• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One NAT/UPnP issues - one year in and they're still not fixed.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I find Bridge mode fixes most Live issues too. If you can wrangle up another router, switch your main one to bridge mode and let it feed the second one.

this in theory does nothing. it simply introduces an additional link in the chain between the router doing NAT and your cable modem. the more likely effect is that you are using the different router.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
this in theory does nothing. it simply introduces an additional link in the chain between the router doing NAT and your cable modem. the more likely effect is that you are using the different router.

I can only speak from experience.

I was having open Nat issues and my mate couldn't do ANYTHING with his box. It couldn't even connect to live. Everything has been perfect for both of us since Bridge mode. Make of that what you will.

Sorry, OP, but there is something wrong with your ISP/Router or whatever. It is NOT a General XBOX ONE Problem. Please just stop.

I did The advanced network test and HAVE instant on activated all The time and This is what I get:

wp_20141112_23_22_03_d7sne.jpg

This is German and stands for:

Your Console is NOT behind a Cone NAT.

Also, make sure that your Router does NOT block Teredo-Packages.

iMax

You're not 100% right in your description.

Open/Type 1 means that, as far as your console can tell, there is "nothing" between it and the internet. Open indicates that your console doesn't even need to worry about UPnP because whatever device is your gateway is already handling it (public IP routing, DMZ, port forwarding, etc)

Moderate/Type 2 means that, as far as your console can tell, it has full access to the Internet, but there IS in fact a gateway between it and the Internet handling UPnP requests. Working properly your console should still connect flawlessly, it just knows and has to work (properly) with the gateway to access the internet.

also as others have pointed out, more than likely the issue exists with your router, not your XBONE. Get a quality router.

just stop. moderate is perfectly fine for every modern game. The issue isn't "moderate". it's that your router is not handling things properly. The problem is your router, not the XBONE.

what routers specifically did you try? I don't suppose you actually tried any high quality ones in the $160-200 range?

FWIW, my poor wifi struggled on an Apple Airport Express which is classified as a "decent but not great" router. Speed issues, not really connectivity issues, but definitely speed and range issues. I upgraded it to the current Airport Extreme (802.11ac one) and I have zero wifi/speed/connectivity issues. This is with tons of game systems, phones, tablets, laptops/desktops, etc.. I think at any given time I have probably 12-15 leases handed out.

This isn't correct.

Type 1/2 (PS4) = 'Open' (Xbox One) [*Type 2 refers to connections behind a router/gateway; Xbox doesn't distinguish between this and direct-connections]

Additionally, all of my moderate NAT issues have been resolved by flushing the NAT table on my router. They only happen occasionally, much less now.

It opens for me at times then goes back to strict when i turn it off - it's super annoying, I know how to fix it but it just decides when it want to open or not itself. it'll stay open all day until i turn it off and i'll have to reset to get it back on.

It's probably one of the most annoying things about X1

Thanks OP. This makes a lot of sense and explains why my XBOX ONE often has a Moderate NAT.

I have it set up with a static IP address assigned by my Verizon ActionTec FiOS router (ethernet). The router admin settings page for UPnP has an option, which is checked by default, "Enable Automatic Cleanup of Old Unused UPnP Services". This is probably why my XBOX ONE gets bounced back to a moderate NAT.

Those who aren't having issues simply have routers that don't do this automatic cleanup of old UPnP services.

I unchecked "Enable Automatic Cleanup of Old Unused UPnP Services" and will see if that keeps my Xbox in Open NAT permanently, since I don't really want to turn off Instant-On mode.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/nat-error-solution notes that the NAT type in Network Settings is only updated by doing the LB+LR+RB+LR code.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
It definitely is an XBONE problem, due to the fact that I have strict NAT on XBONE and open on 360. I have tried: opening ports, DMZ, firewalls, messing with UNuP or whatever it is called, and that holding LT + LB + RT + RB, and it has done nothing! Can't play games with friends, can only talk to them through Skype.

Instant-on is a joke. It's like trying to run sleep mode and never rebooting in the Windows 98 days. Living with 30 seconds of boot time for "energy saver" hasn't been the worst thing ever, the only painful thing are those forced firmware updates that don't get pushed through when it's off. That part is a bit too ps3-esque for my tastes. But still, much better than dealing with the instant-on jank.

iMax

Instant-on is a joke. It's like trying to run sleep mode and never rebooting in the Windows 98 days. Living with 30 seconds of boot time for "energy saver" hasn't been the worst thing ever, the only painful thing are those forced firmware updates that don't get pushed through when it's off. That part is a bit too ps3-esque for my tastes. But still, much better than dealing with the instant-on jank.

I'm convinced it's fucking with the RAM too. Apps are taking ages to launch. Even when I try to snap an app, I have to wait about 40secs before it'll let me pick an app to actually snap.

Of course, a hard reset fixes it. Temporarily.

I ended up DMZing my Xbox One to get consistent performance, but I have another Xbox One and an Xbox 360 that would like to be DMZ'd too, so I'm not certain what a good approach is. It seems insane that users need to deal with any of this. Every time I go into my router's settings I feel like developers around the world have failed.

iMax

I ended up DMZing my Xbox One to get consistent performance, but I have another Xbox One and an Xbox 360 that would like to be DMZ'd too, so I'm not certain what a good approach is. It seems insane that users need to deal with any of this. Every time I go into my router's settings I feel like developers around the world have failed.

If you have multiple systems, UPnP is basically your only solution.

dwells

Sorry, OP, but there is something wrong with your ISP/Router or whatever. It is NOT a General XBOX ONE Problem. Please just stop.

Once again, as mentioned before, the issue presents differently on some routers that hold onto the reservations for longer. It is a bug with the Xbox One not renewing its leases when waking from Instant On sleep.

Please read the thread before presenting false information. Given your assertion of "ISP/Router or whatever," it sounds likely that you don't understand the networking concepts at hand.

dwells

Those who aren't having issues simply have routers that don't do this automatic cleanup of old UPnP services.

I unchecked "Enable Automatic Cleanup of Old Unused UPnP Services" and will see if that keeps my Xbox in Open NAT permanently, since I don't really want to turn off Instant-On mode.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/nat-error-solution notes that the NAT type in Network Settings is only updated by doing the LB+LR+RB+LR code.

Yep. Provided your console's IP address doesn't change, your tweak should resolve the issue.

Unfortunately this isn't an appropriate implementation of UPnP and could result in issues for other devices, but it's necessitated by the Xbox's failure to properly act as a UPnP client.

KePoW

Banned

This is the true solution in this thread. Who cares about instant-on mode, just to save a little time with patching?

I think I'm going to turn instant on to off now thanks op.

Was trying to fiddle with ports last night to no success. I did this just fine for ps3/360 and my ps4 gives no problems and is always open. Xbox one was strict a lot of the time.

Using Asus rt-n66u.

Derpcrawler

DD-WRT seems spotty with Xbox One UPnP. How well it works depends on both the length of reservations/expiration period on the router's UPnP system and, I'm guessing, how frequently you use/boot your Xbox One.

I've recreated the issue on asuswrt-merlin, stock Asus firmware, and a build of Tomato thus far.

I never turn off my Xbox One, sometimes it's up for weeks straight. Uptime on my DD-WRT router is 128 days, uptime on WAN connection (through PPPoE from fiber modem) is 67 days. UPnP settings set to flush table at startup, which doesn't say much since I didn't restart router since last DD-WRT update.

Running WNDR3700v2. Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/23/14) std.

It's always open, on both Xbox One and PS4, I never ever saw Moderate or Type 3 on PS3/4 even once.

I had issues with my nat during the early days of 360. Port forwarding was never a permanent fix for me. Finally when i got FiOS I didn't have to worry cause UPnP worked compared to other routers I had. While using my ps3 and ps4 I have always had an open nat. Now just getting an xbone last week I run into a strict nat at first. Didnt think i would have to deal with this again. So i tried port forwarding and it gave me moderate. I then tried the DMZ and it worked BUT went back to strict eventually. I think discovered that Verizon removed the UPnP settings page from my router during an update. So I had to find a hidden link that sent me to it and disable it. After doing so I have been opened since. Also my friends who been on xbone since launch never mention these issues and yet they still suffer from it. Something is wrong with live. I dont give a shit if Live is more robust than PSN. These chat issues and connectivity are terrible for the user.

Str1ke4

Ive almost always had Moderate NAT on xbox 360 but on Xbox one i have had Open NAT since launch so i have no complaints

Sorry you can't cant configure your network properly op.

Thanks for that input. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to how his network is misconfigured? What steps does he need to take to fix it?

I don't think you can be any clearer about a situation than the OP has in this thread and he's detailed the exact problem and solution as succinctly as you possibly could. Seems like a pretty simple fix from the MS side too.

This problem is driving me nuts as well. My 360 , PS3 and PS4 all have open Nats with no issue. But I had to put my Xbox One in DMZ to get open nat, but now I have a second Xbox One in the bedroom and am now faced with open nat, moderate nat, open nat etc etc on a random basis.

This is probably a very dumb question, admittedly, I'm a novice at such things. My xbox says my nat is open (in system), however if I load a game such as Call of Duty AW it says nat type Moderate. Why is that? Does disabling instant on fix it?

I've looked at youtube videos and frankly they aren't helpful or are out of my depth.

What? This is wrong. Instant-on updates everything., even The OS. The xbox button on The console flashes, when The console updates.
Also, there Are no mandatory updates. You Can skip/cancel them. You just have to stay offline.

I was talking about Energy Saver there. Detailing the downsides of using it instead of Instant-On. It was in the first half of the sentence.

This is the true solution in this thread. Who cares about instant-on mode, just to save a little time with patching?
I definitely care about it. Quick resume for games is great, and while my console has occasionally not downloaded an update automatically (I'm in the preview program though, so I don't know if that's why), it's always installed updates for games/apps and games that I've queued up remotely. Some of the game updates can be huge, so it's nice to rarely ever see that update screen when you launch a game.

I was talking about Energy Saver there. Detailing the downsides of using it instead of Instant-On. It was in the first half of the sentence.

Ah, I see. Well, the best part about instant-on is Suspend/Resume. And Suspend/Resume is not a joke and not a Windows 98-thing. Its actually my most anticipated nextgen Feature.
Also, you will never see an update-Screen again, if you turn instant-on on. :)

Yes, but my Xbox will fail to refresh its ports via UPnP causing me connectivity problems, along with the general performance issues that seem to come from various bugs in the OS. It's very much like Windows 98 sleep mode. Great in theory, but in practice you end up with a much more stable system if you just do a real reboot.

Onikaan

I'm trying to do this right now. But I keep getting the message Cannot get a Teredo IP address. Any ideas?

I'm trying to do this right now. But I keep getting the message Cannot get a Teredo IP address. Any ideas?
I got that message a long time ago and fixed it by hard resetting my router and the Xbox one.

It depends on your router though as some routers such as Airport consider Teredo a security risk and block it by default. Try posting your model of router and you might get someone who recognizes it.

Edit: there are troubleshooting steps for the teredo thing at
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/multiplayer-connection-error-solution

So I checked this out, and lo and behold I had a Strict NAT on my Xbox One. Turned off Instant On and now the NAT Type is Open.

I have a DIR-827 (also known as the D-Link Media 2000 Router I think).

I wonder if this Strict NAT issue is having affect on people trying to play Halo... maybe thats part of the reason why the matchmaking is so broken?

iMax

So I checked this out, and lo and behold I had a Strict NAT on my Xbox One. Turned off Instant On and now the NAT Type is Open.

I have a DIR-827 (also known as the D-Link Media 2000 Router I think).

I wonder if this Strict NAT issue is having affect on people trying to play Halo... maybe thats part of the reason why the matchmaking is so broken?

Halo: MCC uses dedis.

Borghe is correct. A moderate NAT does not necessarily mean there is a problem. I've had a moderate NAT since day one with 0 issues. Of course results will vary depending on type of router and setup.

Borghe is correct. A moderate NAT does not necessarily mean there is a problem. I've had a moderate NAT since day one with 0 issues. Of course results will vary depending on type of router and setup.
Microsoft disagrees with this. Their official troubleshooting page for Xbox One networking says:
With a MODERATE NAT type, you’re able to chat and play multiplayer games with some people; however, you might not be able to hear or play with others, and normally you won’t be chosen as the host of a match.

BokehKing

Banned
I had open NATS on my ps4, ps3 and 360
My x1
Lolnope

I may get it to go to Open, but it quickly reverts back to Moderate, people use to tell me 'but the cloud it doesn't matter"

Reassuring to read now it's a bug

After much struggle, I finally configured my two routers in a way that would allow for an open nat, set the dsl modem/router to bridge mode and fed it to router #2 gave me a moderate nat, port forwarding on top of that gave me an open nat.

Hurray! Or so I thought....

Despite it giving me an open nat/you are behind a cone nat I still suffer from the same exact symptoms of strict nat, cant connect to several players, cant join anyone's chat party.

Upnp on and

Im really out of options here, I've spent the whole weekend pulling hair out over this and I just can't figure it out.

After much struggle, I finally configured my two routers in a way that would allow for an open nat, set the dsl modem/router to bridge mode and fed it to router #2 gave me a moderate nat, port forwarding on top of that gave me an open nat.

Hurray! Or so I thought....

Despite it giving me an open nat/you are behind a cone nat I still suffer from the same exact symptoms of strict nat, cant connect to several players, cant join anyone's chat party.

Upnp on and

Im really out of options here, I've spent the whole weekend pulling hair out over this and I just can't figure it out.
If upnp is on then you shouldn't need the port forwarding. Try removing all manual port forwarding rules and power cycling the network equipment and Xbox.

Why are you using two routers? You're more likely to get better results with just the DSL gateway, a second router only complicates the network topology.

Thanks. Did number 2 and my NAT immediately switched to open. My NAT info screen reads "Your network is behind a port-symmetric NAT"

I'm gonna need to look that one up.

Fake edit: When I back out to the network screen it shows my NAT has gone back to strict. Hm?

sinnergy

As far as I tested, setting the machine in energy savings doesn't help.

Instead forward all the Xbox live ports in your router. Run the network test, followed by the multiplayer test and hit, lt, rt, lb,rb and wait, go back, your nat should be open. (could even be that the network test isn't necessary )

dwells

Is anyone aware of who to contact at Microsoft that would actually result in this issue being investigated and resolved?

Disable UPNP as it is just asking to be exploited, set a static IP (and a reservation on DHCP for the mac address) and forward your ports normally.

This is really simple to do and is well documented online for every major router out there.

You will be constantly open after that and have no security vulnerabilities on your router anymore.

JackHerer

It seems like this may be compounding the matchmaking issues with the Master Chief Collection. I'm getting into matches now that I reset everything. I've been using instant-on most of the time.

Top Bottom