• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox calendar Q4 2015 financial results: MAUs soar 30% to record 48 million

icespide

Banned
The hate is strong here. Good results, glad to see software doing good

image.php

Shenmue

Banned
To be fair, I bet Microsoft paid retailers back for some of those gift card incentives in 2014. So the revenue difference per One sold probably wasn't all that huge. Just enough that slightly higher sales couldn't make up for it.

Yeah but probably split the cost a bit. Like maybe MS would pay Walmart $15 out of the $30 gift card they gave out since Walmart gets some benefit from giving out a gift card as it forces the consumer to come back to the store to use it at a later date.

This year seems like MS ate all the cost themselves as I don't remember seeing all that many (if any) gift card offers in addition to the $299 price.

Conduit

Banned
The only conclusion I can reach is that that 360 unit sales decline must have been larger than the Xbox One unit sales increase, since even at the lower price Xbox One unit sales are more expensive than Xbox 360 unit sales.

But X360 sales can't be so much in decline to cause such a drop in Xbox hardware revenue cuz X360 sales are low WW in past 1.5-2 years anyway. So, Xbone price were almost the same in 2014. and 2015. and probably Xbone sales WW compared to previous quarter are flat or lower.

MageBoySA

I love that the only games they mention for game revenue are Minecraft and Halo 5. I wonder how much of the revenue increase is Minecraft when compared to Halo.

People are shitting MS for using MAU, but look at us: endlessly debating an all but meaningless number that can be spun in either direction depending on where your biases lie.

Clearly its working as intended.

deadman69

Legit Question:
How big of a presence is Windows 10 supposed to have at the Microsoft gaming conference on February 25th...?

I want to hear more about the company's overall Windows 10 strategy as it relates to gaming. By that date, we'll be nearly a full year since Phil's GDC appearance when he discussed cross-buy and cross-play between Xbox One and Windows 10.

they will just be showing off whats coming out in spring as they've shown next to nothing of them. i wouldn't expect any pc announcements.

How is X1 not picking up the slack of 360? 360 had to be selling next to nothing the past year.
The Xbox One isn't even picking up its own slack. In order to sell more in 2015 they had to drop the price, but the resulting increase in sales wasn't even enough to cover that loss, much less the continued decline of 360.

Genio88

Glad to hear that, well deserved for Xbox, i'm also enjoying my Surface pro 4 a lot, what a great all in one device, it's a shame instead that Lumia phones sales are een lower than before, I've got a 950XL and I like it a lot, it would be sad if Microsoft had to shut down the phones division, I think windows 10 mobile has a great potential, and hardware wise Lumia are pretty good too

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So, looks like Xbone sales are down if Xbone didn't pushed sales enough for positive hardware revenue even if X360 sales are low.

They did drop the price. So technically they could have sold more but taken a hit due to the price drop. I get why you'd see it the way you do, but I'm just saying.

Glad to hear that, well deserved for Xbox, i'm also enjoying my Surface pro 4 a lot, what a great all in one device, it's a shame instead that Lumia phones sales are een lower than before, I've got a 950XL and I like it a lot, it would be sad if Microsoft had to shut down the phones division, I think windows 10 mobile has a great potential, and hardware wise Lumia are pretty good too
Lol, that sounds like sales talk! But seriously, I like Lumias too.

But X360 sales can't be so much in decline to cause such a drop in Xbox hardware revenue cuz X360 sales are low WW in past 1.5-2 years anyway. So, Xbone price were almost the same in 2014. and 2015. and probably Xbone sales WW compared to previous quarter are flat or lower.

MS also says Xbox One HW revenues alone are down YOY (i.e. without considering Xbox 360 revenues). They also specifically said Xbox One unit sales were higher but the prices were lower.

I think it's worth noting that they mention Xbox 360 declines are having an impact on hardware revenue as well (which they wouldn't need to do if the higher Xbox One unit sales were making up for the 360 decline).

9 million new MAU?! Isn't this a bit too high? Dies this include W10 then?
It's versus Q4 of 2014, not Q3 of 2015. It does include Live accounts on Windows 10.

Price were almost the same in 2014 and in 2015.
But not the exact same. Again, the report specifically says they sold more units of Xbox One (but for lower revenue). It's pointless to try and figure out the exact numbers, anything anyone says will be total guesswork.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Price were almost the same in 2014 and in 2015.

The bulk of Xbox One sales (especially in the US) come at holiday time. No coincidence that also happens to be when all the biggest discounted deals/bundles happen. So not really.

Combine that with what we can only assume is a sharp decline in the sales of the hugely overpriced 360 and it's easy to see that those two factors caused the drop. The 360 would be selling for a HUGE profit given the absurd price they sell for. So a sharp decline in 360 sales would greatly affect revenue and especially profit.

They really need to get that disc less Apple TV version of the 360 out the door.

Kolx

It's versus Q4 of 2014, not Q3 of 2015. It does include Live accounts on Windows 10.

CZ1of-UWEAA6QgB.jpg:large

According to this graph it's actually 9 million new users from q3 2015 or q1 2016 in MS financial calendar. Win 10 results were delayed to this quarter so it does look like Win10 is the main reason.

yup, I have a few lumia phones as backups and tried the surface pro 3 for a week before sending it back. Ms makes good hardware, problem is there software is too bloated for average consumers IMO. The pen experience was not as reliable or helpful as I was expecting, Windows still has a lot of catching up to do. I think there phones are just too late to the party, so many apps not supported on it, and honestly, I think IOS and Android satisfies most users for choice.

Windows 10 was a great improvement.

Quarter after quarter MS releases results that the market likes and reacts to positively (shares are up 3% after the news) yet you wouldn't know it by reading the gaming side of NeoGAF.

Nothing but negative spin and whining about not getting exact numbers. Let it go people. How long have they been doing this now? And why should they change? Just to provide fodder for angry internet warriors?

Billions of dollars in profit. Oh shit, the end is near!

icespide

Banned
Quarter after quarter MS releases results that the market likes and reacts to positively (shares are up 3% after the news) yet you wouldn't know it by reading the gaming side of NeoGAF.

Nothing but negative spin and whining about not getting exact numbers. Let it go people. How long have they been doing this now? And why should they change? Just to provide fodder for angry internet warriors?

generally on the gaming side of things, posters are more interested in the performance of the gaming side of Microsoft's business. the market cares about the bottom line and growth of Microsoft as a whole.

no one is suggesting that Microsoft is in trouble as a company

jaypah

It was either get shit on for not releasing the numbers or actually release the numbers and have an all out shit show of a fuck fest for Hells holiday. They chose the better route. It would be nice to have numbers as I'm sure a lot of us are interested but...yeah.

Top Bottom