• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you like a glass of plastic with that order?

I guess i am already dead, i drink the last 20 years bottled water
Same but I don't think there is other options for me. It's either that or tapwater, which is full of lime and all the other shit over here where I live and the whole pipe system was renewed this past year lol.

ka8Tzhy.jpg

CGNoire

We don't really know what the effects of other kinds of microplastic consumption are, e.g. the nylon particles from water filters. Could be harmless. But we do know that the phthalates from disposable plastic water bottles have a significant negative impact on sex hormones. For example, a study at an infertility clinic in Taiwan showed an inverse relationship between phthalates levels and fertility in patients. Many such studies now re: effects on fertility and testosterone levels. Phthalates are bad news. Another study showed that they can disrupt ovarian function in women too.

Given that, I think it's wise to at least drink from glass or stainless steel containers and minimize consumption of liquids from disposable plastic bottles and use of plastic containers for food.
What about wax cups?

Sakura

Testosterone levels have been decreasing worldwide by around 1% per year. Some of this can be attributed to lifestyle changes, but not all. Microplastics (particularly phthalates) in the bloodstream have been linked to endocrine system disruption, especially testosterone production.

I go with reusable metal bottles whenever possible, but avoiding disposable plastic containers entirely is a difficult proposition in the modern world.

100 years from now our descendants will probably look back in horror at all this.
There is a lot of talk about how people are more likely to suffer from various conditions that were less prevalent in previous generations, for example allergies, asthma, down syndrome, etc. I remember even reading about how male pattern baldness is happening earlier on average (not sure if true on that one).
I'm sure lifestyle and such is a factor, but something I've been wondering lately is how much of this is a result of people having children at older ages. Women have been having children later and later in life, with the average age in the US being around 30 years old now.
This is from census.gov:
fertility-rates-declined-for-younger-women-increased-for-older-women-table-1.jpeg

The fertility rate below 30 has dropped significantly, while the over 30 has gone up quite a bit, with a 67% increase for women aged 35-39, and 132% increase for women aged 40-44.
It's known that older women have a much higher chance of having defects in their children. For example, from webmd: "If you are age 25, the chance of Down syndrome is about 1 in 1,250. If you are age 35, the risk increases to 1 in 400. By age 45, it is 1 in 30."
Maybe it could even have an effect on testosterone levels (I don't see why not).

I think that age of mothers could be a big factor that has maybe gone a little overlooked.

I was thinking on this a lot last year. Birth rates are dropping globally, the cost of living and raising a child is far more expensive than when our parents were our age, and the growing trend of LGBT and Gender Fluidity amongst Gen Z leads be to believe that there will be far less babies being born in the decades to follow. Gen Z might be truly fucked when they reach retirement age, because there may be a serious shortage of doctors, nurses, and young people to take care of them.

Gen Alpha is going to have their work cut out for them. There's an old saying:

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times."

Alpha will probably be the most important generation since the Greatest Generation. Or one would hope.
The generation that had their brain turned to mush with devices and think skibidi toilet is funny? May god save us all.

Trilobit

I bring with me my glass bottle with silicone protection in my daily life. We have great water in my country so there's no problems filling it up. It's also easy to clean it with boiling water to keep it hygienic. And I probably save a lot of money in a year. I put some lemon juice in it if I want to have some good taste.

Sleepwalker

Our tap water is shit, tastes awful and doesnt sit well in my stomach, but plastic bottled water is terrible too.

We ended up buying a water distiller and that's how we drink our tap water.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
excerpt from CBS News (USA) article dated 1-9-2024:
Bottled Water Contains 100 Times More Plastic...

"People are exposed to microplastics when they breathe, drink and eat, according to health officials. The human body naturally flushes most microplastics, but some extremely small particles can remain in our systems. The study's researchers said that
"nanoplastics are believed to be more toxic since their smaller size renders them much more amenable, compared to microplastics, to enter the human body."Researchers are unsure just how dangerous microscopic pieces of plastics are for people.
The World Health Organization in 2019 said that the potential hazards associated with microplastics come in three forms: from the particles themselves, chemicals that make them up and "microorganisms that may attach and colonize on microplastics,
known as biofilms." At the time, WHO technical officer Jennifer de France said the organization was not alarmed. "With the data that we have, we can say that we believe the risk to be low, but at the same time, we can't rule out conclusively that there
might never be a risk in the future," de France said in 2019.

Bottled water products in the U.S. are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration. In general, the FDA does not comment on specific studies. A spokesperson explained that when studies come out, the FDA "evaluates them as part of the body of evidence to further our understanding about a particular issue and assist in our mission to protect public health." The agency said it is reviewing the findings of the nanoplastic study.

Current regulations require the water to go through filters that remove particles larger than one micron— .00004 inches —in size. From source to finished product, a multi-barrier approach helps prevent possible harmful contamination to the finished product as well as storage, production, and transportation equipment," the International Bottled Water Association said in a statement. "Many of the steps in a multi-barrier system are effective in safeguarding bottled water from microbiological and other contamination.
The association also noted there is "no scientific consensus on potential health impacts."

The whole thing is fked. Is there going to be a class action lawsuit? Is anyone going to be held accountable? The food industry is enormous. Did anyone know the Smithfield brand (one of the largest food makers) was owned by China? Anyhow, food industry lobbyists are full of deep pockets. Ever since plastics were used to seal, ship, and store foods, it seems the health of many people across the world have deteriorated. While food manufacturers cut costs by using plastic for shipping, storage, etc. they didn't give a shit about it turning people into Gumby and Pokey. It was cheaper and they didn't care to have it researched for safety until well after it's integration. I did my small part by switching from plastic to wooden kitchen utensils. Storage bowls and cups next. It's a start i guess.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
I'd guess the popular brands are Nestle and Coca-cola related. What was that Coca-cola brand of water that was made to keep you thirsty?

It's total bullshit how Columbia University didn't want to name names. By law, they should be required to or fined. It's in the best interest of human et al, safety. Big thumbs down for Columbia University

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It's total bullshit how Columbia University didn't want to name names. By law, they should be required to or fined. It's in the best interest of human et al, safety. Big thumbs down for Columbia University

Does it matter? I imagine it's not these specific brands, it's just plastic containers in general.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Does it matter? I imagine it's not these specific brands, it's just plastic containers in general.

It sure does matter. Because people wouldn't buy the brand(s) if they knew. Columbia University (Lamont-Doherty lab) is with witholding the name brands of the bottled water they tested.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It sure does matter. Because people wouldn't buy the brand(s) if they knew. Columbia University (Lamont-Doherty lab) is with witholding the name brands of the bottled water they tested.

Huh? Again, it's not about brands but about the containers (plastic bottles). Their recommendation shouldn't be: avoid Nestle or avoid evian but: avoid plastic bottles in general.

had one additional thought on this. Are we even surprised? We are a society that now has microwaveable steamer bags for vegetables. We bathe our foods in plastic bags for sous vide.

Everyone claims it’s safe but we know that’s probably not the case. I don’t care if a company claims something is BPA free.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Huh? Again, it's not about brands but about the containers (plastic bottles). Their recommendation shouldn't be: avoid Nestle or avoid evian but: avoid plastic bottles in general.

Of course a recommendation should be to avoid the bottles/plastics all together, that's a given. What I'm saying is , there should be nothing withheld from the scientific report(s). When there's PROOF in the data, names need to be published and publicized. Reason being, so these companies can get maybe their products corrected. Further, if the companies knew about it (harmful effects of plastics) all along then that's a whole separate fish to fry, smh

Last edited:

Peter303

The article mentions that the majority of the plastics is from the filtering, rather than the bottles.

They were unsurprised to find tiny bits of PET, as that’s what the bottles were made of. However, the amount of PET was dwarfed by the amount of polyamides, a form of nylon used in the reverse osmosis filters that water is run through before bottling.

Other plastics confirmed in the water in microscopic quantities include polystyrene, polyvinyl chloride and polymethyl methacrylate, also known as plexiglass. But only 10% of the nanoparticles analyzed could be classified as one of those seven known plastics, the researchers found. The origin of the rest is unknown.

I mentioned Coca-Cola as they were using reverse osmosis to filter their water, details about their shady practices for their Dasani brand are
here

Last edited:

JCK75

A lot of plastic actually can't be recycled and resued. Where do you think they're putting all that plastic many states are requiring you to recycle?

200.gif

For a while they were paying China and India to "Recyle it" which I think in their native tongue means through it into the ocean.

GeekyDad

Yup...

And it ain't new. This shit's been in our environment since the beginning of the industrial age, exponentially condensing whilst we kid ourselves about it. Eh, we'll just leave it to the next gen to figure it out.

Oh, wait...

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sigh, I've been drinking bottled water exclusively for years. There's a half empty plastic bottle of water next to me right now.
This stuff is probably all up in my system.
Well, now that I know better I can do better. I'm cutting plastic bottled water from my life right now... I'll switch to a metal water mug and just drink the filtered water from my fridge.

...but oof I've been drinking plastic bottled water for so long...

Last edited:

-Minsc-

While I go and plumb the potable water system in your home with cross-linked polyethylene tubing.

I remember it was until sometime in the early 2000's here we still had glass pop bottles. Eventually keeping the bottling plant open was no longer worth the votes, probably. Miss those 20 and 40 cent deposits. Now we only get 5 cents back from the plastic bottles and cans.

Edit: Based off my two minute thought study while having a shower I have come to the conclusion that God is using humanity to cleanse the earth of our own plastic problem.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Just exercise and cut weight and eat sulfur rich veggies to break apart and get rid of old tissue that accumulated all the toxins and plastics and heavy metals and plastics and then make new tissue. Rinse and repeat like a dog shedding their fur break down and get rid of old cells

Edit: bodybuilders gotta be cool with losing their gainz tho lol I don’t understand why athletes can’t just use roids to get back to their previous weight that they reached naturally if a fighter reached heavyweight naturally buts to drop weight and fight at middleweight and then jump back up to heavyweight why can’t they use roids to get back to a weight they already achieved naturally ? Then once they get back to that original weight they can’t use roids anymore to gain anymore muscle mass they gotta do it naturally

Last edited:
Top Bottom