• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Films dated: New Mutants (Apr 14/18), Deadpool 2 (Jun 1/18), Dark Phoenix (Nov 2/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Not much else to report right now

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/855811365470121984

This is presumably coming from Fox along with the Avatar delay news. I will post a better source when available, but boxoffice magazine is legitimate.

EDIT: From LordOfLore - https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-me...pool-2-dark-phoenix-get-release-dates-a150545

In a surprise announcement just moments ago, the studio confirmed release dates for New Mutants, which will bow on April 13, 2018, followed by Deadpool 2 on June 1, 2018, and finally, ending the year with, the now-official X-Men: Dark Phoenix on November 2, 2018.

The trio of films now joins a calendar that already featured Black Panther on February 16, 2018, Avengers: Infinity War on May 4, 2018, Ant-Man and the Wasp on July 6, 2018, Sony Pictures' Venom on October 5, 2018, and the Animated Spider-Man movie, which follows Miles Morales, on December 21, 2018, meaning we could quite possibly get to see a new Marvel movie in eight out of twelve months next year.

EDIT 2: A longer report from The Hollywood Reporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/deadpool-2-lands-june-2018-release-date-theaters-996562

Ryan Reynolds returns as the titular superhero in the 20th Century Fox sequel; the studios stakes out a slew of other release dates, including for Steven Spielberg's Pentagon Papers film, two more superhero movies and Steve McQueen's 'Widows.'
Deadpool 2 — one of Hollywood's most anticipated sequels — has booked a release date in theaters.

The follow-up to the groundbreaking and irreverent superhero 2016 film will hit the big screen on June 1, 2018, Fox said early Saturday.

It was a busy morning for the studio, between Deadpool and dating four Avatar sequels alongside a slew of other films, including an upcoming Steven Spielberg film, Bryan Singer's Bohemian Rhapsody, two more Fox/Marvel movies, X-Men spinoff New Mutants and sequel Dark Phoenix, and Steve McQueen's female-heist pic, Widows.

Ryan Reynolds once again stars as the titular superhero in Deadpool 2. The film series is a passion project for the actor, who spent years trying to get the first Deadpool made.

Newcomers to Deadpool 2 include Zazie Beetz as Domino and Josh Brolin as Cable. Shooting is set to begin in June.

Next year is going to be jam-packed in terms of Fox superhero titles: New Mutants will open April 13, 2018, while Dark Phoenix hits cinemas on Nov. 2. New Mutants, directed by Josh Boone, follows a young team of superheroes, while Dark Phoenix will revisit a classic comic book storyline that saw Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) become the host for the Phoenix Force, a cosmic entity that eventually drives her to becoming a destructive force that ultimately leads to her death. Longtime X-Men writer and producer Simon Kinberg is a top contender to direct the project, which is a followup to 2016's X-Men Apocalypse.

In terms of awards contenders, Fox has dated Steven Spielberg's Washington Post/Pentagon Papers film, starring Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, for limited release on Dec. 22, 2018. The untitled film will expand nationwide on Jan. 2018.

Looking to next year, McQueen's Widows is also a potential awards contender, and will open in theaters on Nov. 16, 2018.

Also in the fourth quarter of 2018, Singer's Bohemian Rhapsody has been given the high-profile release date of Dec. 25.

Fox also made a number of tweaks to its release calendar, including moving up Murder on the Orient Express from Nov. 22 of this year to Nov .10, and pushing back the release of Jennifer Lawrence's The Red Sparrow from Nov. 10 to March 2, 2018 and The Predator from Feb. 9, 2018 to Aug. 3.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah it's either ambitious our they are likely being very optimistic. My money is on new mutants being delayed

Why would the one furthest along in production that begins filming soon be delayed?

Oh and, the massive takes for Logan and Deadpool has sure made Fox go all in with this franchise.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Interesting that their confidence in the main-line X-Men franchise series doesn't seem to have been dampened by Apocalypse's relatively poor returns.

My favorite comic movieverse. I look forward to all of these even though I'm not sure that going back to Dark Phoenix is such a great idea.
New Mutants sounds especially intriguing.

Also, could a mod change Apr 14 to Apr 13 for New Mutants? It looks like I typo'd the date.

Shame on you.

Sesha

Dark Phoenix, huh? Oy vey. At least one of these are getting delayed.

Who is doing New Mutants and who is in it?

Josh Boone (The Fault in Our Stars), with the same writers from that on the script. Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik and James McAvoy are confirmed, I think.

only looking forward to new mutants and deadpool
Dark Phoenix, huh? Oy vey. At least one of these are getting delayed.

Josh Boone (The Fault in Our Stars), with the same writers from that on the script. Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik and James McAvoy are confirmed, I think.

YES

Sesha

Jeez what the hell...

Thats like 10 Marvel movies in 2018...

Yeah I can see a lot of people getting jaded.

Venom and at least one of these will slip to 2019, I think. Venom might be delayed indefinitely or just outright cancelled because lol Sony Pictures. Miles Morales will be animated. That would leave five Marvel Comics live action movies, all with different tones and characters. I don't think audiences will be bothered by it.

Going from like 1 film every 2 years to 3 in one is bold. Marvel just started doing 3 MCU films a year so we'll see how this works out for FOX.

Josh Boone directing.

Maisie Williams might be WolfsBane

Anya Taylor-Joy is Magik

Nat Wolff might be Cannonball

McAvoy is back.

Hmm, I could actually get behind that cast.

Venom and at least one of these will slip to 2019, I think. Venom might be delayed indefinitely or just outright cancelled because lol Sony Pictures. Miles Morales will be animated. That would leave five Marvel Comics live action movies, all with different tones and characters. I don't think audiences will be bothered by it.

Ant-Man 2, Black Panther and Avengers 3 are all 2018, so it would be six, seven if Venom, eight if you count USM.

Dark Phoenix was such an awesome event in the comics because it involves characters people loved and had been reading for years. Fox really needs to make Dark Phoenix after another X-Men movie so we already like the character and the relationship between Scott and Jean has already been established.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
3 X-Men films in 2018? Dayum

If the above is the case and there are no delays, shooting should start by summer.

Sesha

Ant-Man 2, Black Panther and Avengers 3 are all 2018, so it would be six, seven if Venom, eight if you count USM.

Didn't I write that I think Venom and one X-film will be delayed and that Miles Morales is animated? At least, I thought I wrote it.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
They should just scrap this series or release the reigns to Disney/Marvel and allow them to make these movies because First Class is the only one that did anything good for the franchise since X2. Apocalypse was a waste and Days of Futures Past definitely didn't live up to the hype or capitalize on the world First Class created.

Hopefully when Disney regains the franchise, they set it in the same cinematic universe as all their other properties but make it much darker and realistic. It should ask why does the public champion heroes and other mutates but persecutes and demonizes mutants when they put their lives on the line just as often to save all humankind among other questions. The comics draw inspiration from very charged social and historical events so it'd be a travesty if they just made this another comedic superhero tale with no sense of responsibility or consequence. I want something akin to Rogue One for these films.

Oh, the other mutants for New Mutants who haven't had actors announced yet are Mirage, Sunspot, and Warlock.

Doubt they'll use the same Sunspot from DoFP.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
How do you do Dark Phoenix Saga without Phoenix Saga?

edit:

i guess that happens during Apocalypse. Havent seen the movie.

Slayven

Oh, the other mutants for New Mutants who haven't had actors announced yet are Mirage, Sunspot, and Warlock.

Doubt they'll use the same Sunspot from DoFP.

I thought they weren't doing Warlock? Please don't do Warlock, i can't take the disappointment

Will be really interesting to see if they actually give Warlock his unique speech pattern.

After Apocayplse i am more worried about the look

317442-108944-warlock.jpg

kswiston

Disney isn't getting back this license back at any time in the next decade. Deadpool and Logan just made $1.4B between them, for about the combined cost of something like Civil War (marketing included).

Cheebo

Banned
They should just scrap this series or release the reigns to Disney/Marvel and allow them to make these movies because First Class is the only one that did anything good for the franchise since X2. Apocalypse was a waste and Days of Futures Past definitely didn't live up to the hype or capitalize on the world First Class created.

Hopefully when Disney regains the franchise, they set it in the same cinematic universe as all their other properties but make it much darker and realistic. It should ask why does the public champion heroes and other mutates but persecutes and demonizes mutants when they put their lives on the line just as often to save all humankind among other questions. The comics draw inspiration from very charged social and historical events so it'd be a travesty if they just made this another comedic superhero tale with no sense of responsibility or consequence. I want something akin to Rogue One for these films.

Holy fucking shit. Did you live under a rock and miss the highly critically acclaimed films Logan and Deadpool? Logan is one of the highest critically praised films in the genre period.

Fox is not giving the rights to Disney, why in the world would you even think that is remotely possible? They make tons of money and out of their last 6 films of First Class, The Wolverine, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse, Deadpool, and Logan only one single one of them wasn't well received. They are batting 5/6 for the last few years in terms of audience and critics reactions.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Okay so X-Men: Apoc has Jean control the Phoenix to save the day. But X-Men: Dark Phoenix suggests she can't control it?

Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom