• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

I'm pretty surprised Sony hasn't stepped up and announced something yet. I know the rumors have been that they're announcing Neo at an upcoming games show, but getting out in front of the release of this would do some damage (I realize that they are fine without it, and that One S isn't going to be a savior for MS).

I know that I'd certainly hold out until October/Nov for a Neo if I knew what was coming, but without a guarantee they have something releasing this year I'll be jumping on this UHD Bluray and Xbox Play Anywhere for $299.99.

Frankly, the more I read up on HDR the more I'm glad I decided to leave it for a couple of years for it to be fully fleshed out. I mean read this article: http://4k.com/news/a-clarification-...andard-sony-4k-hdr-and-other-hdr-types-14436/

What the hell Sony!? Way to confuse people already confused....

Yea I've been doing lots of reading and research to fully understand what all these new technologies are and mostly to get bang for my buck.

My criteria for any 4ktv I purchase is that it must have HDR (either HDR10 or DV) 65inches or bigger, must have hdmi 2.0a inputs, hdcp 2.2, 30ms or lower input lag while in game mode. All these things I had no idea about. For example the hdmi 1.4 standard doesn't support 4K at 60hz but hdmi 2.0 does and things like this.

Honestly I'm waiting until 2017 to get a set but the Samsung KS8000 is mighty appealing to me. If the price is right during Black Friday/Cyber Monday I may bite.

The Sony Z9D looks to be amazing as well. The price tag is what pushes me away. Still waiting to read reviews about it.

THE:MILKMAN

The joy of companies wanting to push through their own stupid label.

Sony doing their own thing isn't new or surprising with some of the proprietary stuff they've done but here they are a member of the UHDA that set the damn standards and the logo to go with it!

I fail to see or understand the point of them doing their own thing. Philips are the other rogue not using the UHDP logo.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I can't decide on what to do. Whether to buy it or not, or what model to get.
Trade in your current Xbox One at EB today and get $225 which is $254 after tax. Add $200 and boom, you got a sleek new Xbox One S.
Today's the last day so hurry.

SenkiDala

I'm pretty surprised Sony hasn't stepped up and announced something yet. I know the rumors have been that they're announcing Neo at an upcoming games show, but getting out in front of the release of this would do some damage (I realize that they are fine without it, and that One S isn't going to be a savior for MS).

I know that I'd certainly hold out until October/Nov for a Neo if I knew what was coming, but without a guarantee they have something releasing this year I'll be jumping on this UHD Bluray and Xbox Play Anywhere for $299.99.

Well, the position of Sony and MS are not the same, the Scorpio will be out only at the end of 2017, making the Neo avalaible 1 year before that, to "fight" the Neo MS needs something, this something is the XO S. Sony has no reason to release something before the Neo... I mean, it will likely releases in October, it's just 2 months/2 months half after the XO S, Sony won't suffer from this new MS console, at all.

Do you have an HDR TV? Do you need more HDD space (ie still rocking the 500gb original?)? If not, maybe stick with the original.
That said, the small size, low power consumption, new controller, and fresh warranty are also attractive.

Trade in your current Xbox One at EB today and get $225 which is $254 after tax. Add $200 and boom, you got a sleek new Xbox One S.
Today's the last day so hurry.

That's a thought. Though I have the Elite version with the 1TB drive. As much as I want the S, I don't think it's worth it.

Flux

Would it be worth upgrading to the 500G Xbox One S if I'm planning on purchasing the Scorpio next year? I got the Day One Xbox One and it's beginning to crap itself, especially when it comes to the disc tray; it jams itself every now and again and always has trouble reading discs. I think my warranty deal still is active for a little longer, but if that falls through, should I pick this up or just deal with it for another year?

Those sound like legit reasons. Do you have a 4k TV or plan on getting any other consoles in the near future (PS4 Neo or the NX)? If you don't have any other expenditures it would be a good idea if the console is not working properly.

I think I'm getting the 500 GB model and the Scorpio when that launches. I have an external drive that solves all my storage needs.

Well, the position of Sony and MS are not the same, the Scorpio will be out only at the end of 2017, making the Neo avalaible 1 year before that, to "fight" the Neo MS needs something, this something is the XO S. Sony has no reason to release something before the Neo... I mean, it will likely releases in October, it's just 2 months/2 months half after the XO S, Sony won't suffer from this new MS console, at all.

Right, that's not what I was getting at.

In all likelihood, most customers will buy one console this year. At this point the new console out is the One S. Sony would have a chance to steal some of those buyers away from MS by officially announcing the NEO and release date. Sony has a lot going on at the end of the year and allowing MS to get some of that hardware $$$ isn't the best strategy. Like I said, I am a consumer that could be swayed to the Neo, but I am looking for UHD soon. Since I don't have any info from Sony and the One S launches in two days, I will be going with that.

The surprise for me is that Sony didn't release anything concrete to take some wind out of the One S sails(sales). Again, not that they need to, not that the One S is the second coming, etc, but it will have an impact on sales...see my situation.

Those sound like legit reasons. Do you have a 4k TV or plan on getting any other consoles in the near future (PS4 Neo or the NX)? If you don't have any other expenditures it would be a good idea if the console is not working properly.

I think I'm getting the 500 GB model and the Scorpio when that launches. I have an external drive that solves all my storage needs.

I have a 1080p TV at home and a smaller 1080p TV I bought for college, but seeing how 4K is becoming more affordable I may end up getting one in the future, but definitely not before the Scorpio launches.

I've thought about getting a PS4, but I have very few friends who use it. Naughty Dog and Kojima games make it tempting, though. I don't have any plans for buying one, however, and am content with one console; college makes having two difficult.

If I traded my 500GB Xbox One into GameStop, I could knock off $100, but I don't know if $200 for a year with an improved system would be worth the cost. However, if I end up not getting the Scorpio a year from now, then I'd probably regret passing on a new $200 system. I guess I'll have to think do some more research and wait for impressions when the 2TB launches.

Edit: Oh the vertical stand would be great for college, the big clunker took up way too much room on my desk.

Saiyan-Rox

Like me I can't decide wither to get that awesome looking halo console or just go for the S

Isn't even a release for the 500GB here in the UK and I have no use for more than that

Bessy67

You already have a Xbox One, right? This was my thought process on the matter:

1) Do you have or do you plan on getting a 4K HDR TV? If yes, get one. If no, don't bother
2) Do you have an external hard drive? If yes, get the cheapest 500 gig version. If no, get the cheapest 500 gig version and buy an external HD

Xenoflare

Btw how is the official play and charge kit? I remember the 360 ones sucked big time on both the battery and the charging cable, exchanged it twice and ended up returning it

Ulysses 31

You already have a Xbox One, right? This was my thought process on the matter:

1) Do you have or do you plan on getting a 4K HDR TV? If yes, get one. If no, don't bother
2) Do you have an external hard drive? If yes, get the cheapest 500 gig version. If no, get the cheapest 500 gig version and buy an external HD

3) Do you have money to burn
like me
? If yes, get the 2TB version.

Ascenion

So I'm going to try to pick one up Tuesday, my issue is I'm also going to get a new 4K TV for the HDR. Picking that shit is hard. These things are complicated but my crappy LG 4K has to go.

Bessy67

So I'm going to try to pick one up Tuesday, my issue is I'm also going to get a new 4K TV for the HDR. Picking that shit is hard. These things are complicated but my crappy LG 4K has to go.
If you've got the cash then go for one of the new LG OLEDs. Otherwise some really nice semi-budget sets are the Samsung KS8000 and Vizio P.

I have been on the look out for HDR tvs but I am fine with my regular old 4k tv for now. Maybe if HDR starts getting adapted a lot more

For those who generally have terrible taste, yeah I could see that being the case.

raw

very excited for xbox one S .. me and the family are ready. the 2tb will be great for our library of games.

Just incase you didn't know you can also have external HDD's plugged in for more storage as well.

This seems like the right place to ask. I'm looking for a tv to pair with the S on Tuesday.

Budget: $2k
Size: 60" or higher

What brand and model should I look at? Ideally I want 65". Any deals?

This seems like the right place to ask. I'm looking for a tv to pair with the S on Tuesday.

Budget: $2k
Size: 60" or higher

What brand and model should I look at? Ideally I want 65". Any deals?

You may be able to find last year's JS9000 for around that price. Awesome gaming TV.

Yea I've been looking too and every time I think I've found the best one for the best price I read about missing features, or how the colors and blacks of another are better, or that it's not really 120 Hz and so on. I'm just looking for a nice 43" to replace my 40" Samsung 1080p in my gaming room. I can't find many in that size that have HDR but I'm not even sure it matters with the smaller TV's.

It's still early days and I'm learning but definitely looking forward to upgrading.

I caved and ordered one on Amazon a little while ago. The design is just so sleek and I love that white. I also don't plan on getting Scorpio as soon as it comes out, so I'll be in no hurry to replace this one. Will finally get to replay Red Dead and by the end of the month RE4 will be out.

PrinceKee

I'm still getting an Xbox one S even though my 4K Vizio doesn't do HDR. I didn't even know what HDR was when I bought my tv last Black Friday...

Zimmy68

Q: Does the new Xbox One S finally support lossless audio formats including dts hd, Dolby True HD, Dolby Atmos, etc?

A; NOPE

Right, that's not what I was getting at.

In all likelihood, most customers will buy one console this year. At this point the new console out is the One S. Sony would have a chance to steal some of those buyers away from MS by officially announcing the NEO and release date. Sony has a lot going on at the end of the year and allowing MS to get some of that hardware $$$ isn't the best strategy. Like I said, I am a consumer that could be swayed to the Neo, but I am looking for UHD soon. Since I don't have any info from Sony and the One S launches in two days, I will be going with that.

The surprise for me is that Sony didn't release anything concrete to take some wind out of the One S sails(sales). Again, not that they need to, not that the One S is the second coming, etc, but it will have an impact on sales...see my situation.

Well it's not like Xbox One S price is going to increase so it will still be $299 in October. Your impatience could bite you in the ass. This is just an Xbox with UHD support. Neo is a much more powerful PS4 with UHD support(that bitstreams audio with Atmos support) for probably $100 more. Not many people are buying consoles in August to October anyway. If Neo is available for the holiday season then that's all that matters. As someone who owned the Samsung 4K player, I can say that there is little content available at the moment to justify the cost. Some people are even buying 4K versions of movies they don't even like because of the lack of content. It will be a different story towards the end of the year.

I've held off on an XBONE this long, but the announcement of the S had me hooked. Fully fledged UHD Player and a gaming system? Sold!

Then I learned it won't bitstream High Resolution Lossless audio, so those Atmos soundtracks that studios have been holding back from releasing on Blu-ray to favour UHD suddenly become inaccessible on the XBONE S?

Microsoft, what are you thinking? You refuse to bitstream High Resolution audio...why exactly? So that you can ensure I'm notified with a sound when some jackass signs onto LIVE while I"m watching a movie?

Grrrrrr. I'll probably sit out two Microsoft consoles now at this rate.

Did the industry initially release DVD players that couldn't pass along DTS? Is there precedent for this?

Well it's not like Xbox One S price is going to increase so it will still be $299 in October. Your impatience could bite you in the ass. This is just an Xbox with UHD support. Neo is a much more powerful PS4 with UHD support(that bitstreams audio with Atmos support) for probably $100 more. Not many people are buying consoles in August to October anyway. If Neo is available for the holiday season then that's all that matters. As someone who owned the Samsung 4K player, I can say that there is little content available at the moment to justify the cost. Some people are even buying 4K versions of movies they don't even like because of the lack of content. It will be a different story towards the end of the year.

I'm playing on PC 99% of the time. Interested in the Neo for the UHD BluRay and maybe trying out some exclusives I've missed recently. Xbox has Play Anywhere, which is a selling point for me too. Point being, if I had concrete info on the Neo at this point, I'd lean that way. With no info out, I'll jump on what's available. As, I assume, a lot of the lesser informed public will. Not everyone tracks the rumors like the Neogaf people, and a lot of folks will jump on the $299 UHD player.

I'm not going to cry about it if Sony releases awesomness at the end of the month. It just seems like the cut-throat business decision would have been to unveil the Neo now and ensure people looking to grab a new console pick up yours(the superior product). Waiting for a bunch of people to spend $399/299 and then asking them to spend $400 on the NEO and/or $400 on PSVR is odd.

Top Bottom