• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Dashboard update details

pswii60

Mmmkay said:
Good job my monitor has a composite input, but no, that did not fix it. Tearing is still permanently there in 1080p.

That tearing has nothing to do with the 360 dashboard. It actually worked its way in when Capcom patched the game. Capcom would have to patch the game again to fix it. Has nothing to do with MS.

gcfan2k5

Mr Mike said:
WMP11 is a slow, unintuitive piece of shit. IMO. I don't want to have to have a library of my videos, I just want something to point the Xbox to the folder, a la XBMC - is that poissible? What other solutions are there out there? I got WMC, but it doesn't seem to work - do I need to disable WMP11 to get that to work?

(and I know - Waa waa waa I'm a big baby, etc.)

Tversity works great www.tversity.com. Once you set it all up (not hard to do really, if you need help just ask) it works fine. Disable media sharing in media player 11, Windows Media Connect is built into media player 11, its the same software, so it no longer functions once WMP11 is installed.

Firestorm

Meh. I've streamed both DivX and H264 and the quality when I output using my laptop using VGA seems to be better. Am I just seeing things?

Also, having to use Zune to stream mp4 and WMP11 to stream DivX is annoying.

clashfan

Firestorm said:
Meh. I've streamed both DivX and H264 and the quality when I output using my laptop using VGA seems to be better. Am I just seeing things?

Also, having to use Zune to stream mp4 and WMP11 to stream DivX is annoying.

The quality should be the same when using your computer or the 360. I'm streaming mp4 files with wmp11 and have no problems...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i'm probably mistaken, but aren't divx avi files usually just a way to pirate dvds and whatnot? guess i'm curious as to places that sell divx files legally. why would microsoft open the gates like this if they know that divx=piracy?

(and i know a lot of people here have ripped their own collection to watch on their 360, not sure why)

the update's nice, though. i like the blade speed ingame, but the loading is pretty annoying. they still have a way to go, i guess.

Firestorm

mattiewheels said:
i'm probably mistaken, but aren't divx avi files usually just a way to pirate dvds and whatnot? guess i'm curious as to places that sell divx files legally. why would microsoft open the gates like this if they know that divx=piracy?

(and i know a lot of people here have ripped their own collection to watch on their 360, not sure why)

the update's nice, though. i like the blade speed ingame, but the loading is pretty annoying. they still have a way to go, i guess.

It's also fairly good to chop down your videos to size. You can make an uncompressed file about 10% of its former size. So 4GB > 400MB. But yeah, mostly used to encode downloaded movies and tv shows and stuff.

Big-E

Is there away to get rid of Arcade game demos showing up in your games played list? Wasn't that suppose to be in this update? I can't seem to find how to do it.

Mmmkay

pswii60 said:
That tearing has nothing to do with the 360 dashboard. It actually worked its way in when Capcom patched the game. Capcom would have to patch the game again to fix it. Has nothing to do with MS.
Ah, I didn't know it was something Capcom did to start it. I thought it came through in a Dash update.

Brakara

Big-E said:
Is there away to get rid of Arcade game demos showing up in your games played list? Wasn't that suppose to be in this update? I can't seem to find how to do it.

No and no. Future demos will not show up though.

xbhaskarx

Item 3/8 on the US "Inside Xbox" is Larry Hyrb interviewing Jeff Bell. :lol
I didn't realize he was Corporate VP of Marketing, no wonder he comes off so fake and slimy.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Well I can confirm that the update bricked my 360. As soon as the update finished I got the 3 red lights. This sucks!

Rlan

Does anyone know if they intend to update Xbox.com to allow users to see Friends of Friends, or edit your Bio that way?

neptunes

Gunstar77 said:
Well I can confirm that the update bricked my 360. As soon as the update finished I got the 3 red lights. This sucks!
wow

I guess the update added RROD functionality to your console :(

Rlan

The Faceless Master said:
you can see friends of friends and more on www.zune.net

"The Zune service is not yet available in your region. Thanks for your interest! Please continue to check Zune.net for the latest news and information."

:(

Edit: Actually.. it is working. Took some futzing around though :)

Rlan: How I futz around...?

Also, YAY! WMP started working again, and I now enjoy DivX/Xvid content from my PC to my projector. I love it.

bry-bry

Gunstar77 said:

Haven't updated yet and this is not what I wanted to read. :/

Is this a widespread issue?

Dai Kaiju

Gunstar77 said:

In all seriousness, don't forget to bring a towel. That shit works.

Maaseru

Banned
No_Style said:
Yes. It prompts you to do so. Once it does, everything works quite well. I tested with some Bleach episodes (episode 1 to be exact) and the top and bottom seem to be cut a bit. I tried playing with display options for both my TV and the XBOX 360, but no luck. I was also disappointed by the fact that my HP MediaVault was not recognized.
I was trying to watch bleach but when i pressed play to begin playback a message came up saying an update or some codecs were required. When I press download now there nothing there except the mp4 update to download any pointers?

Been using this functionality a lot this weekend. Night and day compared to how it used to work... so crisp and fast. Also had to download the mini update (which seemed to have nothing to do with the file I was playing) but it worked perfectly.

Maaseru said:
I was trying to watch bleach but when i pressed play to begin playback a message came up saying an update or some codecs were required. When I press download now there nothing there except the mp4 update to download any pointers?

I am having a similar issue. It seems that maybe it only plays back divx files when you're connected to xbl, or so ive experienced. My account doesnt automatically log on so as such I can do whatever I want and then connect if I choose to. Anyway, when trying to play back a divx file it prompts to download the media update, which I had previously done but went ahead and did so again. 360 connected to XBL and then played the file fine.

I tried the same thing again , same file and it prompted again connected and then proceeded to play the file. I dunno if this is normal or not, I'm going to try to delete the file and grab it fresh and also try to download fresh, play the file, disconnect and try to play the file. Hopefully i wont have to connect everytime i want to watch a dvix file or .avi etc. Very strange.

boco77

Banned
Ok why isnt it letting me stream music or videos from my pc anymore? I'm using WMP11 as my streaming software and it says could not connect to my pc even though it shows up on the blade.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
bry-bry said:
Haven't updated yet and this is not what I wanted to read. :/

Is this a widespread issue?

Well I got the box to return it Thursday night. So Friday I went to the UPS Store to send it out. I got in line and the guy behind the counter said I will take your 360 & put with rest of them I got today. Now, he knew it was a 360 when it was in plain white box, that tells me that this is a problem. Plus they was at least 6 units behind the counter not including the ones he problem put on a skid in the back for the daily pick up. When I get my 360 back, if I get the RROD again I will trade it in for credit because that is total BS IMO. I have owned pretty much every system since the 2600, except for the original PS, 5200, & Sega Master System. Out all the those systems only 1 broke on me & it was the SNES because my brother spilled soda on it. Granted I loved my 360 up until this point because Xbox Live makes things so easy to play with friends but the poor design of the console & the even worst customer service has turned me off. I do feel sorry for you guys that have gone threw 3 & 4 360's because $400 bucks is no drop in the bucket & not to able play when you want because it is in for repairs again is a joke. Well, at least I do have my PS3 to fall back on but not everyone can afford 2 $400+ consoles. If Sony can get the PSN up to the level of Live, I would never had bought a 360.

PS. 2 of my friends 360's died last week as well, so it maybe the update?

clashfan

I have some mp4 videos with embedded subtitles. I can see the subtitles when I play the videos on my PC but when streaming to 360 I don't get any subtitles. How can I get the subtitles to work on my 360?

clashfan said:
I have some mp4 videos with embedded subtitles. I can see the subtitles when I play the videos on my PC but when streaming to 360 I don't get any subtitles. How can I get the subtitles to work on my 360?

The 360 does not support any subtitle formats.

Johnkers

Anybody know if it's possible to get videos to play from the iPod hdd? I know the 360 can read it because I have some photos on there (just as data on the hard drive, not synced or anything) and it can read them as well as browse through all the folders just fine.

When I go to videos, the iPod doesn't pop up as an available source though :(

clashfan said:

When I was playing some AVIs after the update, I noticed there's a "Subtitles" option on the bar that appears with Play/Pause/Rewind/etc, that seemed new. Have you tried messing with that? Or does it not show up for you? (You can see the bar by moving the right stick a bit, I think.)

Kulock said:
When I was playing some AVIs after the update, I noticed there's a "Subtitles" option on the bar that appears with Play/Pause/Rewind/etc, that seemed new. Have you tried messing with that? Or does it not show up for you? (You can see the bar by moving the right stick a bit, I think.)

That's always been there as far as I'm aware - it's for when you watch DVD's. That's the only time the subtitle button works, not sure if the audio button is the same (DVD only) though.

MCD

dunno if someone noticed this yet...

i played Ninja Gaiden Black recently and noticed that it's listed under my games.

it was never like that before the latest dash update.

here is a shitty camera picture:
6qbj1w7.jpg

i don't think it matter anyway, since there are 0 achievements but i was kinda surprised to see it there.

Top Bottom