• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies

Nice! One thing I really seem to be hurting for (only did magnetic weapons so far) is ammo capacity. I need a ranger with like double the rounds to just be able to steam roll lost.

I got a Superior Auto Loader which I added to my head ranger's shot gun. Gives something like 4 or 5 free reloads. It's a godsend in Lost infested territory.

plenilune

I'm a noob. On mission 1, when I engage a group. How do stop a second group from engaging me as well? I'm well out of the second group's spotting area. Did the sound give it away? I can't handle two groups at once!

epmode

I'm a noob. On mission 1, when I engage a group. How do stop a second group from engaging me as well? I'm well out of the second group's spotting area. Did the sound give it away? I can't handle two groups at once!

Once you've broken concealment, enemy sight range goes way up. I don't think cover will save you from being seen either. If you can see both groups when you start a fight from stealth, there's an excellent chance that both groups will activate. Also, certain enemy groups will patrol each turn so there's a chance that a group will walk into a combat situation.

It always was.

It wasn't in EU/EW right? Was that new in 2? I swear it didn't used to be at some point in XCOM... Either way, good to know.

I got a Superior Auto Loader which I added to my head ranger's shot gun. Gives something like 4 or 5 free reloads. It's a godsend in Lost infested territory.

That sounds amazing! Totally forgot those existed too. I need to makes some more regular trips to the black market i think...

plenilune

Once you've broken concealment, enemy sight range goes way up. I don't think cover will save you from being seen either. If you can see both groups when you start a fight from stealth, there's an excellent chance that both groups will activate. Also, certain enemy groups will patrol each turn so there's a chance that a group will walk into a combat situation.

Okay that makes sense. Bad map/patrol can ruin this mission so badly lol.

If you turn off "The Lost" in a campaign start, does that just remove that first scripted mission but leave everything else intact? Because I kind of don't want to play it again.

Liamc723

I'm still honestly lost by this expansion.

I have Xcom 2 for the PS4 with no DLC. I haven't started it.

Does this expansion change the base game? And if so, should I just wait for this expansion and then play the game with it? Or play the base game and then get the expansion?

Does this expansion change the base game? And if so, should I just wait for this expansion and then play the game with it? Or play the base game and then get the expansion?

Get the expansion.

It sits on top the base game same as EU and EW.

You wouldn't want to play the base game and then play again right away with the expansion. Well, maybe some people would i guess.

Get the expansion before you start. It fundamentally changes everything throughout for the better, and you won't miss out on anything from the base game.

So why isn't the mission from Shen's Last Gift included in the WotC campaign? I'm kind of bummed because I had stopped playing vanilla before that DLC released and it sounds like it was a really cool mission.

Is it confirmed that there's going to be a Long War of the Chosen type deal? I love the game but I find myself missing the LW classes and squadsize.

Akronis

So why isn't the mission from Shen's Last Gift included in the WotC campaign? I'm kind of bummed because I had stopped playing vanilla before that DLC released and it sounds like it was a really cool mission.

From what my friend told me yesterday, you have to disable Integrated Content or something like that to get those story missions.

Nete

Welp.

aROw4jr.png

It makes sense as you can use certain mods to cheat, but it will be a bit annoying to deactivate/activate all the mods (including cosmetics and QoL) each time you want to play a challenge. Specially when there's a new one every day.

EDIT: D'oh, I didn't see the "Deactivate mods" button in the launcher. That makes all this easier, although it still needs a game restart to continue with the campaign.

Wait, it's not? They've specifically said that they balanced those DLC pieces for inclusion with WotC.

I thought there was a check box up front when you start a new game that asks if you want that stuff included or not, and I did get the very first mission for alien hunters so I think Shen's Last Gift should work too?

Wait, it's not? They've specifically said that they balanced those DLC pieces for inclusion with WotC.

I thought there was a check box up front when you start a new game that asks if you want that stuff included or not, and I did get the very first mission for alien hunters so I think Shen's Last Gift should work too?

I thought I read that Shen's Last Gift gives you immediate access to the SPARK once you build the foundry but the mission itself isn't included. Is that not correct?

Also, can anyone recommend some good not-reference (so not Halo, Titanfall, etc.) cosmetic packs that are WOTC compatible? I got the new Capnbubs, Arms & Shoulders, and a tattoo pack, but I'd like some additional torso and leg options too.

I thought I read that Shen's Last Gift gives you immediate access to the SPARK once you build the foundry but the mission itself isn't included. Is that not correct?

Hmmmmm, can't say I read that anywhere, but it could be? Haven't seen it pop up yet and idr what the trigger was in vanilla so idk if I should have seen it yet or not (and i haven't built the foundry).

That would be a bummer! I thought that mission in particular was very, very well designed.

Couldn't you just change the Steam Controller profile to the "Gamepad with Camera Controls" template? It should function exactly like a 360 pad.

Yeah, probably. I'd rather just use an xbox controller if that is the case, though. I've never liked the bumper and triggers on the steam controller, as well using the touch pad as a giant d-pad doesn't feel as good. It is fine, it is serviceable, I'd do it if it was my only option.

SRG01

First Commander/Ironman run ended in tears. Combination of not understanding the new supply drop mission type, a sitrep that includes wave after wave of The Lost, meeting a Priest for the first time, and the Chosen Assassin showing up. Good times.

That mission advises you that there's a high chance the Assassin will show up... I saved my Reaper for especially for those missions.

My Reaper was bonded, so I gave her an extra turn -- which allowed her to walk right up to the Chosen and shoot in the same round 8)

Mr Swine

Banned
Anyone else wish that Xcom2 and WoTC has all of the previous games enemies? I would love to fight Thinmen, ordinary Sectoids and such while keeping the new ones

Otherwise I love this expansion, gives the base game a lot of meat :)

This makes no sense to me. The expansion goes through everything for you. There's literally no need to spend x hours in xcom 2 before ditching that save file and starting over in the expansion

People are easily overwhelmed with analysis paralysis. If you are the sort that thrives in jumping in the deep-end then you'll be fine. I don't think it is a bad idea to reduce the complexity to get a feel for things.

Lister

Banned
Just a rmeinder for those of you part of the awesome ultra wide screen club:

You may have already done this for the base game, but you will have to do it for the expansion too.

Find your XComEngine.ini file under the new Xcom:WOTC folder in your "Documents/MyGames/Xcom2" folder.

Then find [Engine.LocalPlayer] AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainXFOV

Change that with AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

Makes the UI all fit nicely, the FOV to properly scale (no more zoomed in camera), and fixes other UI issues like the hud in the avenger not being correctly mapped to the appropriate rooms.

Game looks gorgeous at 21:9.

Roshin

Anyone else wish that Xcom2 and WoTC has all of the previous games enemies? I would love to fight Thinmen, ordinary Sectoids and such while keeping the new ones

Otherwise I love this expansion, gives the base game a lot of meat :)

I do miss the regular sectoids, I do.

I'm not sure why they don't recycle some of the previous content. Seems like a nobrainer to me.

iosefe

I do miss the regular sectoids, I do.

I'm not sure why they don't recycle some of the previous content. Seems like a nobrainer to me.

20 years of probing an evolution, my dude

why keep puny sectoid when you can get big, strong sectoid?

Sentenza

Welp.

aROw4jr.png

It makes sense as you can use certain mods to cheat, but it will be a bit annoying to deactivate/activate all the mods (including cosmetics and QoL) each time you want to play a challenge. Specially when there's a new one every day.

EDIT: D'oh, I didn't see the "Deactivate mods" button in the launcher. That makes all this easier, although it still needs a game restart to continue with the campaign.
I honestly hate this. I hated it in vanilla as well, for the multiplayer, so it's bummer it hasn't been addressed.
If they wanted to make challenge mode and multiplayer "impermeable" to mods (which is absolutely reasonable in itself, if not even mandatory) they could just make so that both were unaffected by installed mods, rather than forcing you to manually disable them and restart the client... Something that on a side note has the bad tendency to mess up your [mod-heavy] character pool.

robertoci

Hey guys, probably gonna get this but am just curious, what's the download size like?

My internet is a bit on the slow side so need to know if I start now or just leave it to download over night.

Hey guys, probably gonna get this but am just curious, what's the download size like?

My internet is a bit on the slow side so need to know if I start now or just leave it to download over night.

With XCOM 2 installed, WotC is about 30 GB. It's hefty.

Not sure what XCOM 2 + WotC is like in terms of DL size.

Erheller

I've been rereading my lps and man I put a lot of effort into stuff where all the images got fucking deleted when minus went offline

What's a good image hosting platform you reckon

Imgur leaves stuff up for a long time, but it has compression

I use mixtape.moe, but I don't know if they remove stuff after a certain date or not

Had a goofy bug earlier, where I told my ranger to slash a sectoid, he ran up, up, up, all the way off the map and into the fog, slashed at something, then teleported down to the now dead sectoid.

Onivulk

Banned
The assassin is becoming a serious issue. Consistently wears my squad down to the point of scraping by. One day she might actually kill someone. Mentally broke the rookie and now he's permanently afraid of her.

Question: Is she (the assassin) always immune to overwatch? I see that she has potentially different strengths and weaknesses. She just happens to have immunities to the best two ways I could take her down.

Is anyone fighting an assassin they can actually bait?

Question: Is she (the assassin) always immune to overwatch? I see that she has potentially different strengths and weaknesses. She just happens to have immunities to the best two ways I could take her down.

Is anyone fighting an assassin they can actually bait?
No, she's only immune to Overwatch if the campaign rolls that for her.

Apparently, it's easy to bait her by concealing your squad, minus one soldier, and having that dude hunker down, which forces her to come to you and get revealed.

Onivulk

Banned
No, she's only immune to Overwatch if the campaign rolls that for her.

Apparently, it's easy to bait her by concealing your squad, minus one soldier, and having that dude hunker down, which forces her to come to you and get revealed.

Thanks. Just got unlucky then. I'm gonna have to hunt her down I suppose.

Welp... after a half-dozen hours I finally noticed that there's a training button in the training center, to spend accumulate XCOM/soldier ability points on new skills.

It changes everything....
Did they modify the cover system? Heard they took lots of inspiration from Lords of Xulima.

In WotC? I don't think so.

Never played Xulima... I, uh, actually thought it was one of those first-person turn-based RPGs like Might & Magic, so the news that it has a cover system is kinda blowing my mind.

Can you lose soldiers on covert actions?. Would be a pretty shitty thing if so

Yup. They can be ambushed (I think) resulting in a mission that they need to survive; and some convert actions have risks where they can be captured, or wounded. Haven't seen any outright "kill" risks, though.

Trickster

Yup. They can be ambushed (I think) resulting in a mission that they need to survive; they can be captured, or wounded. Haven't seen any outright "kill" risks, though.

Oh so you actually get to take control of the character and try to deal with the situation? I'm fine with that, unless I'm missunderstanding

MC Safety

Went to play a nice game of War of the Chosen. Learned the hard way the expansion is not yet available for Macintosh personal home computers.

I can wait, but it would have been nice for Steam to mention the game was releasing for PCs only on August 29.

Went on a rescue mission for one of my guys that was kidnapped by the Assassin. It went so wrong and we were discovered immediately. Had the facility on max alert level and by some miracle made it out alive with the prisoner. My last guy had to dodge two overwatch shots while carrying the prisoner on the way to the evac zone. So awesome. Loving this expansion.

Sentenza

I wasn't really fond of the "larger-than-life super villains" as a theme for this expansion, but I have to say I'm loving pretty much every new introduction they made in this expansion, when it comes to mechanics.

P.S. Pro-tip: the skirmishers may not seem so powerful in terms of raw damage output, but as they start to level up all their melee stuns become invaluable if used at the right time on the right target.

Top Bottom