• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WRATH: Aeon of Ruin - Release Date Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It's been a while, but the release date for WRATH: Aeon of Ruin is finally upon us.

Once adrift upon the Ageless Sea, you now find yourself on the shores of a dying world. From the consuming darkness emerges a figure cloaked in white, the Shepherd of Wayward Souls, who burdens you with the task of hunting down the remaining Guardians of the Old World. You must journey into the vast gloom to explore ancient ruins, discover forgotten secrets and battle the horrors that lurk within.

Coming February 27, 2024.

Xyphie

Pretty sad no one is playing this. Mostly through the second hub world and it's legit one of the best SP shooters I've played in years.

Guilty_AI

So this is made on id tech 2? I might buy it quasi-full price just for that, i always have some degree of respect for developers who are purposefully creative on their engine choice - or make their own for that matter.

winjer

Gold Member
Pretty sad no one is playing this. Mostly through the second hub world and it's legit one of the best SP shooters I've played in years.

I've only played a couple of hours so far, and it's a good game.
But they really screwed up the hype this game had, and the good will gamers had towards it, with all the constant delays. And giving it away in a Humble Bundle, while still in early access, really soured backers that paid full price.
I did notice that the first few achievements I got, had a low rate. The first achievement in the game only has a 15% rate. Meaning that even the people that already bought the game, are not playing it.
Although the game was eventually released, it has become a good example of why early access can go very wrong.

Guilty_AI

But they really screwed up the hype this game had, and the good will gamers had towards it, with all the constant delays. And giving it away in a Humble Bundle, while still in early access, really soured backers that paid full price.
I did notice that the first few achievements I got, had a low rate. The first achievement in the game only has a 15% rate. Meaning that even the people that already bought the game, are not playing it.
Although the game was eventually released, it has become a good example of why early access can go very wrong.
Its also worth mentioning we saw a lot of great boomer shooters since its original EA release. Whatever itch people had back in 2019 was already scratched by now.

Buggy Loop

There’s so many retro shooters stuck in early access hell that I avoid many of them now because Wrath was just so ridiculous with delays.

winjer

Gold Member
Its also worth mentioning we saw a lot of great boomer shooters since its original EA release. Whatever itch people had back in 2019 was already scratched by now.

Yes, the market is now so saturated, that most retro fps go unnoticed.
If Wrath had been released in 2020, it might have become a big hit. But now, it just gets ignored.

winjer

Gold Member
So this is made on id tech 2? I might buy it quasi-full price just for that, i always have some degree of respect for developers who are purposefully creative on their engine choice - or make their own for that matter.

Yes, it's id tech 2, aka, the Quake engine. Although it's a bit modified.
And in it's retro style, it looks really good.
You can get it for under 2$ in key sites, so it's worth it.
After release, the game already got 2 patches for small bugs. So it's nice to see the devs are still supporting it.

Guilty_AI

I always wonder if current boomer shooters will have their Baldurs Gate 3 moment. Ultrakill so far is the most promising candidate for that.

Guilty_AI

In sales success? Sadly I don’t think this genre will ever get massive sales.
I don't know, people would've said the same about crpg's 1 year ago. For example, Ultrakill i mentioned has a generous all-time-peak on Early access and managed to maintain a consistent 1-3k player base since EA release.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I completely forgot about this game. I think it’s on my wishlist, but too many things to play in the near future so will check it out later.

I bought like 5 different retro FPS in last couple years as it is.

Top Bottom