• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One September Update rolling out to the public today

Doffen

what does this mean? I thought the only gamerpics you could use on X1 were the garbage default ones

Look at my gamerpic, so glorious!

euU3TOL.png

link1201

I wonder if they got enough positive feedback about avatars to do more with them. I was surprised to see a survey about them a few days ago on the preview dashboard app.

ZeroCDR

Media capability is just as important as gaming in my home, so I'm definitely in the market for an Xbox One this holiday season. I'm ready to retire the PS3 media server.

El Sabroso

any word on USB requirements for play multimedia or any system file format will go? (like if needs to be NTFS or FAT32 is still a go)

Gowans

The friends tab still needs some work.

I love the 30 day gamerscore leaderboard but man if needs to show more than the top 4 and you.

Favourites filter, scroll all, etc.

Its lead to some great banter with some competitive mates tho.

Media capability is just as important as gaming in my home, so I'm definitely in the market for an Xbox One this holiday season. I'm ready to retire the PS3 media server.

You could have bought a Western Digital Streaming device that does everything better years ago. I bought one for $60.

Omni

I just want themes

It's so jarring going from the colourful 360 dashboard to the pitch black, dull Xbone dashboard.

Nonetheless. Can't wait to download this. Media features make me happy

RoKKeR

Themes, gamer pics from actual games, screenshot/Xbox record that on the controller, and background music are all still big must-haves for me but I'm loving the progress so far.

Hopefully the October preview introduces some of these.

Themes, gamer pics from actual games, screenshot/Xbox record that on the controller, and background music are all still big must-haves for me but I'm loving the progress so far.

Hopefully the October preview introduces some of these.

Use smartglass for the record that function,

Kssio_Aug

Wow, that was fast XD

But where's the snap center they promised?

I think that those implentations, such as snapcenter, friends tab and games activity feeds will be avaiable just on september (or whenever comes the next update).

I tried here the Media Player and it worked fine! But its not possible to snap it yet, I found that a bit disappoiniting! Hope that they add the snap function to it later, and also hope that the MKV support dont take long. =)

PedroRVD

Nice, I didn't even need to format my hard drive for the media player. It works perfectly!

I hope they add "skip forward/backdwards 5/10 seconds" in the future. Until then I will still have to use my super long HDMI cable to play videos from my laptop.

WiCkEd_Co

Yes media player. I can now unhook my 360. I was running it into the Xbox one hdmi input so I could watch stuff off a USB drive.

I had no more inputs on my TV for it so that was my work around.

Caayn

That will appear in a future release. The feature is still being tweaked.
Loving the friends tab so far.

But would love to see (more) options become available for the leaderboard such as highest overall GS, most achievements earned in the last 30 days(not GS but actual achievements), longest currently running achievement streak (each consecutive day that you get an achievement increases the streak).

I know it sounds stupid, but I'm really happy there will finally be a boot to tv option.

Nope, it isn't stupid at all. If any of the new features are things that you honestly feel further improve on your overall experience with the system, then there's nothing at all to be ashamed of in being happy about it. I was very happy about the boot to tv feature, as this is something I've wanted since my first month with the Xbox One.

Wait, is this the one with the mini-guide for TV watching?

Yes, and it's amazingly fast and slick! Press up on dpad, left analog stick or the view button to bring it up.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
The updates to this console have been fantastic. Keep 'em coming!

Yep, this really needs to be in the next update. Having to exit your game and load a separate friends app just to see who's online is an enormous step back from the Xbox 360.

You don't have to exit your game at all, you can just say "Xbox Go to Friends," and the game continues to run in the background. You can go right back to it whenever you want and it picks up wherever you left off. Or did you mean somehow being able to see who's online while being in the game at the same time, because to my knowledge that isn't what the friend's tab is. It's just a front and center spot on the dashboard to get information on your friends. It's similar to what the Pins, Store and Home sections are now. It's its own designated spot on the dashboard.

Hawk269

Nope, it isn't stupid at all. If any of the new features are things that you honestly feel further improve on your overall experience with the system, then there's nothing at all to be ashamed of in being happy about it. I was very happy about the boot to tv feature, as this is something I've wanted since my first month with the Xbox One.

Yes, and it's amazingly fast and slick! Press up on dpad, left analog stick or the view button to bring it up.

I agree. We have two Xbox One's in our house and my Wife loves the boot to TV feature. In my game room, I have it boot to the dashboard since I don't watch a lot of TV in the game room, on occasion, but not enough to have it boot to it.

I just hope they keep this up for a bit. There are still some major things that need to be worked on:

* Improve Installation Time (Installing games from disk)
* Improve load times
* Screenshot function (Xbox Take Screen Shot & a way to do it with a controller for the non-Kinect users).
* Themes/Wall papers etc.
* Ability to easily re-arrange your pins on the system itself. not just through smartglass

weeeeezy

Banned
You don't have to exit your game at all, you can just say "Xbox Go to Friends," and the game continues to run in the background. You can go right back to it whenever you want and it picks up wherever you left off. Or did you mean somehow being able to see who's online while being in the game at the same time, because to my knowledge that isn't what the friend's tab is. It's just a front and center spot on the dashboard to get information on your friends. It's similar to what the Pins, Store and Home sections are now. It's its own designated spot on the dashboard.
I would like to be able to snap the friends app and be able to see who's online and what they are playing. From there I should be able to add them to my party.

any word on USB requirements for play multimedia or any system file format will go? (like if needs to be NTFS or FAT32 is still a go)

You likely wouldn't want to go fat 32 anyway, because of the file size transfer limitations. But, yes, it supports Fat32. Go with NTFS dude!

PedroRVD

Now they have to update the achievements system. "12421" , "75291" , it is just a number that doesn't matter anymore. Give us levels, ranks, special achievements that stand over the rest...this is something that Sony does better.

If they somehow refresh the system, then Xbox One will be my co-main console along the Mario Kart 8 console.

I'm loving the updates. Fantastic job! But Xbox One will forever be seen as the less capable next gen console...but it can be compensated, if they do something revolutionary and cool with achievements, something that actually makes games more fun, I will not care about resolution and frames anymore.

Also...The record button on Smartglass is an AMAZING addition!

Kssio_Aug

How does this upload app works? It is pretty damn slow here now, Im not sure if its a problem of the app itself after the update or ,in case if it works completely online, it is overloaded.
Edit: I think its my internet that seems to be extremely unstable right now.

Winter John

Gold Member
I've been pretty impressed with the way MS are handling their updates and these monthly announcements of what they're up to. It's certainly a big step forward from last year

I agree. We have two Xbox One's in our house and my Wife loves the boot to TV feature. In my game room, I have it boot to the dashboard since I don't watch a lot of TV in the game room, on occasion, but not enough to have it boot to it.

I just hope they keep this up for a bit. There are still some major things that need to be worked on:

* Improve Installation Time (Installing games from disk)
* Improve load times
* Screenshot function (Xbox Take Screen Shot & a way to do it with a controller for the non-Kinect users).
* Themes/Wall papers etc.
* Ability to easily re-arrange your pins on the system itself. not just through smartglass

There was an update focused on improvements to disc based installing (1408, I think), but I haven't personally tested it myself yet.

JaggedSac

I would like to be able to snap the friends app and be able to see who's online and what they are playing. From there I should be able to add them to my party.

I think that was added. Called snap center or some such. Made it kind of like the 360 guide button.

Edit: Or maybe that is in one of the next ones.

Time to plug the Xbone back in. It's finally the media hub I wanted :D

t's getting there, once DLNA and MKV through both USB devices and DLNA is there (just DLNA and MKV support is fine), then it will finally be a lot closer to what I hoped prior to launch. Then hopefully later some really solid subtitle and different channel audio control support.

Top Bottom