• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One components showing up for sale

Taij

That powerbrick is insanely big.

Are you saying this based off the pictures that have no frame of reference in them? I personally don't think that it's "insanely big". It's slightly longer than the longest width of a Xbox controller. I prefer the design of the playstation with the internal PSU, but I don't see the Xbox One external brick as that big a deal. The Xbox 360 brick was significantly bigger and heavier.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This is the third time I've seen you type this exact same sentence. I saw you post it twice in the Xbone slogan thread. What's your angle missy?

Quote him to see what he really wrote.

Are you saying this based off the pictures that have no frame of reference in them? I personally don't think that it's "insanely big". It's slightly longer than the longest width of a Xbox controller. I prefer the design of the playstation with the internal PSU, but I don't see the Xbox One external brick as that big a deal. The Xbox 360 brick was significantly bigger and heavier.

It just sucks for those with setups that don't have room for a brick.

The Flash

Banned
The mods put a filter on him so that all of his posts come out like that. It's a punishment for hiding comments in email tags all the time.

post-26056-Antonio-Banderas-computer-reac-Tj1G.gif

Wow. Sorry mate.

moai

picture is too small but i think i can see that the brick says 110-240 voltage.
good news for importers?

Caronte

Good thing we can have different opinions, then.

Orca

I'm tempted to get one of the outer shells and give it to a friend who does a lot of custom aibrush work, see what he can do.

GavinGT

Banned
Is that a problem?

The X-clamp itself wasn't really the problem. It was more like an inadequate solution to the real problems - indirect cooling of the heatsinks leading to high internal temps leading to mainboard flexing leading to cracked solder joints.

Removing the X-clamps and replacing them with bolts and washers only helped a lot of people because it essentially smooshed those cracked solder joints back together. But if they hadn't cracked in the first place nobody would be blaming X-clamps for anything.

Vivie

Banned
I still can't believe they settled for this design. I looks like an 80's vcr mated with an air conditioner. Not a fan of either ps4 or xbone's use of half matte half gloss finish, but those gaudy vents along the top are fugly, the huge block design seals the deal. Besides being one of the ugliest consoles ever made, it's just one of the ugliest modern tech devices around.

Klocker

The X-clamp itself wasn't really the problem. It was more like an inadequate solution to the real problems - indirect cooling of the heatsinks leading to high internal temps leading to mainboard flexing leading to cracked solder joints.

Removing the X-clamps and replacing them with bolts and washers only helped a lot of people because it essentially smooshed those cracked solder joints back together. But if they hadn't cracked in the first place nobody would be blaming X-clamps for anything.

yes...

and after a billion dollars in losses over it I'm pretty certain they made sure that would never happen again

Orayn

Should have been the FP.

Why does a box that big need a power brick any way??

The entire contents of that brick would need to fit in here:

4taEO.jpg

Obviously not impossible, but it adds more complexity to the design and potentially makes it more difficult to have the console be as quiet and cool as possible.

EvB

The entire contents of that brick would need to fit in here:

4taEO.jpg

Obviously not impossible, but it adds more complexity to the design and potentially makes it more difficult to have the console be as quiet and cool as possible.

It's clearly not impossible if Sony managed it. They must have their reasons though.

Orayn

It's clearly not impossible if Sony managed it. They must have their reasons though.

Yeah. It's not a matter of "Microsoft are a software company, couldn't figure it out, what'd you expect, lololololol," just a design choice with potentially valid reasoning behind it that some people disagree with. Kinda like the controller using AA batteries.

I don't particularly like either decision, by the way, but I can sort of see where they were coming from.

there are better things in the world that deserve anger...

xbone

but on topic are they expecting these things to melt or something?
Yes they are. See those little plastic pieces in the first image of the OP? They fuse the box together 2 minutes after powering on. This is how they prevent you from changing the hard drive.

But really, they clearly don't mind using external power supplies, and additionally this time round they have been very upfront and said they want it to run as quietly as possible, and to do that they need as little heat in there as possible and having the power supply in there would add heat.

EvB

Yeah. It's not a matter of "Microsoft are a software company, couldn't figure it out, what'd you expect, lololololol," just a design choice with potentially valid reasoning behind it that some people disagree with. Kinda like the controller using AA batteries.

I don't particularly like either decision, by the way, but I can sort of see where they were coming from.

I can think of a few reasons

Thermal build up is reduced (even more so when the PSU has a fan as it does on 360)

You can manufacture one SKU that can be used and distributed worldwide.

Repair costs would be lower if a PSU failed

There is also the question of space inside the machine for additional components. There is that mystery port at the back of the machine along with a mysterious space inside the machine directly behind it. Making space for tv /cable /satellite tuners?

Darkangel

The power brick actually contains all the internals of an Xbox 360.

Brace yourselves for the secret backwards compatibility reveal.

nampad

I hope that X in the shell in the bottom left picture doesn't mean that Microsoft went with an X-clamp again.

That's what I thought. The X-Clamp is such a big design flaw, I still don't understand why they haven't fixed it in earlier revisions after the first RRODs.

Taij

Good thing we can have different opinions, then.

Absolutely you are entitled to your opinion. The thing I was curious about (which you still didn't address) is if you are making your opinion based off a crappy image on the internet with no frame of reference or if it's actually informed? My opinion on this comes from first hand knowledge.

Also it's unfortunate that I have to put a disclaimer here, but I don't own a 360 (I *personally* think the PSU on that is insanely big) and don't plan on buying an Xbox One any time soon. I also much prefer the PS4 integrated solution. So don't assume I'm just part of the MS defense force out to quell all descent.

Metzhara

Warranty voiding, DIY Xbox One faceplates! Sure, It's not CERTAIN X-box One faceplates are compatible with Xbox One faceplates, but when have Chinese reproductions let us down? -Adam

Top Bottom