• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

Fhtagn

What's going on here exactly? Is that to make a folder?

I think this is demonstrating multi-selecting apps for drag and drop to elsewhere, not simply making a folder.

It was demoed in the State of the Platform keynote, the work done for Drag and Drop made selecting non-blocking so you can get into app arrangement mode now, drag one app, and while holding it with one hand use your other hand to add more to the pile, swipe to different pages, go in and out of folders, then move all of those selected apps at once somewhere else.

Nice example of Apple taking a long time to get a feature (Drag and Drop) but when they get it done, it's done right and done thoroughly so that the feature affects what's possible throughout the system. For example, part of the wait for Drag and Drop was waiting for APFS; even huge files are instantly accessible as a copy for the second app because of the was APFS copies files on the same drive, there's no wait.

Ristlager

Question for iPad iOS 11. How do I close the second app? And how do I change the second app to a new one? The best I can do is to side pin it and then enlarge the screen of the first app. But I have no idea how to easily change to another second app. Swiping down on the top does nothing (it used to unveil all the supported apps in iOS 10).

Guess Who

Banned
Question for iPad iOS 11. How do I close the second app? And how do I change the second app to a new one? The best I can do is to side pin it and then enlarge the screen of the first app. But I have no idea how to easily change to another second app. Swiping down on the top does nothing (it used to unveil all the supported apps in iOS 10).

Closing the second app is as simple as enlarging the first app to fill the screen.

To switch the split app to a different app, just drag a different app icon to the split portion of the screen you want it to occupy.

Ristlager

Closing the second app is as simple as enlarging the first app to fill the screen.

To switch the split app to a different app, just drag a different app icon to the split portion of the screen you want it to occupy.

But if I don't pin it, just drag it from the low row, I have to pin it first?

I manage to change the second app to an app that's on my lowest row, but not the other apps. Swiping up to reveal the new menu do not help me with this problem.

ty_hot

How good is the HDR for mobile devices compared to TVs? I know they have different minimum requirements, but how 'bad' are the mobile devices?

I never had an iPad and never really wanted one, but somehow this new iPad Pro looks great and I might give it a try (worst case scenario I sell it later this year...). If I could watch Netflix HDR on it on the go it would be beyond amazing.

But if I don't pin it, just drag it from the low row, I have to pin it first?

I manage to change the second app to an app that's on my lowest row, but not the other apps. Swiping up to reveal the new menu do not help me with this problem.

I don’t have my iPad with me at the moment but I believe you can just swipe the unpinned app off the screen. Just swipe along the top of the window.

Edit: Grabbed my iPad. Yes you can swipe the window off the screen, but only to the right for whatever reason.

Ristlager

I don’t have my iPad with me at the moment but I believe you can just swipe the unpinned app off the screen. Just swipe along the top of the window.

Edit: Grabbed my iPad. Yes you can swipe the window off the screen, but only to the right for whatever reason.

Thanks. But any way to select an app not on the low screen as a second app? The best way I found was to open it so it is in the last used apps on the low row, and then pick it when your main app is open.

I don't use it for much at all. My only concern is I'm currently job hunting, and uploading my resume on various sites would be finicky on the iPad, I'd imagine.

Will be fine uploading DOC and PDF files, surely?

I would love to use my iPad Pro more but until Adobe actually has the balls to let me work with native InDesign and Photoshop docs (with full editing capabilities for changing stuff on-the-go), I have to carry my MBP with me when travelling.

LordOfChaos

Am I an idiot for considering selling my 2016 Macbook for a 10.5 iPad?

Personally I find the clamshell laptop to be too usable of a form to leave in the foreseeable future. You can shoe-horn a tablet into fulfilling the role with floppy keyboard docks but it only makes a poor imitation of a proper clamshell with a keyboard and trackpad on the same horizontal pane.

A tablet could be a good main computer if someone is mainly consuming content. But even then like you said it's still hard to know when an odd website or something won't work with it due to requiring some addon or something, where as a Macbook is pretty well fully compatible with the world.

That's me though, if you don't get much use of the Macbook the iPad could suit you better. Could always try it within a return window to see if it could be your only computer.

Draper

Personally I find the clamshell laptop to be too usable of a form to leave in the foreseeable future. You can shoe-horn a tablet into fulfilling the role with floppy keyboard docks but it only makes a poor imitation of a proper clamshell with a keyboard and trackpad on the same horizontal pane.

A tablet could be a good main computer if someone is mainly consuming content. But even then like you said it's still hard to know when an odd website or something won't work with it due to requiring some addon or something, where as a Macbook is pretty well fully compatible with the world.

That's me though, if you don't get much use of the Macbook the iPad could suit you better. Could always try it within a return window to see if it could be your only computer.

This is a very grounded take on the scenario- appreciate the input.

Am I an idiot for considering selling my 2016 Macbook for a 10.5 iPad?

I'm picking one up to see if I can get by without my laptop (Dell XPS 13). If so, I'm selling the Dell to make back a few bucks.

Ive got a pretty beefy gaming PC, so I can fall back on that when I need to do "serious" work.

I'm excited to put iOS 11 to the test.

Draper

I'm picking one up to see if I can get by without my laptop (Dell XPS 13). If so, I'm selling the Dell to make back a few bucks.

Ive got a pretty beefy gaming PC, so I can fall back on that when I need to do "serious" work.

I'm excited to put iOS 11 to the test.

It's really only useful and comparable to me with a file system on it. When is the public beta, or can someone get me on their list? Is that something?

Will be fine uploading DOC and PDF files, surely?

I would love to use my iPad Pro more but until Adobe actually has the balls to let me work with native InDesign and Photoshop docs (with full editing capabilities for changing stuff on-the-go), I have to carry my MBP with me when travelling.

Seriously, I hope more services get on board after Apple's more PC-like OS.

kingocfs

Jumped from the 2016 Macbook to the new 13" Macbook Pro. (sans touchbar) The first thing I noticed was that the clicking of the trackpad sounds much worse, hollow even. I'm also not feeling any difference between light, medium and firm.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Hm, nice. Thanks.

Now it's a matter of wifi vs. cellular. 🤔 Are there any annoying notifications if you don't have a SIM card active in it?

No, no notifications. I opted for the cellular one since I anticipate using it a lot in low-wifi or no wifi scenarios and I may not want to hotspot my phone got various reasons. Plus if it ever gets stolen or lost I can still track it through FMI where that becomes far less feasible with wifi only

Edit: The Logitech Slim Combo 10.5" keyboard case arrived! I have a 9.7" iPad Pro I am using it to type on right now. Obviously the actual case part itself won't fit but since the keyboard uses the Smart Connector and is detachable from the rest of the case I just slapped it right on and here we go!

Preview: keys feel surprisingly good for a tablet case, I'm having no issues right now with accuracy or WPM. There are three levels of backlighting for the keys: off, medium, and full. Battery drain according to Logitech is very minimal and based on my 10 minutes of playing around and typing with the backlighting on full I'd say I agree. Haven't budged from 100%. The keys dip down to zero brightness after about 6 or so seconds after your last keystroke so there's some very aggressive battery saving techniques at play here. In lieu of an escape button there is a home button which you can double tap for the multitasker. Unfortunately once there you can't slide with tab or the arrow keys or anything. There's screen brightness control right next to that, followed by spotlight search which you CAN arrow down and use Enter to select your result. A button to bring up the on-screen keyboard follows, then key brightness, then media controls, then volume controls, and the last key is screen lock. I've found you can lock the screen with it, wake up the screen with the home button key, and type in your passcode all with the keyboard. Very cool.

As with all keyboard on iOS you can hold down command to get a list of shortcuts on a per-app basis which is nice. Overall I'm liking this a lot in this trial run (iPad Pro 10.5" arrives on Tuesday). Seemingly combined with the case itself which has a kickstand this might duplicate a Surface, which is what I wanted: a Surface iPad. Will give more detailed impressions and pictures on Tuesday/Wednesday.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...lue?fnode=3e&fs=f=ipadpro_10_5&fh=35d5%2B48d0

Majine

Banned
I was watching the John Gruber interview, and a hilarious iOS 11 feature they didn't talk about elsewhere is that when you have multiple devices with Hey Siri, when you trigger the listening command, instead of them all answering in a cacophony, they coordinate with eachother, judging which device is closest to you as well as which device was used most recently, and they perform a vote...

I was watching the John Gruber interview, and a hilarious iOS 11 feature they didn't talk about elsewhere is that when you have multiple devices with Hey Siri, when you trigger the listening command, instead of them all answering in a cacophony, they coordinate with eachother, judging which device is closest to you as well as which device was used most recently, and they perform a vote...

didn't iOS 10 do that?

They’ve been doing that for a while now. And it works decently often

Does it also work when watching something on YouTube or an HTML5 video or apps like VLC on macOS?

Don’t have VLC to test but totally works with YouTube

mf.luder

On my 7+ running iOS 11, in iMessage if i select text and then press and hold it, it allows me to drag and drop. But it seems like its copy and paste.

ESBL

Would the iPad Pro 10.5 be sufficient enough to replace my 2011 13" MBP? I essentially browse the web and use Microsoft office for school. Thinking about getting one with the Logitech keyboard and pencil.

Guess Who

Banned
Would the iPad Pro 10.5 be sufficient enough to replace my 2011 13" MBP? I essentially browse the web and use Microsoft office for school. Thinking about getting one with the Logitech keyboard and pencil.

How heavily do you use advanced Excel features? If the answer is "very rarely to never", then sure.

Also bear in mind you have to have Office 365 to use Office on an 10.5" iPad.

ESBL

How heavily do you use advanced Excel features? If the answer is "very rarely to never", then sure.

Also bear in mind you have to have Office 365 to use Office on an 10.5" iPad.

What the fuck is Excel? That's basically often I use Excel. I just use Power Point and Word, I'm not sure what version of Office I have, it was free through school.

Guess Who

Banned
What the fuck is Excel? That's basically often I use Excel. I just use Power Point and Word, I'm not sure what version of Office I have, it was free through school.

In that case you might be fine. Office 365 is Microsoft's Office subscription services. Some schools might give you an Office 365 sub for free, but some schools just give you a standalone Office version (which won't work for this).

You might also just consider using Pages and Keynote, if possible, which don't cost a dime.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Apple replaced my iPhone 7 straight up last night. Took it in because the NFC/Apple Pay stopped working. After a lengthy process of tests, we tried a whole new device and it worked as normal.

NFC chip was likely fried or malfunctioning.

So. New device. Didn't count toward my AppleCare totals, and was completely free.

Always love the device swap process. It magically removed the scratches on my screen too. Lol.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I sorta want to get an iMac for the family, but idk.

I feel like maybe I could just get the refurb older model and be fine, but I worry about performance with the super high res display.

Don't need the bigger model. The 21.5" is fine. New model still having 5400rpm HDD for a base sucks though as the upgrade to an SSD is fucking $200.

I sorta want to get an iMac for the family, but idk.

I feel like maybe I could just get the refurb older model and be fine, but I worry about performance with the super high res display.

Don't need the bigger model. The 21.5" is fine. New model still having 5400rpm HDD for a base sucks though as the upgrade to an SSD is fucking $200.

iMac is a great family purchase, my 2012 iMac still runs like a champ, you definitely want spend the extra money on an SSD

ESBL

In that case you might be fine. Office 365 is Microsoft's Office subscription services. Some schools might give you an Office 365 sub for free, but some schools just give you a standalone Office version (which won't work for this).

You might also just consider using Pages and Keynote, if possible, which don't cost a dime.

I just checked "About Word" and the license says Office 365 Subscription, I should be okay. I'm trying to decide whether the 2017 Macbook or iPad Pro 10.5 is more appropriate for me.

John_B

Jumped from the 2016 Macbook to the new 13" Macbook Pro. (sans touchbar) The first thing I noticed was that the clicking of the trackpad sounds much worse, hollow even. I'm also not feeling any difference between light, medium and firm.

Anyone else have the same experience?
It's a sound played by the speakers, there is no real click. Try the trackpad settings and look for he silent click option.

Top Bottom