• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Kinect and Gameplay Video (UI stuff)

Different external design (not by that much), I don't think the code itself has changed that much. And I also don't think the "old" dash is older than 1-1.5 months.

Anyway, I'd better leave this conversation :p

We got a peak at the "old" build for the first time at Gamescom so its got a little age on it. Could have been the same build from E3 for all we know. Anyway I also don't want to spend the night arguing over dev builds so I'm out of the convo as well man.

danwarb

Either way, if the X1 matchmaking takes so long to find a game that it needs a dedicated service runing in the background, count me out. Everyone can bear some seconds waiting in matchmaking.

It'll be a nice feature to have if you're waiting for a specific group.

netBuff

I don't think I've ever seen it outside of pictures or the badly shot video of it when Yosh was using it. Only thing I can comment on is the nasty looking activity feed that I know was official. It was awful.

We've seen quite a few screenshots of the PS4 UI: In my opinion, it is much more beautifully designed than the tiles UI the Xbone has. That one just isn't attractive (same for Windows Phone and Windows 8).

UNCMark

Banned
Yeah, not gonna happen...even a game like killzone, with completely stripped out splash screens and epilepsy warnings takes a little over 2 and a half minutes to go from launch to menu's.

I don't think you're telling the full story. There's no way a cached/installed Killzone takes 2.5 minutes to load from the main UI.

We've seen quite a few screenshots of the PS4 UI: In my opinion, it is much more beautifully designed than the tiles UI the Xbone has. That one just isn't attractive (same for Windows Phone and Windows 8).

I can only comment on what I've seen and what it looks like to me is a huge mess.

TheCloser

Banned
I hope people realize that this video didn't happen in real time. Its just a several videos stitched together to show the features of the UI.

Beautiful? Cmon man. Yea, beauty is subjective but it's not even close imo. Maybe it'll be faster, more responsive, easier to navigate etc, because we don't know enough yet. But I dont see "beautiful" anywhere in that UI.

netBuff

It looks bland to me, far from beautiful.

I completely agree, Xbone UI looks extremely bland and uninteresting. I'm also questioning the usability of their "hidden menus" and "menus behind menus" as well as horizontal scrolling philosophy. Microsoft's history of half-baked UI design is certainly showing (of course, I haven't used the UI so far, so maybe the final product will surprise).

Just for comparison's sake:

sePcj0X.jpg

ezV7zS4.jpg

MTWPLtv.jpg

AAAAaand we've finally reached "that" stage of the thread.

Actually MY opinion of what is good is correct!

Everything that you care about is wrong!!

*drops mic

KORNdoggy

I don't think you're telling the full story. There's no way a cached/installed Killzone takes 2.5 minutes to load from the main UI.

If it's idle in memory using the "not there on day 1" suspend/resume feature...no.

But i don't see why it wouldn't need a decent bit of time to boot up from scratch. Certainly more time then the INSTANT launch shown in this video of titanfall...but as netBuff said though, maybe that was from install to menu, not launch to menu... i just remember reading the GG guys saying 2.44minutes or something to reach the main menu.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, because saying "Xbox, go to Pacfic Rim" is so much fast than just pressing the A button when it's already selected! Also, him jumping into Titanfall instantly was obviously faked BS, as it had just been downloaded and therefore couldn't have been suspended.

EDIT: Sorry, I misunderstood what that pop-up meant. Could be real then, I guess. Although it still looks a bit too snappy, and the way he ends up right in the action like that is suspicious.

Dramos

As long as everything runs seamlessly fast and fluid then I'm all set. From my experience with 8.1, I doubt there will be any huge issues with this feature. This is the Kinect that should have been released 3 years ago.

According to someone who has been working with the UI for months... the video is bullshit. Not even close to those speeds.

Not that you needed a dev to tell you that video is fake. Much like Sony's video.

netBuff

If it's idle in memory using the "not there on day 1" suspend/resume feature...no.

But i don't see why it wouldn't need a decent bit of time to boot up from scratch. Certainly more time then the INSTANT launch shown in this video of titanfall...but as netBuff said though, maybe that was from install to menu, not launch to menu... i just remember reading the GG guys saying 2.44minutes or something to reach the main menu.

It was from disc to first level without any prior install. Not even menu.

Boke1879

Sony really needs to start putting out some UI videos. If they don't put any out this week they NEED to put some out the first week of November.

danwarb

Yeah, because saying "Xbox, go to Pacfic Rim" is so much fast than just pressing the A button when it's already selected! Also, him jumping into Titanfall instantly was obviously faked BS, as it had just been downloaded and therefore couldn't have been suspended.

I believe you can "go to" anything if you can name it, that should be useful. The game was supposed to be loaded and matchmaking I think.

Edit: missed your edit.

I completely agree, Xbone UI looks extremely bland and uninteresting. I'm also questioning the usability of their "hidden menus" and "menus behind menus" as well as horizontal scrolling philosophy. Microsoft's history of half-baked UI design is certainly showing (of course, I haven't used the UI so far, so maybe the final product will surprise).

History of half baked UI design? Jesus H.

Hawk269

Speeded up but still very nice features.

Is it speed up though? In the past, videos like that would have a footnote stating "images accelerated" or something like that. I know it looks like it would not be that fast in real life, but can you imagine if it was? I mean, perhaps after some updates and optimizations it will be, but it sure would be nice if it was that fast at launch.

We got a peak at the "old" build for the first time at Gamescom so its got a little age on it. Could have been the same build from E3 for all we know. Anyway I also don't want to spend the night arguing over dev builds so I'm out of the convo as well man.

It's not like we're gonna get anything out of this, but it wasn't personal anyway. I've been doing stuff with NG for months now, so I don't want to say anything I might regret later :)

VanWinkle

Sony really needs to start putting out some UI videos. If they don't put any out this week they NEED to put some out the first week of November.

I would just love to see a nice 10-15 minute, direct-feed, real time demo of both UIs in their day one patch state. But since they are probably both being worked on for their day one patches, who knows if we'll get it. Hopefully soon.

Is it speed up though? In the past, videos like that would have a footnote stating "images accelerated" or something like that. I know it looks like it would not be that fast in real life, but can you imagine if it was? I mean, perhaps after some updates and optimizations it will be, but it sure would be nice if it was that fast at launch.

Screens simulated; appearance will vary

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/meet-xbox-one?xr=shellnav

bottom of the page

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I believe you can "go to" anything if you can name it, that should be useful.

Sure, but in this video the game is already the current selection, so he's just wasting his time by using voice commands rather than just pressing the A button on the controller to start it.

Now if only we could use custom wallpapers on the PS4

That's not "Jesus H.", but common sense to anyone that has used Windows as well as other Microsoft products over the years.

Common sense is understanding difference of opinion. I have used Microsoft products especially Xbox Live and I don't agree with you at all.

Caayn

That's not "Jesus H.", but common sense to anyone that has used Windows as well as other Microsoft products over the years.
Excuse me, could you tell me where I can buy this "common sense" you're referring to? So I know what I need to avoid.
I've been using Windows for years and never had any major issues with the UI.
Sure, but in this video the game is already the current selection, so he's just wasting his time by using voice commands rather than just pressing the A button on the controller to start it.
This video is simply showing that you can use both methods. A:) Use the controller to select to object you want. B:) Use Kinect and simply say the name of the object you want.

It isn't about speed in this video, it's about functionality/options.

Yes, it is Jesus H as they design the most widely used UI on the planet, UI's that everyone cries about when they're changed even a little bit.

netBuff

Common sense is understanding difference of opinion. I have used Microsoft products especially Xbox Live and I don't agree with you at all.

Well, everyone has opinions these days.

Yes, it is Jesus H as they design the most widely used UI on the planet, UI's that everyone cries about when they're changed even a little bit.

That doesn't mean a thing, their UI's very often lack in consistency as well as usability. Modern very much suffers a lack of coherency in its Windows 8 iteration as well as having many features that are hidden in non-obvious manners (the 8.1 iteration is a bit better at this).

UNCMark

Banned
Respond to truth being layed down by insider = invested in console war. Get off my shit.

Yeah, we can't have people actually enjoying something. And in case you missed it, the commercial isn't about speed. It's about showing functionality(thus the 'simulated' message). Nothing Mort said in any way changes even a little bit how the UI is supposed to function, which is what is being advertised.

No, just that people who actually thought that was real needed to be brought back down from the dream world.

smh

Every thread. Every single thread.

Top Bottom