• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S: 40% smaller, 2TB, 4K for movies/tv, internal PSU, $300

Should be any time now. There was just recently a DLNA consortium meeting where they agreed on HDMI 2.0.1 which features a roll back option of HDCP 2.1 compliant stream between two endpoints using different standards, plus the recent OS update introduced basic libraries for access from the North Bridge via the WC buffers to secure System Memory.

Joking. I have no understanding what any of those words even mean.

Best Jeff Rigby impersonation I've seen all year.

4K Blu Ray players now aren't anywhere near as expensive as Blu Ray players were in 2006 so yeah -- definitely not.

Yeah, I saw that. "Perfect" in my opinion would be 2 TB slim at $349, 1 TB slim at $299, and a $50 drop for original Xbox One models/SKUs.

So you're honestly expecting full UHD Bly-Ray support as well as being a games console and coming with a 2TB HDD for less than the price of a standalone UHD player?

Good luck with that.

+ 2TB drive. Finally (should have been in the launch units, 500GB is laughably inadequate).

+ Price (assuming it starts at $349 or less this should be a winner).

It does give me a wry smile when I see comments like this. What would a 2TB drive have done to the price tag of Xbox One at launch?

Bgamer90

Banned
So you're honestly expecting full UHD Bly-Ray support as well as being a games console and coming with a 2TB HDD for less than the price of a standalone UHD player?

Good luck with that.

Anything over $399 would be stupid if MS wants a new slim model to take off so yep.

Swass

I'll trade up if GameStop offers a high price for the trade in of the fat Xbox One like they did the launch 360 when the Elite came out and also if Microsoft didn't ditch the Kinect and HDMI in ports. I have a sneaking suspicion though that one if not both ports may be gone on the slim though.

Zooport

Neo Member
So is the 2TB console referenced in this pic referring the S? $449 seems mighty steep to me.

D8of67x.jpg

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
It does give me a wry smile when I see comments like this. What would a 2TB drive have done to the price tag of Xbox One at launch?

Well, they were trying to enforce an all digital future with a 500 GB (330 useable) HDD and launch games weighing up to 55 GB. 500 GB was stupid. Back then HDDs were not much more expensive, prices have been pretty stable for standard HDDs.

sphinx

the piano man
So is the 2TB console referenced in this pic referring the S? $449 seems mighty steep to me.

regardless of the picture, I don't think MS is expecting the poor and saavy to run and buy the new slick, slim X1 console on day one.

target audience is basically men who love technology and have disposable income. they can pay $449 without much effort for their hobby. In fact most of GAF's X1 slim buyers, and PSVR buyers are exactly that.

they can reduce the price later to get more people on board.

EvB

regardless of the picture, I don't think MS is expecting the poor and saavy to run and buy the new slick, slim X1 console on day one.

target audience is basically men who love technology and have disposable income. they can pay $449 without much effort for their hobby. In fact most of GAF's X1 slim buyers, and PSVR buyers are exactly that.

Or just rely on there suddenly being a load of preowned 1st gen Xbones now in circulation, now at a reduced cost

Zooport

Neo Member

I agree, they can justify that price if it's a dedicated UHDBD player like it's been said earlier in the thread. UHD players are all about that price or more right now.

It's clearly marketed for a specific audience and it's one that will definitely buy it at that price if it is legit, though couldn't it be less if that's just the SRP or even place holder like the date they have listed next to it?

ekim

What's the backstory of the pic? Been trying to find out if it's legit, the source wasn't posted where I found it and no one seemed to have an answer.

For a starter the SKU number on the Picture is currently used for a Batman Hoodie.

Yeah, I saw that. "Perfect" in my opinion would be 2 TB slim at $349, 1 TB slim at $299, and a $50 drop for original Xbox One models/SKUs.

This would not only be "perfect" but actually the only reasonable pricing, too. Anything above 299$ for the starter model including a game is not going to help.

madmackem

I just don't get it if this is more than the current price, it plays the same games etc and the point of a slim version is to cut costs of production stimulate sales, coming in above current price when you need something to stem the tide of ps4 I just don't get what it does. That's why I think this is going to be the current price of the Xbox with old version slashed to shift stock.

Considering I bought my new PS4 in November for £220 with the Uncharted Collection, I don't see how having a slim going for £249 or above will significantly increase Xbone sales.

Clearly, it's addressing many of the image issues that the original Xbone has suffered, but with a new, more powerful console on the horizon that is apparently BC, I would have thought taking a financial hit on the slim would be a great way to hook people back into the Xbox eco-system ready for Scorpio. Sell it for £199 and I can see plenty jumping on it, even just as a handy 2nd console to own.

Then, when Scorpio releases, people might jump because the cheap price means they don't feel burned by their slim purchase and they have built up a library they want to carry over/upgrade.

I just don't see £249 as appealing enough as a price to convince those who are yet to get a new console to opt for the Xbox instead of a PS4, or for those PS4 owners to buy on a whim as an exclusives box.

Three

Can someone explain HDR to me in the context of why it's a bullet point for a video game console?

This is what I would like to know too. Maybe they finally got rid of the black crush on the XB1 and consider it HDR? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe they mean some kind of hard drive recording.

Have no idea

madmackem

Can someone explain HDR to me in the context of why it's a bullet point for a video game console?
I think it stands for high dynamic range, leads to blacker blacks and whiter whites but you're tv has to support it new 4K sets have it. Be shocked if it means anything for the gaming side of the console it will be for the video playback.

Caayn

HDR in this sense is nothing more than supporting the output for it, i.e. supporting HDMI 2.0a or Displayport 1.4 (displayport probably won't be used on the XB1 S).

EmSeta

Form factor looks a lot better than the original Xbone. But I'm tempted to hold out for the Scorpio, if it's as real as people here make it seem.

Maybe that pic is real and is reference of a hyper deluxe SKU. Like with an elite controller + big holiday game packed in.

But yeah, for me the general price of this thing needs to be $299. With a UHD blu ray player included it would be an attractive piece of kit.

If the price starts going higher than that things start getting very meh. I'm sure MS want to increase XB1 sales not stall them.

Inviusx

I think it stands for high dynamic range, leads to blacker blacks and whiter whites but you're tv has to support it new 4K sets have it. Be shocked if it means anything for the gaming side of the console it will be for the video playback.

HDR in this sense is nothing more than supporting the output for it, i.e. supporting HDMI 2.0a or Displayport 1.4 (displayport probably won't be used on the XB1 S).

Ok so essentially HDR is something that new TV's can display and the Xbox will output that to a supporting TV and it's essentially blacker blacks & whiter whites. Gotcha!

Thanks!

*Edit*

That's actually awesome, thanks.

As a current PS4 and XBox One owner, I have to say I'm seriously considering purchasing this when it releases here. It'll compliment my 4k TV nicely. Might have to postpone the wedding a month if I do end up getting this though, I wonder how the fiance will take it...

It looks much nicer. Would have liked to see it in black too but I'm sure that'll be announced down the line.

Liking the additions and bigger storage. I'd like to have seen a complete rebrand though but that doesn't seem to be the case. A complete fresh start could do wonders. I'm not sure a slim console (possibly more expensive one) alone is going to change too much but it's a start.

madmackem

Maybe that pic is real and is reference of a hyper deluxe SKU. Like with an elite controller + big holiday game packed in.

But yeah, for me the general price of this thing needs to be $299. With a UHD blu ray player included it would be an attractive piece of kit.

If the price starts going higher than that things start getting very meh. I'm sure MS want to increase XB1 sales not stall them.
That's my feelings too, ms want to stimulate Xbox sales, bringing out a slimmer but at its core the same machine for more money just doesn't make sense.

Chris1

That's my feelings too, ms want to stimulate Xbox sales, bringing out a slimmer but at its core the same machine for more money just doesn't make sense.

Yep

This can't be any more than $299

Unless they're bringing out one with just a standard blu ray drive aswell with the 4k drive model being more expensive

Three

Are you sure? I wouldn't be surprised because HDR would require a boost to the ESRAM since you would have a bigger framebuffer size. The XB1 design had a real issue with even the standard 255 range with some games having considerable black crush. The internals must be different in some way to support real HDR like more ESRAM or different kind of memory so you are probably right.

Swass

Ok so essentially HDR is something that new TV's can display and the Xbox will output that to a supporting TV and it's essentially blacker blacks & whiter whites. Gotcha!

Thanks!

*Edit*

That's actually awesome, thanks.

Should be interesting if on a HDR enabled TV with the Xbox One S if the "black crush" is gone.. that alone could make the upgrade worth it.

shanew21

Yep

This can't be any more than $299

Unless they're bringing out one with just a standard blu ray drive aswell with the 4k drive model being more expensive

This is my thought. Standard slim at 1TB, standard Blu Ray drive, 4K Streaming, $299. Pro model with UHD Blu-Ray, 2TB, $399 or $449.

Top Bottom