• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Controller not working for Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 in Windows 10

MCD

It will stop working as soon as you hit new or load save.

Just wanted to inform folks that wanna play this in Win10.

UPDATE:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173730087&postcount=40

I had this problem last night. It's the default Xbox driver that was installed with Windows 10.

I didn't have to download anything, but that might be because I did an upgrade from 8.1 to 10, so your experience might me slightly different. There is not need to delete the previous driver either.

To solve the issue:
Go to device manager
Select the Xbox Controller
Right click and select "Update driver software"
"Browse my computer for driver software"
"Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
And then select "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" instead of the previously installed "Xbox Controller"

It all worked again after that.

Could it be that they removed DirectInput support from new that driver?

cafemomo

Really?

I just bought a xbone controller to play games such as FFVIII/XIII/Type-0 & VC cause the DS4 went bonkers with the update

god dammit obama

MadGear

IIRC a friend of mine also mentioned his Xbox One Fight Stick not working at all with the Windows 10 preview builds (usually only the LT/RT buttons wont work). This one is clearly on MS.

tlstls

Banned
to be fair, it's not like those FFXIII ports were well done in the first place. Last time i played it you still needed to press ESC to get out of the games

i believe since Windows 8.X they've come with XB1 controller drivers built in

I had to install, i was in 8.1 and now in 10, had to install in both.

HowZatOZ

Banned
IIRC a friend of mine also mentioned his Xbox One Fight Stick not working at all with the Windows 10 preview builds (usually only the LT/RT buttons wont work). This one is clearly on MS.
How long ago was that? Preview builds move fast so the issue has more than likely been solved now that we are at release.

OP try installing Xbox One drivers for kicks, worked for me.

cyress8

Banned
Blame SE on this one. FF 13 does the same thing when you try to steam stream it. Main reason I have not played the game after I bought it.

I do not have 13-2, so can't comment on that one.

Tenck

I was just looking at my library for games to play and FF 13 was one of them lol. I'll have to wait this one out then.

Lazaro

This has been happening since Preview.

I think one of the solutions is to disable the GameBar in the Xbox App or something because it interferes with some games.

My laptop doesn't recognise the fact that I've plugged in my Xbone controller at all. Controller doesn't light up or anything. My phone charges but doesn't appear as an attached device so I'm thinking it's a USB thing rather than just an Xbone controller issue.

Game streaming worked perfectly fine with a 360 wired controller though.

Edit: Tried it with a bunch of different cables and it finally worked on the third or fourth attempt. Apparently I just have a great deal of shitty USB chargers.

Nzyme32

My laptop doesn't recognise the fact that I've plugged in my Xbone controller at all. Controller doesn't light up or anything. My phone charges but doesn't appear as an attached device so I'm thinking it's a USB thing rather than just an Xbone controller issue.

Game streaming worked perfectly fine with a 360 wired controller though.

I recall reading a ranting set of tweets from Jonathan Blow regarding lots of USB issues as well as something to do with Windows 10 making your WIFI details public amongst other things. Sounds like it would be better to wait a while before jumping on Windows 10, like every OS

Siddiqui

It's probably square enix's fault. They have some funny kind of xbox controller implementation and this causes various issues. With FF13 [and The Last Remnant as well] I have to unplug any d-input controller attached for the 360 controller to work. For FF13:

Despite stating "A game controller using Xinput is recomended for this game" on the Steam page,[28] the game only supports DirectInput and will not use the XInput driver of a controller, it merely maps controllers as Xbox controllers.[29][30] This causes XInput controllers to not work if they only have a XInput driver installed.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII#XInput_controller_doesn.27t_work

Apparently, FF13 doesn't use Microsoft's provided solution and SE needlessly wrote it's own driver/API.

nibblemonkey

Neo Member
I think this is specific to final fantasy, I tried my Xbox one controller with Ultra Street Fighter 4 on windows 10 and had no issues

Momentary

Banned
Theres a few games that don't work with XB1 controller on PC. Neptunia 1 and 2 are some others. Haven't experienced problem with other games.

Caayn

Dunno if I did something special. But it's still working in XIII for me, I don't have XIII-2 so I can't check that one.

Edit: It seems to be wonky in save/load menus. Outside of that it works.

shiyrley

Banned
This is happenning to me too. Even the keyboard stops working in the game. Any fixes?

EDIT:

If I don't touch the gamepad at all until I load the file, it works. But as soon as I enter a shop / save / etc menu, it stops working again. This is bullshit.

This is happenning to me too. Even the keyboard stops working in the game. Any fixes?

EDIT:

If I don't touch the gamepad at all until I load the file, it works. But as soon as I enter a shop / save / etc menu, it stops working again. This is bullshit.

This sounds like what cyress8 mentioned with steam streaming. That's the exact behavior with the steam streaming.

Lazaro

Anyone found a fix?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/292140/discussions/0/535152276586110166/#c535152276586959458

I found this in the Steam Discussions. Requires uninstalling the default Windows 10 drivers and replacing them with the downloadable ones from Xbox Support from I read.

Personally I would rather wait for an official fix. Hopefully the reason Lighting Returns is taking so long is because Square Enix is optimising and fixing all the games in the FXIII trilogy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
http://steamcommunity.com/app/292140/discussions/0/535152276586110166/#c535152276586959458

I found this in the Steam Discussions. Requires uninstalling the default Windows 10 drivers and replacing them with the downloadable ones from Xbox Support from I read.

Personally I would rather wait for an official fix. Hopefully the reason Lighting Returns is taking so long is because Square Enix is optimising and fixing all the games in the FXIII trilogy.

I'm hoping for that, but I realize it's almost certainly not happening.

At the very least Lightning Returns should be a decent port just because SE will get slammed with refunds if it's not a big improvement over XIII and XIII-2.

Lazaro

I'm hoping for that, but I realize it's almost certainly not happening.

At the very least Lightning Returns should be a decent port just because SE will get slammed with refunds if it's not a big improvement over XIII and XIII-2.

Yeah I see what you mean. At least FF Type 0 looks like it will be a decent or at most a great port.

I had this problem last night. It's the default Xbox driver that was installed with Windows 10.

I didn't have to download anything, but that might be because I did an upgrade from 8.1 to 10, so your experience might be slightly different. There is not need to delete the previous driver either.

To solve the issue:
Go to device manager
And then select "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" instead of the previously installed "Xbox Controller"

shiyrley

Banned

I didn't have to download anything, but that might be because I did an upgrade from 8.1 to 10, so your experience might me slightly different. There is not need to delete the previous driver either.

To solve the issue:
Go to device manager

I love you.

MCD

To solve the issue:
Go to device manager

Brot, you rock man. Love you.

This works 100% for me but like Brot, I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 so dunno if fresh installed Win10 users can do it too.

Phinor

I don't have "Microsoft Xbox One Controller" in the list so...

Anyway, my Xbox One controller isn't working properly in any game. The bindings are all messed up, LT acts as RT etc. Clean Windows 10 install with default drivers on the controller and as I said, I can't update because the updater doesn't offer me the option to choose the right driver/device.

MCD

Anyway, my Xbox One controller isn't working properly in any game. The bindings are all messed up, LT acts as RT etc. Clean Windows 10 install with default drivers on the controller and as I said, I can't update because the updater doesn't offer me the option to choose the right driver/device.

Did you try this?

Can you try installing the driver manually?

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/controller-pc-compatibility

Lazaro

I didn't have to download anything, but that might be because I did an upgrade from 8.1 to 10, so your experience might be slightly different. There is not need to delete the previous driver either.

To solve the issue:
Go to device manager

Could it be that they removed DirectInput support from that new driver?

I've just tried this. It works and now I can use the guide button in Steam Big Picture but the guide registers two button presses for some reason. The games play normally though including FFXIII. But this disables the Game Bar and makes Minecraft for Windows 10 unresponsive for some reason.

I emailed Square Enix about the Windows 10 Xbox controller issue and they said this:

Thank you for contacting the Square Enix Support Centre.

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with FINAL FANTASY XIII on Windows 10, unfortunately we are not aware of any problems with the game but as there has been no update to it since Windows 10 was released there is no gaurantee that it would be supported.

Can you confirm the following details :

- The type of controller you are trying to use
- If it is wired/wireless
- Have you tried using different USB ports
- Have you removed and re-installed the drivers for the controler
- Was it a new install of Windows 10 or did you upgrade your previous operating system

Once we have that information we can try and help further.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused but if there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to contact us again.

The drivers in Windows seem to be specific for Windows 10 Xbox app functionalities. This is properly a fault of Microsoft drivers and not Square Enix's custom controller API solution. If that makes sense :p

Top Bottom