return. My friend was teaching English there at the time, and we had a good friend of hers who was fluent in English and Mandarin guide us around, which made for a much better trip. She was also a bit of a celebrity there which was cool.

I found Xiamen to be a relatively clean city, didn't see the pollution that others were describing, although it was many years ago. And the Wuyi mountain area was pristine, it was beautiful. Between the two, I saw ancient temples, statues, modern skyscrapers, crazy food, and was rarely scared for my safety because of crime. Even the little bits of home (Mcdonalds, American style local restaurants, Pizza Hut, KFC) were taken seriously, and were of higher quality than I was used to. I loved the food. It was great. Breakfast didn't seem to really be a thing though - it was like morning lunch, lunch, and dinner.

There was a lot of culture shock which was exhausting, however. Literally everywhere I went I was looked at like a giant walking wallet. Everyone harassing me to buy their goods, every purchase involved haggling, people trying to scam me, beggars that wouldn't leave me alone. That got old really, really quick. I got used to the spitting pretty quickly, but I couldn't get used to the lack of lines, and everyone just pushing to get what they wanted. It got really scary getting onto trains where I thought I was going to get trampled. When there wasn't money or lines involved, I found people to be very nice and welcoming. At least on par with home, if not greater.

I was scared for my life every time I got in a car. It was absolutely insane. It was like driving in a school of fish. I almost got hit multiple times just walking on the sidewalk, when people would do a K-turn right up onto the sidewalk. Crossing the street required balls of steel.

In the city, being white wasn't a novelty, although I was treated somewhat differently. Out by the mountains and rural areas, I was like a zoo animal. The local communist leaders invited me to dinner and told me I was so big and strong I should be a knight in a hollywood movie (Im 5 7 and 160 lbs). Little kids would point and their jaws would drop. One teenager on the trains was fascinated with my arm hair and kept pulling it.

As far as fun culture differences... the beds... you might as well sleep on the floor. Every bed I was in looked so comfy, but was basically just wood with no mattress. That type of thing seemed to be a theme - something would appear very, very similar to home, but the different parts were SOOOOOO different, and usually just done in the quickest way possible. For example, putting up wallpaper with no drywall. I usually found that stuff quirky and fun though.

It was a great, great experience, but I don't know if I would have it in me to deal with the culture shock again for the same experience. I'd probably rather see someplace new.

Acyl

I went to China last year for vacation. Honestly I would only recommend it if you're going with someone who speaks the language. You have to accept the culture and enjoy it! Crossing the streets whenever wherever and driving like a maniac. It can be quite fun. I even cut the line for train tickets once but I asked people in line if it was ok and they were even surprised I asked. Typically people are extremely nice to foreigners, even security once was coming to check my bag then saw me and said nevermind go ahead. The young generation is less accepting of that wild behavior though and I only saw older people spitting and such. I didn't have a single bad experience and my food always felt and tasted clean. Even street food. Of course I passed on anything that was sketchy looking. It's also extremely easy to travel around with bullet trains and such. But seriously I would not have been able to do it without going with someone that spoke mandarin. Climbing the great wall was definitely the highlight of the trip. The only negative was the air pollution in northern China but I had a bunch of industrial quality masks I got from Amazon.

I will definitely be going again to see southern China.

I find China more interesting than the US because of its history alone. If you add the weird food and the exotic feel to it I'd say I'm more tempted to visit China than other western countries. But that's just my opinion. My only worry is the pollution, if it gets better I'd totally love to visit it.

I had a great time visiting China. I would really recommend travelling there, but mostly with someone who can speak Chinese. It is a game changer...Loved the food in Yunan and Sichuan especially. Infinitely better than what you can get here in the UK...

I'm interested in what the average Chinese citizen is doing in 2017. I'd want to see China's biggest cities. Biggest skylines. Biggest shopping districts.

This shit is no different than anywhere else in the world. A skyscraper isn't unique or mystical just because it's Chinese. Doing the weird shit that is the heart of Chinese culture is what motivates tourism, not eating their version of a McDouble.

I hear China has some massive cities that would rival Chicago

Shanghai is 10 times the size of Chicago. It's the largest city in the world.

"Would you ever travel to China for vacation?"

No, but I wouldn't go to the US either so my criteria for vacation is probably more specific than most. I'm not interested in going to countries where they oppress their people, pollute the environment so heavily, etc.

I've already experienced enough of these kinds of places so now I want to visit places which know how to run a nation properly like Sweden for example.

Ah, so you're only going to show respect for Aryan White nations. How progressive of you.

The average American isn't Donald Trump. The average Chinese isn't Xi Jinping.

Don't be an asshole.

I'd love to visit China. It's not high up on my list of Asian countries (Japan, South Korea, and Vietnam would be my first choices) to visit but I'd go for sure if the opportunity presented itself. I've only been outside of the US once and that was to Toronto, Canada a decade ago so I'm not too picky at this point, haha!

Usobuko

Banned
I've been to China way too many times as a kid it's not at the top of my to go list again.

But I will still visit the country in future, it's so big that I haven't fully explored yet.

lol
It was a business travel. Guys took us to have dinner there....XD
Though I didn't know about this restaurant until then.

That sucks. I figured you were pulling a Michael Scott...
capturedcaptions-com-my-favorite-new-york-pizza-joint-im-gonna-go-25306361.png

I mean the poster pretty clearly stated that that was the case ? Why do you need to be reaffirmed that they ate at bubba gumps ?

Are you dense? It's pretty obvious that the implication was that going to a foreign country and eating at an American chain restaurant is a lame thing to do. Keep policing the Internet tho. You're doing God's work

Why would you not want to go? As much as the US likes to paint China as some big mysterious bad guy, the country is a beautiful one with tons of culture, great food and friendly people. Yes it has pollution issues, and yes Facebook is banned, but it's still an amazing country to visit.

Hit up Taiwan and HK too.

My dad did a 15 day guided tour and he's never raved about any vacation he's taken like he has with that China trip. Maybe one day.

SoulUnison

Banned
I have traveled to China for vacation.
That said, I think I got enough out of it the first time, thanks.
The highlight of the trip was being served piping hot tea in taaaaallllllllll soda glasses without handles and the waitstaff becoming belligerent and rude when our party tried to point out that that's impossible to drink, at best - dangerous, at worst.

I'd much rather revisit Japan.

On a similar note, Greece is a fantastic country to visit, but Athens is terrible. Stop by quickly for the ruins, then leave to visit the superior rest of the country.

IISANDERII

Ah, so you're only going to show respect for Aryan White nations. How progressive of you.

The average American isn't Donald Trump. The average Chinese isn't Xi Jinping.

Don't be an asshole.
That's exactly why I'm not an asshole, because I'm not supporting the economies of oppressive regimes(and you are a racist if you think only European Nations can be free of oppression) . I'm rewarding countries which treat their citizens with dignity and acceptable standards of life.

Feeding into meagre wages and poor human rights isn't helping the citizenry in the long term.

n64coder

Yeah, but it's just something they put around construction sites to make it look better than some ugly ass fence. It's not meant to trick people into thinking there's no construction or anything; people, even chinese, are not birds you know.
The people taking that picture are most likely doing it ironically. Unless they're tourists from some deep deep chinese fly-over country. There are people there who are still impressed by color printing.

When I saw the picture, I thought it was something to allow people to take a decent picture in front of the city that would not be possible because there's always smog. Didn't know that it was to hide construction fences.

My close friend is the opposite of me. He wants to go to some shrine. Smell some traditional burning incense. Wear traditional garments and robes. I don't care at all about "ancient culture", traditional customs, or any of that stuff. I'm not interested in what the Chinese were doing in 117 BC or 1017 AD. I'm interested in what the average Chinese citizen is doing in 2017. I'd want to see China's biggest cities. Biggest skylines. Biggest shopping districts. Biggest entertainment districts. Best places to grab food. See a music festival if they have one.

I hear China has some massive cities that would rival Chicago that I've never heard of. I want to go there and see those cities. What sports are they watching. What are their cinemas like. What's their version of fast food? Who's playing on their pop radio. What are their gyms, spas, and bathhouses like? I'm interested in modern contemporary culture.

Same here. I find how people live/work today in other countries to be fascinating. My second area of interest would be nature sights.

In the city, being white wasn't a novelty, although I was treated somewhat differently. Out by the mountains and rural areas, I was like a zoo animal. The local communist leaders invited me to dinner and told me I was so big and strong I should be a knight in a hollywood movie (Im 5 7 and 160 lbs). Little kids would point and their jaws would drop. One teenager on the trains was fascinated with my arm hair and kept pulling it.

I spit out my drink when I read the "big and strong" part. LOL. Thanks for sharing your experience.

On a similar note, Greece is a fantastic country to visit, but Athens is terrible. Stop by quickly for the ruins, then leave to visit the superior rest of the country.

Greece is awesome, especially some of the islands that are not as popular as others such as Naxos. I enjoyed Athens but to tell the truth, I didn't spend a lot of time there.

I also want to visit India one day which I heard is a greater culture shock than some of the stuff that people described in this thread. I think I would be open minded and tolerant but who knows, I might have some of the same reactions that my coworkers have when they see slums/shanty towns next to a nice building.

Chichikov

That's exactly why I'm not an asshole, because I'm not supporting the economies of oppressive regimes(and you are a racist if you think only European Nations can be free of oppression) . I'm rewarding countries which treat their citizens with dignity and acceptable standards of life.

Feeding into meagre wages and poor human rights isn't helping the citizenry in the long term.
I don't think not visiting China is helping their citizenry either, long or short term. Though of course, this is your money, you can decide how to spent it.

And for what it's worth, the majority of Chinese people don't feel terribly oppressed by their government.

Lots of bold statements from someone giving zero details on where they will, in fact travel. Let's hear the approved list.

20cent

Banned
WTF? HK is the arrogant dickbag capital of the world.

What? lol, if you mean the douchebag expats you made friend with, then probably; but they never stick around very long once their banking corporation send them back.
Next time try to walk further than Lan Kwai Fong or Wanchai..

(I'm HK citizen, just in case)

When I was in college I took a 2 week trip for a geography credit. I had one of the best times there. Beijing, multiple universities, Confucius mountain, and lots of local culture. Everyone was very helpful and nice. It’s a very interesting and good experince. If your interested in going to China I’d so definitely go for it.

I went twice:
Hong Kong (yeah not China per second)
Hangzhou
Shanghai
Beijing

The air pollution is really bad sometimes, you feel like you're in fallout, your throat gets itchy and the visibility is like 100mts only due to fog.
But the cultural part is amazing, temples, landscapes etc
The food is also delicious (I'm a fan of japanese and Chinese food)

The places in China are not tourist friendly at all, (only Shanghai is), because they are interested in Chinese tourists from other regions, it's a really close country, so get ready to get lost and unable to ask for directions :), or have to walk a lot to find a place with pictures in the menu :). Young people usually speak some English, and they are kind enough to let you borrow their rental bikes (the apps doesn't take UK credits cards and they are all in mandarin)

Hong Kong is really English speaking friendly and amazing.
The visa is always approved, but you have to paid, there is a 5 days free one is you only go near and Shanghai.

So yeah, totally go, it's a unique experience.

CTLance

Short version: Hell yes. Fuck culture shock. What are you, some small-time brat?
Long version:

More than two decades ago, I went to Jinan (Shandong) for an extended eight week language course at a local university (Shāndōng Shīfàn Dàxué). Keep in mind, this was decades ago, long before the advent of smartphones and all the other modern conveniences. Also, while we did run around in other places during our inward and outbound transfer, most of my impressions are centred around that one city.

rambling of an old man said:
While there were plenty of times where my obvious western-ness and clumsy usage of the Chinese language resulted in jacked prices and extended taxi trips, in general people were friendly (if crafty) and both nature and culture (what's left of it) were really awesome. Well, if you discount the rivers and seas all being green with algae. Smelled kinda awful on hot days. Then again, soon after we got monsoon like downpours that cleansed away much of the filth. Well, much of it anyway. Littering was a major problem.

Climbing a local holy mountain (Tài Shān) and on the down trip coming across naturally growing weed led to some hilarious outcomes. Could have ended very differently if authorities had gotten involved, but we managed to keep it on the down low, thankfully. Sadly, it wasn't really good stuff. Still, better than nothing, and a huge payoff for scrambling up that blasted piece of rock and getting up at ungodly hours to watch a cloudy sunrise.

Markets were absolutely amazing. Anything from live scorpions to traditional Chinese medicine, imported Taiwanese comics hidden under the counter and handled like contraband, touristy stuff, massage stalls, old farts sitting around with their bird cages or doing tai chi... even practising Chinese opera. I could soak in that atmosphere all day long. We were mercilessly exploited though. Do not let your guard down.

And then you turn a corner and find a music store selling cassette tapes of local and international bands, hidden behind a tiny door plastered in posters. Most of the cassettes were even the genuine articles, not pirated! Probably. It was right next to a bar that had an open mic night where some of the local bands played. It was great to listen to Chinese rock, metal and whatever else modern was en vogue. Then a minute later you'd have some old guys singing some traditional karaoke style tag along songs... Really unique, sometimes grating on the uncultured ears of a non-Chinese, but always blissful. Some great talent. Hope they managed to make it big.

Of course, whenever we got stranded somewhere and our Chinese didn't suffice to solve whatever problem we found ourselves in, we were proper fucked and could only beg someone to call our teacher. No way to try and gesture and pidgin-English your way out of that, Chinese or bust, and even then, pronunciation and dialects often remained a major barrier.
Plus, some of the locals got a kick out of pretending not to understand the strange utterings of us big nosed aliens. One yoghurt drink vendor genuinely enjoyed letting me practice proper pronunciation on him every freaking morning on the way to our lessons. I spent so much time at his stall always buying the same thing - but his yoghurt was so good, and his crinkly smile was so infectious, I could not get mad at him no matter how often he tripped me up. The loveable bastard.

Trains were unexpectedly great. On time, speedy, cheap. I was surprised, really. Taxis were ... cheap. Everyone drove like madmen on a mission to rack up roadkill for the food stalls, but you got used to the chaos. Red ones were with air condition, yellow ones without, and then there were others that were even cheaper, but a genuine Russian lottery.

The food. The food! So much great stuff. So many questionable experiments. Plan for one or two days of spontaneous digestive system discharge syndrome at the beginning of the trip if you want to enjoy the variety of food stalls and local restaurants, which I hereby ardently promote. Be aware that you may be eating unidentified meat off a metal spike made from bicycle wheel spokes or happily order a "daily special" meal at a restaurant and then get one huge-ass sweet-and-sour carp per person that smells and tastes like moss. Or half a chicken, feet, bisected head and all, jutting out of a soup pot. You also may spontaneously receive the full attention of the manager of an "Italian" restaurant chain while walking past and get a whole hour long presentation and solicitation on the spot ... odd experience. Free "Italian" meal, though. For the most part: Do not try to eat western food in China (unless you are seriously confident in its quality) no matter how much you crave it. The trip to a Bavarian Biergarten was hilarious for me, being a native of German Texas.
It was nearby that I ate my one and only grilled honeyed cicada pupa. What can I say, I was hungry and a dare is a dare. Wasn't bad, really. Deep fried scorpions are way tastier though. Don't eat dog meat, it tastes like crap. Snake is good though. Just discard all your stupid ideas about what one should eat, and just enjoy the taste. Or not. Honestly, they love offal, and often you will end to be determined to push past a questionable presentation or smell. But, no pain, no gain, and the payout is ridiculously tasty. Just browse YouTube for all those food stall videos. There's a Canadian (I think) that I personally detest from the bottom of my heart. He gets to eat all that yummy food and gets paid for it, to top to off. Why wasn't that a thing when I was a youngster, dammit. So envious.

The farewell meal with our teachers was hilarious. Like, we were a dozen people, but they ordered enough food and alcohol to last fifty. We were hellbent on finishing off everything - we had been advised that leaving too much or too little would make our hosts lose face, so this was serious business. Then the businessmen at the table next to us succumbed to alcohol poisoning and barfed all over their table before passing out. Nearly set fire to their stuff as well, since they had some hot pot thing going. That was our salvation, since we otherwise would have died to ruptured stomachs and alcohol poisoning. Feigning feeling sick due to those neighbours got us out of that pickle.

Their tolerance for alcohol and milk is interesting. Due to Chine being such a huge ass country you can't really generalise things, but I was amazed that I could finally drink someone under the table. Wasn't much of a victory, but hey. I'll take what I can get. His girlfriend probably was all liver inside, though. She could drink even the most disgusting paint thinner and just walk it off.

Minorities were a sad sight to behold. Fenced in and abandoned by the government, left to dwindle away. That's all I'm gonna say on that. They have hopefully cleaned up their act on that front since tourism needs such local flavours.

Also, getting outright abducted into a classroom and surrounded by forty-odd polite but determined students hellbent on getting to the bottom of your thoughts on Hitler, or seeing your own dumb face on pretty much all local news stations getting interviewed about your stay in China (and Nazis) ... Yeah. Probably won't happen anymore, at least in the more westernised parts, but I bet rural China still has plenty of places where westerners are still something newsworthy. So if you plan to stay at one place for a while, account for that. Treat it as Zoo animal cosplay. Minus getting treats and doing tricks.

Going out on a limb there, but you will probably also still receive a good chunk of odd stares. Some of them even hostile or belittling. There are xenophobes, there are racists, and you will encounter them. At least back then, that was a problem. I believe it still is. So keep a stiff upper lip.

Also, not related, but don't even think about getting into fisticuffs. They can outswear and outbrawl you. Plus, your instincts will probably fool you. Our Gōngfū teacher was half as tall as me, thin like a weed, but somehow still all muscle and could have bent all of us into a pretzel with both hands tied behind his back. Some northern tribe people will look down at you from a height of two-plus meters. You will never know whether someone won't turn out to be some secret undercover street fighter. Seriously.
In case of annoyance, call your lifeline and get out. Chances are, there's already a bunch of operatives on standby to remove the unsightly drunkards. Just allow them to take care of the problem out of your sight. That was a scary evening, and not due to the drunkards. Those guys came out of nowhere way before the police should have realistically been able to show up. Or maybe I'm retroactively paranoid.

I had loads of fun and can only recommend a trip over there for anyone with properly adjusted expectations.

If you can't speak Chinese and have no sense of adventure, then just stick to the touristy stuff. You will miss out on many awesome local adventures (both good and bad) and you will be corralled like cattle from point A to point B (with point B probably sharing their profits with the local guide) but in general, you will have a damn good time, sheltered as it may be. Even if it's the Disneyland version of China, it will still be worth it. Definitely. It's such an incredibly huge and diverse country with a rich history and unique culture.

Stay outta Beijing though unless you want your lung to turn into a black cancerous growth. That was a problem back then already, and it's only gotten far worse from what I hear. It's probably better to stick to the smaller cities and only do day trips into the big ones.

The really good stuff is when you get ambitious, probably best during your student days. Learn some Chinese, grab your internet device, group together, road trip time. Make sure you have a safe backup plan in case you get lost, adhere to local laws (cannot stress this enough), and then swim like a fish in this delicious thoroughly alien yet oddly familiar atmosphere. By now the people should be a bit better with English and foreigners, and given the tremendous size of China, you can adjust your experience seamlessly between "luxurious city life" and "rural wilderness". Go knock yourself out, and don't forget to also visit other parts of Asia. Its huge, it's diverse, it's fascinating, tremendously interesting, disgusting and appalling. A unique mix that has to be experienced.

Top Bottom