• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Scorpio has system-wide supersampling for 1080p display users

Caayn

Mandatory supersampling... I wonder how the framerate is gonna be then.
I rather have 1080p 60fps than 1080p supersampled 30fps.
Devs are free to provide a performance mode for their game. This just means that supersampling from 4K, and the IQ benefits that come with it, are available for 1080p users as well.

Unlike with the PS4 Pro developers can't make a mode exclusive to display X owners. Everything will be available for everyone regardless of display.

scently

As xbx can do variable refresh, could I, in theory, plug it into my freesync monitor the day I buy it and get the benefit? Or would I need a proper modern tv? Also, will games need specific patches / updates to support VRR or will it just work out of the box?

As per the DF Scorpio article, it is a system implementation. If a game drops below its target framerate it will be not appear quite as jarring, as per FreeSync. This goes for 360 games too. But targeting an arbitrary framerate at a constant out side of the normal 30/60fps is going to be developer specific.

EvB

Only if your monitor supports Freesync over HDMI, which unless it is fairly new, wouldn't.

AMD's Freesync over HDMI has been around a couple of years , the HDMI VRR is the new one that has no support yet.

People get the 2 standards confused

I saw it retweeted into my timeline this morning that Phil said

Yes, E3 was just the start of us showing how games will look on Xbox One X

I think they are going all in on the X1X and I would expect a steady flow of content between now and release, there's supposed to be footage of Gears 4 that was shown behind closed doors at E3 running on the new hardware. Hope they show it off soon.

Lima

From what I read, can't remember where now, it will in the near future.

Nope. It doesn't have a HDMI 2.1 port. It's HDMI 2.0b

I called out DF back in April when they did their article on it because I really didn't believe in a 2.1 device in 2017 and sure enough I was right.

It doesn't support the new VRR from the 2.1 standard and it's certainly not something that can be updated software side.

scently

Scorpio supports Freesync. Not VRR as it doesn't have HDMI 2.1.

It supports HDMI VRR under 2.1. Maybe you should read the articles on DF and Gamasutra. This isn't about Scorpio being an HDMI 2.1 device, but it will support VRR under HDMI 2.1.

Lima

It supports HDMI VRR under 2.1. Maybe you should read the articles on DF and Gamasutra. This isn't about Scorpio being an HDMI 2.1 device, but it will support VRR under HDMI 2.1.

Even their official spec sheet only mentions freesync. You can't support something if you don't have the port. The articles about it from April were obviously wrong.

Pasedo

I think Sony doesnt want to enforce it as they want to give people a reason to upgrade to their 4k Sony TV's. Microsoft isn't in the business of TV's so they don't care. Supersampling all the way.

Caayn

Even their official spec sheet only mentions freesync. You can't support something if you don't have the port. The articles about it from April were obviously wrong.
VRR does seem like something that can be added through a firmware update. It's not something that requires much more bandwidth, if any at all. Much like some devices were able to be updated with support for HDR despite them releasing long before the HDMI spec for it was finalized.

scently

HDMI VRR, is a subset of HDMI 2.1. You might not need a 2.1 port explicitly to support it. The spec sheet on the Gamasutra article states "HDMI VRR (when ratified)".

I'm thinking of getting a new monitor for my Xbox One X. The monitor will probably be bought at some point after the actual console.

Are there any 1080p monitors around 22-27" available now or soon supporting variable refresh rate and HDR in a scorpio compatible way?

Caayn

HDMI 2.1 is a revision of the HDMI 2.0 spec which means any HDMI 2.0 implementation should be updatable via firmware.. Does not mean MS will do it but they can.
That's not true. HDMI 2.1 has a lot more bandwidth. It's very unlikely that current HDMI 2.0 devices are capable of providing more than twice the bandwidth.

It'd have been more appropriate to it 3.0 instead of 2.1 considering the massive jump it is over 2.0.

Detective

Top Bottom