• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox At gamescom 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I would not say Sony is good at services. Absolutely not. They are missing a ton of pro-consumer stuff.

They have no BC, no ability to change gamertag, no Looking For Group, no steam-like refunds, no Play Anywhere, no ability to change gamertags, and no console cross-platform play.

So anti-consumer, they are missing the same thing twice! :D

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I think it will sell pretty well to current Xbox one owners looking for something new but for brining in new fresh buyers not at the price tag of £450.

Jup, but that's just a small part and not every current Xbox owner will purchase a XBOX.

Shiggy

Do we really need another Xbox thread turn into console wars? There are going to be new Xbox announcements (hardware and software) in a couple of hours, and already announced games will be shown in further detail. That's what this thread is about.

derFeef

Do we really need another Xbox thread turn into console wars? There are going to be new Xbox announcements (hardware and software) in a couple of hours, and already announced games will be shown in further detail. That's what this thread is about.

But we really need to know who the market leader is, I mean seriously, how can I go on with my life without knowing.

Montresor

Yes back to announcements.

Fingers crossed for the Recore Definitive Edition to be a free upgrade for existing announcers. I'd say it's very likely that will happen, but just not confirmed yet 100% by official sources.

Theorry

Are completely new game announcements actually expected? Might tune in then...

Nah dont expect it. E3 would be more the place for that with MS. Xbox One X is gonna be a big chunk of it. And rest is probably just usual Xbox daily stuff. Wich isnt a bad thing,

CheckMate

The wording in the OP makes me believe that this will just be a livestream ala Geoff at E3.

Are we actually expecting a conference?

Nah dont expect it. E3 would be more the place for that with MS. Xbox One X is gonna be a big chunk of it. And rest is probably just usual Xbox daily stuff. Wich isnt a bad thing,

At most, I think we can expect for Xbox One X footage for certain games.

Montresor

The dream: Halo MCC 2.0 fixes all problems MCC had along with 4k Update.

This is another good one.

Hmmm I hope they have a blowout of info for 360 BC, OG Xbox BC, and Scorpio patches.

Could be really feel good info if the announcements for above are substantial. Would cause goodwill even when missing new game announcements.

They could also try to secure third-party late ports as goodwill (well for me personally it would make me incredibly happy). Would love to see a sizzle reel of stuff like Crash, Hellblade, etc....

I think we'll only get significant 1st-party announcements in E3 2018. For better or for worse Phil Spencer is pretty much never going to reveal a game that isn't close to completion ever again.

see5harp

Sony improved their services a ton this generation though. The ability to create parties and send system level invites was really the only thing they needed to improve from last gen and they've had spotify since really early on when they realized that their own service was a failure.

EDIT: in any case all I want is a preorder. The scorpio should fix the issues I have with the launch xbox and also give me the ability to use this 4K TV in a meaningful way.

FN-2187

Nintendo : really good at quality game exclusives

Microsoft: really good at hardware, services and online

Sony: pretty good at what Nintendo and Microsoft are both really good at

It's all about choices

This is basically my view as well, which is why I have gone 360+Wii and One+WiiU the last two gens.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The dream: Halo MCC 2.0 fixes all problems MCC had along with 4k Update.

Let me say this - with Halo 2 sitting as my second favorite game of all time with at least 2,000 hours on the clock back in the day; the MCC was the biggest disappointment in gaming I've ever had after The Old Republic. Just a disaster. I was legit pissed trying to play that game - and each month they promised fixes were coming, and they never truly solved the issues. It single-handidly turned me sour on the Xbox One as a whole... and after Halo 5, I'm pretty much done with the series as a whole.

I have no intent to buy an X on Day One (or in the near future)... but a 4K MCC with 100% fixed feature set, and I would be there. I love this idea ;p

Lom1lo

Is the stream 4k ? Got a 4k Monitor this month^^

Edit: If we are already dreaming with a mcc fix: Halo 3 gets the Anniversary treatment and replaces the thing in mcc + all is fixed

Anti-consumer has lost its weight as much as it gets said around here.

:p

Let me say this - with Halo 2 sitting as my second favorite game of all time with at least 2,000 hours on the clock back in the day; the MCC was the biggest disappointment in gaming I've ever had after The Old Republic. Just a disaster. I was legit pissed trying to play that game - and each month they promised fixes were coming, and they never truly solved the issues. It single-handidly turned me sour on the Xbox One as a whole... and after Halo 5, I'm pretty much done with the series as a whole.

I have no intent to buy an X on Day One (or in the near future)... but a 4K MCC with 100% fixed feature set, and I would be there. I love this idea ;p

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

Has there been any info on their Bluray player? I am trying to replace my Android TV with all their entertainment apps as well as my dedicated Sony 4K Bluray player.

Also sidebar: anyone know if on an Xbox One S you can control the UI via a universal remote control? Like does it have any kind of CEC support?

So the stream will start at 9 PM CST right?

My ical says it's in 3 hours, at 2pm.

Has there been any info on their Bluray player? I am trying to replace my Android TV with all their entertainment apps as well as my dedicated Sony 4K Bluray player.

Also sidebar: anyone know if on an Xbox One S you can control the UI via a universal remote control? Like does it have any kind of CEC support?

The One X has a 4k bluray player like the XBone S, but the bluray player app is still the same: crummy.

No CEC support on any Xbox One afaik, it's all handled by the IR blaster on the console. Not sure about universal remotes, but there is an Xbox remote control available separately.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Is the stream 4k ? Got a 4k Monitor this month^^

Edit: If we are already dreaming with a mcc fix: Halo 3 gets the Anniversary treatment and replaces the thing in mcc + all is fixed

I'd be happier to wait for Reach Anniversary, if it was a choice.

The One X has a 4k bluray player like the XBone S, but the bluray player app is still the same: crummy.

No CEC support on any Xbox One afaik, it's all handled by the IR blaster on the console. Not sure about universal remotes, but there is an Xbox remote control available separately.

Dang. I really wanted this to be the replacement for all these devices. Welp hopefully we will get some Windows stuff too then!

Oh right I was very very VERY confused thanks

Dang. I really wanted this to be the replacement for all these devices. Welp hopefully we will get some Windows stuff too then!

It's getting there, but progress is slow. Heck, it sort of feels halted right now. Right now I feel the Xbox could be a great devices for apps, but they're kinda just slacking off in that regard.

I personally hope the BluRay player app goes universal soon, would like to have it directly from the Windows Store instead of some proprietary player.

Oh right I was very very VERY confused thanks

No problem, keep an eye out here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/gamescom

There's a timer that can be useful.

Dunkley

Actually due to it being a double negative, not being able to change name is pro-consumer now. :p

Same as E3, if you watch the GamesCom livestream logged in via Mixer you'll get a downloadable Loot Bag of goodies:

https://twitter.com/WatchMixer/status/899286646583066630

...and here's the Xbox Countdown Timer, for those unsure of the start time:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/gamescom

Any news on what the Mixer goodies will be this time around? I didn't really bother last time since I already had Rare Replay.

Let's stop with the upcoming console wars please.

This. Please. Why the hell are ya'll talking about Sony/Nintendo in a goddamn Xbox thread?

oti

Banned
All I want is Tennis World Tour gameplay. Maybe it'll be part of this stream? Top Spin was a huge XBL game back in the day.

I would not say Sony is good at services. Absolutely not. They are missing a ton of pro-consumer stuff that Microsoft is excelling in.

They have no BC, no ability to change gamertag, no Looking For Group, no steam-like refunds, no Play Anywhere, no ability to change gamertags, and no console cross-platform play. And they're missing multiple subscription options like Games Pass and EA Access.

Microsoft has all of that. I think what they need for a perfect services portfolio is to also make these changes: completely get rid of any release date parity clause, and completely get rid of the 50k minimum disc print rule.

Man just imagine if Microsoft had all that stuff, and the most powerful console, and increased 1st party, and better relationships with indies/third-parties. Shit bro... I'd be in heaven.

Some of the stuff you just listed are decent criticisms (namely no PSN ID changes, BC and refunds) but most of the others are basically "Sony isn't Microsoft," especially Play Anywhere, which is just Microsoft's version of Sony's cross-buy and cross-save initiatives. The reality is, you can make arguments in the opposite direction too (where's Xbox's PS Now, Share-Play, Remote Play, etc). It's all silly and not worth getting into.

Anyway, I'm kinda interested in this but my expectations are set at 0 after E3.

It's getting there, but progress is slow. Heck, it sort of feels halted right now. Right now I feel the Xbox could be a great devices for apps, but they're kinda just slacking off in that regard.

I personally hope the BluRay player app goes universal soon, would like to have it directly from the Windows Store instead of some proprietary player.

Yeah I recently got a 4K TV and noticed that on my PS4 Pro the Amazon Video doesn't support HDR and the YouTube app doesn't support 5.1 audio. Not sure what else is half assed because I gave up and got the Shield. I have read that the Xbox One has excellent apps but their Bluray player app is not as great as something dedicated. I just want one device to rule them all!

Awesome :D

So I did a Google search for Giant Bomb (Talking Over) Gamescom 2017 and found nothing. Checked Twitter...nothing. Does anybody know if they're doing anything this year?

Defect

Some of the stuff you just listed are decent criticisms (namely no PSN ID changes, BC and refunds) but most of the others are basically "Sony isn't Microsoft," especially Play Anywhere, which is just Microsoft's version of Sony's cross-buy and cross-save initiatives. The reality is, you can make arguments in the opposite direction too (where's Xbox's PS Now, Share-Play, Remote Play, etc). It's all silly and not worth getting into.

Anyway, I'm kinda interested in this but my expectations are set at 0 after E3.
Game Pass and Xbox App streaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom