• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Jake Solomon clearly feeds not only on the tears of those with unfortunate rolls, but those with poor internet connections.

Stoze

I basically agree with everything... except that last mission. I don't know if it was just my squad or what I had equipped or what but goddamn that last mission in XCOM2 was just insanely difficult for me.

In any event, I'm thinking of picking this up after reading up on it a bit more. I really enjoyed XCOM2 and by most accounts this is basically XCOM 2.5, which sounds like fun to me.
The last couple missions are supposed to be a jump in difficulty, I think if you fail the final mission you get to retry even on Ironman. I like that it's a bump though because you get a chance to pull out all the stops, but I think it's a tad too long and is way too samey for replays. It also becomes a lot less threatening when you
bring a Psi-Ops dude to permanently nab a Gatekeeper or Andromedon and keep mind controlling with your own Avatar. Also realizing that using a flashbang on an Avatar makes it so they can't teleport.

I'm still knee deep in vanilla XCOM 2 so it'll be a while before I pick this up, and I watched an embarrassing amount of pre-release gameplay so I'd like to forget at least some of it. It looks fantastic though.

Sblargh

Banned
It's a bit crazy that the expansion is the same size of the base game, but also not completely unexpected given how much stuff it adds.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
On some level I kinda wonder if creating this as an 'expansion' yet tying it to the base game is really the best idea.

On one hand, I get that people with the other DLC needs to be taken into account without giving the new people the access for 'free' (or at least without calling it a GotY edition or w/e), but I can't for the life of me imagine there being 30 gigs worth of new content that should need to be re-downloaded, here.

69.5 GB total size fully installed. No mods. Vanilla was installed prior to download. Not sure if it would make any difference as a clean install.

Jintor

i'm actually overseas for 5 days, which sucks, but should give you suckers a chance to signup for GAFCOM. I guess I'll do soft signups here.

Should we just restart the character pool? I don't even recall how it worked tbh.

FunkyMonk

Gonna be weird turning off all my mods when I play this tomorrow, but I want to at least give it a shot vanilla.

Same here, I've got so used to some mods I forgot they weren't part of the base game and only realised last night when I unsubscribed from them all prior to uninstalling the game (my net connection is ridiculous and I'll download the full game in a few hours).

I can see me going back to a few of them once my first run is done bit I always try to play a game as the devs intended it before adding stuff

Jintor

i'll do a bit of a dive to get used to the interface etc again but i think i'll leave the majority of it for some kind of LP

FunkyMonk

Holy hell, 30 gigs...

How's the performance? Is it improved? I got an old computer, and I struggle to play the vanilla.

Based on YouTube there's been a definite performance improvement, I really hope they fixed the save corruption bug, I stopped playing the game for months due to that one.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's a bit crazy that the expansion is the same size of the base game, but also not completely unexpected given how much stuff it adds.

More that 80% of the file size are the massive movie files.

I imagine the size of actual game content added is about 2 gigs.

Sblargh

Banned
Mods I'll miss the most are the cosmetic ones, to be honest, not just the clothes and stuff, but also things like random buttons for appearance and the option for rookies already to start with tattoos or scars.

Playing with rookies who don't even have tattoos unless I go and tell them a direct order as their commander to have it? Madness!
-
At least I'll have anarchy children, otherwise my soldiers would look like soldiers and who the hell wants that?

I hope they have included some new faces to the editor, it's a bit annoying to have so many cosmetics but so little options to make charactes look different

dcelw540

The other dlcs for xcom 2 are they decent or what's the Constance? I'm getting the newest one but not sure how the other few are.

The other dlcs for xcom 2 are they decent or what's the Constance? I'm getting the newest one but not sure how the other few are.

the what

But anyways, Alien Hunters adds some strong new "hero" aliens that are really tough, alongside some new weapons and research. It's a nice addition but super hard, though WotC toned it down and I'm not sure where the difficulty stands now. I'd recommend it.

Shen's Last Gift adds SPARKs and an accompanying mission. They're giant robots and pretty awesome. This one has also been affected by WotC apparently, but I don't know the extent of it. I highly recommend this one.

Anarchy's Children and Resistance Warrior Pack are cosmetics and easily skippable. There's some nice stuff but it's really not worth the money. Do not recommend.

Uuuunfortunately, buying the Reinforcement Pack (aka Season Pass containing all four of the above) is generally cheaper than buying the first two I listed standalone. It's currently half off on Steam and a solid deal.

Sblargh

Banned

Anarchy Children is purely cosmetic, so, you know, take a look at some screenshots and decide for yourself.
Alien Hunters add very powerful new weapons (which are kind of hard to get in the expansion because you need the proving grounds, where in vanilla, you could get them very early in the game) and also very powerful enemies who some people think break the game, but I love them.
Shen's Last Gift is a new class, a mech called spark that you can either build or do a story mission to get it and I also love it, but it is more of an early/mid-game unit, it starts very powerful, but eventually it gets overshadowed by your regular units. Still, it's a different class and by being a mech, it doesn't get tired and can also go to battle even when wounded, which makes it a good target.

Both DLCs have an optional story mission that affects the game in subtle, but important ways (like having the rulers DLC mission enabled, you can control when these powerful enemies start to appear). The game rebalances these kind of things with an "integrated additional content" (or something) checkbox that is on by default, but you can mess with the options.

tl;dr
Anarchy Children: Half naked soldiers with silly hairs
Alien Rulers: OP weapons for you, OP enemies for them
Shen's Last Gift: Robot friends

Didn't finish xcom 2 and loved it, so I reinstalled. Now I'm getting non-stop crashing and blue screening. I was all hyped to wrap the game and grab the dlc, now...well, it's unplayable. Only game this happens to. So annoying.

Sblargh

Banned
Well, the donwload is finishing. I will go play the game now. And I will be happy, because I will be experiencing pleasant things that you don't have access to. And you could be happy to, if only you didn't bought the game on GMG. But oh well, you did. So now you are sad. There is something missing in your life. People are experiencing good things that you are not.

Good luck commanders! May you have flawless gatecrashers!

Ugh. Looks like GMG doesn't have it live this evening :(

I think it's not only GMG.
Honestly I wouldn't have problems with it if not were for the size of the expansion.

Well, the donwload is finishing. I will go play the game now. And I will be happy, because I will be experiencing pleasant things that you don't have access to. And you could be happy to, if only you didn't bought the game on GMG. But oh well, you did. So now you are sad. There is something missing in your life. People are experiencing good things that you are not.

Good luck commanders! May you have flawless gatecrashers!

Haha, enjoy it :p

ISee

Contacted CDkeys...

Hello,

Thanks for contacting cdkeys.com.

The codes for XCOM 2 PC: War of the Chosen DLC would be released later today. Unfortunately, we cannot confirm the exact time. If you would wish to cancel, please do let us know.

Kind Regards,

Sounds lime this could take the better part of the day...

Well I asked for a refund and used the money to buy cheaper psn store cards. That way I don't lose much paying an extra 10€ in steam.

Now to wait some hours until it downloads those 30gb.

Pheace

Managed to get through the first tutorial mission before having to leave for work, gah! Can't wait till I'm back home.

@key (re)sellers. It's a DLC, they don't tend to get those keys early like base games.

illusionary

Keys are live on Amazon.
My order status has just changed back to "pre-ordered". An hour ago, it was saying keys by 8pm tomorrow.

Edit: I have my key now at last. Given the download size, it'll probably be Wednesday before I get the chance to spend much time with it - a chance to complete my Uncharted platinum and maybe give Mario+Rabbids a try.

GMG are you KIDDING ME

They are, supposedly, coming in the next few hours, something went wrong when the time elapsed and they didn't send out the keys and now, for some bizarre reason, they have to process all the requested refunds first before issuing keys.

Response from GMG

We're looking into why keys were not automatically released at the go-live point, but we have them in stock and they will be dispatched within the next couple of hours. If you have placed a refund request that will be processed before we start to send keys this morning. Apologies for the delay

We're resolving all refunds right now. We can't legally send keys until these have been dealt with, but we anticipate that this process will be complete within the next hour after which we will dispatch keys to all players. Dispatching keys is an automated process and we're looking into why it did not work correctly. Whatever the reason is it will not interfere with the delivery of keys this morning.

Kuosi

Seems like it was good option to get it from humble store, 10% discount with monthly sub, 2€ store credit and instant delivery upon release

Huh, that propaganda center demo vanished from my Steam library when XCOM 2 released. Now I can't uninstall it as easily.

How annoying.
Alright commanders. Lets do this!

Should I get the DLCs? How do they work with War of the chosen?

Everything goes into the same campaign.

Okay. Been playing for around 4 hours and done 4 or 5 missions. There's a lot of changes, in missions and elsewhere. I think the only mission I've done that's the same as vanilla Xcom 2 was the first one to blow up the statue and that was on a new map.
I've only scratched the surface but it already makes the game feel fresh, even after 700hrs+ on default Xcom 2.

As for performance. Generally it is better though there are still weird issues. I'd say the game actually looks a tad better. With everything max and FXAA I can often hit 60fps@4K but it usually hovers somewhere just below. That said on the soldier select screen it drops all the way to 45fps. And the fire effects still have a tendency of murdering the frame rate.
And I can see where the 30GB's come from. There's a lot of dialogue and cut-scenes. It suggests a more involved, coherent story. Looking forward to the rest of the game.
And I would suggest great care in adding current mods. It crashed on me with a few modded models so no idea what does or doesn't. Then again I intended to play through vanilla first.

Top Bottom