• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 2016 Press Conference: June 13th at 9:30 AM PDT / 12:30 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

daTRUballin

Using an already established IP for a stealth style game like Perfect Dark is basically an adaptable toolkit, you've got all the devices, characters, universe, atmosphere already established, The reason why people keep homing in on Perfect Dark being reborn as a new genre is because it has all these malleable elements that could really just work. MS doesnt need to use a new IP, its why things like Halo Wars sound a bit rough on paper but really work when the developer knows how to utilise all the resources. I think a reworked PD wouldnt be a game that offends its existing fanbase if its of a certain quality and the material is faithful to its predecessors. WoW was such an extreme departure but Warcraft fans loved it, Halo Wars is an extreme depature but Halo fans loved it. Its either risk a mediocre PDZ style game or risk fucking up in something extraordinary, it really depends how ambitious the devs are and I think you'll get a more successful pay-off if your ambition is high and your goals are successful

Theres some of Rare's IP's that I completely understand if they should just refine it and do nothing else. Conker, KI, Banjo, Kameo, Viva Pinata, these games dont need any drastic overhaul, and any attempts to drastically overhaul them are pointless, their formulas are perfect. They got KI right like you said, but I guess theyre still failing to learn with Conker. (As far as I know, Nuts and Bolts was the idea of Gregg Mayles but it still just wasnt necessary, especially after the Banjo 3 teasing)

Perfect Dark and Jet Force Gemini are the two glaring ones that would need a significant revamp for me. For many contextual reasons, mainly how shooters have left a pot hole into the industry over and over without stopping since CoD 4 and beyond. Some might think its blasphemy to change them and as you said, they should just work on a new IP, but what if they really could freshen them up without bastardising the source material? Its pretty easy it to compare it to a revival like DOOM, but for me DOOM still had some insanely fun old-school foundations to work from, whilst Perfect Dark/Goldeneye doesnt in this day and age (even though I love those games) But then again, I could be completely wrong and maybe something like a quicker refined PDZ would strike gold

Battletoads is the one where im really on the fence, personally i'd be fine with Battletoads Arcade redux, but i'd be open to a fresh take as well, for me its a win/win as long as the final result is a good product.

Microsoft needs to be creative, and I know they risked it once with Nuts and Bolts and it landed flat, but its not impossible

Yeah, I agree that if they were to do something different with PD and try to still make it be faithful to the original, then it could work if it's in the right hands. Although I don't think I agree that Goldeneye/Perfect Dark haven't aged well necessarily. I guess there are some things about those games that are dated in this day and age, but I can still play those games today and have fun with them.

I'm curious. Since you say they haven't aged well, what parts of the games exactly did you think haven't aged well? Is it the controls? The level design? The gameplay in general? If they were to revive PD, I think they could still make it be similar to the first game in terms of structure maybe. GE/PD were very different from modern shooters in that they were less linear and the missions were designed around having different objectives based on different difficulty levels. I liked that the missions changed things up and gave you different objectives based on what difficulty you were playing on, whereas with modern shooters playing the games on a higher difficulty merely makes the missions simply harder and doesn't really change anything about the levels themselves. I think GE/PD are still pretty unique shooters even today and I think they could possibly bring back the same type of mission structure and refine it and make it work in today's FPS landscape.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Any predictions on what the "Backward compatibility"-esque announcement will be this year? I've heard some speculation that, due to Xbox leaning into PC, it could be Online Play becoming free or separate from Xbox Live?

While I'm yet to believe that could happen, it would certainly turn some heads.

mike4001_

Any predictions on what the "Backward compatibility"-esque announcement will be this year? I've heard some speculation that, due to Xbox leaning into PC, it could be Online Play becoming free or separate from Xbox Live?

There are rumors that Xbox One games will work directly on PC.

But again these are just rumors and I don´t even know if licensing (publisher approval, same as for 360 games) could be an issue here.

Beside that, "probably" streaming of PC-games to the console, but this is no real Megaton ;-)

3 more days ;-)

I want MS to make a AAA Ori sequel, only in a fully realized 3D world. Make it their Metroid Prime / Zelda clone. It would be beautiful!

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Variety [x]
60 fps [x; on PC]
Motivating campaign [?; but the outlook is good]
Good Track design [?; depends on your priorities I guess]
less offroad [ ]
remarkable landmarks [x]
Good music [x; objectively every player will enjoy at least one radio station]

Oh, forgot the most important thing: Waterfalls. Every arcade racing game needs loads of waterfalls. But thanks for the answer, I was always going to buy the inevitable early access ultimate edition but you give me hope that they return to form with FH3 (which means FH).

willbsn13

In FH3 I'm looking for mainly:

- A larger map in general - it only took about 10 mins in a supercar to get from one side to the other in FH2... was just wayy too small. Good to here there's some variety/diversity in the map though!

- A course creator. Heck I'd even take one simpler than GTA's. Just gimme the ability to put down checkpoints to make either a circuit or a p2p race and I'm set. (With placeable barriers too)

- More customization, like Widebodies/Wheel Off-set adjustment. I really hope they double down on this. I'm not expecting every car to have a vast amount of body options (especially if they're pushing what is most likely 400 cars) but for cars that make sense. Ie. Rocket Bunny for a GT86, Rally Parts for a Lancia etc.

- More inspired career. FH2's felt like a copy paste fest. I hope we get something more akin to FH1's career. Was FAR more enjoyable than FH2's slog at times. Where were all the showcases? (only 5 vs 10 in the first game) Underground Street Racing Hubs? The popularity meter/level thingy? The actual race rivals like Ramona Cravache who trash talked you and you got pink slip them after you eliminated them? I want that back.

- A place to take photos w/friends. The Crew/NFS do a way better job of this. There was no way to take a photomode shot online in FH2 (IIRC). Car Meets would have been the perfect place to do this but we never saw that feature materialize.

Theres also a bunch of other things that I can't think of right now. I absolutely loved FH2/FH1, but there is definitely room for improvement.

ekim

In FH3 I'm looking for mainly:

- A larger map in general - it only took about 10 mins in a supercar to get from one side to the other in FH2... was just wayy too small. Good to here there's some variety/diversity in the map though!

- A course creator. Heck I'd even take one simpler than GTA's. Just gimme the ability to put down checkpoints to make either a circuit or a p2p race and I'm set. (With placeable barriers too)

- More customization, like Widebodies/Wheel Off-set adjustment. I really hope they double down on this. I'm not expecting every car to have a vast amount of body options (especially if they're pushing what is most likely 400 cars) but for cars that make sense. Ie. Rocket Bunny for a GT86, Rally Parts for a Lancia etc.

- More inspired career. FH2's felt like a copy paste fest. I hope we get something more akin to FH1's career. Was FAR more enjoyable than FH2's slog at times. Where were all the showcases? (only 5 vs 10 in the first game) Underground Street Racing Hubs? The popularity meter/level thingy? The actual race rivals like Ramona Cravache who trash talked you and you got pink slip them after you eliminated them? I want that back.

- A place to take photos w/friends. The Crew/NFS do a way better job of this. There was no way to take a photomode shot online in FH2 (IIRC). Car Meets would have been the perfect place to do this but we never saw that feature materialize.

Theres also a bunch of other things that I can't think of right now. I absolutely loved FH2/FH1, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Look forward to Monday. :)

x2yO1RS.jpg

This train... this train needs passengers.

Gotta get me on there man!

pitchfork

Should I be getting hyped for a new Age of Empires?

Heard a few little whispers that its in the works last week but nothing since

Would love this to be true!

wapplew

Bet on it, free multiplayer is coming.

willbsn13

I think I can safely say it's the largest Horizon map yet. As for your other wishes, you will have to wait. :)

YES! And yeah I don't expect them to hit off everything or even just some of my list since it's so personalized to me, but a larger map is something that just needed to happen for FH3.

I think Horizon 2's physics and input polling run at 360Hz, same as Motorsport. Could be wrong.

I'm a big 60fps guy too, but H2 was still very playable. I will be going PC this time though in all it's glory!

ekim

I think Horizon 2's physics and input polling run at 360Hz, same as Motorsport. Could be wrong.

I'm a big 60fps guy too, but H2 was still very playable. I will be going PC this time though in all it's glory!

I will play it on both PC and Xbox One, depending on which machine isn't occupied.
Crosssave was awesome for QB. :)

Alx

Nuts and Bolts was amazing and probably a little ahead of its time.
I suspect that it would have been better off not as a BK game

I agree N&B is incredibly unique and creative. I don't know if it would have been better without a known IP attached though, most people would have probably dismissed it as "a weird vehicle building game" or just ignored it altogether. Which is a shame.
"Maybe" it could have pulled a Minecraft and make a name for itself, but I doubt it, seeing how a game like Project Spark failed to find an audience (granted, the need for creativity was even higher in that one).

Chris1

Well Ekim never denied it :p

I don't think it'd happen but it's gonna be a huge slap in the face to console owners when console is paying and PC isn't, on the same games, servers, even matchmaking servers, etc. They're gonna have to toss a bone to console people somehow I think.

Strootman

I just want to reiterate my hype for FH3.... this is going to be soooo good.
What did you guys miss in FH2 that you hope for in FH3? :)
So have you seen the game in Action? Are the graphics improved substantially from FH2? Is there going to be more car customization? How big are the cities? Is there going to be a classic rock radio station?

Perfect Dark should be similar to Deus Ex HR. It should be a game that gives you wide open levels to provide a variety of ways for you to complete your missions.

wapplew

This MS let you upgrade Windows for free, they'll do anything to get you into their Eco system, free multiplayer will be there.
Gold sub will turn into MS access, one sub give you game vault on PC and Xbox, just like EA access.

JaggedSac

Variety [x]
60 fps [x; on PC]
Motivating campaign [?; but the outlook is good]
Good Track design [?; depends on your priorities I guess]
less offroad [ ]
remarkable landmarks [x]
Good music [x; objectively every player will enjoy at least one radio station]

There is a certain way, yes.

So happy you did not put an X by less offroad, lol.

Vico

What's that hype train supposed to be?
The escape pod for people who want to bail before it starts? :p

Anyway, put me in, please!

gaming_noob

That would be a good strategy to convince some PS4 gamers to buy an Xbox. I know a lot of people want a second console but don't want to pay another sub fee. It's one of the major barriers that MS needs to look into....but they're MS.

jelly

Well Ekim never denied it :p

I don't think it'd happen but it's gonna be a huge slap in the face to console owners when console is paying and PC isn't, on the same games, servers, even matchmaking servers, etc. They're gonna have to toss a bone to console people somehow I think.

Games with gold. Really, they don't have to do anything, people will still pay but it would be an amazing mic drop for the Xbox console and throw a spanner in the PlayStation works. That would get users to jump to Xbox. Subscription is easy money but the bigger picture is the ecosystem, what do Microsoft value more long term? They are desperate for Windows 10 and store to be successful.

Zedox

Games with gold. Really, they don't have to do anything, people will still pay but it would be an amazing mic drop for the Xbox console and throw a spanner in the PlayStation works. That would get users to jump to Xbox. Subscription is easy money but the bigger picture is the ecosystem, what do Microsoft value more long term? They are desperate for Windows 10 and store to be successful.

I think dropping multiplayer and having just GWG and DWG (and maybe throw in 1 AAA title of their choosing from MS IP) would do well. MS is definitely trying to get the Windows 10 store successful on the gaming side, that's one way to do it.

Somnia

With Neo now confirmed and not being at E3, I think that means there's a very good chance of no Scorpio stuff mentioned at E3 at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom