• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xanadu Next (PC/Falcom) translation released!

ctrayne

Grimmy said:
Falcom is a Japanese company. Their primary market is the Japanese market. In fact, before XSEED came along they had next to no interest in markets outside of Japan, apart from licensing their games out to third-parties. You can't expect them to suddenly jump into something new and, to them, unproven. Their expertise is to cater to the Japanese market, and so far they've been doing great with the PSP in Japan. Why wouldn't they continue doing so?

Falcom has persisted for nearly 30 years precisely because they have carefully honed their niche and never tried to overexpand, like many of their peers. Their history shows that they are quite reluctant to jump into anything without careful considerations, and I'm sure this holds true now with Steam. Remember, the company is tiny, and their staff do the coding for XSEED's releases as well. It's unreasonable to expect suddenly a flood of Steam games from then.
I get what you are saying, but I'm not expecting a flood of Steam games. Myself and others are asking for 5 to 15 year old, already existing PC games to be released worldwide. Translations are already done for most of them. There's very, very little work to do on their part, so they can keep being focused on churning out endless Trails sequels while letting us dirty foreigners enjoy their older games.

Yuterald

omg...this game. Been playing it all morning and I'm absolutely obsessed and enamored by it. Falcom has become one of my favorite, if not current favorite developer over the past year or so. I didn't really know too much about this game until I saw this thread regarding the English patch. I've heard Xanadu mentioned over the years, but I never researched it enough because of the fact that it was exclusively on PC and only in Japanese. It's just so...perfect. Here is just a quick summary/mini-impression/review from what I've played:

Combat & Dungeons: There's just something about Falcom and their games. This game just feels super polished and TIGHT. The combat is just interesting enough too. I love circling behind enemies for those back attacks and the fact that enemies telegraph their attacks makes the point & click combat 100% more fun. I'm usually not a fan of PC gaming because mouse and keyboard just doesn't feel right to me. I'm actually quite comfortable and fine with using a mouse for this though. I've been born and bread on consoles since I was a kid and BARELY used PCs for gaming. I like Diablo, but I'm not obsessed with it. This is absolutely a Diablo-like game, but it FEELS like a console/portable game and it fits like a glove for me.

I don't know about anyone else, but this game gives me some Vagrant Story vibes, which is always a good thing. In general, Xanadu Next feels like a cross between Ys, Diablo, and Vagrant Story. The thing that tipped me off about VS in particular were the crate puzzles. It just looks and feels WAY to similar to Vagrant, lol! I felt like I was exploring the depths of Lea Monde with all those bats, lizard guys, and crates in that intro, cellar dungeon, hah!

Also, I am a BIG sucker for games that have Zelda-like tools. Most Ys games do this already, but I've read in the town there is an item that will break rocks/walls later and it looks like there is something that lets you breath under water for longer durations. I LOVE backtracking tools/items. I'm sure there is going to be super cool wrap around doors and paths that connect the game all over the place. It's that Alundra/Zelda/Metroid/King's Field/Dark Souls, (lol) design that ignites so many triggers in my brain. I love it.

Leveling, Equipment, & Stats: The leveling up and progression systems feel so refined and thought out. Simplistic, yet rewarding is the best way to describe it. One thing I love about Falcom games, as I mentioned before, is just the overall tightness in their leveling/progression systems. You won't do damage to most enemies unless you are the right level or have the right equipment and spell. The Ys games seemed to be programmed in a similar nature too.

I fought the first major boss already and I was doing dick to it. The boss used a lot of fire attacks and all my shots were doing about 1 damage. I was like, fuck, what do I do now? I go back to the town and the armor shop sells a fire resistant helmet and the item shop sells an ice magic scroll. I bought that shit, went back to the boss, and blew it away. So perfect. I feel like a lot of RPG developers forget the basics sometimes, especially nowadays. There's just something so rewarding about something as simplistic as this.

Setting & Graphics: Not really a graphics nut, but I love the way the game looks. Falcom games always have nice aesthetics and more importantly they always perform well and feel good. The best way to put it is that they get the job done. Another thing I really dig about Falcom and their games is that they always spin a nice twist on an old idea. Their games are usually not the most fascinating or interesting (well, besides Legend of Heroes), but there is always something unique or special about the plot and characters. You can ALWAYS look forward to that cool twist at the end of the game that you never see coming.

Well, enough ranting and raving about this game. I am just so happy to have a new, fresh Falcom game to play. PLEASE, Falcom, XSEED, put this game on Vita!

Grimmy

Banned
Yuterald said:
I had a buddy hook me up, to say the least. =)

I was in Tokyo 2 days before this thread went up *kicks self*. And I travel too much right now without a real fixed address so mail ordering will be a nightmare.

ctrayne

Nice to see you're enjoying the game, Yuterald. I'm glad I'm not crazy for loving the game so much. It's a masterfully produced game.

Aeana

Yuterald, posts like yours are exactly what I was hoping for when I heard that this game would be translated. Well, I actually feel this way when any game I love is being translated. I love finding out how people who have been denied these games feel about stuff when they finally get to play them.

I'm really glad you like the game, and yes I hope for a port as well just so more people can play the game, since I doubt many will play it even with this patch (I guess unless they bother to resort to piracy or something, but to be honest I can't even imagine many people bothering with that). I think this game is a game that is hard to sell from screenshots alone - the concept just doesn't get across at all. I don't really like to call it a "Diablo-like" because it has some extremely key differences, but I do it since that is what western gamers will relate to most. The Vagrant Story comparison is excellent, though, and not one I ever personally thought of.

Doomrider

Add me to the list of people hoping/waiting for this to be sold on Steam. If it eventually happens, I'll be sure to play it. I've watched a couple of gameplay videos (and the trailer in the OP) and it looks fun.

That reminds me, I've got to buy Trails in the Sky one of these days.

ctrayne

Aeana said:
The Vagrant Story comparison is excellent, though, and not one I ever personally thought of.
Indeed, never thought of it that way, but my Japanese is terrible, so that's probably part of the reason. :)

Doomrider said:
Add me to the list of people hoping/waiting for this to be sold on Steam. If it eventually happens, I'll be sure to play it. I've watched a couple of gameplay videos (and the trailer in the OP) and it looks fun.
Don't wait for something that might never happen. Break down and grab it from Falcom. :)

Doomrider

ctrayne said:
Don't wait for something that might never happen. Break down and grab it from Falcom. :)
But it's too expensive (for me, anyway) =/ If I was a Falcom fan, I probably would, though.

LegatoB

I'm extremely disappointed that Falcom still hasn't put up a proper, secured web form for overseas purchases. I'd love to purchase a bunch of games directly from them rather than from resellers, but there's no way in hell you're going to get me to send my credit card information through a plaintext e-mail. This was a cute workaround 8 years ago; now, it's just frustrating.

ctrayne

I found a temporary work around until the resolution patcher is fixed. Thanks to Xalphenos on my buddy's website for the tip.

Find the offset "000E3910" and change 0004000000040000 to 8007000080070000.

If you don't want to mess up your exe, you can wait until the res patcher is fixed, but this worked for me. :)

YPPDg.jpg

micah

Question, this is in the ReadMe.txt for the patch:

"If you installed Falcom's game patches already, don't worry about the game version:
the patch works starting from any known game version and always brings the game to
the more recently released version 1.0.14e"

So does this mean installing the patch from the http://www.falcom.co.jp/xanadu_next/support/extra.html site is or is -not- needed?

Aeana

It's not needed. The translation patcher will install it automatically if you don't. But if you already have, that doesn't matter either.

ctrayne

micah said:
Question, this is in the ReadMe.txt for the patch:

"If you installed Falcom's game patches already, don't worry about the game version:
the patch works starting from any known game version and always brings the game to
the more recently released version 1.0.14e"

So does this mean installing the patch from the http://www.falcom.co.jp/xanadu_next/support/extra.html site is or is -not- needed?
I think the "e" in 1.0.14e refers to the "extra" content, so I think you are ok with just the English patch. Not sure though.

Edit: In celebration, one of the best tracks in the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzLOlywGmmA&feature=related

ctrayne said:
I found a temporary work around until the resolution patcher is fixed. Thanks to Xalphenos on my buddy's website for the tip.

If you don't want to mess up your exe, you can wait until the res patcher is fixed, but this worked for me. :)
Can you upload the exe?

ctrayne

BishopLamont said:
Can you upload the exe?
Do you mean the patched Xanadu.exe? I'm not sure if that would be against the rules or not. If a mod wants to advise, that would be great.

It's pretty easy to do with a basic hex editor though, that's what I did. Or just wait until tomorrow, the rez patch should be done then.

ctrayne

TyrantGuardian said:
Will the resolution patch properly align the 2D UI elements or will those be stretched like in your screenshots?
Stretched, for now, but we're looking into it. I'll take a stretched GUI with proper widescreen everything else over pillarboxing though. :)

ctrayne said:
Stretched, for now, but we're looking into it. I'll take a stretched GUI with proper widescreen everything else over pillarboxing though. :)

Meh, I don't mind 4:3 at all. I would gladly play it in 1600x1200 personally, so I'll still keep an eye on the resolution patch for sure!

Aeana

ctrayne said:

Thanks, looks much better now.

Aeana

micah said:
Anyone playing with the xbox gamepad? I keep switching between pad for playing and mouse for menu.
If you bind the "switch to mouse" function to a button, if you hold that button you will be in mouse mode and you can move the cursor with the left stick. It isn't optimal, but you wouldn't need to switch to the mouse to play.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lactose_Intolerant said:
How do you save in this game?

Seems decent so far, but has some of the worst modeled shoulders I've ever seen. PS1 games have better shoulders.
You have to touch the grey pillar by the entrance to the city.

Also, if anyone is getting annoyed by how many keys you need, get the bone carving knife asap. You can use it to automatically create keys from the bones that enemies drop in pretty large frequency early in the game.

The female warrior with the pink hair (Whose name escapes me) will offer to sell it to you when you meet her in the first zone.

Also, keys get more expensive the more you buy, so watch out for that.

Whoa, this might be one of the better Zelda-ish games I've played. Loving every second of the mechanics thus far. Translation is semi-iffy and lacks some personality but I really don't feel like complaining about that considering what a monumental task it must have been. The story seems fairly compelling as well, not too much of that general jRPG insanity for now.

Oh, and it also reminds me somewhat of Dark Souls, with the equipment stat requirements and the shortcuts between areas that open up further into the dungeons... that is a very good thing!

Aeana

thetrin said:
You have to touch the grey pillar by the entrance to the city.

Also, if anyone is getting annoyed by how many keys you need, get the bone carving knife asap. You can use it to automatically create keys from the bones that enemies drop in pretty large frequency early in the game.

The female warrior with the pink hair (Whose name escapes me) will offer to sell it to you when you meet her in the first zone.

Also, keys get more expensive the more you buy, so watch out for that.
Selling bones to the item shop reduces the price of keys.

Aeana

TyrantGuardian said:
Whoa, this might be one of the better Zelda-ish games I've played. Loving every second of the mechanics thus far. Translation is semi-iffy and lacks some personality but I really don't feel like complaining about that considering what a monumental task it must have been. The story seems fairly compelling as well, not too much of that general jRPG insanity for now.

Oh, and it also reminds me somewhat of Dark Souls, with the equipment stat requirements and the shortcuts between areas that open up further into the dungeons... that is a very good thing!
I disagree about the translation. Have you read the tablets and memoirs? They are quite well-written and certainly better than anything XSEED has put out in terms of Falcom games (especially the totally dry Ys 7 translation).

ctrayne

Lactose_Intolerant said:
Seems decent so far, but has some of the worst modeled shoulders I've ever seen. PS1 games have better shoulders.
Truly the strangest complaint I have ever read. Reminds me of "sharp knees". :)

Keep in mind the game was never intended to be seen at 1080p. 3D has never been Falcom's strong suit, but I do like the art direction in Xanadu Next. This might actually be their first fully 3D title (meaning no sprites).

Have any of you here played the original Xanadu or the scenario add-on? I'm not talking about Legend of Xanadu on the PCE, that's totally different. I'm talking about this.

If not, I recommend it for a number of reasons. For one, it's Falcom's first successful game, and if I am not mistaken, is the best selling Japanese-developed PC game of all time. It's also a great game in it's own right and is brutal, lonely and excellent considering its age. But more importantly, it will make you appreciate so much more about what makes Xanadu Next so great. XN truly is a successor to the original in all these little ways, like how the chests appear after killing every enemy in a room (and how accidental magic attacks can destroy the chests). There are loads of references to Xanadu in XN in the plot, the game mechanics and even in the names of items.

Edit: I love this description of the original Xanadu's layout:

Each "layer" or stratum has its own complex network of buildings, caves and tunnels, and are often very elaborate, sometimes approaching constructionist art in appearance and complexity. There are ten levels which are progressively more challenging.

ctrayne said:
Have any of you here played the original Xanadu or the scenario add-on? I'm not talking about Legend of Xanadu on the PCE, that's totally different. I'm talking about this.
Yup, I have the Saturn Falcom Collection discs that have it on there and it's actually a pretty neat game.

But I also have a strange fascination with very ancient computer RPGs, so I may be a little biased.

ctrayne

PixyJunket said:
Yup, I have the Saturn Falcom Collection discs that have it on there and it's actually a pretty neat game.
I think a tiny bit of its charm is lost with the nicer graphics, but overall its the most playable version of the original Xanadu and I like it too. Check out Revival Xanadu/Revival Xanadu II Remix sometime, they have great music and retain the darker color palette.

Aeana

Xanadu was one of my first games. Turns out it was also one of the first action RPGs ever, too.
I have fairly fond memories of it but I tried playing it recently and didn't really like it.

ctrayne

Aeana said:
Xanadu was one of my first games. Turns out it was also one of the first action RPGs ever, too.
Wow, lots of respect for you!

Aeana said:
I have fairly fond memories of it but I tried playing it recently and didn't really like it.
Aw. :( That's understandable, though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Aeana said:
Selling bones to the item shop reduces the price of keys.
Hah, never realized that. I always just used them to make keys.

ctrayne

Lactose_Intolerant said:
Sorry, that's my job so I get bummed out when I see horribly made art assets.
Makes sense, though "horrible" seems like a stretch. Stuff looks OK in my screenshots, or are you talking about NPCs?

Like I said, I think this was the first game Falcom made with 3D characters, and they've never been even close to the leading edge of technology, so it makes sense. Falcom is all about gameplay first, music second, and everything else later. :)

Vamphuntr

I'm checking Falcom's store support page and from what I can gather you have to order from them by email if you are an international customer? You have to send you CC info by email? Not sure I like that. Any other place where I can get this? It doesn't seem to be in stock at Play-Asia.

Aeana

Vamphuntr said:
I'm checking Falcom's store support page and from what I can gather you have to order from them by email if you are an international customer? You have to send you CC info by email? Not sure I like that. Any other place where I can get this? It doesn't seem to be in stock at Play-Asia.
Yes, you have to do it via email. I linked an info page about it earlier in the thread.
I understand being hesitant to do it, but I have been doing it for over a decade and have never run into any issues whatsoever.

ctrayne

Aeana said:
Yes, you have to do it via email. I linked an info page about it earlier in the thread.
I understand being hesitant to do it, but I have been doing it for over a decade and have never run into any issues whatsoever.
Same here, ordered probably 20 times from them over the years.

Vamphuntr

Since you both bought from them before via email it makes me less scared to do it. Is their shipping expensive?

I also found the Win7 version at Amazon JP but I'm not sure they ship PC games worldwide.

Edit : NVM they clearly don't

I have also bought from them over eMail several times with zero issues.

The shipping is a little expensive as it will be EMS, but overall it should still generally be cheaper than buying it from a shop like Play-Asia.

If you have patience, you can wait for it to show up in a weekly deal.

Yuterald

Just beat the second major boss. Got my cool rock breaker gauntlet. Seriously, the more I play this game the more it reminds me of Vagrant Story. I mean, damn, I thought the intro/tutorial dungeon felt like VS, but the Endless Maze dungeon...are you kidding me? That place REEKS of Lea Monde. Even the way the music starts reminds me of VS. Check out these tracks from VS and Xanadu and you'd think they are from the same game!

Xanadu Next: Endless Maze
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgS2G4nP6FQ

Vagrant Story: Undercity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq5pqeTEwIY&feature=related

It's mainly the way both tracks begin. I'm not crazy, right? I mean, exploring the Endless Maze in this game, with all the bats, lizards, crate puzzles, skeletons, etc. the game just has the VS feel and look. That game HAD to have some sort of inspiration for this remake. Anyway, still loving the game. I'm so obsessed with getting 200% proficiency with a weapon before I try out a new one. Once I got that guardian card that increases weapon prof it only became more addicting to level up stuff.

I actually switched to my PS2 controller after using the mouse for awhile. My hand was cramping too much (probably from playing too long, lol) from using the mouse so now I'm more comfortable with a standard controller. I still feel like the game plays really well with two analog sticks & buttons. This game REALLY would translate well to a console/portable (Vita, please). People were claiming the game is easier with a pad? Is it really though?

JoeFenix

I'm nearing the end of the game, heading into Strangerock Castle.

Great stuff, really nice wrap around design in the dungeons. Backtracking when you get a new gear item always leads to some good stuff. Game seems kinda short though sadly, I'm not even 10 hours in and I'd be very surprised if it took me more than 20 to do everything.

Favorite music track so far was the forest, haunting stuff, can't pinpoint what it reminds me of but sounds a bit castlevania-ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzLOlywGmmA

Anyway, highly recommend people check this game out, definitely worth playing!

Yuterald

Joe, did you ever come across a spell scroll for Thunder LV 1 other than the copy that is sold in the shop? The shop updated after beating the second major boss and it sells everything it used to sell BUT the first level of Thunder magic. I forgot to purchase it near the start of the game so I feel like I'm screwed out of that magic already, lol! Did you ever happen to come across it from a chest or enemy drop?

JoeFenix

Really don't remember but if your goal is to have 1 of everything then I don't even think it's possible due to limited inventory room. Too many items if you try and get one of every level of every spell book.

You'll also start getting Armor+1's and stuff like that. Not gonna happen, sorry!

Top Bottom