• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass - Includes over 100 Games at Launch, 14 Day Trial (Live Now)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I find TV shows better than ever thanks to investments made by Netflix, Amazon and so on. Your comment about DLC and Forza Horizon 3 don't make much sense either. The game itself was good and the DLC made it even better. You're trying way too hard to now make it seem like any DLC from here on out will be needed more than ever to compensate for the low entry fee of the subscription. The service is going to live or die based on the content it provides and a free to play model you are implying wouldn't take too long for consumers to stop subscribing.

It's funny how some act like once they commit to something there is no turning back.

Anecdotal evidence and all that but... I played Super Lucky's Tale on Game Pass. The game was great and I had a lot of fun with it - got 100% on all the levels. And then it just kinda... ends. You're going about your business and suddenly, more or less unannounced, "here's the final boss". Beat him, credits roll, cool.

But then the game reveals "there is a whole extra chapter, that can be purchased separately to continue the story. Please buy this expansion pack for $5." In addition to having another hub world (the base game only has 4 so I can only assume it's 25% more of the game) and new levels (reading online it's another 7-8 levels) it also features new achievements that can only be unlocked by purchasing the DLC. $5 isn't a lot of money, and based on the scope of the DLC and the time I spent with the first part of the game I would have easily gotten a few more hours out of it and been able to "complete" the game. I couldn't bring myself to do it though. Sure, the base game was fun and I had a good time with it - and a normal sane person would absolutely rationalize their purchase decision against the fact that the base game was "free" and pay for the DLC to continue the story and keep playing. Personally I couldn't justify purchasing DLC for a game I didn't "own".

So the first game I play on the service confirms some of the fears I had about it personally. Did it take away from the fun I had playing the base game? Not really, but somewhat. Everyone's experience will be different based on how they look at these types of value propositions. I don't think it's crazy to observe that this seems to be the way the industry is trending and I have fears that it will continue until the point where Game Pass becomes something like a glorified delivery mechanism for service-based games.

CRAIG667

just used my free trial to try out sea of thieves. what other games are there worth checking out during my trial period?

Gears of War 4 (1-3 too)
Halo Wars 2
ROTR
Halo 5
Mad Max
Recore
State Of Decay
Rime
Bayonetta
Defense Grid 1+2
Fable 1-3
Metro Last Light Redux
SunSet Overdrive

Loads of others too but they're all great games.

manfestival

Gears of War 4 (1-3 too)
Halo Wars 2
ROTR
Halo 5
Mad Max
Recore
State Of Decay
Rime
Bayonetta
Defense Grid 1+2
Fable 1-3
Metro Last Light Redux
SunSet Overdrive

Loads of others too but they're all great games.
forgot to mention that I am playing on PC and not on xbox :( my bad

all I see is the free sea of thieves for the most part

VAL0R

Banned
Anecdotal evidence and all that but... I played Super Lucky's Tale on Game Pass. The game was great and I had a lot of fun with it - got 100% on all the levels. And then it just kinda... ends. You're going about your business and suddenly, more or less unannounced, "here's the final boss". Beat him, credits roll, cool.

But then the game reveals "there is a whole extra chapter, that can be purchased separately to continue the story. Please buy this expansion pack for $5." In addition to having another hub world (the base game only has 4 so I can only assume it's 25% more of the game) and new levels (reading online it's another 7-8 levels) it also features new achievements that can only be unlocked by purchasing the DLC. $5 isn't a lot of money, and based on the scope of the DLC and the time I spent with the first part of the game I would have easily gotten a few more hours out of it and been able to "complete" the game. I couldn't bring myself to do it though. Sure, the base game was fun and I had a good time with it - and a normal sane person would absolutely rationalize their purchase decision against the fact that the base game was "free" and pay for the DLC to continue the story and keep playing. Personally I couldn't justify purchasing DLC for a game I didn't "own".

So the first game I play on the service confirms some of the fears I had about it personally. Did it take away from the fun I had playing the base game? Not really, but somewhat. Everyone's experience will be different based on how they look at these types of value propositions. I don't think it's crazy to observe that this seems to be the way the industry is trending and I have fears that it will continue until the point where Game Pass becomes something like a glorified delivery mechanism for service-based games.

My 4 year old somehow purchased Lucky's Tale DLC when I wasn't home. I have purchases password protected too. So you may have denied Lucky, but Lucky always gets his in the end, one way or another.

VAL0R

Banned
Gears of War 4 (1-3 too)
Halo Wars 2
ROTR
Halo 5
Mad Max
Recore
State Of Decay
Rime
Bayonetta
Defense Grid 1+2
Fable 1-3
Metro Last Light Redux
SunSet Overdrive

ROTR?

Update: O, Rise of the Tomb Raider

Last edited:

hiphopcr

999999-88537098230_1.jpg

Mental

I have a 30 day free trial of game pass to giveaway, but only ask for it if you haven't used game pass before because when I tried to enter the code it said for new members only.

To me it just sounds like an easy scapegoat argument that Game Pass is somehow going to be blamed for something the industry has already been doing for years and now you're going to just use Game Pass as an accelerent. I thought all games had to include 100% reachable Achievements and extra DLC meant just extra Achievements that could be earned on top of the 100%? If that's not the case then that's a whole different issue and one I don't agree with. Kind of like something Destiny 2 tried to pull off.

Alx

Isn't Robocraft Infinity free to play anyway ? I really liked the beta by the way, it's like Banjo Nuts&Bolts with a focus on deathmatch. :)

Last edited:

Vert boil

Robocraft Infinity is now available. Win 10 version is delayed.

Next Monday, April 16th, they'll be adding Bomberman Live Battlefest.

still haven't used my 14 day free pass. ill wait til state of decay 2 comes out finish it and then ill check out sea of thieves if anyone is still playing it.

Golmo

Neo Member
Is it actually like Netflix, so that some games also leave the program after a certain time?
can I still play them if I have downloaded them before?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is it actually like Netflix, so that some games also leave the program after a certain time?
can I still play them if I have downloaded them before?

Yes, certain games will leave the program from time to time. Although I believe (for the past few months at least) they've added more games than they've lost so the collection is at least growing.

If you've downloaded the game via game pass but it leaves the service, it'll still be installed on your hard drive. However, if you don't have another valid digital license (ie have purchased the game, activated a code, etc) then you'll be presented with an option to purchase the game in order to play it.

TaroYamada

Blu-Ray co-exists with Netflix and co. I don't see why singular copies of games would disappear in the face of subscription services. I see physical game copies struggling going forward but that started before Game Pass showed up.

JCK75

I do believe once we are a little closer to the release of State of Decay 2 this is going to be a no brainer for me to sign up

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Have there been any hints as to whether or not Deep Rock Galactic will be on Game Pass? If it won't then I'm tempted to get it on Steam.

Pantz

This is going to sound like an ad, but it's just a tip!

I get Game Pass Free via Microsoft rewards. Like, you earn points by taking quizzes and searching on Bing. Save up enough points and you can redeem a reward. One of the reward choices is a 1 month code for Game Pass. It takes me only a few minutes a day to max my points for the day and I can easily save up enough for that game pass code within a month. Not sure if I can get enough for two in one month but definitely one and some left over towards the next.

Vert boil

Some of the games coming in June have been announced,

Disneyland Adventures (XPA)
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
MotoGP 17
Next Up Hero
The Technomancer
Wasteland 2 (Win 10 version isn't XPA)

hiphopcr

Ah well, still the best deal in gaming. Seriously, if Sony had something like this I would consider that platform.

VAL0R

Banned
I think we'll get a Game Pass announcement at E3, so I'm still holding out hope that June will be a good month. Also, SoD2 just came out and SoT DLC arrives early next week.

Calibos

Some of the games coming in June have been announced,

Disneyland Adventures (XPA)
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
MotoGP 17
Next Up Hero
The Technomancer
Wasteland 2 (Win 10 version isn't XPA)

I remember wanting to try out Technomancer so that is a good one for $10 this month. Also, with E3 in 2 weeks, I bet there will be an announcement surrounding Gamepass there.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Proof that MS isn't really trying to make this service worth my time, is the inexplicable absence of Forza games. How they think it's ok that what is now their best IP be left off this service is baffling. It can only be because it still sells decently, which is both worrying and asinine at the same time.

hiphopcr

Proof that MS isn't really trying to make this service worth my time, is the inexplicable absence of Forza games. How they think it's ok that what is now their best IP be left off this service is baffling. It can only be because it still sells decently, which is both worrying and asinine at the same time.
This is true... still waiting for FH3 to show up... and Quantum Break... and Rare Replay !

octiny

Banned

Read below. You'll see FH4 on it.

This is true... still waiting for FH3 to show up... and Quantum Break... and Rare Replay !

I'm almost positive it's for exclusives going forward from the announcement (regarding exclusives). Not any previous.

Last edited:

Dimorphic

The simple fact that SoD2 released day and date on GamePass has MORE justified my $10 a month for the year considering I’ve played and completed Mad Max, Darksiders 2, Halo Wars 2 and ReCore already.

It’s a great service that will only improve with time.

Last edited:
Knights of the Old Republic is on game pass. It isn't listed on majornelson.com so it might be a bug? Either way it's there and playable.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
New games coming in July,

Abzu
Bomber Crew (Coming July 10th)
Dirt 4
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (360 BC)
Fallout 3 (360 BC)
Human Fall Flat
Shadow Complex Remastered
Warhammer: Vermintide 2 (Coming July 11th)
Zombie Army Trilogy

and Next Up Hero will be released tomorrow.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/06/27/xbox-game-pass-july-2018/
So ready for Vermintitde 2. Is that going to be on gamepass day of release? I think that is kind of a big deal.

Last edited:
I've been wanting to try out Zombie Army Trilogy to see if it is worth a purchase so I am excited to give it a try on Game Pass while I'm on my $1 month. This is the second time I have gotten the $1 for a month offer and will buy that month and immediately cancel auto renew. Being able to try out some new games for "free" every couple of months is great if they keep pushing the $1 months!

Top Bottom