• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

PaulLFC

Is this true? I can't find the tweets but it appears all recent tweets answering questions have been deleted by the Xbox Support Twitter.

5ATLlWV.png

Ulrik

Neo Member
Im forcing myself to another and another reasons why buy Xbox One first and I find them - gamepad, Quantum Break...

But hey...Im not in supported country. So, I wish to use fact Im still in EU... you know - free market etc...but no! We have better EU and worse EU.

OK guys... Im fed up. You could won me easily, you could even make me jump few hurdles... But I wont plead for privilegium of buying your console.

Khaz

So Greece is not listed but you can already pre-order X1 at all the major retailers here. What is going on?

Well, seeing you don't have TV broadcast anymore, most of the Xbone features would not be useable for you anyway.

I'm so sorry.

Brandson

That an official Xbox support twitter account is suggesting to not buy an Xbox One must be a subtle dig by the support guys at management's poor decisionmaking. I can't imagine MS distributing a memo to Xbox support setting out canned dealwithit replies to customer questions. No company that survives by selling things to customers would ever make it a policy to tell customers to not buy those things, right?

Tomas

Banned
So it was me who misunderstood the statement... Jesus Christ, I still refuse to believe how company can block its products' use in different countries... X360 never supported all countries, but people still bought consoles/games/XBL and generated revenue.

This is literally the worst device for consumers I have ever seen.

P.S. Why does every tweet from MS contain "PS"?

Is this true? I can't find the tweets but it appears all recent tweets answering questions have been deleted by the Xbox Support Twitter.

http://i.imgur.com/5ATLlWV.png[/img[/QUOTE]

[quote="maquiladora, post: 63239266"]Check the previous page.[/QUOTE]

All these twitter supporter reply are hours before chat supporter reply,so i'm questioning are these chat supporter get the memo about questionable region issue

Really,we need some game site interview the high position MS guys and ask this question

Well there goes any chances MS might have supported Japan (and the West) with exclusive JRPGs like they did at the start of 360. No way in hell they'd do that without launching it there. Games like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Last Remnant and Star Ocean.

Also it's just another telling sign that MS didn't really give a shit about releasing those JRPGs in the past to begin with, otherwise they'd have them on this system too. It was only for Japan and not us even if they did get localised.

Fortunately there's PS4 to go to for that instead.

MCD

That an official Xbox support twitter account is suggesting to not buy an Xbox One must be a subtle dig by the support guys at management's poor decisionmaking. I can't imagine MS distributing a memo to Xbox support setting out canned dealwithit replies to customer questions. No company that survives by selling things to customers would ever make it a policy to tell customers to not buy those things, right?

Did you miss what their boss said?

20cent

Banned
mj-laughing.gif

1 year later in Asia?

As I live in HK, it means even if I import a US X1 I wouldn't be able to activate it?

MS, you really want me to go PS4, don't you?

Strange that @XboxSupport has now deleted all tweets that were replying to questions, though - unless twitter is playing up. Damage control?

Simple-try ask them again and see will we get same answer like chat supporters

It's like are they high or something,some answers really are wtf level

mj-laughing.gif

1 year later in Asia?

As I live in HK, it means even if I import a US X1 I wouldn't be able to activate it?

MS, you really want me to go PS4, don't you?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63222436&postcount=1378
(Maybe)Don't worry about HK,though

I just chat with Xbox support,seems they very confident about the region thing unlike twitter support

Sandra: Thank you for contacting Xbox Chat Support. My name is Sandra and I will be assisting you today. Please give me a minute to check your issue.
Sandra: Hi there.
Sandra: Can I have your name please?

Lee: Oh hi
Lee: call me Lee
Lee: I wanna ask something about Xbox One region specification.

Sandra: Oh his there Lee. How are you today?
Sandra: And yes, go ahead please.

Lee: Microsoft has posted the distribution region here http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer and i wanna know can i import the console and games from US and play it in Hong Kong

Sandra: Definitely you can Lee. What xbox one require is just an internet connection that is available 24/7. That means that you just have to have an internet connection of your own. Just like the previous consoles, there are countries that they are not officially sold but the console still works there.

Lee: So,my case is-Xbox One console:US,game:US region,account:US XBOX LIVE account,where i located:Hong Kong
Lee: And Microsoft won't block my ip,right?

Sandra: No not at all since Live and Gold services are both available in Hong Kong. Just like the older consoles Lee, it is not officially sold or distributed to a lot of countries because of the numbers of users that are few but the console still works as long as Live service is available to that country.

Lee: So the Xbox Live service for Xbox One will just like Xbox 360

Sandra: That is right. Only the platform changes but everything pretty much is the same.

Lee: Ok,thanks for your help
Lee: No more question from me,so bye and have a nice day :)

Sandra: Alright then. See you on Live soon Lee. You take care, okay?
Sandra: :)

I'm sure that Microsoft have had their lawyers look at this, but I thought we had a common market in the EU?

Certainly, the CJEU seems to decide consistently that attempts to divide up the common market are illegal - see the recent Karen Murphy case, in which they ruled it was illegal to prevent publicans from using Greek Sky box decoder cards in the UK.

Its starting to feel like it'll be a matter of hours until the next thread about MS making a mess of something.

Most convuluted and confusing console launch of all time?

You would think if they want people to go digital only you would make games and console region free.
This is one big pr disaster.
They have some cool digital only ideas like the shared library but they are doing this so wrong.
You would think they would have server anywhere to ping.
They even said your games can travel with you on your account.
Not a single thing is true i guess.

This is even worse then Wiiu pr and Steambox you would think a company this big would atleast have some PR training for their executives.

Khaz

You would think if they want people to go digital only you would make games and console region free.

Not really. The moment Nintendo handhelds turned to digital distribution is the moment they went region-locked. Supposedly to be able to bring a more localised experience, in reality not to upset local distributors and branches that would be floored by digital import.

This is one big pr disaster.
They have some cool digital only ideas like the shared library but they are doing this so wrong.
You would think they would have server anywhere to ping.
They even said your games can travel with you on your account.
Not a single thing is true i guess.

This is even worse then Wiiu pr and Steambox you would think a company this big would atleast have some PR training for their executives.

Yeah what are these twitter support thinking?even if it's really blocked,they should not use this frivolous attitude to answer the question,it's like some high-school students working there

TheIconizer

Neo Member
The problem I can't see through is the 360's Live service has support in my country. I thought that LIVE is LIVE across all consoles. Yet the Xbox One doesn't have Live support? It's strange for me.

Thank you MS for forgetting about South America and my country Chile too.

Way to fuck up a console release... I've never seen something like it.

Well.
Off to buying a PS4 then. Thank you

Forkball

I just realized that the military stationed abroad won't be able to play Xbone in countries like Korea, Guam, Middle East etc.

MICROSOFT HATES OUR TROOPS

Theonik

I just realized that the military stationed abroad won't be able to play Xbone in countries like Korea, Guam, Middle East etc.

MICROSOFT HATES OUR TROOPS
They'll probably make an exception for military bases like they did with early XBL iirc.

Mindwipe

I'm sure that Microsoft have had their lawyers look at this, but I thought we had a common market in the EU?

Certainly, the CJEU seems to decide consistently that attempts to divide up the common market are illegal - see the recent Karen Murphy case, in which they ruled it was illegal to prevent publicans from using Greek Sky box decoder cards in the UK.

Arrghhh.

Sorry, but that is bollocks, and the case was exceptionally badly reported.

They did not rule this. Indeed, they ruled it was perfectly legal to prevent publicans from using Greek satellite cards. Karen Murphy lost the case, it's just that it was reduced from being a criminal offense to a civil tort, so you could consider that a "win" compared the previous hearing.

It's a complex area and it *does* limit Microsoft's ability to sue anyone bypassing the restrictions, but by and large companies are allowed to technically geo-restrict their digital services however they like until they're told otherwise.

jorma

is now taking requests
Arrghhh.

Sorry, but that is bollocks, and the case was exceptionally badly reported.

They did not rule this. Indeed, they ruled it was perfectly legal to prevent publicans from using Greek satellite cards. Karen Murphy lost the case, it's just that it was reduced from being a criminal offense to a civil tort, so you could consider that a "win" compared the previous hearing.

It's a complex area and it *does* limit Microsoft's ability to sue anyone bypassing the restrictions, but by and large companies are allowed to technically geo-restrict their digital services however they like until they're told otherwise.

Only because it was commercial use. It was perfectly alright to buy a greek decoder for personal use.

edit:
The European court of justice ruled that the FA Premier League cannot stop individuals from seeking better deals for TV sports subscriptions than that offered by BSkyB – which paid more than £1bn for the UK broadcast rights for Premier League matches – from foreign broadcasters.

The ECJ said attempting to prohibit the "import, sale or use of foreign decoder cards is contrary to the freedom to provide services and cannot be justified either in light of the objective of protecting intellectual property rights or by the objective of encouraging the public to attend football stadiums".

However, the court ruled against the bid by Karen Murphy, the landlady of the Red, White and Blue pub in Portsmouth, to be allowed to use a Greek decoder card to show live Premier League matches to pubgoers at much cheaper rates than BSkyB charges commercial premises in the UK on copyright grounds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/oct/04/premier-league-tv-coverage?INTCMP=SRCH

KiteGr

I thought that me choosing the PS4 over the Xbone was the easiest choice ever.
Now I see that I didn't have a choice to begin with!

Hanmik

they really don´t have a clear answer yet.. I just asked the twitter support because I live in a place that isn´t supported by Xbox Live.. and want to know if I can buy one (i might be necessary if our website is going to review some Xbox One games)

N9B7zMg.jpg

this is really confusing.

It's mindblowing. Truly mindblowing. Even Nintendo products let you download and play games from anywhere in the world (though your eShop store is region locked to where you bought your Wii U/3DS). When NINTENDO trumps you in hardware features, you messed up.

Fortunately MS has a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360!

Theonik

they really don´t have a clear answer yet.. I just asked the twitter support because I live in a place that isn´t supported by Xbox Live.. and want to know if I can buy one (i might be necessary if our website is going to review some Xbox One games)

http://i.imgur.com/N9B7zMg.jpg

this is really confusing.
WhyWouldYouEvenLiveThere.jpg
Xbox Support has no idea either. This is just a clusterfuck.

Mindwipe

Only because it was commercial use. It was perfectly alright to buy a greek decoder for personal use.

Indeed.

But there's nothing about that being okay for personal use that means they're not allowed to put technical barriers in your way to prevent it from happening. They just can't sue you for trying.

Top Bottom