• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW Beta Testers List

Self-explanatory. If you got in and would like to group with other gaffers, post your WoW account/character name in this thread.

PvP Server
Player Name (GAF Handle) - Race Class Level

Justin (GDJustin) - ???l
Murk (Takuan) - Night Elf Rogue Level 17
Malrubius (JackFrost2012) - Dwarf Paladin Level 10
Lemmywinks (Invertibrate) - Orc Warlock LVL13
Delanoth (golem) -- Undead Mage L10
element (element) -- ???
DarkWillow (DJ Demon J) -- Human Mage Level 2

PvE Server

Bandicoot (Bandicoot) - ???
Yukihime (JackFrost2012) - Human Warlock Level 18
Kaimen (golem) - Undead
Shaquo (Rummy Bunz) - Paladin Level 7
SilverMadell (Siegfried FM) - Night Elf Warrior Level 20
Shaana (Siegfried FM) - Human Paladin Level 39
Biscuit (Invertibrate)- Dwarf Rogue LVL30
Lemmywinks (Invertibrate) - Tauren Warrior LVL34
Aahzmandius (DJ Demon J) - Undead Warlock Level 3
Horowicz (adrockthekid) - Human Paladin
Fecklar (doth togo) - Night Elf Warrior Level 6
Myror (Mairu) - Undead Warrior Level 11

ManaByte

DJ Demon J said:
Self-explanatory. If you got in and would like to group with other gaffers, post your WoW account/character name in this thread.

Why do you want account names since you don't see them in-game? :p

Anyways I mostly play on the PvP server, Horde side and run a guild there.

A bunch of mid-level Horde players just stormed through Ashenvale and started ganking Night Elves, Dwarves, and Gnomes outside of Darkshore. We had about 12-15 people and they had 50. We did well until we got right outside of the city.

Gattsu25

Banned
OMG I HATE YOU!

not really :b

give some impressions dammit...does the game stay interesting after playing it for so long? how much are you enjoying your time online? how is the battle/crafting/travel systems? the economy?

Gattsu25

Banned
I realize why people like PvP...but I just dn't enjoy it.

Of the PC RPGs i've messed with it in, only Diablo 2 proved fun and only for a limited time before the general idiocity of Bnet got to me. EQ, SWG, Lineage II, FFXI....bah...uninteresting contests of your characters stats with little to no skill involved

have yet to try out DAoC :b

Bandicoot

Im in.

My character is Bandicoot and im on the PVE server. I plan on moving to the PVP server soon though...

Level 30 Mage, Bandi
Level 20 Priest, Bandicoot

Meier

Dammit Blizzard, I MUDded for 4 years and played MMORPGs for 3+, why oh why arent you accepting me?! Bastards..

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I wonder if I got accepted on the email I signed up with that I haven't checked in like a year...wouldn't that suck!

Especially since it deletes anything over my limit ;P

My account name is RummyBunnz, I think. My highest level char is only level 7 (a paladin named Shaquo on the PvE server) cuz soon after I got accepted into the beta my pc conked out on me, and I haven't played in weeks. I never even got to party with anyone.

Probably gonna ditch PvE and go to PvP once my new PC parts get here. Is there tons of PK'ing going on?

Rummy Bunnz said:
Probably gonna ditch PvE and go to PvP once my new PC parts get here. Is there tons of PK'ing going on?

Not yet, cause PVP is pretty worthless until you hit about 20 or so ... the guards in even the easiest areas are 18-20, so the moment you enter and start ganking players you'd die. Since the new push just came out a week ago there's only a very few players high enough to PVP effectively. There's been a few raids but they're less "raids" and more "run into enemy territory and get amusingly slaughtered." Give it time, though.

Takuan

There are organized raids on certain towns happening, but from what I've heard they've been pretty stupid because no one's high enough to take out guards and actually take a place over. I think the highest player on the alliance is level 25, maybe 26. I'm not sure about the Horde, but last I heard they had several 20+ guys, who are all probably in their mid-late 20's right now. The highest guards I've seen are Stormwind's, who are all level 90.

I'm enjoying playing as a Night Elf Rogue. They animate so well. I wanted to hit 18 tonight but stopped half-way to take care of some business. I was thinking of playing now, but I'd rather let my character rest the night and tackle quests fully refreshed tomorrow. Even with all the annoying bugs (the rest system is now pretty borked, it was fine before), I'm still having a lot of fun. WoW is ace.

BTW, Mana, does your all-NE guild still exist? I remember reading about it on the guild recruitment page, but that was a long while back. Also, what's your character's nick?

Edit: Damn, looks like I was late. Jack summed it up perfectly, though, much better than me.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
So all beta applications are closed? No way whatsoever to even try to sneak your way into it?

I wish I was part of this list, hopefully EQII beta will pan out for me.

Lvl 20? Get real, lots of people are still playing their old characters and are already pushing the lvl 45 limit... at least on the old server.
I'm playing SilverMadell and Shaana, both on the PvE server.

Everyone should check the email account they originally applied to beta test with, as late last night Blizzard started Phase 3 of the beta and let in new applicants.

SiegfriedFM said:
Lvl 20? Get real, lots of people are still playing their old characters and are already pushing the lvl 45 limit... at least on the old server.
I'm playing SilverMadell and Shaana, both on the PvE server.

Yes, and if you read our posts you'll see we're talking about the PvP server!

SyNapSe

Cerebral Palsy said:
For anyone in the beta... FUCK YOU.

Also, if Blizzard wants any of my damn money they had better release this pre-Halo 2. Is there a guesstimate release date yet? This game sounds so cool... <runs off crying>

Takuan

john: Post nick! I'll create a new character with you. At the moment my guy tires pretty fast, so I need an alternate to go to when he's resting.

DJ Demon J: Could you edit a list into the top post? I'd format it something like this:

PvP Server

PvE Server
etc.

But you can do whatever you like!

Bandicoot said:
Im in.

My character is Bandicoot and im on the PVE server. I plan on moving to the PVP server soon though...

He never plays so don't bother looking for him

PVE
Biscuit (Invertibrate)- Alliance Dwarf Rogue LVL30
Lemmywinks (Invertibrate) - Horde Tauren Warrior LVL34

PVP
Lemmywinks (Invertibrate) - Horde Orc Warlock LVL13

SilverMadell is lvl 20 warrior NE, questing in Wetlands currently. Shaana is lvl 39 paladin HU, sort of disinterested in her after losing all her stuff.

Screenshots of WoW taken at 1600x1200 w/ all settings maxed and 6xAA/16xAF:

129369.jpg

129370.jpg

129371.jpg

129372.jpg

129373.jpg

El Papa

I'm not in beta, but I've been following WoW for a while and I'm really excited about it. After EQ, DoAC, and AC2, I was burnt out on MMORPGs, seemed like the same thing over and onver. This is a game I've been waiting for for like over 2 years. Everything I've read and heard about WoW makes it seem like the kind of MMORPG I want to play.

Questions:

Do you guys like this game and what are some of the things you like about it?

What are some of the things you dislike?

What kind of graphic performance are you getting? I have a PIII 866mhz, 512 RAM, Radeaon 8500. Will I be ok or should I start saving for a new PC and video card for WoW's release hopfully before Christmas?

El Papa said:
Do you guys like this game and what are some of the things you like about it?

Disclaimer: I've put about 60 hrs into the WoW Beta; though that's a lot by most game's standards, it's not so much by MMOs.

I like pretty much everything about it. Combat is fun and fast. The skills are unique and varied. In terms of combat, skills, drops, and the like, this is basically the next iteration of Diablo II, but with a bit more strategy - spells have casting times and cooldown timers. It has that same crazy-addictive feel, too.

It's easy to group and work with others. Looting is handled well - you can have multiple looting types to make sure things are fairly distributed, "collection" drops are handled separately from "regular" drops, making those sorts of quests fast in groups, and EVERYONE can loot quest items from named boss characters.

Aesthetically, it's great. Some people don't like the art, but I think it's super. The city designs are really unique and varied. Each area feels really different from the others. There's a lot of lovely little flourishes, like the giant lava pool fueling the Great Forge in the center of the Dwarf city, or the way daylight slowly dwindles to nothing as you approach the center of the Duskwood. The new environmental sound is really nice, too.

There are a LOT of quests. No, more than that. A LOT of quests. It's easy to play through the game at a reasonable pace, constantly doing 8-10 quests at a time, only keeping yoru character in the zones local to its hometown ... and when you factor in multiple zones for each level range it's kind of terrifying how much there is to see and do.

Most of all, it's fun. I never, ever, feel like I'm "grinding" - there's always something to DO, something to work towards beyond simply "get XP and loot." Usually, too, doing quests gets you a healthy hunk of XP and loot, so it's fun AND rewarding. It's not "advance or have fun," you can do both. After an initial burst of super speed (1-12, I'd say) new levels (and with them, new skills and abilities) tend to come every 3-4 hours. Which is REALLY good by the standards of the genre.

El Papa said:
What are some of the things you dislike?

It's hard to judge the game currently as it's still in beta, but. There's still some balancing issues that need to be (and I presume will be) worked out. Right now I have two major issues:

1) Tradeskills, while fun and something to do while questing, seem to have very little actual value, at least to low level characters. You kind of make things for their own sake. I get the strong feeling that tradeskills become far more valuable to your character in the endgame, however.

2) The game, while super fun, seems fairly dependent on the pre-scripted questing content. I don't mind that, but it makes me wonder, "what's at the end of the treadmill"? i.e. when a character is maxed out, what's left for them to do? Fortunately, I know that Blizzard is VERY concerned about the endgame and hopefully they'll have some great ideas to keep it fun once you're at the "top."

El Papa said:
What kind of graphic performance are you getting? I have a PIII 866mhz, 512 RAM, Radeaon 8500. Will I be ok or should I start saving for a new PC and video card for WoW's release hopfully before Christmas?

I have a 1.8 Athlon, a gig of RAM, and a GeForce Ti4200. I get a fairly constant 30fps at 1024x768 (it only really harfs when travelling on mounts.) You can probably run it with those specs, but I might try to upgrade your processor if at all possible. The videocard and RAM should be sufficient.

El Papa

Thanks JackFrost, WoW sounds really cool. You make it sound FUN, something missing from most of the MMORPGs I've played as time went on. A couple of things about the issues you have:

1) Tradeskills, while fun and something to do while questing, seem to have very little actual value, at least to low level characters. You kind of make things for their own sake. I get the strong feeling that tradeskills become far more valuable to your character in the endgame, however.
Tradeskills is something I was really looking forward to, as I tend to do a lot of soloing and like to be able to do things for myself. When you say they don't have much value, are you saying it's hard to make a living off them or that the items you can make aren't worth the effort? Also, how many trade skills can you realistically have? What trade skills are you working on? Anyone, feel free to answer.

El Papa said:
Tradeskills is something I was really looking forward to, as I tend to do a lot of soloing and like to be able to do things for myself. When you say they don't have much value, are you saying it's hard to make a living off them or that the items you can make aren't worth the effort? Also, how many trade skills can you realistically have? What trade skills are you working on? Anyone, feel free to answer.

Tradeskills are fairly useful for outfitting yourself; usually in the course of advancing your Blacksmithing or Tailoring skill, you'll produce some armor a bit better than what you're currently outfitting. I tend to solo a lot as well and they're fun to advance and useful.

The problem is that while they may or may not be better than what you may or may not have, they're only just. You don't really produce things that are "omg so obviously good" better than what's generally available through questing or drops.

At lower levels, at least, gathering skills (mining, herbalism, skinning) are MUCH better money makers than production skills (tailoring, blacksmithing, engineering, alchemy). The high level production items look MUCH better, though. They go Apprentice, Journeyman, Artisan, Master (I believe). Some Artisan and almost all Master items have VERY good stat bonuses and are bind-on-equip, so they should be highly desireable to other people. At the low levels, though, expect to vendor a lot of Copper Pants.

Realistically, you can have several trade skills going at once. They're cheap to start (5-10 skill points), but each level of advancement costs additional. For example, Apprentice Tailoring costs 10 skill points and gives a potential proficiency of up to 75. Everytime you do something tailory you may or may not go up (the game colorcodes which actions are likely to have beneficial effects and which are "beneath" you.) To advance past 75, you have to train up to Journeyman, which costs 100 skill points. Artisan is 225 and Master is 400. So while you can learn several, it's expensive and difficult to actually be proficient in so many (at least at first).

My Warlock had Tailoring, Herbalism, and Alchemy. My Paladin has Mining, Skinning, and Blacksmithing. The Paladin is having a MUCH easier time of things ... you can skin almost any animal for leather, and can loot most lodestones multiple times (3-5) before they vanish. Meanwhile, tailoring cloth drops are random on humanoid creatures, and herb nodes are single-loot only.

Prolly more than you wanted to know. ;)

Top Bottom