• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you like a glass of plastic with that order?

I regularly drink Volvic while at the gym.

kermit gulp GIF

Madflavor

Testosterone levels have been decreasing worldwide by around 1% per year. Some of this can be attributed to lifestyle changes, but not all. Microplastics (particularly phthalates) in the bloodstream have been linked to endocrine system disruption, especially testosterone production.

I go with reusable metal bottles whenever possible, but avoiding disposable plastic containers entirely is a difficult proposition in the modern world.

100 years from now our descendants will probably look back in horror at all this.

I was thinking on this a lot last year. Birth rates are dropping globally, the cost of living and raising a child is far more expensive than when our parents were our age, and the growing trend of LGBT and Gender Fluidity amongst Gen Z leads be to believe that there will be far less babies being born in the decades to follow. Gen Z might be truly fucked when they reach retirement age, because there may be a serious shortage of doctors, nurses, and young people to take care of them.

Gen Alpha is going to have their work cut out for them. There's an old saying:

"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times."

Alpha will probably be the most important generation since the Greatest Generation. Or one would hope.

zenspider

Tap water and a Brita water filter and changing the filters each month seems like the best option.
"The most common type was nylon -- which probably comes from plastic filters used to purify the water" ... I wonder how different it would be for home filters like Brita, Pur, etc.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I’ve been slowly converting all my food storage and drinking containers to glassware and stainless steel over the past year. Plastic is useful, but we’ve clearly relied on it too much.

Going down memory lane, on deployments the military relies heavily on bottled water. That shit sits on pallets, sometimes under the hot sun when lazy fucks don’t put it somewhere where the sun doesn’t directly shine on it. I can only imagine how much microplastic I consumed during that time of my life.

On Brita water filters, they don’t do much of what you think they do. I highly recommend you look up your local municipality’s water department website and read the annual consumer confidence report. It’ll tell you exactly what’s in your water and whether anything violated the maximum concentration levels, everything from arsenic to radioactive materials.

nkarafo

You're basically drinking out of a plastic bag:

Ι don't get it though. What's the point of adding plastic to that. Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to just use the aluminum as is? Unless it's something i'm missing since i have no idea about chemistry.

Edit: Apparently it has to do with avoiding both the possible metallic taste and corrosion the metal.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
My city water hits both a filter system and Rheem softener unit before getting to my fridge with a filter. We do buy bottled and this is worrying but we've been weaning off the bottled for a while and constantly advise the wife to not waste money for cost. We have all these systems in place and they still buy it sometimes.

That and he kids leave the bottles and caps everywhere which is really annoying.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ι don't get it though. What's the point of adding plastic to that. Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to just use the aluminum as is? Unless it's something i'm missing since i have no idea about chemistry.
Acidic soda will corrode the aluminum over time and contaminate the liquid with aluminum. It's not actually a good vessel for drinks directly. But as a shell it's cheap and lightweight, and the aluminum is recyclable.

GHG

I drink bottled water daily, in fact it's the only type of water I drink. Doomed

Same here, don't have any choice where I live unfortunately.

The tap water here is absolute ass and the piping work in the buildings is even worse. No amount of filters is fixing what comes out of these taps.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Interesting. Thanks for posting. I use a water distiller myself. I used to use the filtered pitchers, which are presumably better than bottled water (with respect to these microplastics, anyhow).

Let's not even talk about what you can find in tap water. Anyone for a glass of water with a dash of toilet paper, antidepressants, and tampons?
pseudomonas I guess if you're in oregon lol

Last edited:

GHG

Are cost and safety the only reasons why glass is not more commonly used for drinks like water?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
My wife's friend and husband were over the other night with a big bottle of Fiji water while we had our trusty hydroflasks...I dunno how the conversation came up, but wife's friend said she'd actually taken a blind taste test between different waters and picked out Fiji and said it was her preferred brand.

I had to send her this link and tell her she loves the taste of plastic.

Puscifer

Testosterone levels have been decreasing worldwide by around 1% per year. Some of this can be attributed to lifestyle changes, but not all. Microplastics (particularly phthalates) in the bloodstream have been linked to endocrine system disruption, especially testosterone production.

I go with reusable metal bottles whenever possible, but avoiding disposable plastic containers entirely is a difficult proposition in the modern world.

100 years from now our descendants will probably look back in horror at all this.
I started TRT recently and can say it's like a light switch went off and I can tell you it's been a marked difference in realizing just how "present" I felt in my entire life. My shit was in the 200s in my 20s but I couldn't get therapy, I'm starting to see why it's being recommended so much lately.

So are there any filtration systems that anyone here recommends?
Reverse osmosis. "Pure water" places have been popping up that do it as it's really the only way because even the best water filters can't get rid of it. Use glass and wood when possible in the kitchen. You aren't ever going to get rid of nano plastics (since it's been found in the fucking rain!) but you don't have to subject yourself to it more than you have too.

Last edited:

Jsisto

I’m hardly an expert and I myself try to drink out of mostly glass and metal in general….but I feel like this whole micro particle thing is being way overblown. We breathe and swallow millions, billions of toxins every day that our body is equipped to deal with. True, this is synthetic but I’d be willing to bet most of the issues with testosterone, etc., have more to do with modern diets than what we drink our liquids out of. I feel like the environmental aspect of plastic is the bigger concern. Ok you can attack me now.

Ownage

Washington (AFP) – Bottled water is up to a hundred times worse than previously thought when it comes to the number of tiny plastic bits it contains, a new study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences said Monday.

Using a recently invented technique, scientists counted on average 240,000 detectable fragments of plastic per liter of water in popular brands -- between 10-100 times higher than prior estimates -- raising potential health concerns that require further study.

"If people are concerned about nanoplastics in bottled water, it's reasonable to consider alternatives like tap water," Beizhan Yan, an associate research professor of geochemistry at Columbia University and a co-author of the paper told AFP.

But he added: "We do not advise against drinking bottled water when necessary, as the risk of dehydration can outweigh the potential impacts of nanoplastics exposure."

There has been rising global attention in recent years on microplastics, which break off from bigger sources of plastic and are now found everywhere from the polar ice caps to mountain peaks, rippling through ecosystems and finding their way into drinking water and food.

While microplastics are anything under 5 millimeters, nanoplastics are defined as particles below 1 micrometer, or a billionth of a meter -- so small they can pass through the digestive system and lungs, entering the bloodstream directly and from there to organs, including the brain and heart. They can also cross the placenta into the bodies of unborn babies.

There is limited research on their impacts on ecosystems and human health, though some early lab studies have linked them to toxic effects, including reproductive abnormalities and gastric issues.

To study nanoparticles in bottled water, the team used a technique called Stimulated Raman Scattering (SRS) microscopy, which was recently invented by one of the paper's co-authors, and works by probing samples with two lasers tuned to make specific molecules resonate, revealing what they are to a computer algorithm.

They tested three leading brands but chose not to name them, "because we believe all bottled water contain nanoplastics, so singling out three popular brands could be considered unfair," said Yan.

The results showed between 110,000 to 370,000 particles per liter, 90 percent of which were nanoplastics while the rest were microplastics.

The most common type was nylon -- which probably comes from plastic filters used to purify the water-- followed by polyethylene terephthalate or PET, which is what bottles are themselves made from, and leaches out when the bottle is squeezed. Other types of plastic enter the water when the cap is opened and closed.

Next, the team hopes to probe tap water, which has also been found to contain microplastics, though at far lower levels.
That's a lot. Would be interesting to see if plastic bottle manufacturers can tighten up their standards.

Go_Ly_Dow

Research update: the evidence for binchotan seems anecdotal at present from a quick google. Potentially it softens the water a bit which will change the taste in a subtle way, but nothing concrete.

❌Bottled water (too many plastics)
❌Filtered jugs (too many plastics)
❌Tap water (it doesn't taste great here, but is drinkable so I'll use it for now)
❌Binchotan (inconclusive)

Looking for a saviour here.

Last edited:

Toons

Speaking as someone a generation removed from you, we're far too broke to have kids.

Good luck with that descendants thing XD

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
EviLore EviLore and other h20 junkies, any thoughts on using binchotan charcoal sticks for water filtertration rather than the plastic filter jugs?

I'm currently researching. :geek:

Sea Ocean GIF by Conscious Chemist

We don't really know what the effects of other kinds of microplastic consumption are, e.g. the nylon particles from water filters. Could be harmless. But we do know that the phthalates from disposable plastic water bottles have a significant negative impact on sex hormones. For example, a study at an infertility clinic in Taiwan showed an inverse relationship between phthalates levels and fertility in patients. Many such studies now re: effects on fertility and testosterone levels. Phthalates are bad news. Another study showed that they can disrupt ovarian function in women too.

Given that, I think it's wise to at least drink from glass or stainless steel containers and minimize consumption of liquids from disposable plastic bottles and use of plastic containers for food.

Ownage

Karens will love this.

Jinzo Prime

I started TRT recently and can say it's like a light switch went off and I can tell you it's been a marked difference in realizing just how "present" I felt in my entire life.
So did it get rid of "brain fog"? Sometimes I feel like an absolute zombie and wonder if it's a hormone issue.

I am going to continue drinking bottled water as tap water has too many pollutants from pipes and storage reservoirs that can only be removed with industry grade water filters, which require a major initial investment and maintenence. Microplastics may very well be synonymous with microfabrics that have polluted water for centuries. I also do not see myself using boxed water.

Last edited:

Puscifer

So did it get rid of "brain fog"? Sometimes I feel like an absolute zombie and wonder if it's a hormone issue.
Yes, my sense of well being is crazy. I understand "feeling people" now and it's been a major adjustment, I would absolutely get your levels checked. My levels were 230s in my mid 20s but was told not to worry and that testosterone wouldn't help, a lot of things got worse as I've gotten older (34 going on 25) and everything from muscle loss to libido was going to shit, despite me regularly working out i was in pain and not just sore, but PAIN!

First thing I would definitely do is try clean diet first and see if just not eating anything processed, eating out and just whole foods clears your fog. I'll tell you more than anything combined with TRT it was the greatest combo, but everyone's body is different

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Come on man stop spreading your evil lore 🤭. I kid, I kid. Yea this is disgusting, but not surprising at all. I stopped drinking bottled water a couple of years ago because it always tasted a little off to me for some reason.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Research update: the evidence for binchotan seems anecdotal at present from a quick google. Potentially it softens the water a bit which will change the taste in a subtle way, but nothing concrete.

❌Tap water (it doesn't taste great here, but is drinkable so I'll use it for now)

There isn’t a savior option, save pulling your own water, running it through a multistage custom filter, and then boiling the final result before drinking. And even then, the water you made is only good for a few days before bacteria take root.

Public drinking water systems are the closest thing you have in terms of convenience. If you’re unsure of your municipality’s trustworthiness, you can go to your local Ace Hardware and grab one of their free water testing kits which goes to a third party lab. It will only test a limited number of things, but you can compare your results to the last consumer confidence report and see how close they are. If the results are way different, you can contact the municipality and inquire why your results are off.

Last edited:
I’m hardly an expert and I myself try to drink out of mostly glass and metal in general….but I feel like this whole micro particle thing is being way overblown. We breathe and swallow millions, billions of toxins every day that our body is equipped to deal with. True, this is synthetic but I’d be willing to bet most of the issues with testosterone, etc., have more to do with modern diets than what we drink our liquids out of. I feel like the environmental aspect of plastic is the bigger concern. Ok you can attack me now.

It's as old as history. Otzi's lungs were fucked from soot, likely from open hearth and copper smelting. So as long as we've been keeping ourselves warm and fed from cooked food we've been destroying our bodies slowly.

Synless

Stainless steel too. A S'Well or Hydroflask is a great everyday carry item.
I’ve been drinking out of a yeti for years exclusively for my water. I really need an all stainless cup though as yetis still have the plastic tops.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Tap water ran through my filter. Haven't bought bottled water in years. Our tap water is pretty good, but i still run it through a filter.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

Ugh... I... use a giant plastic bottle, those 5 gallon-ones? And refill my reusable, huge insulated, metal jug... but.. Opting for a glass 5 gallon shouldn't be too difficult, but the weight addition calls for another unit to fit the purpose.

Ceramic?

Last edited:
Stainless steel too. A S'Well or Hydroflask is a great everyday carry item.
The issue is where do you get the water, because every water filter is made of plastic apparently. Even going to a store and buying distilled water won't work because you're bringing it home in a plastic container

I started TRT recently and can say it's like a light switch went off and I can tell you it's been a marked difference in realizing just how "present" I felt in my entire life. My shit was in the 200s in my 20s but I couldn't get therapy, I'm starting to see why it's being recommended so much lately.

Testosterone levels are considered low below 300, if you were at 200 then you were clinically diagnosed with Low T and you should have gotten therapy. If they tried to deny you based on a clinical diagnosis you could have sued their asses.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The issue is where do you get the water, because every water filter is made of plastic apparently. Even going to a store and buying distilled water won't work because you're bringing it home in a plastic container
Different kind of plastics are used in water filters. It's not all the same level of health risk or concentration of plastics leaking into the water. I would not expect a hard plastic filter that handles 10,000 gallons of water will leak anywhere near the same concentration of microplastics as a squishy water bottle left out in the sun will. Likely by many orders of magnitude.

Phthalates are in typical disposable water bottles (PET/PETE based), and BPAs are in some aluminum can plastic linings. Both are potentially hazardous since they can disrupt hormones. Polycarbonate containers also contain BPAs unless otherwise specified.

If you look at something like a current model Brita pitcher, it's made of BPA-free plastic. Also reusable hard plastic water bottles are usually BPA-free. Not necessarily phthalate-free (it's used to make flexible plastic typically).

Anyway, we're not all dropping dead here by any means no matter how much of this stuff is entering the bloodstream. I think it's reasonable to be cognizant of the potential health effects but it's all a matter of concentration. If you're chewing on Poland Spring bottles on a daily basis then stopping that might improve your health.

Based on the evidence we have I think this is a reasonable course of action:

-Avoid squishy disposable water/soda bottles and aluminum cans when you have the option. Probably don't live off the stuff unless you're in a developing country and clean drinking water is an issue.

-Bring a reusable stainless steel or glass bottle/thermos with you for hydration. Refill at filtered water stations et al. Coffee shops will usually let you bring your own container too.

-Get some kind of filtered water going for your home if it's reasonable to do so. Even the filtered water from your fridge water dispenser is likely a much better bet than a 24 pack of Dasani. No need to drop what you're doing and invest in some exotic solution that 100% eliminates plastics, since it's a matter of degrees. A reverse osmosis system is a good bet for high purity if you want to go that far.

Just my take. Really, any kind of home filter + stainless steel bottle will probably get you most of the way.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The old toxicology phrase “the dose makes the poison” applies here. The goal should be minimizing risk by curbing plastic use, but trying to avoid all of it is an exercise in futility.

Especially considering I regularly eat smoked meats, and I know that shit has radioactive material lingering on the surface by nature of the process. Won’t stop eating it though.

Gp1

So.. time to ditch my 5 gallons jugs and buy one of these tap water filter/faucet or not?

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
So.. time to ditch my 5 gallons jugs and buy one of these tap water filter/faucet or not?
Straight tap water is fine. If you don’t trust your local water department’s consumer confidence report, you can get water tests done for your home to confirm.

I personally use Kleen Kanteen brand bottles. These are the ones I specifically use:

They fit nicely in the cup holders in my car and kept my cold brew cold during my Thanksgiving roadtrip last year.

Top Bottom