• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Extreme Shopping Sale Week Promotion

Meier

Diablohead said:
you get credited the savings in a month, paying full price now.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.. apparently I should get a 100 point bonus for buying something as well but who knows.

Looks like these larger DLC/Arcade sales will continue, which can only be a good thing for older titles that have dried up sales wise, gives a boost to online side of things also.

Lothars

This is an expensive day for points

I bought Mass Effect Arrival

Raskulls
World of Keflings
Unbound Saga
Costume Quest

and I am tempted to pick up Quake 3 Arena, is there much of a community for it on XBLA?

Nelo Ice

Banned
well this was unexpected was going get raskulls and world of keflings anyway but glad to see theres even more sales

Trunchisholm said:
Is Darwinia+ worth getting? The reviews for that are quite good, but I've watched a few videos and still don't know what the heck the game is all about.
Yes, definitely yes. D/L the trial and play it.

I notice that MS has gotten quite a bit more aggressive with sales this year. Probably due to some low sales for games that deserved better, but got saddled with not-so competitive pricing and PSN+ offering some nice sales here and there, I'd think.

Unbound Saga and Worms 2 Armageddon get.

Was also going to get A World of Keflings, but I can't purchase it, only download the trial. What's up with that? I'm in Sweden.
Gonna try from xbox.com.

Ok that worked.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Why does Microsoft do great sales on weeks where great Arcade games are ALSO releasing? And man do they like piling up on backlogs...

I wish R-Type Dimensions would go on sale by itself already... and Raystorm! But a pretty nice setup here. Raskulls and Unbound Saga (wow, 160?!?!) are locks, Darwinia is a possibility...

Already planning to get 2 out of 3 of the new releases this week, and with the knowledge that April also has quite a few XBLA titles I want (Moon Diver, M&M: Clash of Heroes, Dishwasher 2: Vamp Smile, and probably others like Dungeon Defenders)... XBLA really has become almost a second console onto itself!

WaltJay

Is Unbound Saga at least as good as Streets of Rage or Final Fight through the lenses of today's standards? I'm not expecting much for $2, but if it's at least a solid button masher, I'd be satisified.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Fuck me, Red Dead Redemption Zombie Pack with all add-ons is 1000 points.

It's getting harder and harder to wait for the PC version! :D

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's GAFs opinion on Raskulls? Tried the demo and thought it was fun, I'm wondering if it has longevity, and robust local multiplayer options with lots of levels.

Also, hope Shadow Complex goes on sale. Missed the last one.

I play Crazy Taxi all the time, having it on your HDD is just brilliant. 400 points is a steal, if you are willing to put in a little time to learn the Crazy Techniques and become good at the game. There's so much great content for that price, I hope more people jump in.

I think I'm going to pick up the Mirror's Edge DLC, finally.

Mass Effect 2's DLC will use up the rest of my points right now. Or I'd probably pick up some thing like that Unboun Saga, if it's only 160 points... why not?

Tempted by:
Afterburner
Crazy Taxi (never played this)
Worms 2 + Expansion

but I'm gonna wait to see what they have on Friday.

any Gyromancer impressions? I remember being really excited for it in previews, but then I never heard about it again. Looks like it got panned, generally.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Smision said:
Tempted by:
Afterburner
Crazy Taxi (never played this)
Worms 2 + Expansion

but I'm gonna wait to see what they have on Friday.

any Gyromancer impressions? I remember being really excited for it in previews, but then I never heard about it again. Looks like it got panned, generally.

This is what keeps me hesitating. I have an extra 670 in my account I could use to get Costume Quest, but Friday makes me go hmmm..

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If any of you have a passing interest in Tower Defense. Pick up Defense Grid. It is really really good.

After Burner Climax is pure arcade action and worth it for $5 imo. You will probably play it too.

wow, Gyromancer impressions around the web make the game sound completely terrible.

incredible how nobody can seem to replicate the magic of Puzzle Quest 1 (including the guys who made it.)

Bread

Banned
Any thoughts on the Halo Wars DLC? I've been looking for a reason to play that game more, and this would certainly help.

Larsen B

I thought Gyromancer was interesting.

A really neat take on Bejeweled Blitz (and I'd say better match-3 gameplay than Puzzle Quest) but it can take a long time to finish each stage, especially if you're trying to 100% it, and the story is worthless.

400 points is a good price considering I bought it at full price and still liked it.

WaltJay said:
Is Unbound Saga at least as good as Streets of Rage or Final Fight through the lenses of today's standards? I'm not expecting much for $2, but if it's at least a solid button masher, I'd be satisified.
ROFL
Hell No.
Unbound Saga is a piece of shit.

At least there are a couple avatar awards. My dude now has his own stack of comics.

krpiper

I remember during Black Friday they had GTA:SA and something else real cheap.

Well I think I'm in for Worms 2 and Battle Pack, but what is in the battle pack? I plan on playing mostly single player/hot seat. So is it worth it?

WaltJay

PepsimanVsJoe said:
ROFL
Hell No.
Unbound Saga is a piece of shit.

At least there are a couple avatar awards. My dude now has his own stack of comics.

It doesn't even get "walk to the right and punch/kick people" right? How do you mess that up? Yikes.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'm getting Raskulls and possibly Gyromancer. I'm tempted to try Faery: Legends of Avalon as well but I don't know much about it other than it's an RPG.

Friday's deals.

4XISg.png

Nelo Ice

Banned
bleh friday sale sucks

guess i'll stick with world of keflings/raskulls while i think about getting afterburner and or crazy taxi

edit:actually may consider deadliest warrior

Great price on Comic Jumper, I'm glad I didn't buy it earlier now. I was really tempted. Problem: With my earlier purchases I now only have 390 points left in my wallet.

Blast.

firehawk12 said:
Anyone have any opinions on Zeit2 as a sidescrolling shooter?
I picked it up when it hit a while back just based on the demo. I love the time-bending mechanic as it's applied to shmup levels with fixed enemy patterns and positions. It's kinda like R-Type meets Braid. Very fun, IMO.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
Great price on Comic Jumper, I'm glad I didn't buy it earlier now. I was really tempted. Problem: With my earlier purchases I now only have 390 points left in my wallet.

Blast.

comic jumpers ok its only worth it if u want the avatar awards imo

i won it and i had to force myself to beat it just so i could unlock captain smileys head for my avatar

Get Deadliest Warrior. Worth it just for the hilarious spear instakills. And me not being a big fighting game guy I appreciated the slower, more defensively oriented pace.

drizzle said:
You should see it for yourself: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-unbound-saga/17-1079/ - it's from the PSP version, but it's the same game on XBLA, afaik.

Edit: or download the XBLA demo, I guess... :D
The XBLA version looks more like a comic book, features a bit more flavorful speech bubble writing, doesn't move as sluggishly and the levels are called issues.

For what it's worth I feel like I'm getting my 160p's worth out of it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
MightyHedgehog said:
I picked it up when it hit a while back just based on the demo. I love the time-bending mechanic as it's applied to shmup levels with fixed enemy patterns and positions. It's kinda like R-Type meets Braid. Very fun, IMO.
Cheers.

And that yay for the New Vegas DLC!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
My opinions playing Unbound Saga same-system Co-Op:

I really like the voicework, personally. It's well-acted for comic book style stupidity, doesn't take itself seriously at all, and it's just fun.

The controls are extra stuff, and yeah, this leans to the "bad" side. They're obviously trying to mimic the feel of old 2D games, but they're doing that with fluid 3D models. This makes the control feel unrefined. Beating the campaign, I still never felt like the more complex combos were as fluid as I'd WISH them to be, but I had fun fighting due to the janky looseness. Full of stupid floaty Ragdoll enemy deaths and all!

Each character has their own unique skills. They're all worth using, and they actually make the game fairly different as you go on. You start with basic combos like you'd have in Final Fight, but by the end, you're closer to the depth of a SOR, mixed with odd bonuses you don't see commonly in beat-em-ups (such as instant kills, invisibility, life-braining throws, and the ability to spawn weapons on command)

The environs are old-school varied. From Cities, to Jungles, to techno-bases, it's all pretty much there.

The enemies are varied in looks, but not so much in tactics. I never got that "oh no, it's THAT GUY!" kinda feel you get in the best b-e-u's, were certain enemey types bring intimidation and annoyance.

In the end, it's a fun little love-letter to Comix Zone, and leaves me with more smiles than frowns, at this price. I appreciate that it has a survival mode, and I like a good amount of the comic art (some much more than others). Would compare it to one of those "other" beat 'em ups NOT made by Konami or Capcom, that never stand a chance aganist the big guns... but still leave you happy with a few moments you experienced along the way. Smashing the bad guys under low-gravity conditions is always fun! :lol:

MightyHedgehog said:

damn! i'll try out the demo and buy it if this plays out well

Is there anything good for 200MS points right now?

The 5% back from Costume Quest is going to leave me with a really irritating amount of MS Points.

Top Bottom