• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One Tour has started - check the map for demo truck locations and dates

Silky

Banned
So I went back to the Mall at Millenia yesterday and found out that Major nelson hadn't removed the Killer Instinct arcade cabinet!!! Recorded a decent amount of video.

Site: Killer Instinct on Xbox One - 15+ Minutes of Gameplay

YouTube: http://youtu.be/t-_SsKAEn0s

YOOOO 60 FRAMES?!

get-money.gif

Last time I invested any decent time towards a fighting game was Mortal Kombat on PS1, this is looking good fun though , multiplayer should be decent hopefully

MysteryM

Much appreciated, MM! It was my first time touching anything Killer Instinct in over a decade, and I LOVED being able to do so.

Now I'm more pumped for the 22nd, which kinda blows, lol.

Thanks, derFeef!

Rare are based less than 10 miles from where I live so I used to look out for there games. A new blast corps would be awesome too (I know double helix coded the new KI).

So finally got my hands on the controller and a couple games. Went to the mobile version at Eagan Minnesota. First thing that sucked... because it was parked at a Wal Mart (their rules) we received no Killer Instinct. So we had Forza and Fifa but I was mostly interested in the controller and also the rumble triggers when playing Forza.

First off I met a couple fellow gaffers and that was awesome. All of us were just gamers and were looking forward to both systems. I did not catch their names but it was great to speak to you guys if you happen to see this.

Hey! Yeah that was me who talked with you the most, I think. It was great meeting you and talking a bit about the gaming industry. Afterward we went to the Mall of America and checked out the Microsoft Store. At first we were disappointed as all they had was a system under glass that you could look at. Just as we were about to leave, in the front corner of the store was what looked like an arcade machine with Killer Instinct in it. We walked up and it had 2 fighting sticks and it was actually the Xbox One version of Killer Instinct playing. We played a couple rounds - so you may want to check that out when you get a chance.

I really liked the Xbox One controller as well. Felt great in my hands and the rumble in the triggers seemed pretty cool. I think I might *slightly* prefer the DS4 controller, but it's impossible for me to tell for sure until I get to play both at home.

Looks like they added a bunch of stops in Vegas. I was going to take off a day from work to go, but now I will go on the 8th which is a Saturday. I cant wait to try the controller out. I bought a DS4 and used it to play some PS4 games and it felt amazing. I hated the DS3, I hope the XB1 controller feels as good or even better.

Went to the Microsoft store in West Edmonton Mall yesterday, it was a pretty good time.

Controller: Felt really good, the shape of the controller is different than the 360, the top is shaped inwards a bit, forcing your hands together near the under side of the triggers. Not a negative, just different. Triggers and bumpers both felt great, and the force feedback was really cool and has a lot of potential. The d-pad felt pretty good, but I don't play fighting games so I'm not sure what people want it to feel like. I was worried about the reduced resistance on the sticks but they felt pretty good, like 3/4 of the way between dualshock 3 and 360 (in favour of the 360). Dead zones are noticeably reduced as well. My only complaint is the size of the sticks, they are just too small. Not sure why both Sony and MS felt the need to make their sticks smaller.

Unfortunately they only had Killer Instinct and Forza set up. I was really hoping to see Ryse in person, some Kinect stuff and a shooter to put the controller through its paces.

As previously stated, I'm no authority on fighting games so I can't say anything to how Killer Instinct plays, but it looked very nice. Cool looking backgrounds and particle effects and the fighters were well animated and looked good. Frame rate was a solid 60. My friend and I embarrassed ourselves pretty good just button mashing.

While not a huge racing fan, I played a fair bit of Forza 3 so that is my baseline. The cars looked great, but the backgrounds, while nice looking, didn't really wow me. Also there was some very noticeable aliasing on both the backgrounds and the cars. Frame rate was a smooth 60 with no tearing. Force feedback was pretty neat, definitely set the stage for what is possible in the future.

Spent a couple minutes talking with Major Nelson, seemed like a pretty nice guy. Asked him about Titanfall and he equated it "the first time you played Halo." My friend got him to sign his launch 360, it was pretty funny.

Hope this is better than the Australian retail roadshow where MS shows off kinect not working controllers not syncing before claiming its more powerful than a PS4.

UNCMark

Banned
So I went back to the Mall at Millenia yesterday and found out that Major nelson hadn't removed the Killer Instinct arcade cabinet!!! Recorded a decent amount of video.

Site: Killer Instinct on Xbox One - 15+ Minutes of Gameplay

YouTube: http://youtu.be/t-_SsKAEn0s

I think I saw you in Shinobi's pics. Thanks for the video. Microsoft has a bunch of games at launch that were pushing me to keep my pre-order, but after the Titanfall news I'm definitely letting Amazon deliver it.

Sioen

Wish it came to Belgium but since it's not coming out here till 2014 it's not going to happen. Anyways less then a month to go! (Importing from france)

HOOOOLYYYY SHIIIIT!!!

Dead Rising 3 is amazing. Bloody amazing. I really cannot emphasis this enough. Simply amazing.

It's actually stunning in person and in motion. Just stunning, those who say it's not a generational leap over DR2 are in for one hell of a shock when it's released. The frame-rate too, bloody hell..it was almost like butter for most of the demo...Just incredible.

Onto the gameplay - incredible. Nick handles like a dream, animations have been completely overhauled and movement feels a lot more fluid and natural now compared to the first two games and the hordes - holy shit at the horders. Their sheer numbers make the game considerably more challenging and they ragdoll...how did I not know this before? That alone is going to make some epic videos.

Vehicles handle so much better than they did in previous games, controls are much tighter too and they've finally added a sprint button, which is a much welcome addition. The gameworld is pretty stunning in motion, so many little touches, embers falling from vehicles that are on fire, zeds still charge at you on fire and maybe I imagined it, but they actually let off little embers as they charge towards you. Simply incredible.

I could rant for days, I loved the demo so much. This is going to make waiting until 2015 unbearable. I'm giving serious thought to buying one on day one if I can store with some free stock.

Moving on...

Controller is actually a lot better than I thought it would be. It's much lighter than the 360 controller, this instantly threw me off but I adjusted pretty quickly. The sticks are loose, there's no getting away from that, not as loose as those on the DS3 (nowhere close really), but they are looser than those on the 360 controller and much more sensitive too, almost too sensitive, if that makes sense.

Triggers are nice and springy, but they've really done a number on the bumpers. Why they decided to make the top part of them solid and only have the part nearer the end of the controller usable is a mystery...

Speaking of the triggers, the impulse triggers are a game changer. They are incredible. Take a little getting used to though, the first time they rumble, it actually makes you want to take your finger off the trigger. It's not overly strong, it just feels strange but you quickly get used to it and boy are they are amazing. I really hope they are used to their fullest potential. Horror games with the triggers would be mind-blowing...

Other games...

Ryse was there, as was BF4, Fifa 14, Forza 5, Killer Instinct and KS: Rivals.

Didn't bother with BF4 or Fifa 14, but both looked pretty bad from my quick glance over the screens, maybe it was the screens? Whatever it was, they looked terrible.

Killer Instinct - not really a fan of beat 'em ups, so watched others play and it really does look very impressive in motion. Silky smooth gameplay, some nice effects and sparks...oh lord, the sparks were insane.

Ryse - surprisingly, this was as busy, if not more busy than DR3. Got a quick go but wasn't feeling the multiplayer. Looked really good though, but couldn't get a handle on the combat, it was too stop, start for my liking. Was expecting something like the combat from Arkham, but there simply weren't enough enemies to create any kind of flow like you can in Arkham.

Forza 5 - Honestly, this didn't look good. Looked about on part with Horizon if I'm brutally honest. Not sure if it was the screen, but the few people I was chatting with all seemed to agree that it was pretty underwhelming in terms of visuals. Heard of a lot of 'looks like Forza 4' comments.

KS: Rivals. It was the waverace event and it surprisingly works great with Kinect 2.0. I tried to use a controller, but was shut-down and told it doesn't have controller support. Tried to convince the guy that there were reports it did and I only wanted to check, he just wasn't having any of it. Game looks stunning in person though.

Overall, a very positive impression of the X1 controller and games. If there's anything that bugged me, it's the guide button glow on the controller. I imagine that might become annoying, hopefully there's an option to turn it off...

One thing that really made me laugh was that they were telling almost everyone, the demos are two months old, so any bugs, glitches, would be fixed in the final games. Had this repeated to me at almost every game booth...

Alx

KS: Rivals. It was the waverace event and it surprisingly works great with Kinect 2.0. I tried to use a controller, but was shut-down and told it doesn't have controller support. Tried to convince the guy that there were reports it did and I only wanted to check, he just wasn't having any of it.

That's not surprising. I think someone suggested to Phil Spencer on Twitter that if that feature wasn't meant to be in the final game, the MS guys on the tour shouldn't let people use it, and Spencer answered "consider that message sent already" or something like that.

UNCMark

Banned
The thing about the bumpers is that MS seems intent on forcing you to hold the controller one specific way. I don't agree with that kind of design. There's absolutely no reason why those buttons shouldnt be pressable along the entirety of the button.

hehe, no intention to push you though. But you always say 2015 - why is that?

Bigger game library and any launch issues will be out of the way. OS will be much more stable and bundles will probably be a lot more competitive too. I doubt I'll be able to resist for that launch, this would be first launch in a very, very long time where I haven't bought either console day one.

Feels strange and the urge to buy is rising....

That's not surprising. I think someone suggeseted to Phil Spencer on Twitter that if that feature wasn't meant to be in the final game, the MS guys on the tour shouldn't let people use it, and Spencer answered "consider that message sent already" or something like that.

Yeah, it definitely seems like this is the case. Guy just would not budge and flat out denied it had or ever had controller support.

The thing about the bumpers is that MS seems intent on forcing you to hold the controller one specific way. I don't agree with that kind of design. There's absolutely no reason why those buttons shouldnt be pressable along the entirety of the button.

Agreed, the controller is great apart from the bumpers. I'm sure everyone will get used to it, but there's really no reason for the change and for forcing people to use the controller in that specific way.

I cannot overstate how amazing the impulse triggers are. I really hope they are used for more than just racers.

Raydeen

Just came back from the London one in Shoreditch.

All the games looked fantastic. Amusingly enough Battlefield was the least impressive. Maybe I'm sick of modern warfare shooters that I didn't care one bollock whether it was 720 or 1080p. All the games were super buttery smooth which was the biggest improvement for me. KI looks amazing!

As has been noted Dead Rising 3 is easily the best of the launch games. It has a swagger and scope of ambition that a lot of the others didn't.

PS4 or XB1 - you won't be disappointed with the graphics I can promise you.

Interestingly I took along my casual gaming mate. We had a pint in the Light Bar opposite - he was convinced the PS4 was the most expensive system and that the XB1 was more powerful as he had 'heard it'. So the reception and impression of both systems for the casual FIFA / COD gamer may not be as clear cut as you might think.

And yes I would have happily boned the skintight lycra Forza girls all night long. ;)

Just came back from the London one in Shoreditch.

All the games looked fantastic. Amusingly enough Battlefield was the least impressive. Maybe I'm sick of modern warfare shooters that I didn't care one bollock whether it was 720 or 1080p. All the games were super buttery smooth which was the biggest improvement for me. KI looks amazing!

As has been noted Dead Rising 3 is easily the best of the launch games. It has a swagger and scope of ambition that a lot of the others didn't.

PS4 or XB1 - you won't be disappointed with the graphics I can promise you.

Interestingly I took along my casual gaming mate. We had a pint in the Light Bar opposite - he was convinced the PS4 was the most expensive system and that the XB1 was more powerful as he had 'heard it'. So the reception and impression of both systems for the casual FIFA / COD gamer may not be as clear cut as you might think.

And yes I would have happily boned the skintight lycra Forza girls all night long. ;)

Ahh, we should have arranged a meet? What the hell man, I didn't know anyone else was going today...And yes, they were stunning...the friend I took along took some pics and was more interested in them than the actual game...(I'll post them when he uploads them)

Raydeen

Ahh, we should have arranged a meet? What the hell man, I didn't know anyone else was going today...And yes, they were stunning...the friend I took along took some pics and was more interested in them than the actual game...(I'll post them when he uploads them)

I was wondering if there was any GAF'ers around. I'll definitely come to the next London meet though.

derFeef

Agreed, the controller is great apart from the bumpers. I'm sure everyone will get used to it, but there's really no reason for the change and for forcing people to use the controller in that specific way.

I cannot overstate how amazing the impulse triggers are. I really hope they are used for more than just racers.

Was there no Cimson Dragon? It had impulse triggers enabled.

So the truck was an hour late due to a flat tire the woman said. My god it was so worth the wait though. I played KI and then watched a few people play Forza. The line was really long. The graphics were incredible, best I have ever seen in person. The controller felt incredible. Loved the weight of it, the Dpad worked great for KI. I didn't have any problems with the bumpers at all. I treally is crazy how much better the games that MS is demoing then the games Sony is. Forza and KI looked way better then Knack, Contrast, or Fifa. I think I might go to the Xbox store opening in Vegas on Thursday. Hopefully they will have more games there.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Can't find the impressions thread, I think this one is it.

I went to the nearby microsoft store (Had no idea one opened up in my area) and finally got my first taste of the next gen hype!

Controller: I had read a lot about the controller, but feeling it in my hands for the first time, feels very familiar at least in weight. The sticks are much looser, dunno if I can get used to the less resistant sticks, but only time will tell. The rumble motors in the triggers felt.... awkward to say the least. I am going to need a better proof of concept game to sell me on this before I outright turn it off. The Dpad is good stuff, would relate it to the way a DSI dpad feels. And the bumpers, not as inconvenient as it was made out to be, definitely weird at first but it's something I can get used to, they still have a nice click.

The games: They had 4 demos: Killer Instinct, Forza 5, Zoo Tycoon, and Crimson Dragon. Only played Killer Instinct and Forza 5

Forza 5: Was a little unimpressed, I know I know it's in 1080p! Nothing really stands out. As described earlier, the rumble motors feel really weird the first time I used it. On top of hearing that this game only has 14 tracks, I'm thinking about cancelling my pre-order. Was hyped since Forza Horizon was amazing (my first forza game mind you).

Killer Instinct: This is why I'm buying an xbox one. So much fun, but the cpu is brutal. Got some local matches in with a really cool guy, and once I started using the analog stick, I did much better (dpad doesn't really feel good for this game). They had 4 characters in this build (sadira build?). Jago felt like the easiest to pick up. After playing, I really feel like I need to invest in a stick -_-, but I loved this game. So much fun, can't wait to play against others on Xbox live.

MaDGaMEZ

Neo Member
Spent 3 hours this morning at the AreaOne event in Scottsdale, had a chance to try out 9 games. I currently game almost exclusively on Xbox 360 and came away disappointed. Heres why...

The games felt and played like 360 games for the most part, Forza was good the rumble in the triggers went well with this one, Killer Instinct definitely the best game available to play solid graphics and game speed, Crimson Dragon was really the dragon flying around and you just shooting not really my taste. Dead Rising didn't look that great but seemed like in co-op could be tons of fun with a TON of zombies. Skylanders really for kids enough said, Battlefield 4 looked good better actually then on 360 I prefer COD which they did not have. Lococycle is a weird concept, Ryse has potential but combat felt slow. Played Fifa 14 it looked good not my sport though.

All and all games wise seems like an extension of this gen with a little better graphics not impressed. The XboxOne definitely will sell because of the UI and features not the games IMHO.

On to what disappointed me the most and worries me. The Controller.

I love the current 360 controller all they needed to fix was the dpad and bumpers from the current design. The dpad and bumpers have been improved well upon.

However the sticks like some have pointed out feel "loose" the resistance is not there, this to me was the biggest change and noticeable, its not quite DS3 like but definitely a huge negative to me. Also a problem, almost every controller at the event that I touched felt like the piece of plastic on the underside close to the triggers was loose, could be a design flaw?

I voiced my concerns to the Microsoft rep and he stated it was not final hardware that also these have been across the country in many cities before here so that could be a factor, he seemed pretty I wanna say nervous not sure seemed weird.

TLDR
Controller big step back for me unless they eventually change it back to include more resistance on the sticks. Walked away honestly feeling like canceling my pre-order.

You're lucky. The one I used for KI registered every directly as up. I literally held down and Jago kept jumping. The rep said it was because of USB extensions but that was pretty frustrating to deal with. Way to show off your console.

Damn dude I would be so pissed if I waited and the controller was broken.

Top Bottom