• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The April 2011 Thread

wwm0nkey

toythatkills said:
I thought it looked pretty cool, actually. Makes the world feel more real, in moderation, than it does with just normal cubes.
Agreed I kind of like it, staring a squares does start to drain you after a bit :lol

Kafel said:
I'm downloading the trial, 65 MB.

Is there "a point" with this Chapter 1 ?

No, it's creative mode, hence the subtitle "Creation".

There are hidden relics to find that allow you to do some extra stuff though. Off the top of my head the only ones I know are the ray gun (can zap away further blocks) and the dynamite fuse, which you need before you can make TNT. Pretty sure there's others though.

Theres no actual crafting (you have infinite of everything, free build) or enemies (other than griefers probably if you set it to let anyone join and edit your world).

Kafel

Banned
Thanks, it seems there's at least something to do to keep you interested. Not just free roaming.

I'll try all that later today.

Timan

Developer
Getting an error saying I need an update in order to play, and to relaunch the game to get it. Yet I get the same thing when I relaunch.

Timan said:
Getting an error saying I need an update in order to play, and to relaunch the game to get it. Yet I get the same thing when I relaunch.

Just in Fortress Craft? Try another Indie Game, that sounds similar to the error that broke all Indie Games during the Kinect/dashboard redesign beta.

I decided to give Bonded Realities a go, and I really like it so far! Played for like an hour and a half. It's pretty good, especially for only being a buck.

Kafel said:
why am I not surprised ?
Bit more time in peer review (or if he'd put it into play-test) would absolutely have picked that up as well! Gotta wonder what his beta testers actually spend their time doing. How do you miss that your entire game gets wiped?

OnPoint

SmallCaveGames said:
Did anyone ever figure out how this blasted through review?

Also, I think more people need to buy Oozi.

You know, I agree. It was short and easy, a little basic, but a great time.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
OnPoint said:
You know, I agree. It was short and easy, a little basic, but a great time.

I can admit that their platformer is better than our platformer but it's not selling nearly as well. The XBLIG marketplace is incredibly unpredictible.

OnPoint

Spent the better part of the last hour with Fortresscraft. My experience in a word: boring.

It's basically Minecraft in creative mode (no damage) with no enemies or damage. I haven't found or unlocked any relics yet. The landscape is almost always generated the same so there's no visual variety in structure. Exploring underground netted me zero caves. I also have not found any water. I'm doubting it's in this game.

If you never played Minecraft but were interested, then sure, maybe the building would grab your attention as a stop-gag.

Also, the game has weird glitches. If you place a block where you're standing the screen freaks out for a few seconds, then bumps you up to the top of it. The lighting from the torches usually has to catch up with my walking (how else am I going to mark my path clearly), which was really inconvenient when trying to travel quickly. Also, the world generation often requires you to wait at the edge of a chunk while the next one generates.

It looks like it was a lot to program. And I respect how much work was put in to it. But I don't think it was ready to be released.

OnPoint said:
But I don't think it was ready to be released.
I imagine CraftWorld forced their hand, somewhat. I don't really like the chapter structure of it. If I buy this, I'm going to have to then buy the same thing again to get new features. Why isn't it just being updated in to the version people have already paid for?

Notebook Adventures just came out, looks nice

OnPoint

toythatkills said:
I imagine CraftWorld forced their hand, somewhat. I don't really like the chapter structure of it. If I buy this, I'm going to have to then buy the same thing again to get new features. Why isn't it just being updated in to the version people have already paid for?

Notebook Adventures just came out, looks nice

I guess the thought is that a dollar isn't really that much? I sort of agree that people who buy it should have the option to upgrade, but I guess we'll see how this plays out.

Kafel

Banned
FortressCraft is a mess.

Slowdowns, graphical bugs and moreover it's a boring game. Will buy only the last chapter if it's anything else than a beta.

N.A

Banned
I quite like FortessCraft.

It lacks polish (like 99% of indie games do) but the actual building works surprisingly well on a controller. It doesn't look too bad either (aside from the graphical bugs and tearing).

I lost well over an hour this morning building and looking for relics and I can't complain for something that costs only ~15-20% of what Minecraft costs.

OnPoint said:
I guess the thought is that a dollar isn't really that much? I sort of agree that people who buy it should have the option to upgrade, but I guess we'll see how this plays out.
It's three dollars (per chapter)
Ranger X said:
I am not surprised by this Fortress Craft fiasco, it goes hand in hand with the shitty attitude of the dev.
That wasn't the dev, it was his PR.

Gowans

Yeah FC needs some work but it's fun enough for the price. Multi with people when there mics are on has been a laugh. Wouldnt mind some relics to make things easier tho.

Hopefully the updates come regulaly.

Anyone think that just perhaps Fortress Crafts rating is just maybe a little bit not legit? 500+ reviews with 4 and a half quite nearly within release time?

Ranger X

MTMBStudios said:
Anyone think that just perhaps Fortress Crafts rating is just maybe a little bit not legit? 500+ reviews with 4 and a half quite nearly within release time?

The whole thing stinks from the beginning, it's quite evident.

wwm0nkey

toythatkills said:
Bit more time in peer review (or if he'd put it into play-test) would absolutely have picked that up as well! Gotta wonder what his beta testers actually spend their time doing. How do you miss that your entire game gets wiped?
Told you, most of the "testers" where to busy sucking his dick to actually correctly test things. He should have gotten way better testers.

OnPoint said:
HA! I thought it was a dollar.

Yeah. Not worth three.

It's over 50MB already, without even being the "complete" chapter 1 yet. So $1 wouldn't be an option, especially once the theoretical gameplay of future chapters is bolted on.

In the state it's in right now, wouldn't recommend at any price. Maybe in a few weeks when there's not bugs that erase your entire game...

OnPoint

HadesGigas said:
It's over 50MB already, without even being the "complete" chapter 1 yet. So $1 wouldn't be an option, especially once the theoretical gameplay of future chapters is bolted on.

In the state it's in right now, wouldn't recommend at any price. Maybe in a few weeks when there's not bugs that erase your entire game...

I wasn't suggesting the developer could charge a dollar. If I knew the file size offhand I wouldn't have thought it.

:lol

visualise the smiley

Is it good, though? Was it worth it? Is the game awesome with a dance mat?

And have you had time to try it with Sequence as well?

Feep

Banned
toythatkills said:
:lol

visualise the smiley

Is it good, though? Was it worth it? Is the game awesome with a dance mat?

And have you had time to try it with Sequence as well?
I actually don't need to; I have a NeoGAF script that turns all :lol into the old smiley :D

I'm about to try it out now. I'll let you know = D

Feep

Banned
Conclusions:

1) I am exhausted.
2) The game becomes harder with the dance mat. Even I can't beat the hardest difficulty with this thing, but then again, I'm a little out of shape, here.
3) You can grip the controller with one hand, as you can hit all essential functions with only one side of the controller, while dancing. This makes it a lot more natural.
4) It really is a lot of fun, especially for old DDR fans. My High School Musical 3 pad (YEAHHHHHHHH) is really cheap, so it's a little harder than it should be, but I can see a lot of people enjoying the feature.

Edit: Just added guitar + dance mat support, LOLOLOLOL this is ridiculous

Feep said:
Everyone, may I present to you:

The Things I Do For Sequence

On April 8th, 2011, I needed a dance pad.

And by God, I fucking got one.
"Oh this box has a rip in it, let me give you another one!"

Bull fucking shit.

No camera and he would have given you the gutted/used copy with a little kid's sock still attached to the dance pad by a PB&J adhesive and charged full price.

Feep

Banned
Dark Octave said:

Bull fucking shit.

No camera and he would have given you the gutted/used copy with a little kid's sock still attached to the dance pad by a PB&J adhesive and charged full price.
u mad

Edit: I think we all learned a valuable Gamestop shopping tip. Film them doing everything.

Dark Octave said:

Bull fucking shit.

Actually I think he was just going along with the skit. When you're giving someone a turd, you wanna make sure it's well polished.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Kotaku list updated:

Aardbloxx
College Lacrosse 2011
Flotilla
Infinity Danger
Lil Demons Splatter
Mute Crimson
TriLinea ReAct
ZP2KX

Feep said:
Conclusions:

1) I am exhausted.
2) The game becomes harder with the dance mat. Even I can't beat the hardest difficulty with this thing, but then again, I'm a little out of shape, here.
3) You can grip the controller with one hand, as you can hit all essential functions with only one side of the controller, while dancing. This makes it a lot more natural.
4) It really is a lot of fun, especially for old DDR fans. My High School Musical 3 pad (YEAHHHHHHHH) is really cheap, so it's a little harder than it should be, but I can see a lot of people enjoying the feature.

Edit: Just added guitar + dance mat support, LOLOLOLOL this is ridiculous
So how is High School Musical?

wwm0nkey

I swear I am going to kill DJkeemstar, he keeps on calling Fortresscraft his game. The developer really should just tell him to piss off already.

Top Bottom