• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Kimishima: NX mobile-interface update "not too late in the course of this year"

Why does it matter. These systems don't need 2 years of hype. If anything, the Wii U probably should have only been announced in 2012 instead of that confusing 2011 reveal.
No but it needs third parties to get on board and only those with "unprecedented partnerships" will ever get info and/or dev kits prior to being unveiled.

In the last 20 years not a single major console manufacturer has ever unveiled a console less than 6 months before launching. One of the shorter ones was the XB1 and that was basically the same as a PS4. We know nothing about the NX or what weird gimmick it'll have.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Waiting till E3 would be a disaster.

Everybody keeps saying this with absolutely zero facts as to why.

Third parties have already seen this and some have devkits. Let's not pretend that this isn't happening behind the scenes.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Do people keep forgetting that PS4 and XB1 released in the same year they were announced? Why is this a problem?

This isn't 2001. Internet and social media are prevalent everywhere. Videos and information van getbto consumers in seconds. They don't need a year of buildup.

I still say they will have a small section at the end of a Nintendo Direct to tease the system, maybe show a small sizzle reel of games, and an image of either the controller or the system, but not both. Then a full blow out at E3 with release info, hands on, pricing etc.

I still say they will have a small section at the end of a Ninte do Direct to tease the system, maybe show a small sizzle reel of games, and an image of either the co troller or the system, but not both. Then a full blow out at E3 with release info, hands on, pricing etc.

They would't do this all at once. It would be "here's what the system looks like" and that would be it.

thefro

I still say they will have a small section at the end of a Ninte do Direct to tease the system, maybe show a small sizzle reel of games, and an image of either the co troller or the system, but not both. Then a full blow out at E3 with release info, hands on, pricing etc.

Pretty sure that's not going to happen in a Nintendo Direct as a surprise.

8bit

Knows the Score
existenz_controller.jpg

If they reveal it until E3 there's no way this thing is coming out in 2016.

If they do intend to launch this year Nintendo needs to start the conversation about the NX right now. Like "this month" now.

They aren't going to start the conversation until they can squeeze more sales out of their existing platforms and lineup this FY.

I fully expect this is why winter/early spring is relatively stacked compared to last year when traditionally Nintendo avoids this season like the plague.

I'm guessing we'll get news late April/early May, then a full lineup blowout at E3.

Do people keep forgetting that PS4 and XB1 released in the same year they were announced? Why is this a problem?

This isn't 2001. Internet and social media are prevalent everywhere. Videos and information van getbto consumers in seconds. They don't need a year of buildup.
Yes but neither the PS4 or the XB1 were unveiled during E3 mere 5 months prior to launch. The PS4 was revealed in Febraury and the XB1 a month or two later.

Unveiling the NX this E3 for a 2016 launch is not a good strategy.

Plinko

Yes but neither the PS4 or the XB1 were unveiled during E3 mere 5 months prior to launch. The PS4 was revealed in Febraury and the XB1 a month or two later.

So? Is a couple months of public exposure going to make a difference when most likely devs have had this thing already?

Again--you state it is bad but don't say why.

Everybody keeps saying this with absolutely zero facts as to why.

Third parties have already seen this and some have devkits. Let's not pretend that this isn't happening behind the scenes.
True, but hype is another factor when it comes to new console releases. I feel like E3 couldn't handle an NX debut AND software blowout without some important things getting lost.

They aren't going to start the conversation until they can squeeze more sales out of their existing platforms and lineup this FY.

I fully expect this is why winter/early spring is relatively stacked compared to last year when traditionally Nintendo avoids this season like the plague.
What sales? The WiiU sold 3 million consoles in 2015. Thats pathetic! That's what the PS4 sold in Q4 alone!

Nintendo is having their worst performing console ever this side of the Virtual Boy! It's not even a close contest with the GameCube!

EDIT: just checked and actually 3 million is HALF of what the PS4 sold on Q4 alone!!!

Why is that bad? And again, there is no way in hell Nintendo is going to go into another holiday season without new hardware. The sales would be so low that stockholders would have fits.

What sales? The WiiU sold 3 million consoles in 2015. Thats pathetic! That's what the PS4 sold in Q4 alone!

Nintendo is having their worst performing console ever this side of the Virtual Boy!

Yes, but when you're performing under expectations the last thing you want to do is signal to consumers that they definitely should hold off buying your stuff until the end of the year. They're going to finish out this FY with as many sales as they can get (to maximize FY results and thus investor and consumer confidence) before they announce new hardware.

Spinluck

Sony announcing PS4 in February 2013 and releasing it in November that year was like the best way to go about releasing next generation system.

Wish Nintendo went the same route, but whatever. Take your time Nintendo...

Vena

Nintendo is having their worst performing console ever this side of the Virtual Boy! It's not even a close contest with the GameCube!

He's talking about software.

jblank83

Waiting till E3 would be a disaster.

E3 is a concentrated, electrified media atmosphere. It's the kind of place big swings happen in terms of perception of product. See the PS4 vs X1 shift that happened at their E3 conferences.

If Nintendo is confident in their new hardware, I think it might be the right move to wait til E3. That is unless they can gather all the significant media outlets all in the same place at the same time in order to make a big independent reveal sometime before then (e.g. the Destiny reveal).

They could do some minor reveal beforehand just to confirm that "hey, yes, we're making hardware; look forward to E3" but is a Nintendo Direct in March really the best way to show everything about the new system?

bachikarn

No but it needs third parties to get on board and only those with "unprecedented partnerships" will ever get info and/or dev kits prior to being unveiled.

In the last 20 years not a single major console manufacturer has ever unveiled a console less than 6 months before launching. One of the shorter ones was the XB1 and that was basically the same as a PS4. We know nothing about the NX or what weird gimmick it'll have.

Nintendo isn't exactly good with smaller third parties even after the system has been officially announced. My guess is when they actually reveal it will have little to do when they get dev kits

Before the XBO/PS4, there had never been a system that was revealed only 8 months before launch. Not sure why changing it to 6 makes much of a difference.

We live in a different world. With the ADD culture, revealing it too early can be a bigger issue. It's always a fight to stay relevant.

Peterc

I understand that they want to wait untill the last day so competitors can't steal their idea.

But if the devkits are already send to 3rd party developers, wouldn't they talk with MS or SONY?!

Thats why I was hoping on some hardware information like they did with wii and wiiu

icon_xl.jpg

jmizzal

I know Iwata always says E3 when they are gonna wait til E3 to show something, so wouldnt Kimishima have said E3 if it was gonna be E3?

The fact that he didnt specifically say E3 tells me it will be before then

TheJoRu

I know Iwata always says E3 when they are gonna wait til E3 to show something, so wouldnt Kimishima have said E3 if it was gonna be E3?

The fact that he didnt specifically say E3 tells me it will be before then

Maybe press release in March or April giving us some info and a "we will reveal the platform at E3 this June".

They sure did. 2012 was the last time they had a press conference I believe.

And what did we lose? Nothing, if anything the lack of a conference made Nintendo's E3s better than ever. Edited content is pretty much always better than stuff happening live and the production values seem much higher, even though its cheaper.

AdanVC

Wow so they are really gonna wait till freaking E3 to fully reveal NX? So dissapointed and such a bad move if they really want to launch this thing on the holidays wich at this point I don't think it would happen and I don't know how are they gonna survive with their current consoles that are old and outdated af. Zelda U on Wii U and Pokémon Z on 3DS could help but the hype will only last a few weeks max and those games doesn't desserve to fail that way, especially Zelda U wich looks very promising. When Nintendo begins dropping megatons, people will literally not care anymore because they always stay dead silent for months without any sign of improvement or something to look forward. I just wish them the best of luck. They are REALLY gonna need it...

Wow so they are really gonna wait till freaking E3 to fully reveal NX? So dissapointed and such a bad move if they really want to launch this thing on the holidays wich at this point I don't think it would happen and I don't know how are they gonna survive with their current consoles that are old and outdated af. Zelda U on Wii U and Pokémon Z on 3DS could help but the hype will only last a few weeks max and those games doesn't desserve to fail that way, especially Zelda U wich looks very promising. When Nintendo begins dropping megatons, people will literally not care anymore because they always stay dead silent for months without any sign of improvement or something to look forward. I just wish them the best of luck. They are REALLY gonna need it...

WE DONT KNOW ANYTHING

And its probably going to stay that way for the agonizing few weeks to months or however long it will take

AGITΩ

if they are waiting until E3 then I hope it's not the usual 35-45 Minute Presentation they've been doing the last few years. Sony and Microsoft keep pushing close to 2 hour presentations. Nintendo's really going to need more time to not only present, demonstrate and communicate properly about the NX, but also focus on their games for all of the platforms. It'll be a rushed and shit show if they stick to the usual time frame.

Hyperbole

Banned
I know people are starving for it but there's no reason this is true.
I think there is a real war for gamer money this fall. You have NX and you have PSVR. Just like the big console reveals, whoever goes first gets mind share, which get conveyed to sales later. It worked brilliantly for Sony with the ps4 reveal.

If they are both $300 gaming machines that's direct competition. So yeah it could hurt Nintendo if they hide their cards too long.

Maedhros

Any Vita owner here hoping that Nintendo releases a better than the 3DS handheld here?

Since I'm coming back to them with mobile gaming, I really hope we get something better than 3DS was to DS.

AGITΩ;194044968 said:
if they are waiting until E3 then I hope it's not the usual 35-45 Minute Presentation they've been doing the last few years. Sony and Microsoft keep pushing close to 2 hour presentations. Nintendo's really going to need more time to not only present, demonstrate and communicate properly about the NX, but also focus on their games for all of the platforms. It'll be a rushed and shit show if they stick to the usual time frame.

Dropping the obvious meme attempts would be nice as well.

shingi70

Banned
AGITΩ;194044968 said:

Werid thing is the way they've done E3 these past years they're the only ones who don't have to time themselves.

AmyS

Obviously, a full reveal isn't going to happen until E3, but that does not mean they won't share some details on NX during Feb/March/April, during late winter or early spring.

MK_768

Take a xanax. We know nothing.

AGITΩ

Dropping the obvious meme attempts would be nice as well.

The comedic bits they've thrown in are fun...but for a presentation as short as they make it, its kinda unneeded. Especially when they can edit and make sure there awkward moments of actual press conferences. Why they always time their E3 events so short still baffles me.

Any Vita owner here hoping that Nintendo releases a better than the 3DS handheld here?

Since I'm coming back to them with mobile gaming, I really hope we get something better than 3DS was to DS.

Yup exactly

My Vita will still have a great 2016 and possibly 2017... but its starting to hit its own limits and doesnt have a successor....

Heck Nintendo may be the ONLY company making a dedicated portable going forward

Top Bottom