• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Kinect and Gameplay Video (UI stuff)

So he was expected elsewhere, yet HAD to turn his One on just to watch Pacific Rim, play two seconds of Titanfall, then watch TV. This guy has to be the worst teammate and friend ever. Geez.

Clearly a target video. My concern is that a lot of this stuff won't be very intuitive without Kinect (which I would never use).

Super fake. The part where he says Xbox join titanfall and it just plays some gameplay video they showed before. No way you can just say join and drop into a match like that.

Einbroch

Banned
Don't judge the speed out of this.

It looks good tho.

The speed is kind of all that matters, though. If I can click right three times and hit A faster than this thing recognizes my voice and does what I want it to, what's the point?

Could be neat, but really, until we see this thing out in the wild, this is all PR. I mean, the Xbox logo and name even appears before can finish the word "Xbox".

Mr Moose

I can only hope PS4's voice commands are that good. That video was really nice.

Funny thing is, you don't need the camera for the voice commands on PS4 (right?) you can just speak to the controller (wait am I making this stuff up? *googles*).
Yeah, controller does it.

I'm getting the camera with my bundle, because I love tech and it's pretty much free ^_^ I wouldn't mind a Kinect camera, too, if it wasn't so damn big.

Tsundere

Banned
The speed is kind of all that matters, though. If I can click right three times and hit A faster than this thing recognizes my voice and does what I want it to, what's the point?

Could be neat, but really, until we see this thing out in the wild, this is all PR. I mean, the Xbox logo and name even appears before can finish the word "Xbox".

They didn't even use commands for everything in there. On top of that it's faked, so why not use voice commands for everything?

Friend : "Xbox blah"
Me: "They're over there!"
Me: "Yo behind you!"
Me: "Shut the fuck up!"
Me: "Stop talking to your fucking Kinect and play!!!"

MarkusRJR

Still annoyed that they confirmed the Xbone Kinect requires a good deal of room (4.6' minimum distance away). Now I'm definitely waiting for a Kinect less model.

VanWinkle

If that is a real indication of how fast it will be, I'm very impressed (the game thing obviously isn't, but the rest).

Super old Titanfall footage? Is this a really good fake?

He jumped into Titanfall mad instantly.

Also, not having to press the share button to share...that's pretty good, know?

Krilekk

Banned
I can only hope PS4's voice commands are that good. That video was really nice.

Yeah, but the question is how much of it was fake. The Titanfall footage definitely was not realtime, it's the same footage that's been shown a couple of days ago (doublejump through the window, then melee attack). Which means this is nothing but their vision for how it all works.

Nibel

I mean the amount of ads in the very first menu screen that opens up must be a fucking joke
KuGsj.gif

This is so incredibly fucked up

stktt

Banned
xbox go to Titanfall no Pacific Rim no Skype no TV no check friend requests now back to Pacific Rim but wait I still need to play Titanfall now snap Internet Explorer and call my friend while switching back to TV.

Dinda

Do you really have to say xbox before every command?

After a few months half of the Xbox buyers will probably start putting a random xbox in there sentences even when not "playing".

Don't get me wrong, if it really works that well it is a neat feature, but for me it will at best be something that i try at the beginning and after doing it a few times i will just use the normal controls because it's less of a hassle. Like it happened with every kind of voice controls i used till now.

Bsigg12

Paging Albert, can you post a video of you using the system in your house please? :D

I really like the way they have the UI setup though.

Portugeezer

Looks good, but also fake.

But if Microsoft gets it running like that it's definitely very nice, although I don't really care about the TV, movies, internet explorer.

Everdred

It's way to simulated, there is no way it's that fast. Can't wait for the features themselves but they should be honest up front. Titan Fall footage was just the middle of gameplay. No menu to set up the game and no fresh spawn. Also things like typing for the search was not real-time.

They just set everyone up for disappointment.

sneaky77

Of course it is fake. It is using the trailer Titanfall footage for a start.

Regardless of it being genuine or not it may still be that fast, don't forget.

I'd imagine it won't be - but could be.

If it was working as advertised they would probably release video of a real time demonstration of the UI not that it won't get there eventually mind you.

They didn't even use commands for everything in there. On top of that it's faked, so why not use voice commands for everything?

Kinect 2 is an additional controller.

Some things will be faster with Kinect i.e. "record that"/"share"/"open x app or game/snap x app".

Some things will be faster with controller, i.e. navigating currently opened menus.

People still seem to be of the mindset that Kinect needs is meant to be a be all, end all device and that every single implementation needs to reflect that. When it isn't true.

Kinect is there to supplement your experience, not take it over.

SeanNaess

Neo Member
C'mon guys, obviously it's heavily edited. It's giving you an idea of what to expect. Do you really think we will have SICK GUITAR RIFFS as we navigate the UI?

Yes. Yes we will.

When he said "go to activity feed" it brought up a specific friend, not the activity feed Major Nelson showed us.

When he said "go to Titanfall", it just started playing the same exact E3 footage we've seen all summer. Contrast this to Shuhei Yoshida ACTUALLY loading up Killzone live on screen at Gamescom.

Conclusion: Not a real-time video and is just more Microsoft PR giving us a theoretical look into what it can be like. I'm still very skeptical about this.

Yeah, pretty much.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Well, it's... pretty cool I guess?
Does content need premade tags or does x1 just search for whatever matches the voice input first? I mean, he said "Pacific Rim" and that was that, but what if it's Star Wars Episode Five The Empire Strikes Back? That'd be a mouthful.
I suppose it's a bit convenient when you're in the heat of a multiplayer match and you can't be arsed to distract yourself with hitting the record button, but in general I can't see this function be more than just a neat little addition to both consoles.

KORNdoggy

Their previous video's showing this had disclaimers stating "footage sped up for demonstration purposes", but this shows non. Would be curious to see someone replicate this trailer at launch (switch out games/movies where necessary) just to see how accurate it is.

reKon

Banned
wait, there hasn't been an actually video of the Xbox One OS yet? I swore I watched a small clip of it before...That's the one of the main things they'yre touting about the system too.

jond76

Banned
The video was obviously made to showcase, in part, the multiple input methods you can use to navigate. Clearly he could have button pressed his way to Pacific Rim or said ," Bing sleepy hollow". But it was a showcase video.

A little critical thinking before jumping to insults helps to avoid sounding screwy.

Good video.

LowParry

Guys. That's not real. lol - but the concept is probably legit. But that fast? No way. I hate that UI though.

stktt

Banned
Super old Titanfall footage? Is this a really good fake?

He jumped into Titanfall mad instantly.

Also, not having to press the share button to share...that's pretty good, know?

It's on the official Xbox website. The game and TV footage was likely inserted as a means to demonstrate the UI, not actually running in real time.

I mean the amount of ads in the very first menu screen that opens up must be a fucking joke
KuGsj.gif

This is so incredibly fucked up

I didn't see any advertisements, unless you're talking about surfacing content available on the store. I enjoy that sort of promotion, since it's lead to some good recommendations a number of times. It's the external advertisements of the current dashboard that I loathe. At any rate, accessing your content seems even faster than it was on the 360 (same basic grid system highlighting your most recent activity, the new pin section, plus Kinect), so I doubt it will be an inconvenience to navigate.

Stuff like this is why I went with XB1. I just expect the user experience and non gaming services to be leaps and bounds better than what the market offers. Being in the US, I'll get access to all of it also.

Top Bottom