• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

quest

Not Banned from OT
What would happen if I bought an XB1 from the UK then moved Spain? Whats gonna happen when I play a game? "Sorry this game is region locked to the UK."

Probably so need to get a VPN with UK IP. I would guess it is to protect shops they make deals with for used games. Only reason to country lock a console like that.

entremet

Remember when you can just plug your consoles in and play them anytime, anyplace lol. Given you had voltage adapters too.

Kosma

Banned
It depends on what this means.

Are they IP locking it? Will they not allow fake accounts every importer used on X360?

Here is the current X360 list: ttp://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/countries

Even if your country not listed, you can still use an Xbox Live account with a fake US address and play everything but IP locked content like movies in general and some games.

Someone need to confirm if they will employ an IP lock or not.

With all the other restrictions they are putting up Im sure it is.

Terra

this thread is 99% people bashing about a console because they don't understand and 1% who actually know what this means.

GAF knows NOTHING.

This thing to minimize the impact and actual knowledge of GAF have been used frequently lately.

You are definitely struggling.

Sorry, but this can't be spinned.
what are you talking about? UAE wasn't supported until a year ago and I have been able to play in xbox live for years? I'm not spinning anything. I've been on xbl when it wasn't officially supported here.

Some pretty crazy things going on there.

Iceland? Greece? Japan? Hell, the entire Asian market (except Russia)? Portugal? Poland? Hungary? Czech? Turkey? No east block countries? South Africa? The whole of Africa? Argentina?

What. The. Fuck.

2MF

Oh, well this is great news!

People where afraid what countries with bad Internet Connection would do with an xBone. Now they can rest assured: It just won't work anyway :)

Jokes aside, at least in the case of Portugal the reason is definitely not Internet connection quality. It's pretty good there.

Really, reading this on the page should make anyone wonder why they would buy this:

Xbox One Requirements:

Requires broadband internet (ISP fees apply), a Microsoft account and an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country/region, and 720p or higher HDMI-compatible TV. To receive live TV via broadcast or cable, supported receiver device (television tuner or cable/satellite set top box) with HDMI output and HDMI cable required (all sold separately).

Additional subscriptions, internet speed and/or requirements apply for some features.

Kinect Sensor for Xbox One (included) and periodic system software updates required for continued use; significant updates may be required during set-up and over time (ISP fees apply).

Some games not transferable and have no resale value; restrictions on games usage apply.

Games, Kinect and accessories made for Xbox 360 or original Xbox will not work with Xbox One.

Xbox One system software uses a significant amount of storage; less internal storage will be available to users. 500 GB = 500 billion bytes.

You must accept Xbox Terms of Use (including Xbox software terms and game license terms), Microsoft Services Agreement, and Xbox One 1-year limited warranty. Some games have additional license terms.

Terms include binding arbitration with class action waiver to resolve disputes.
Additional requirements will apply.

Bolded above, is that how they plan to get around first-sale doctrine?

Chakan

f0TIMty.png

Gui_PT

Wow there's a lot more PortugalGAF than I thought

Unite brothers! Let us suffer together, for this is a dark day.

kafiend

Geographically locked out at launch. lololol.

I suspect also on every single new game released to stop you evil fuckwit gamers obnoxious enough to have family living abroad getting a game in before your own local release. You bunch of potential hacker thieve scumbags.

In a hotel I worked at we used to say tongue in cheek that the place ran smoother without them pesky customers. Microsoft seem to be using this as a business philosophy.

gcubed

Really, reading this on the page should make anyone wonder why they would buy this:

Bolded above, is that how they plan to get around first-sale doctrine?

i'm pretty sure thats only applicable in the US. The EU isn't AS corporate fellating as the US

netBuff

I must say that people misunderstand this requirement. The Xbox Live is not officially supported in these countries (no services and support), but people from all countries can sign up as nearby supported country to gain access to online games and other basic features.

Please do not make fun of Microsoft for this, this is an old policy.

The topic title was kind of misleading. I was expecting an announcement of the Xbox One to launch in certain countries but people would have to wait a few months for Microsoft to support their country, which would be tremendously stupid,.

Yes you can as long as they didn't change the fact that you simply can change your settings on the console.

this thread is 99% people bashing about a console because they don't understand it and all they wan is seeing ms burn and 1% who actually know what this means.

THANK YOU

This is really just a place for trolls omg.

The people misunderstanding this policy are you. Xbox Live is available in more than the listed launch countries: They are actively not launching the Xbone in places where Xbox Live currently does exist, and are saying that games aren't for activation in these regions that currently have official Xbox Live support, but won't get the Xbone.

Sblargh

Banned
I don't think it will be this extreme, but yeah, another point in a long list of "clear as mud" MS policies that seem tailor-made to confuse and scare.

The people misunderstanding this policy are you: Xbox Live is available in more than the listed launch countries: They are actively not launching the Xbone in places where Xbox Live currently does exist, and are saying that games aren'T for activation in these regions that currently have Xbox Live, but won't get the Xbone.

Yeah guys, reading is fundamental:

an account on Xbox Live in an Xbox One-supported Xbox Live country/region

L.O.R.D

lol, i just posted this news on some forum in the xbox section, and they deleted my thread with warring
OMG
anyone post something negative about xbone will bann in that site

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
Sony: PS4 will have no Region Lock at all!
Microsoft: We will lock your sorry asses out, if you live in a country we don't like!

asdad123

I go to visit family in Poland every summer for a month and I bring one of my consoles with me for whenever we want to relax and play some games so.. Fuck off Microsoft. I was gonna pick this up along with the PS4 for the first party games eventually, but no thanks anymore.

I must say that people misunderstand this requirement. The Xbox Live is not officially supported in these countries (no services and support), but people from all countries can sign up as nearby supported country to gain access to online games and other basic features.

Please do not make fun of Microsoft for this, this is an old policy.

Yeah this^^ is bullshit.

XBL is supported in India. They have their own market place. You can buy games and MS points in the local India currency. 360 has been selling here officially for over 6 years. They have their localized support and services. I have had my 360 replaced by them for RROD. They are partnered up with local ISPs for XBL gold deals.

So if you wanna do damage control, at least dont pretend to make shit up.

gcubed

I go to visit family in Poland every summer for a month and I bring one of my consoles with me for whenever we want to relax and play some games so.. Fuck off Microsoft. I was gonna pick this up along with the PS4 for the first party games eventually, but no thanks anymore.

i doubt they are they IP locking? that would be pretty insane

Xiaoki

Xbox One is like the gift that keeps on giving.

But it would more apt to call it a train that keeps on wrecking.

Quixzlizx

no idea
all i am trying to say that even if your country doesn't show up on a "officially supported" list it doesn't always mean doom, I know live ins't supported now and psn wasn't supported until 2 or 3 years ago yet people still played everything fine

again it is possible that they will do some stupid stuff due to the DRM bullshit they have going on, just reporting what i know about Live living in a country that isn't on the officially supported list for it

Obviously we need a clarification, but the following quote makes it seem like individual games are region-locked, at least:

"Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions."

It also says activation, so I want to know whether you'd actually have to fly to the specified region with your console to get the game working, even if you can play the game in another one.

bidguy

Banned
well my country is in there and i got my reserve in but if they block out content from other countries, meaning i cant get uncut games from our friendly austrian neighbours, they can fuck off.

ill wait for the inevitable policy changes

Top Bottom