• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Activity for week of December 5, 2011

Kusagari

Wonder why Gears 3 is so relatively unpopular.

Must be all those folks that got burned by Gears 2's shitty MP.

I liked it then the Sawed Off pissed me off too much and I went over to CoD/BF. This basically sums up what happened to everyone I know.

charsace

Gears numbers are generally low when playing online. I think that as balanced of a game that it may be, it's boring.

So much more boring than CoD or Battlefield by a longshot.

I think Gears is more exciting than the other 2 because most of the battles are close quarters and there's more depth to the melee. The learning curb is what keeps people away from deathmatch. Knowing how to use cover against AI vs another person is two completely different things. Multi requires smart movement and knowledge of blind firing the gnasher or how to avoid damage if you're using the sawed off to really have any success. Plus its really difficult for one guy to win the game for his team in Gears.

Lingitiz

Gears 3 has good numbers. About 40k or so on versus and another 30k on campaign coop (which is surprising). I wouldn't worry about its online life, Gears 2 was awful and yet it stayed around spots 8-15 until 3 came out, and Epic does a good job with double XP weekends and whatnot.

JB1981

I think Gears is more exciting than the other 2 because most of the battles are close quarters and there's more depth to the melee. The

learning curb

is what keeps people away from deathmatch. Knowing how to use cover against AI vs another person is two completely different things. Multi requires smart movement and knowledge of blind firing the gnasher or how to avoid damage if you're using the sawed off to really have any success. Plus its really difficult for one guy to win the game for his team in Gears.

Is this a meme? You have said curb twice now.

Lingitiz

Just checked the campaign coop numbers for Gears 3 and its about 50k. Really surprising numbers right there, especially before primetime hours.

I liked it then the Sawed Off pissed me off too much and I went over to CoD/BF. This basically sums up what happened to everyone I know.

Yep, this.

Gears is (or was) very focused on versus MP, and the Gears series learning curve WAS steep but not anymore, with the Sawed Off and the OP (for Gears standards) rifles and the warzone rules (that is, you can kill anyone from afar with your rifle) present in almost every mode. Players are too nimble so the gameplay changed a lot more than most people think.

As bad as Gears 2 was, it managed to keep people interested for much longer than Gears 3 (I know because both mine and my gf's friend list is very Gears oriented). Competition is much tougher now, there's a lot more variety while the maps in Gears are few and mostly shitty and the typical Gears Bullshit (TM) is still there.

I say this as a level 95 player btw :/

As Lingitiz says, there's a shit ton more players playing the campaign (there's a bump right now because of the MI: Ghost Protocol skin and because the campaign on insane is just fucking broken) than there are on versus MP, which tops at around 15k.

Maralist

Neo Member
I'm still amazed of how resilient Call of Duty 4 is, releasing more than four years ago. That's a lifetime on consoles. I guess it's safe to assume whenever the next Call of Duty comes out, that Modern Warfare 2 will knock it off the list.

Striker

GTA4 is crazy. Can't believe it's still in top 10. GTA5 will sell million billions.
All GTA games will. I thought IV was a big disappointment so I am hesitant on the fifth one next year. They need to get away from the "srs bizness" stuff.

Loving Saints Row: The Third. I think with the new additions a MP mode would work pretty well. Shooting in Saints is improved over previous iterations and far above what GTA does. I think they can get something to work well if they put good modes in and get a decent enough server (THQ's work with WWE 12's online hasn't been exactly inspiring).

Hopefully halo 4 gets back to what made halo fun in the first place. I really love the series but i didn't enjoy reach much and it is definitely my least played game in the series by a country mile.

PJX

With Gears 3, I think more people are playing offline with bots than online because of Serious 3.0

Striker

Hopefully halo 4 gets back to what made halo fun in the first place. I really love the series but i didn't enjoy reach much and it is definitely my least played game in the series by a country mile.
It's all subjective because each person is going to want something different. But really, my hope for the game is setting out 11 or 12 quality MP maps. They need to dish out some really good ones, either new, remade, or inspirational ones. You look back in Halo 3 and Reach, the quality is so damn low compared to what 2 released in their launch. Set the tone, make it stand out.

monome

Less maps in Halo 4.

I'm bored with meaningless variations. MP should be like a street with bars : small, diverse, different and with lots of people gathering outside building anticipation.

Today's offerings feel like a mall : infinite choice but in fact only small variations. Too much room which makes it feel unpopulated.

Top Bottom