• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 scratching discs... not a myth?

Kibbles said:
Don't move your Xbox 360 while it's on with a disc in it. Common fuckin sense.
discman02.jpg

naldo

My Copy of Guitar Hero 2 was eaten by my 360. Made some horrible noise when it was loading a song, got a DRE, tried to restart the game and got another DRE. Took it out and there was a groove carved into the disc. Only happened that one time though.

MIMIC

Banned
My 360 fucked both my Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 discs.

Thank the Lord for GameCrazy. The fix them for $2.

seat

Scratching has yet to happen to any of my Xbox 360 games. Bought the system a year and a half ago and I've never had a problem. I keep my console horizontal, which I believe helps prevent this from happening.

Susurrus

ouchx100 said:
My 360 hasnt scratched anything yet. Im even one of those idiots thats moves it while its on too. Only because my pc and 360 share the only ethernet cable that runs to this room and I cant see to plug it into the 360 without moving it a bit.

Sucks for those that want to use it in the car though. I used to take my ps2 on roadtrips and play it in the car.:D

You should invest in one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124005

Several ongoing lawsuits charge that the Xbox 360 is defectively designed because tilting or swiveling the video game console can scratch game discs playing inside.

Well no shit what did you think would happen? :lol

People will sue for anything. Sure, my 360 has made hair-mark scratches on my copy of COD4, but installations have fixed my problem and made the games more enjoyable through performance perks.

wotter

I thought this was common info by now? Hardware.info did some research and found that early drives didn't have any protection (remember the Kassa incident some time ago):

unprotected 360 drive:
xbox360-laser-closeup.jpg

protected drive:
xbox360-sh-d162-kussentjes.jpg

so i was wondering, than the xbox 360, what consoles are widely known to scratch disks if you move them with a disk inside?

i mean, other than PS1, which i'm sure many of us flipped upside down to play i doubt many people actually move their consoles with a spinning disk very often, but was this ever really an issue with any other optical disk drive?

or cd walkmen, vehicle cd players, laptops, portable dvd players, etc?

Gattsu25

Banned
One of my coworkers' 360 scratched up his games badly and, ancient as it is, my O.G. Xbox killed a few of my games, including my copy of Phantom Dust. My system wasn't moved, dropped, or mishandled and (if he is to be believed) neither was his.

Faceless: Just about every drive is capable of damaging a disc if the drive is moved while the disc is inside...it depends on the severity of the move and the manufacturing of the drive. The OG XBox, with a Thompson drive, is the only drive I've ever witnessed that did that without any motion to the drive itself.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm glad that the solution most of the time is as simple as not moving it while it's reading a disc since I have absolutely no reason for doing so anyway.

EctoPrime

Emotions said:
On a side note Xbox360 dvd's look and are extremely fragile definately weaker than PS3,PS2 or Wii discs. Dunno why though....

I haven't noticed anything with the 360 games but OXM demos discs are very, very thin for some reason.

My Xbox has scratched loads of discs. I had to get my Blue Dragon discs repaired just to finish the game. Really rather annoying, actually.

dfyb said:
most other devices, even disc drives in PCs, use padding to keep the disc safe even with movement
Tell that to one of the guys I manage who decided to shift a PC while it was on with a disc after I told him not to.

Suffice to say, the shattered disc and destroyed drive means he listens to me more often.

Walshicus

I've had one broken disc so far - Fable 2. My dog heared barking in the game, came bounding into the room and knocked over the 360. I thought it was both amusing and deeply irritating.

Amory

Ugh. Yeah. My Rock Band 2 disc was utterly destroyed by my 360 when my friend knocked the console over...

Perfect circular scratch in the middle of the DVD

bluehat9

I can't install Fallout 3 since my 360 scratched it up all over the place. And I haven't moved the system in months. Didn't try any other games lately (installed BanjoKazooie: NB as soon as I opened the packaging and that seems to be working fine though).

Both my early near-launch 360s would scratch selected game disks.
Some disks would play fine without any issues, other games like FAR CRY INSTINCTS PREDATOR would get scratched to hell for no reason.
My 360 is always laid horizontally, on a stable entertainment unit.
It was out of warranty, so I cracked the box open and cleaned off the DD laser with a Qtip and greased the pins and screw shaft. That seemed to help.
I watched a couple of vids on YouTube which pointed the finger at a supposed magnet in the top of the DD, but my DD didn't have such a magnet.

Meier

Definitley not a myth. I got a 360 because of Oblivion and scratched the SHIT out of it on the 1st day. Didn't know any better and tried to turn it on its side while the game was starting up... found out later about the huge gash in the disc. Fortunately I was able to swap it out at CC for a different one.

Zoltrix

My The Orange Box disc is scratched beyond belief. Sometimes it freezes when loading a TF2 game (I'm not sure if this is because of a scratched disc because it'll work the vast majority of the time), but the real problem is I can't install it to my HD because I keep getting a disc error.

I keep my 360 vertical and never move it when playing.

McLovin

I haven't had any problems with mine yet(probably because its new) but my cousin traded in about 10 games because they either didn't play anymore or only played sometimes. He always put his games back in their cases when he was done playing.

Owensboro

My roommate lost his copy of Gears of War 2 to this "myth" yesterday. On that note, is there anyone he can call / write to about getting a new disc due to the scratches? or is he boned and he needs to buy a new copy. I figured he could call someone about it (as I remember people getting their copies of Halo 3 replaces when they were scratched).

Anyone know? I feel bad for him because he was WTF addicted to the online multiplayer, but at least now I can play some LBP cause the TV is free.

McLovin

Madsucktion said:
My roommate lost his copy of Gears of War 2 to this "myth" yesterday. On that note, is there anyone he can call / write to about getting a new disc due to the scratches? or is he boned and he needs to buy a new copy. I figured he could call someone about it (as I remember people getting their copies of Halo 3 replaces when they were scratched).

Anyone know? I feel bad for him because he was WTF addicted to the online multiplayer, but at least now I can play some LBP cause the TV is free.
Damn that's got to suck. That game just came out, I know Microsoft replaces discs but you have to pay and I think its only on first party... so I don't think it applies to gears :/

My ruined LO disc 4 is proof that you don't need to tilt the console to get some scratches. Dammit I was so close to that 1000/1000 score. :/

RavenFox

Banned
Tobor said:
I guess it's true in some cases, but 2 years and 3 machines later, I've never had a scratched disk.

Adamant said:
I've had 5 different 360s counting my backup unit, never a single disk scratch.

I think some people might be mistaking natural marks on the DVDs that can look like a ring of scratches, but that's just the way it's pressed.

Obviously it at least happens sometimes.

RSTEIN said:
I don't think it's a myth... know lots and lots of people with scratched discs. I've gone through three 360s but never had a scratched disc.

bigdaddygamebot said:
I'm on number five as far as replacements go. Never had a scratched disc.

Then again, I'm not a fuckin' tool that moves my console WHILE a disc is being played. It's frightening that some of these geniuses are out there breeding. I guess when GTA IV gets scratched while your twelve year old is playing it, and you had to move the Xbox 360 because someone knocked over the jar of poison that's next to the baby's crib which is sitting underneath the Xbox 360...

...things break.

uh huh...

Disc scratching is real... but only on the early models of the 360 where the laser didn't have the rubber protectors around them which would have prevented the laser contacting the disc, which causes a scratch. But even with those systems, you'd need to either have your 360 on an uneven surface, have it vertical, or move it while it is in use to have a scratch happen.

BigAT

How is this a myth? Weren't there videos available online of people showing it was very real and demonstrating how it happened?

I had this happen to my Rock Band disc. The 360 caused a large, circular groove on the disc that was quite noticeable and resulted in many disc read errors while trying to play.

I called up MS and after arguing with customer service for a while they still refused to replace the disc, but sent me a copy of Viva Pinata instead. I called up EA and after going through a few different CSRs, I finally found one that sent me a brand new game disc for free. I suspect this is the exception and not the rule. This was right near the launch of RB and I suspect that they told the CSRs to just replace everything since all the hardware was failing and someone accidentally decided to send me a free disc.

infinityBCRT said:
Disc scratching is real... but only on the early models of the 360 where the laser didn't have the rubber protectors around them which would have prevented the laser contacting the disc, which causes a scratch. But even with those systems, you'd need to either have your 360 on an uneven surface, have it vertical, or move it while it is in use to have a scratch happen.
hm ... no

My Halo 2 disc got scratched when the console got knocked over while it was running. I blamed myself for knocking it over but now that I think about it, I guess that usually doesn't damage discs.

wotter said:
I thought this was common info by now? Hardware.info did some research and found that early drives didn't have any protection (remember the Kassa incident some time ago):

unprotected 360 drive:
xbox360-laser-closeup.jpg

protected drive:
xbox360-sh-d162-kussentjes.jpg

Thats what I was talking about.

And for the 360s with the unprotected lens, it is VERY important to have it on an absolutely flat surface. On the carpet in my room I can get grinding noises even though my 360 is technically flat on it. On my TV stand I've never had that happen though.

domlolz

Banned
My Fable II got scratched which was probably down to the console being nudged while on.One of those disc repair things seemed to have fixed it though rather than buy a new copy for £30

The 360 is a whole clusterfuck of design faults

domlolz said:
My Fable II got scratched which was probably down to the console being nudged while on.One of those disc repair things seemed to have fixed it though rather than buy a new copy for £30

The 360 is a whole clusterfuck of design faults
Now there's an interesting story. What disc repair thingy did you buy?

Cruzader

Banned
shame cuz with the PS2, you could tilt it/move it while playing a game and woudnt cuz such a fuck up. Anyways it wasnt really a myth as it was non in the 360 community.

Keric

bathala said:
Reason MS added the option to install games to HDD?

That's what I thought. But I still get "Disk Read Error" on my installed games. I mean wtf is that. Gears of War, Burnout Paradise, and GTA 4 all give me DRE after a few minutes of play, even though they are installed. And no, I've never moved my console when it was on. Ridiculous

Zoe

infinityBCRT said:
On the carpet in my room I can get grinding noises even though my 360 is technically flat on it. On my TV stand I've never had that happen though.

You should be keeping that thing off the carpet regardless!

Zoe said:
You should be keeping that thing off the carpet regardless!

No red ring yet and its 2 years old *knock on wood* :D

In fact the only two times where I noticed a GPU screw up over the last 2 years (screen went green), it was when it was in the TV stand's shelf (which doesn't have any walls to block air). Its never happened in my room-- although perhaps I'll try to put something underneath my 360 just to be safe.

Madman

infinityBCRT said:
I had my 360 on an even floor, laying flat, and nothing in the room was moving when it scratched my Oblivion disk the second time(I already had taken back one scratched disk). It's fine now, since I took it back and the second 360 lasted me well over a year, but there is no doubt that some first generation of 360s scratched disks.
Madsucktion said:

Back when I was looking into getting my first Oblivion disk replaced, the deal was that Microsoft would replace the scratched disk with PDZ. I just took the disk back both times. If your friend has a receipt and didn't buy Gears until a couple days after launch(less then 30 days ago), he could try taking it back. Other then that, I have no clue what MS's current policy is. And hopefully I'll never need to research what it is.

painey

my original gears disk was scratched in my console without it moving, just over time. I would have been pissed, but they sent me another copy free as compensation for my 3rd 360 repair.

Top Bottom