• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One lost $400m for Microsoft for FY2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sify64

Can you not say just as well that Sony's profits and lead so far is a reason for Nintendo to go into the "console power war"?

Not really, if Microsoft can't make similar sales/ profits when their strategies, third party relations and target audience are nearly one to one, that doesn't bode very well for Nintendo's chances.

JaggedSac

Im just gonna repeat myself till I gain traction or someone tells me Im wrong...but..

Those highlighted sentences only talk about CHANGES in revenue, not ACTUAL revenue, you cant calculate profits or loss based on the info quoted in OP, unless you know what the revenues and cost were BEFORE these changes.

Edit : Yay Castef!!!! :)

We do know revenues and margins, they are in the doc:

Revenue
Computing and Gaming Hardware------------$9,628m

Gross Margin
Computing and Gaming Hardware------------$893m

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Motivated by shortsighted greed while completely overestimating their market power, Microsoft certainly worked long and hard to drive away consumers. If that was the plan, it worked out brilliantly.

not trying to defend microsoft in the slightest, but why wouldn't they be motivated by greed?

the real truth is this: as long as companies like MS rely on other businesses to offset huge, continuous losses they suffer in gaming, the success of this industry is something of an illusion. There are very few companies actually thriving exclusively on gaming products and services.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You guys can't compare sony's operating loss with Microsoft's gross margin.

When you put it in perspective, Xbox really is a pimple on microsoft's ass. Even this huge loss is tiny. The upside potential is just so limited for a company where gross margins are sky high and revenues are in the tens of billions on a quarterly basis. I'll never get it. Whatever.

But zomg, isn't this talking about changes in margin and not absolute margin?

They only have but themselves to blame for this, no excuses. They were basically destroying whats left of the brand while everyone was watching last year.

SerTapTap

Maybe MS should actually build PCs?
Surface is pretty amazing hardware. They could release different power options (like a basic, an elite and a pro for hardcore gamers). Kind of like Steam machines but with full versions of Windows installed. I'd buy one.
SP3 finally gets almost everything right. In a sane world ms would be working with Valve on Windows steam machines that still have some sort of productivity and non gaming entertainment factor.

drgambit

Banned
Maybe MS should actually build PCs?
Surface is pretty amazing hardware. They could release different power options (like a basic, an elite and a pro for hardcore gamers). Kind of like Steam machines but with full versions of Windows installed. I'd buy one.

I think the Xbone was supposed to be the 'Microsoft PC', however with all the 180s its back to just being a gaming console.

gaming_noob

Based on the initial reveal it appeared Microsoft was aiming for a different target market than the 360's...it was very confusing. At the time I know most people just wanted to know how powerful it was going to be compared to the PS4 after months of speculation - at least I was. More expensive, less powerful, harder to develop games, Kinect... Their strategic team is out of the loop.

Y2Kev

Yeah this thread is misleading. Unless someone wants to calculate the actual margin (which I don't think Microsoft has ever disclosed) I am going to lock it.

JaggedSac

When you put it in perspective, Xbox really is a pimple on microsoft's ass. Even this huge loss is tiny. The upside potential is just so limited for a company where gross margins are sky high and revenues are in the tens of billions on a quarterly basis. I'll never get it. Whatever.

Interestingly enough, just in terms of revenue, the XBox Platform(which is minus 1st party software and XBox Live transactions) generates 10% of MS' revenue as a whole.

XBox Platform-----$8,643
MS--------------------$86,833

Yes, it is changes in margin, but in both cases they specifically say Xbox One is the major factor for the changes in Xbox revenue. Overall the changes contributed to a $400m erosion in the gross margin.

There's been lots of speculation that Satya Nadella isn't interested in doubling down on unprofitable hardware anymore like previous CEO's were.

I doubt they are going to drop the price even further like a lot of people are expecting them to.
Yet keeps pushing Surface which lost 1.7billion so far.

I won't believe that until Surface and Bing go bye-bye

Y2Kev

as I mentioned, if you want an "erosion of gross margin" thread you can do that. Otherwise I think this is not accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom