• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox + Microsoft FY24 Q3 Results: Total Gaming +51%, Content and Services +62% Hardware -31%

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Really? That 69 billion could have been spent making multiple games, securing multiple exclusivity contracts, aggressively marketing the Series X, expanding GamePass even more, and building a much stronger brand..
Would you trust someone like Spencer to make the proper decision to make Xbox a stronger brand?

Dude literally has had blank checks and is killing the hardware division

XXL

Would you trust someone like Spencer to make the proper decision to make Xbox a stronger brand?

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Oh God no. he should have gone a good five or six years ago.
You know whats bad is leading into this gen is when I talked to him the most and the guy truly loves what he does and honestly has a very infectious positive energy which I bit into

Now I am just over it.

Its time for a change but their plan of succession does not inspire me

And now he is in charge of ABK as well. Let that sink in for a minute.
And thats going to lead to COD heading to Gamepass day one eventually and will destroy that game imo

Alebrije

Microsoft ADN it's made of software and services not hardware...no matter if it's Lenovo,MSI,Dell,HP....Office and Windows are there.

Xbox was Troy horse ,now no matter if You play on a PS5,Switch,PC,Xbox...now You can play thier games, their software. This is just the begining nothing stops this train.

Phil is producing money for Microsoft...he is fine , the problem are the "fans" Xbox was born to be sacrificed soon or later for a major good to Microsoft.

Last edited:

splattered

What are the odds of next gen hardware actually being fairly powerful and somewhat an open platform? On my drive running errands earlier i was thinking about their desire for pc/other storefronts on the console, their push into mobile, cloud, VR that hasn't materialized yet etc. If they could somehow create an uber powerful but also operationally flexible device that could run low-mid-high spec PC games, emulate or natively run mobile games, support cloud play, and maybe VR (either in house VR device or support 3rd party solutions) .... i could see advertising simply as a standalone letter "X" with each of these experiences being one of the four outer points of the letter (PC, Mobile, Cloud, VR) with Console or "You" in the center of the X. Box would probably be way too expensive though.

Unknown?

Microsoft ADN it's made of software and services not hardware...no matter if it's Lenovo,MSI,Dell,HP....Office and Windows are there.

Xbox was Troy horse ,now no matter if You play on a PS5,Switch,PC,Xbox...now You can play thier games, their software.
That wasn't the goal of the original Xbox, it was meant to be hardware to be everyone's living room device. It wasn't any trojan horse to become software on all devices.

Maybe

I doubt that would be a competitor to Playstation though, most likely a product to compliment each other
As a playstation owner a steamos PC is the only thing that could possibly pull me away. Steamdeck felt like a real handheld console. Their main hurdles will be MP and fixing games that don't work on Steamos. The latter of which could possibly be handled by devs if it gets big enough.

sendit

To be fair, fans would love to deny this. Microsoft killed the Xbox by releasing day 1 on the PC. And now, eventually the PS5.

The Series S also allowed for GOTY BG3 to be a timed exclusive on the PS5.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Why people in this forum always seems so happy with negative Xbox news? It's because they don't want to buy another console so they can have everything on their platform? It's because they don't want choice? It's just conservatism? I have seem people here celebrating even when a game get low metacritic score. It shouldn't be the opposite? After all, this is a gaming forum.

I think it's a number of different factors or types of people:

1. Some people simply do not like what Xbox leadership did to the console over time. This started with Xbox One and has continued through this generation. I am not going to recite the litany. We've been over it many times. But when there is bad Microsoft news, these people see it as justice. Xbox is getting their comeuppance, they are reaping the consequences of what they sowed.
  2. Some people think Phil is a charismatic PR guy who deceived a lot of gamers. They are pleased to see his big plan to revolutionize gaming flop.
  3. Some enjoy gloating. These are the "I told you so" guys.
  4. The console warriors. They root for their team to win, and when the other team loses, they're happy. This is rather silly, but as you say, "After all, this is a gaming forum." It's to be expected.
  5. People who don't want to fuss with buying a second console. They are happy about MS going multiplatform, because it means they'll get everything on their Playstations and won't need to get a second console.
  6. Some people despise Microsoft as a company. They are happy to see bad news about them.

I'm probably a mix of #1 and #5, mostly #5. I wouldn't describe myself as "always happy about negative Xbox news," though.

Last edited:

twilo99

Why people in this forum always seems so happy with negative Xbox news?

Sony fanboy echo chamber? It’s hard to tell tho.

I don't know if people on here are really this stupid with finance or trolling sometimes.

Just trolling.. hopefully.

Sure but people aren't dumb enough to ignore that spending billions and merging another company's revenue with your own would lead to a revenue increase. It would be a complete and colossal disaster if it went any other way.

Why would they buy ABK for 70b if they weren’t going to make any returns on their investment? ABK is an asset, or a basket of assets, which could also be sold for profit, or a loss, but people here act like Microsoft just threw 70 billion dollars into the a fire pit and got nothing in return.

Topher

Gold Member
Why would they buy ABK for 70b if they weren’t going to make any returns on their investment? ABK is an asset, or a basket of assets, which could also be sold for profit, or a loss, but people here act like Microsoft just threw 70 billion dollars into the a fire pit and got nothing in return.

People are saying the opposite. Xbox gaming increased revenue due to ABK alone.

twilo99

People are saying the opposite. Xbox gaming increased revenue due to ABK alone.

Yes, that’s exactly why they acquired them. Imagine buying an established business for billions that is actually loosing money…

Unless it’s some sort of promising start up with enormous growth potential, that kind of thing doesn’t happen.

And been applauded for it along the way.

We all win remember? It’s too late anyway but for me personally I’m not buying anything from them again while the likes of him are there.

It’s been shit and people are trying to tell you it isn’t based on backwards compatibility and subscription services. Shit, utter shit.

It’s embarrassing when you compare the output to the other two, a lot of people sold out to them for personal gain when they should have been honest and tell them it hadn’t been good enough.

Last edited:
How many quarters of non-existent console sales they can pile up until third parties just pull the plug on the platform?

They are basically publishing games that don't sell on two consoles that don't sell...

It's completely pointless

And they know now that MS is pivoting to third-party anyway...

So they are now wasting resources to support the dying platform of their biggest competitor

Last edited:

Tg89

Why people in this forum always seems so happy with negative Xbox news? It's because they don't want to buy another console so they can have everything on their platform? It's because they don't want choice? It's just conservatism? I have seem people here celebrating even when a game get low metacritic score. It shouldn't be the opposite? After all, this is a gaming forum.

Xbox has a very good piece of hardware, offer choices in the way you play and pay and also lowered the barrier to access games. It still ships a variety of good and different games, which are being successful sold on Playstation and Switch. So, It seems childish to me to celebrate the fall or end of a competitor in such a limited, difficult and expensive Industry. I can only imagine the outcome with two console markers.

And by the way, Nadela is doing what he did in all the other divisions and he might know what's he is doing being the leader of the largest company in the world.

Because the industry will be in a better spot when Xbox finally dies off. They've contributed nothing noteworthy over the last number of years. It would be fine if they just continued sucking on their lonesome, but they're determined to try to buy their way to success and destroy other companies while they're at it.

Really? That 69 billion could have been spent making multiple games, securing multiple exclusivity contracts, aggressively marketing the Series X, expanding GamePass even more, and building a much stronger brand..

None of what you mentioned would “build a stronger brand” more so than buying ABK.

Also, the return on this investment is much better than the return on all of that stuff you mentioned.

AJUMP23

That’s like saying applying a tourniquet to a severed arterial bleed is a “smart move”. That’s essentially all the acquisition was: A temporary stop to the bleeding. The issue now, much like applying a tourniquet in real life, is what they do next. Without addressing the root causes of the bleeding, they’ll continue to bleed out and die, albeit at a slower pace.

So they can completely follow the SEGA model, I guess. They can name it the Dreambox.
I think it is more the Xbox to 360. They got out early with the 360.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
What are the odds of next gen hardware actually being fairly powerful and somewhat an open platform? On my drive running errands earlier i was thinking about their desire for pc/other storefronts on the console, their push into mobile, cloud, VR that hasn't materialized yet etc. If they could somehow create an uber powerful but also operationally flexible device that could run low-mid-high spec PC games, emulate or natively run mobile games, support cloud play, and maybe VR (either in house VR device or support 3rd party solutions) .... i could see advertising simply as a standalone letter "X" with each of these experiences being one of the four outer points of the letter (PC, Mobile, Cloud, VR) with Console or "You" in the center of the X. Box would probably be way too expensive though.
It depends on your definition of powerful and open. Consoles are IMHO defined by their need/desire to be sold to scale, outside of exceptions like the Neo Geo. We have rumors of the next gen Xbox being powerful, but also of it being not sold at a loss. It would in the worst case then be just a PC with a MS logo, and have to me a weak value proposition. They can't at the same time have a open platform, have proprietary tech or software like their version of DLSS while still be competitive with the hardware market AND the PS5/Switch2 consoles with a PS6 on the horizon. One thing will have to give. Have no compromise, but be a niche product? It would be a hard sell after the relative lack of success of the one X and the Series X. I would like that, but can't see Microsoft giving me such a gift.
Be open to other storefronts like Steam and use standart PC parts? Then how to push performance? Have a secret sauce like Sony promised us with their SSD and may have with PSSR? Then how to make it stick with the wider PC market when they kind of failed to make stuff like SFS or just convince third parties to use specific ray tracing tech for their games instead of the generic libraries straight from PC?

Roxkis_ii

You know what, I know a way to get xbox hardware flying off shaves and selling out like an Apple products. Include a free PS5 and call it the ultimate gaming bundle. Throw in a copy of halo (on ps5) and it would run Nintendo out of business.

/s

I believe they actively tried to crash the videogame industry to the point that only a super rich company could survive it as they lock everyone into a subscription model.
they basically said that. It was from Nadella talking about being disruptive with Game Pass.

Klayzer

Sony came in and immediately sold 100m consoles. 40m more than the previous record the NES
Just because Microsoft failed, doesn't mean its impossible, lol.

Amazon, Apple, Samsung, LG, etc. They're plenty of companies that could come in and do better job of competiting than Microsoft.

This stupid narrative, if Microsoft cant compete, therfore nobody else can, bullshit is disingenuous.

It helped more than you know because Series X by itself would have been dead at the door.
Hell it's pretty much dead while having a lower end console to boost the numbers & you all wanted to take that away? Lol
Nah, I think they would have been better off focusing on one main powerful SKU and enticing fence-sitters with deals and discounts. No way would I have ever purchased the series S, but I came into the gen wanting the next gen Xbox until it was clear they were not prepared for this gen.

It helped more than you know because Series X by itself would have been dead at the door.
Hell it's pretty much dead while having a lower end console to boost the numbers & you all wanted to take that away? Lol

I hear this all the time but we really don't know that. Not only that but I've heard enough devs complain about the Series S to make me believe that if other devs are having issues with it I bet MS's own studios are to. The last thing MS needs is to make game development even more difficult for their own studios.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Just because Microsoft failed, doesn't mean its impossible, lol.

Amazon, Apple, Samsung, LG, etc. They're plenty of companies that could come in and do better job of competiting than Microsoft.

This stupid narrative, if Microsoft cant compete, therfore nobody else can, bullshit is disingenuous.
Oh yeah I agree. My point was they were a newbie and shattered it

Nydius

The Series X is “dead at the door” because of the Series S. Microsoft marketed it to the masses as “the same but cheaper” so people bought it rather than the X. Only enthusiasts or people who wanted access to physical media paid attention to the deeper differences.

And then they told devs that they HAD to ensure feature parity so Microsoft could make good on those marketing claims to the masses (which inevitably blew up in their faces with BG3, handing a win to Sony in the process).

We will never know what the Series X might have sold if they had taken the PS5 path (both using the same hardware, one omitting the optical drive). The only thing we can say for certain, thanks to the now redacted FTC leaks, is that the Series S cannibalized sales of the Series X to a significant degree.

Stooky

I think MS is signaling there will be an opening for someone to do that very thing next gen because MS seems to be heading towards a dockable handheld and a much more powerful Xbox/PC

If someone wants to step up to the plate and go head to head to the PS6 absolutely nothing is stopping them

I don't see anyone taking on this task
I always thought apple would fit that role. If the next apple tv has m2 chip or above (m3 m4) that would be a perfect trojan horse console.

Top Bottom