• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Users banned from Upload Studio for swearing?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why are people saying it's okay to have swearing on your Xbox One video uploads?

Zomba13

Why are people saying it's okay to have swearing on your Xbox One video uploads?

Probably because some of those Xbone video games have swearing in the actual game which will then also be in the upload videos so having a human person commenting on that game should also be able to swear.

Minions

Words are words? Who says what words are barred? Next they will ban for talking about sexual orientations and the like. The fact we are dealing with shit like this in this day and age blows my mind. Saying DOOKIE is the same as saying SHIT.

They can't be checking every vid out......OMG the kinect listens!!!!

No seriously, how are they checking every single vid for profanities?

No I imagine you get flagged for "profanity" and then they ban you. No need to watch every video, the flock will do it for you.

emb

They should really let you tag videos as having explicit language or something. I don't want to hear it, and I don't know why people want to do it... but it's common enough and relatively harmless enough that you might as well give people the option. It would make parental controls a little easier, and you'll end up with less people banned.

Are these private uploads or are they publicly available? Microsoft probably had a strict TOS and people never read those and just click right through it.

Well it does say that anything you upload has to abide by the same rules of Xbox Live, and you aren't supposed to swear on Xbox Live. Also, all the videos are reviewed before they are uploaded.

I wonder if I'll get in trouble for uploading a clip of Ryse where there are a bunch of topless females...because...ya know...it IS in the game...

Minions

I wonder if you will be able to flag players for profanity during COD Matches. I bet this would go over really well. I have to imagine this is a temporary policy.... If they get labeled as a console where you can't play the way you want, I imagine they are going to be losing a ton of sales..... also what the hell at them banning people for cursing when the games they are playing use the same language?

oh man, if they blacklisted certain words, racial, homophobic, etc and could ban when kinect/the cloud detects them... that would be beautiful

Feorax

Kinect voice commands?

It can probably detect when you swear.

Fifa 13 had this feature, whereby in career mode, if you shouted and swore at officials then the board would see you as unsuitable for the image of the club and sack you as manager.

Unfortunately it was, in reality, pretty crap at distinguishing swearwords, and I ended up getting sacked because of the Kinect picking up the TV audio throughout the match...

Weenerz

Banned
QTXX63R.png

I doubt they are reviewing all uploads. It probably something built in Kinect that detect them like it does with every other voice options on X1 so it gets flagged for videos.

Minions

All I can think is.... GAME GRUMPS BANNED FROM XBOX ONE.

Just does not compute.... do the videos auto age black based on the rating of the game recorded? I think that would be a larger issue than "potty language"

I doubt they are reviewing all uploads. It probably something built in Kinect that detect them like it does with every other voice options on X1 so it gets flagged for videos.

Would be amazing. One step from flagging other words.... so much for not listening to your conversations.

Neiteio

I don't mind swear words, as long as they're not used in a mean way. If they're just used to amplify sentiment (I.E. "so fucking cool," "so fucking scary," etc), they're empty words that harm no one. Of course, some expressions are used in an empty way but can hurt groups of people (I.E. "that's so gay"), so I don't think people should ever use those expressions, even if they're not being mean.

So those are my personal views. Regarding this Xbox incident -- it's hard to say. On the one hand, it all comes down to the judgment of some unseen Xbox moderator, who may or may not be "fair." But as a general rule of thumb, Xbox Live would be a LOT more pleasant without people swearing up a storm. Because even empty swear words can become grating if used every other word, and certainly the homophobic, racist and sexist slang is a bit much on Live (and PSN, for that matter), even if once again, it's not meant to offend anyone.

Anion

If this is true though, maybe they should allow you to categorize your "channel" as "Adult" and let it be filtered out of the "child" accounts

Aenima

Is Hitler back?

Why are these companies treating ppl like they are all kids in elementary schools? Are kids buying those 400$ 500$ machines with they lunch money?

Hoo-doo

Banned

Because we're adults and not a church community?

These are going to be MY uploads, I should be able to say whatever i damn please. Nobody is forced to watch them, ever.

Steel

Banned

Is it ok for youtube to have swearing? Or Twitch? Is it ok to swear in a game that children are playing? It happens. I get bringing the video down, but completely banning the guy from uploading is just wrong.

Edit: Wait, is this why in the Giant Bomb stream, they -had- to have Kinect connected for the upload studio?

paparazzo

Coming from the company that will automatically remove any document containing profanity you upload to your own private skydrive account, I'm not surprised.

Neiteio

Well that is a real kick in the Richard
Ha! :D

It would be interesting if this led to an Xbox generation that uses implied swearing as you just did, lol

"Dude, that's so attracted to the same gender. He's intercourse'd up! They kicked him in the donkey orifice like a female dog. What a steaming pile of excrement. DARN IT!"

Ha! :D

It would be interesting if this led to an Xbox generation that uses implied swearing as you just did, lol

"Dude, that's so attracted to the same gender. He's intercourse'd up! They kicked him in the donkey orifice like a female dog. What a steaming pile of excrement. DARN IT!"

Donkey orifice sounds more offensive to me than asshole.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Banning you from Skype too? That makes no fucking sense.
Yeah that is bullshit. Skype is a totally different service and has zero fucking business getting included in what is already an outrageously silly punishment.

Fuck the Xbox police, your games have so much swearing, violence and sexuality that they should be banned outright too. Horrible policy.

Bonus profanity included for the banned.

Top Bottom