• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

I think it's clear but conflict to OP's support reply
I think what he mean is you need US(example) XBL account to connect to US Xbox Live then you can connect to Xbox Live even you live in china

And guys,it will release in Japan
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/11034700.html

yeah this is what it is like now - and you are right, it does conflict with what the support guy said.

If that is the current case, it shouldnt be a problem - however when it comes time for me to switch to make purchases with my UAE credit card, it may be.

jtb

Banned
Unsurprising. Microsoft's never had the infrastructure to pull off this kind of thing. That's why Apple mauled them in the MP3 market with the iPod and that's why Microsoft was completley unable to make inroads on the music space—even if they knew how to market the Zune + marketplace, they only managed to get it into a very small handful of territories.

Apple is the only company in the world that could pull something like this off.

Microsoft knew this and gambled that the fewer customers they did get would spend more money per console. (which, again, makes sense based on early 360 buying habits—a rabid install base quickly moving from game to game, spending lots of money on Gold, DLC, etc.) It would also help them minimize the hit from selling a hugely expensive console which I can only assume, even at the ridiculous $499, is being sold at a loss.

Interesting business decision. I guess that's yet another nail in the NPD thread's coffin though—the little sales we do get are going to mean less than ever.

i did. Even sent them a link to this thread

At this point I think the only language they'll understand is money. They know unsupported countries don't really make a dent in their income, so they're probably thinking, why bother? These countries are just a source of piracy issues for them, their support teams just get confused servicing people from these places...

It certainly gives me a picture of how they see us gamers in unsupported countries. We don't give them that much money anyway, all we give them are support headaches. They simply don't want our business. Very well then. They've lost this customer.

It probably won't matter to them in the short term, but in the long run, this will do some major damage on their reputation with gamers the world over.

At this point I think the only language they'll understand is money. They know unsupported countries don't really make a dent in their income, so they're probably thinking, why bother? These countries are just a source of piracy issues for them, their support teams just get confused servicing people from these places...

It certainly gives me a picture of how they see us gamers in unsupported countries. We don't give them that much money anyway, all we give them are support headaches. They simply don't want our business. Very well then. They've lost this customer.

It probably won't matter to them in the short term, but in the long run, this will do some major damage on their reputation with gamers the world over.

I would say they will try earn any money from anywhere even just $5 per month
And they don't need to do anything if they don't bother,just keep it like 360

Shaneus

This is just getting ridiculous now.

And would affect me. I live in Australia, but I frequently go back to Thailand to stay with my wife's family. So this would be bad for me since I do take my Xbox along while I'm there.
You still can, as long as you're referring to your current Xbox and not any future Xboxen.

madmackem

yeah this is what it is like now - and you are right, it does conflict with what the support guy said.

If that is the current case, it shouldnt be a problem - however when it comes time for me to switch to make purchases with my UAE credit card, it may be.
The game need to check in when you first use them, they have started to region ip check a lot of stuff, games that ain't out in a region can't be bought god or arcade from outside the region even if you have that region gold account.

Wubby

Holy crap you can't even import it or play imports it sounds like. Being that I live in Japan and can't read most kanji there is absolutely no way I'll ever buy an XBone now.

The game need to check in when you first use them, they have started to region ip check a lot of stuff, games that ain't out in a region can't be bought god or arcade from outside the region even if you have that region gold account.

I think this exist very long time(but not 100% games locked like that btw),most people are asking disc version

madmackem

I think this exist very long time(but not 100% games locked like that btw),most people are asking disc version
That's what's worrying, they've started to do it with stuff and given how strict they seem to be getting with Xbox one I wouldn't put it past them game ip check ins won't flag you being outside the supported region.

I have been waiting since PS3 and Xbox 360 launches for my country to get PS Store/Live, and after 7 years I still get a "we are working on it" from Sony and Microsoft.

I find it amusing that people are complaining because the Xbox One does not support their country from day one.

Picobrain

Banned
I am confused.
If I live let’s say in Portugal (which is not officially supported by Microsoft) can I import Xbone from UK and create UK account? Can I use live features?
My god Microsoft is really good at confusing people.

dino1980

I am confused.
If I live let’s say in Portugal (which is not officially supported by Microsoft) can I import Xbone from UK and create UK account? Can I use live features?

You can buy one from UK, but you cant play on it until xbox live is availible in Portugal.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Soooo...tell me this, if I were to import an American copy of a game to play on a US purchased Bone and try to activate it in France, what would happen? That's what I'm wondering. IF that were to not work then I really would have no choice but to completely skip the system. For those of us in similar situations this would be a real killer.

I am confused.

First of all, doing that is going against the TOS, so they will never tell you that you can do that and it will work. Somehow, some people here got the impression that Microsoft will be running geolock via IP, I have no idea where they got it from, but if MS really did that, unless you pay for a proxy you will not be able to use a fake UK account in Portugal or any other country.

Veronica

Banned
I am starting to think MS just wants to leave the game industry. This is the only logical explanation for their decisions with XBO.

No Portugal what?
Who could afford one of these expensive monstrosities there anyhow? Consolidate the national budget first ;-p.

Considering retail games will just be registration codes (with a data disc) it's not too far-fetched to see them going that way in general. If they also go through with countries in Europe being their own regions you have one expensive console experience if you live in mainland Europe (no more cheap importing from UK). I still kinda refuse to believe it, but so far MS has pulled through with all of their bs...

madmackem

First of all, doing that is going against the TOS, so they will never tell you that you can do that and it will work. Somehow, some people here got the impression that Microsoft will be running geolock via IP, I have no idea where they got it from, but if MS really did that, unless you pay for a proxy you will not be able to use a fake UK account in Portugal or any other country.
They already do this with games and content, right now on 360.

This actually isnt region locking but something which has never been done before. I dont care about region locked games as it is part and parcel of owning a console, what i do care about is the fact that i cant tie my current XBL account (Australian membership) to the console i want to purchase at launch (PAL UK or PAL UAE - same console)

i think what is being implied is that if i live in the UAE, i have to tie it to UAE servers - which may mean i lose my 30K+ gamerscore which is currently tied to an AUS account and the fact that i cant get a console on launch as the UAE region is not supported yet.

WHat this means is maybe for the first year i will be PS4 only until the xbox is "officially" released and supported here.

That's a small use case, but it is pretty dumb if there's not a transfer process. I think it's premature to assume there isn't one, or has MS confirmed that?

IF true, this means no more easy multi-region achievement hunting for guys like Stallion83, right?

Who could afford one of these expensive monstrosities there anyhow? Consolidate the national budget first ;-p.

Considering retail games will just be registration codes (with a data disc) it's not too far-fetched to see them going that way in general. If they also go through with countries in Europe being their own regions you have one expensive console experience if you live in mainland Europe (no more cheap importing from UK). I still kinda refuse to believe it, but so far MS has pulled through with all of their bs...

You can buy one from UK, but you cant play on it until xbox live is availible in Portugal.

You can check this reply
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63184951&postcount=1242
So i think we need to ask people like Major Nelson to make sure wtf happened

Likely,just like OP's picture and my picture,that's why we need some people Major Nelson to answer
Yeah, I just remembered the bs some of them spread before we got the confirmation on Xbone's DRM policy. I just assume the worst, seems appropriate with the way things are going with this console :).

acidagfc

If this means regional pricing strategies, same way as Steam handles it, it may be sorta win in certain countries.
I'm talking about Russia here, but it may apply to other countries as well. If they can drop the price of Digital Only copy of a game to 20-30 USD (like Steam versions of new games), it may convert a bunch of pirates into paying customers.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
fucking hell they turned region locking all the way up till 11.

what happens if I go on vacation and attempt to sign into a UK box?

I just want to hear a higher up confirm this and not some Xbox support guy who looking at the twitters don't know shit. God MS, PR, do it.

If this means regional pricing strategies, same way as Steam handles it, it may be sorta win in certain countries.
I'm talking about Russia here, but it may apply to other countries as well. If they can drop the price of Digital Only copy of a game to 20-30 USD (like Steam versions of new games), it may convert a bunch of pirates into paying customers.
Would be disastrous for mainland Europe, unless they allow digital retailers like Amazon.com or retail from the UK. Regular prices on Steam are horrible, I either buy from Amazon.com or UK retail for Steam games.

madmackem

Really? You have a link or something?

I use a usa account in the uk and if a arcade game isnt out here it pops up not available in your region when you try to download a trial, it also does it for a alot of god games and every film and tv show in the xbox rental, also some apps wont allow you to download them either.

Soooo...tell me this, if I were to import an American copy of a game to play on a US purchased Bone and try to activate it in France, what would happen? That's what I'm wondering. IF that were to not work then I really would have no choice but to completely skip the system. For those of us in similar situations this would be a real killer.
I really want to know the answer this.

acidagfc

Would be disastrous for mainland Europe, unless they allow digital retailers like Amazon.com or retail from the UK. Regular prices on Steam are horrible, I either buy from Amazon.com or UK retail for Steam games.

Sorry, I don't see how this affects mainland Europe.
They are still getting their games at full-price, like they did before. No UK import is possible in this new MS philosophy anyway.

Some countries may get discounts on new DD games, since otherwise they would not buy them at all. Or maybe even on disc versions, since discs don't mean shit now.

I really doubt MS would do that, but they will never win this gen over here if they don't. Unless X1 is hacked and its a loss for MS again.

ILHASS

wvPfUyG.jpg

I use a usa account in the uk and if a arcade game isnt out here it pops up not available in your region when you try to download a trial, it also does it for a alot of god games and every film and tv show in the xbox rental, also some apps wont allow you to download them either.
It's not the same.

Currently I have a UK account even though I live in Croatia. I can download most DLCs and have access to every XBLA and GoD game.
However, SOME games do require a VPN if you want to download them. Most famous example: Gears of War 2 All Fronts Collections pack. I couldn't download it without a VPN.
I won't even go into media content since that stuff is 99% region blocked by default (BBC iPlayer, etc.).

The main difference is that on the X360 I was able to use the console, play games and be an XBL Gold Member.
Based on everything presented here, Xbone will not allow us to do that since:

1) it is questionable will the actual hardware be sold in non supported countries - and I think if this shit is like this, consumer advocacy groups will have something to say about that

2) everything implies a IP-based region locking so we can't masquerade under officially supported XBL countries

Seems to me like game over for us living in "those" countries. And you know what? MS can go fuck themselves.

Top Bottom