• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox + Microsoft FY24 Q3 Results: Total Gaming +51%, Content and Services +62% Hardware -31%

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Phil has been doubling down for a decade now.

Throw The Towel GIF

Someone needs to put him out of his misery and tell him the truth.
If he has been doubling down for a decade...

Laugh Laughing GIF by Gotham

Alebrije

Phil has been doubling down for a decade now.

Throw The Towel GIF

Someone needs to put him out of his misery and tell him the truth.
He is 56 working on the biggest company of the world as CEO just under "Nutella" BOSS

He is living the dream.....wont find a better job if he laves Microsoft.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm curious if they actually right the ship or if they just let Activision and Blizzard slide into the cultural sinkhole that is Xbox.

Yet they are going to double down for at least one more gen
It has always been this way for Phil Spencer and Microsoft, the future is bright for Xbox!!. 2025 is going to be the best year for Xbox, then they will surpass it in 2026, in 2027 they will break all industry records to date, then when you least realize it they will reach 200 million consoles sold in 2028.

We have a winning strategy, we have confidence in ourselves, the success of the Xbox brand is imminent it just hasn't materialized yet.

Last edited:

rm082e

Yeah exactly, their plan is totally working. Yet everybody on GAF "omg how come Spencer isn't fired yet ?" because... the results are very good ?

They're not. The Xbox business is in terminal decline. At this rate they'll be lucky to sell 35 million Xbox Series S/X consoles before they end production. 360 sold 86 million, Xbox One sold 59.5, and now Series S/X will probably hit just over half of what the XO sold.

ABK being absorbed into Xbox doesn't make any of the Xbox numbers any better. And it looks like ABK declined compared to their numbers a year ago.

rm082e

Anything coming up that can maybe lift these numbers in the next quarter?

During the holidays last year they had Starfield as their big console exclusive. They had plenty of hardware in stock at major retailers, and I think they funded some crazy sales ($200 S and $400 X), but it didn't bend the curve one bit. If you look at the sales numbers, they just keep going down and down each month. They're selling way less at this point than the Xbox One did during the same point in it's life cycle.

Does Indiana Jones really look like it's going to get people excited and move millions of consoles? Or maybe getting this year's COD game on Game Pass? :messenger_neutral:

They needed a steady stream of big exclusive games that gave them a brand identity and get people excited. They didn't get that 8-9 years ago, and they decided to pivot away from relying on exclusives. That was a decision that essentially sealed their fate. We're just watching them run out the clock until Xbox is retired and all the game development is consolidated under the Microsoft Game Studios branding.

Yet they are going to double down for at least one more gen

They are likely definitely not making a traditional console next gen. Too many signs to ignore there.

There will be hardware next-gen, but not as a console. Think PC handheld, mini-PC/NUC style gaming systems packaged with & optimized for Windows builds with a console-like Xbox UI on top. With OEMs licensing their own variants, based around some standardized console-like spec blueprint.

That is the only real future Xbox has now in hardware aside from controller peripherals.

So 3.5 million for this year if they're lucky.

Yeah, and that's probably a best-case.

Last edited:

XXL

They're not. The Xbox business is in terminal decline. At this rate they'll be lucky to sell 35 million Xbox Series S/X consoles before they end production. 360 sold 86 million, Xbox One sold 59.5, and now Series S/X will probably hit just over half of what the XO sold.
This.

Selling around half of what the worst console launch in history (Xbox One) sold after spending so much money (even excluding ABK) is nothing short of a fucking disaster.

It's pretty obvious the general public doesn't give a shit about Xbox as a console anymore and no amount of doubling down is going to change anything.

I mean...they tripled down and (again) are selling half of what the Xbox One sold.
Its Over Basketball GIF by NBA

Prophets, pundits, connaisseurs, insiders, leakers...you name it 🫡
GQGbXCc.png

It's crazy how these kinds of people were and still are trying to gaslight your average Xbox fan.

Just to exemplify how rough the immediate future for Xbox really is:

Hellblade 2 has more red flags than green ones >PS5Pro Marketing/release > Their biggest games (Avowed, Indiana Jones) are at the end of the year and with high chances of being delayed. In that inter, MS can release more games on PS5. it's going to be nastier for that brand/console.

But what happens when you don't have a console to champion and then you rely solely on the quality and release schedule of games, which is already spotty at best?...I dunno man. How can a brand be this shitty and still find success in a market?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You have a very naive perception of how big corporations work, lol. They are big and wealthy exactly because they are culling the lame ducks (sorry) left and right. Just ask Nokia.

Some would say more realistic. What exactly about what MS has done over the past 20 years with xbox that makes you think they are more intersted in immediate profit vs long term market share? I would contend almost nothing, in fact the opposite, they have spent even more money on it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Considering you said this about Microsoft's involvement (or lack of) in VR the other day why is your stance regarding Xbox so different?:

Note: they were more than happy to give up on VR/AR eventually as well.

VR market tiny and low margin (yes even today). Gaming market huge and way more potential for profit. Easy decision. There will be some convergence down the line, but it's a long way away. And if you are in a good position in the gaming market, it puts you there for VR too when the time is right.

Varteras

Gold Member
Hardware drops are going to continue into Q4

Jesus. They had to spend $70 billion to buy a successful company, built up by the guy they booted out, just to have any positive financial news for a 20-year old gaming division. News that still doesn't paint a pretty picture for their platform.

Hellblade 2 has more red flags than green ones >PS5Pro Marketing/release > Their biggest games (Avowed, Indiana Jones) are at the end of the year and with high chances of being delayed. In that inter, MS can release more games on PS5. it's going to be nastier for that brand/console.

To put a finer point on that, neither game is in any way, shape, or form receiving the same level of anticipation as Xbox games that already came, went, and didn't have any significant impact.

LordCBH

Jesus. They had to spend $70 billion to buy a successful company, built up by the guy they booted out, just to have any positive financial news for a 20-year old gaming division. News that still doesn't paint a pretty picture for their platform

Honestly a shame how they’ve run it into the dirt. I like the hardware they put out. The 360 was great. The One X was excellent, and I think the Series X, as far as hardware goes, is great too. Hate how much they whiffed in terms of everything else after like 2009 or 2010 though.

To put a finer point on that, neither game is in any way, shape, or form receiving the same level of anticipation as Xbox games that already came, went, and didn't have any significant impact.
I think there are like 10 or 12 games that we know Xbox is working on. Only 2 (Fable and Project Dark) have this massive 'AAAA' level of production and expectations. The issue is: We know Project Dark has had a troubled development as well as some rumors for Fable too (engine issues, inexperienced studio at the RPG genre). Is Gears going to be a soft reboot like GoW 2018. That IP has become stale....Right here...this is Xbox's entire generation.

and I dunno why, but I have this feeling that a couple of those games (Contraband and Project dark come to mind) could get canceled.

Right now Xbox´s future is crystal clear to me. After the next 4 years Xbox is going to consolidate internally and just follow the Minecraft model. yeah sure, they will make a new game here and there, but that's it.

Crayon

And I'll be there day 1*. Love their eco-system.

* As long as there's a physical capable SKU at launch.

You will get something with an xbox logo on it and love it. Whether it's a handheld pc or a showbox full of bottle caps. Whatever it is, it's specifically for you and it's probably expected to sell even less than the series.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Lol...lmao
It's actually a legitimate question and it speaks wonders that you have no answer for it. I'm excited for the game, but it is not going to do anything significant for the Xbox platform. A new Gears is another story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom