• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies

I just finished WOTC campaign and lost because I didn't build enough Comm relays. I want to retry the campaign but I don't want to start from scratch is there a way to new game + in the stock game or with mods thats compatible?

mbpm1

Does starting with the mission on also guarantee the assassin has immunity to overwatch? I played that mission twice and have watched at least three others, every time shadowstep was one of her starting skills. When I played through with the mission disabled she didn't have it. If this isn't just crazy luck, that's even more reason to skip it because that's basically the most broken trait on her.
Yeah I think it’s guaranteed with that mission

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah I think it’s guaranteed with that mission

Between that and the way you can just get free strong weapons and never do the actual mission to activate the alien rulers, they seem real good at making DLC that punishes you for playing through the new parts of the DLC.

Then again, the tutorial in Enemy Within/Unknown just made your start objectively worse with how they forced your build order. It's tradition I guess.

Erheller

I can't prevent myself from save scumming. I wish ironman was unlocked from the beginning, I would play with ironman on easy (if that's even a thing) - I don't want the uber stress / difficulty of regular xcom + ironman, but I want the tension from knowing bad mistakes do matter. And yes, the occasional thrill of losing my favorite soldier.

But ultimately, as much as I enjoy many things when playing this game, I think I don't really enjoy the 'real' xcom. I like the tactical positioning and the actual battles, but I don't enjoy the moment right before the battle, the pod discoveries and metagame around making sure you're not awakening a pod with your last soldier's last turn.

I get it's part of the core of xcom mechanics, but it just feels unfair (on the other hand, I have no trouble with the RNG itself). The enemy always gets to go behind cover or get closer to you for free.

This with the time pressure the game added - I don't know. I must also be one of the few that prefers xcom to xcom 2. The procedural maps often feel a bit wonky - and some mission types are just not fun to me. The worst being the ambush - it's not that hard, but for some reason I find these extremely unfun.

(On the other hand, my favorite type of mission is the rescue, so perhaps I should just go play metal gear solid :/ ).

The chosen base missions are pretty good, too.

One final note - I only played xcom 2 with WOTC (same with Xcom 1, only played EW). I dislike the fact they removed missions! It almost feels like I am missing part of the story. For instance people keep referring Valhen when meeting alien kings, but without the intro mission, that tidbit of dialogue makes no sense :/

Tutorial has to be disabled for Ironman mode. You get the Ironman prompt if you say no to the tutorial, IIRC

Foffy

Banned
I just finished WOTC campaign and lost because I didn't build enough Comm relays. I want to retry the campaign but I don't want to start from scratch is there a way to new game + in the stock game or with mods thats compatible?

I would imagine you could enable the dev console and kind of cheat your way back up?

You would have to play the whole thing over, though...

illusionary

One final note - I only played xcom 2 with WOTC (same with Xcom 1, only played EW). I dislike the fact they removed missions! It almost feels like I am missing part of the story. For instance people keep referring Valhen when meeting alien kings, but without the intro mission, that tidbit of dialogue makes no sense :/

You can disable "integration" of the DLC and you can then have the two associated missions (and other related content) as they were prior to WotC.

Definitely not without mods (edit: or possibly some form of dev options, I suppose), but what exactly is it that you'd be looking to carry over? Soldier stats/abilities?

Foffy

Banned
You can disable "integration" of the DLC and you can then have the two associated missions (and other related content) as they were prior to WotC.

I presume the whole integration mechanic was to take the features of the prior DLCs in a way so that they worked with the Chosen, so you didn't have to deal with the Chosen and the Alien Hunters content potentially in the same mission?

I presume the whole integration mechanic was to take the features of the prior DLCs in a way so that they worked with the Chosen, so you didn't have to deal with the Chosen and the Alien Hunters content potentially in the same mission?

Yeah, pretty much.

Definitely not without mods (edit: or possibly some form of dev options, I suppose), but what exactly is it that you'd be looking to carry over? Soldier stats/abilities?

yeah just soldiers really.

illusionary

AFAIK it just impacts on the two dedicated missions (i.e., they won't appear) and how the Rulers and SPARK units appear.

For the Rulers:
- Without integration, their appearance is triggered by taking the Alien Nest mission
- With integration, each ruler will first appear when attacking an ADVENT facility - there will be a warning about a "powerful alien" when selecting the mission. You'll need to research the associated weapons.

For the SPARK units:
- Without integration, you'll get your first unit free from completing the The Lost Towers mission, which also allows the construction of new units
- With integration, you just build the units as a Proving Ground project.

Either way, you'll only face at most one of the Chosen and Alien Rulers on any given mission.

yeah just soldiers really.
I'm not aware of anything specific that would allow that and can't find anything from a quick search, though that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist somewhere. Wouldn't doing this make the early game rather unbalanced, though?

Does starting with the mission on also guarantee the assassin has immunity to overwatch? I played that mission twice and have watched at least three others, every time shadowstep was one of her starting skills. When I played through with the mission disabled she didn't have it. If this isn't just crazy luck, that's even more reason to skip it because that's basically the most broken trait on her.

I think they all had Shadowstep on every play through for me. I play on Commander if that makes a difference.

AFAIK it just impacts on the two dedicated missions (i.e., they won't appear) and how the Rulers and SPARK units appear.

For the Rulers:
- Without integration, their appearance is triggered by taking the Alien Nest mission
- With integration, each ruler will first appear when attacking an ADVENT facility - there will be a warning about a "powerful alien" when selecting the mission. You'll need to research the associated weapons.

For the SPARK units:
- Without integration, you'll get your first unit free from completing the The Lost Towers mission, which also allows the construction of new units
- With integration, you just build the units as a Proving Ground project.

Either way, you'll only face at most one of the Chosen and Alien Rulers on any given mission.

I'm not aware of anything specific that would allow that and can't find anything from a quick search, though that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist somewhere. Wouldn't doing this make the early game rather unbalanced, though?
I see- what does positive the integration achieve then ? From what you wrote it mostly seems to remove missions for not particularly clear purpose.

Alternative Mod Launcher is still broken for WOTC, seems like. Fucks up xcomengine.ini by adding duplicate entries:
[Engine.DownloadableContentEnumerator]
ModRootDirs=E:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\268500\
ModRootDirs=E:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\268500

Results in the game taking minutes to launch into the main menu, and lagging the whole system and potentially crashing while doing so, along with ridiculously excessive RAM usage (OSD shows 14-15GB RAM usage, I have 16GB in total). Makes the game barely tolerable to even launch if you have a large amount of mods like I do.

Switched to the vanilla launcher (which is generally terrible in terms of usability), these issues disappear completely (7-8GB RAM usage, waaaaay faster loading) and removes the duplication in the ini file.
[Engine.DownloadableContentEnumerator]
ModRootDirs=E:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\XComGame\Mods\
ModRootDirs=E:\Steam\steamapps\common\XCOM 2\XCom2-WarOfTheChosen\XComGame\Mods\

FunkyMonk

what they should have done is tie in permanent dark events to the counter so the closer it gets to situation critical the more bullshit conditions get layered on top. Dark Horizon is amazing, but it's not balanced particularly well.

Additional mission types did something like this IIRC any dark events that triggered during the final avatars timer, the one with days and hours, became permanent which caught me out first time and incentivised me to not cheese the counter down to the last few hours before hitting a facility.

I'd finally beaten all the Chosen and was doing a routine mission, in the process of Skulljacking a Codex to get to the endgame so I could finish my Commander Ironman run.

Game crashed mid-mission and deleted my save file. Now the cloud save also won't download to my PS4. I tried rebuilding the database, currently in the process of uninstalling and reinstalling the game just for shits and giggles. But in all likelihood I've lost possibly the entire game now if I can't figure out why the cloud data won't download. This is fucking ridiculous. I'm never buying a game/port/anything by Blind Squirrel for sure, and seriously questioning whether to support Firaxis at all after they've just been completely silent about this shit.

illusionary

I'd finally beaten all the Chosen and was doing a routine mission, in the process of Skulljacking a Codex to get to the endgame so I could finish my Commander Ironman run.

Game crashed mid-mission and deleted my save file. Now the cloud save also won't download to my PS4. I tried rebuilding the database, currently in the process of uninstalling and reinstalling the game just for shits and giggles. But in all likelihood I've lost possibly the entire game now if I can't figure out why the cloud data won't download. This is fucking ridiculous. I'm never buying a game/port/anything by Blind Squirrel for sure, and seriously questioning whether to support Firaxis at all after they've just been completely silent about this shit.

That's really unfortunate to hear. Do you get a specific error message when you try to download the cloud save?

v0mitg0d

GAF, i need to lean on your shoulder a bit. :/

I adore XCOM 1.

I recently (ps4) received XCOM 2 WotC and am mostly enjoying it (playing on default difficulty + ironman) and I am sadly finding this game frustrating. To be clear I never ever found XCOM 1 frustrating, but it seems like overwatch misses SO much more than in the first. I keep wiping and have started over twice now (almost on my third) and I don't know what is going on? The challege really seems to unfairly ramp up and my guys are too weak.

What do I do? Is there a certain build order? Should I suck it up and play on easy? I want to play this game, but im losing momentum. :(

That's really unfortunate to hear. Do you get a specific error message when you try to download the cloud save?

It says "Cannot download (CE-33116-4)." My research online has it related to database issues, and most people say rebuilding the database should fix the problem. It didn't, neither did uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

I've given up for now aside from angrily tweeting at Playstaion, Firaxis, and Blind Squirrel. Maybe something will come from it, but at this point all I can do is move on and not waste any more time and money on the game.

Trey

Alternative Mod Launcher is still broken for WOTC, seems like. Fucks up xcomengine.ini by adding duplicate entries:

Results in the game taking minutes to launch into the main menu, and lagging the whole system and potentially crashing while doing so, along with ridiculously excessive RAM usage (OSD shows 14-15GB RAM usage, I have 16GB in total). Makes the game barely tolerable to even launch if you have a large amount of mods like I do.

Switched to the vanilla launcher (which is generally terrible in terms of usability), these issues disappear completely (7-8GB RAM usage, waaaaay faster loading) and removes the duplication in the ini file.

This seems to be the exact issue I'm having, because a new game loads normally, but by the time I tech to predator armor and guass weapons, every load takes at least 5 minutes, sometimes 15. It's unbearable, and the game crashes every other mission.

I have about 25 mods enabled.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
GAF, i need to lean on your shoulder a bit. :/

I adore XCOM 1.

I recently (ps4) received XCOM 2 WotC and am mostly enjoying it (playing on default difficulty + ironman) and I am sadly finding this game frustrating. To be clear I never ever found XCOM 1 frustrating, but it seems like overwatch misses SO much more than in the first. I keep wiping and have started over twice now (almost on my third) and I don't know what is going on? The challege really seems to unfairly ramp up and my guys are too weak.

What do I do? Is there a certain build order? Should I suck it up and play on easy? I want to play this game, but im losing momentum. :(

Some assorted tips:

Don't do the mission objectives as soon as they're assigned. Do the Blacksite and Alien Facilities only to ease the Avatar countdown when it gets too full, and make prolific use of the covert actions that remove blocks from the timer. Delaying them too long can make those missions more difficult but if you focus on weapons and armor above all else in research, you'll probably stay ahead of the enemies.

You can go for an early Proving Ground to get a SPARK, they're pretty strong if you get them early enough, or you can go for an early psionics lab to get a soldier you can train up without risking in the field.

Don't be scared to equip weapon mods on your strong team members, and keep in mind that you'll eventually need to build up more than one squad for missions due to soldiers getting tired and needing to manage multiple missions in quick succession at times.

(Personal opinion) Overvalue specialists. I never leave home without a specialist and with the training center I dump points into getting them all of the early skills. They can remotely wake up a teammate to prevent abduction or just missed turns and have a guaranteed damage attack that does double against robots. Hacking terminals in the field gives some great benefits like extra supplies or intel, can reduce scanning time for a month taking all pressure out of choosing which sites to investigate, or get you an objective without needing to get physically next to it. Get two +20 hack tower rewards and suddenly encountering a mech isn't a problem because you have an almost automatic 2 turn stun from anywhere with line of sight. Plus they use assault rifles so you get their upgraded weapons before anybody else's.

Also flashbangs. Always flashbangs. Less flashbangs than launch XCOM2, but always, always flashbangs. They break mind control and psychic zombies and will prevent enemies from doing anything but taking a bad shot for a turn or two.

Zertez

Now that the expansion has been out awhile on PS4, how are the loading times in the late game? I love XCOM2, but the loading times were brutal at the end of the game.

Naar

Now that the expansion has been out awhile on PS4, how are the loading times in the late game? I love XCOM2, but the loading times were brutal at the end of the game.

The loading feels better than before, but it seems to have more bugs and issues than before.

I do think the initial build order matters in that you should build the Resistance Ring first, followed by the Guerrilla Tactics School. The Resistance Ring opens up Covert Actions and Resistance Orders which do a lot to mitigate the game's initial difficulty.

Covert Actions are passive missions which require assigning 2-3 soldiers in exchange for special rewards and bonuses. You can't use those soldiers for regular active missions while they're on the covert action but they will often receive individual stat increases or even promotions on top of the Covert Action's rewards. So for an example: Covert Action Alpha requires two soldiers to be assigned for 5 days in exchange for a Engineer. Soldier 1 will also receive a promotion and soldier 2 will receive +2 health upon completion. This opens up a very consistent and reliable way to buff your off-duty soldiers and obtain critical resources outside of active missions.

Resistance Orders on the other hand, are slots for campaign wide buffs that you can change at the start of every month. Each faction has different orders, but they all have very powerful effects. One might reduce your excavation times by 50%, another increases all mission timers by 2, and some even give you the chance to start missions with an extra soldier. You can expand the number of slots for Resistance Orders by undertaking certain Covert Actions, specifically tracking down the Chosen Strongholds. By the end of the game you could have up to 9 slots which is absurd.

The Guerrilla Tactics School is needed to upgrade your squad size from four to five and six. But you can't actually buy that upgrade until your soldiers get promoted to a certain rank so there's no benefit in building it first. I'm not sure if this true is on the default difficulty however. If you can buy the upgrade immediately on normal it might be worth building the GTS first instead of the Resistance Ring. Having more soldiers available on missions is basically the biggest power spike you get during the campaign. Even without all the additional firepower/utility an extra soldier brings, the simple addition of an extra HP bar to soak enemy damage can be the difference between soldiers dying and simply being wounded.

SRG01

I do think the initial build order matters in that you should build the Resistance Ring first, followed by the Guerrilla Tactics School. The Resistance Ring opens up Covert Actions and Resistance Orders which do a lot to mitigate the game's initial difficulty.

Covert Actions are passive missions which require assigning 2-3 soldiers in exchange for special rewards and bonuses. You can't use those soldiers for regular active missions while they're on the covert action but they will often receive individual stat increases or even promotions on top of the Covert Action's rewards. So for an example: Covert Action Alpha requires two soldiers to be assigned for 5 days in exchange for a Engineer. Soldier 1 will also receive a promotion and soldier 2 will receive +2 health upon completion. This opens up a very consistent and reliable way to buff your off-duty soldiers and obtain critical resources outside of active missions.

Resistance Orders on the other hand, are slots for campaign wide buffs that you can change at the start of every month. Each faction has different orders, but they all have very powerful effects. One might reduce your excavation times by 50%, another increases all mission timers by 2, and some even give you the chance to start missions with an extra soldier. You can expand the number of slots for Resistance Orders by undertaking certain Covert Actions, specifically tracking down the Chosen Strongholds. By the end of the game you could have up to 9 slots which is absurd.

The Guerrilla Tactics School is needed to upgrade your squad size from four to five and six. But you can't actually buy that upgrade until your soldiers get promoted to a certain rank so there's no benefit in building it first. I'm not sure if this true is on the default difficulty however. If you can buy the upgrade immediately on normal it might be worth building the GTS first instead of the Resistance Ring. Having more soldiers available on missions is basically the biggest power spike you get during the campaign. Even without all the additional firepower/utility an extra soldier brings, the simple addition of an extra HP bar to soak enemy damage can be the difference between soldiers dying and simply being wounded.

It also has the benefit of training squaddies up to specific classes. It's great when you're short Rangers early on.

RevenWolf

I have finally won my ironman run!

As they say, sixth time's the charm!

Honestly I'm glad I managed it despite having tons of glitches during my run including the final mission.

The final mission glitch was horrible too, had my best specialist get knocked by a "shadowbound" but after taking out the relevant enemy he wouldn't wake up....

Killed nearly 900 Aliens in m run while having lost 56 soldiers.

Now to do it all over again on commander difficulty now that I understand the mechanics better!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Loving the game so far.

Question - Managing A B and C teams is a pain in the ass. Is there a mod that enables preset team "bookmarks", so to speak, to speed things up?

Foffy

Banned
I've been thinking this for a while, but I think they're gearing up for an Apocolypse-style remake/reboot.

Unless J.Sol is gonna do his own original thing, which would be dope too tbh

Hope they make it different enough from Phoenix Point, which looks to be doing Terror From the Deep meets Apocalypse.

Hope they make it different enough from Phoenix Point, which looks to be doing Terror From the Deep meets Apocalypse.

Phoenix Point looks dope, but between only having the three big factions and all the differences at the tactical layer I'm confident they could make their own Apocalypse remix distinct.

Fuck, I just got the worst set of three missions imaginable. First was a Very Difficult retaliation mission with Berserkers and two UFOs on the map (map mods be whack, yo), then was one of those "find the scientist/engineer, then two soldiers" faction missions, and finally I unluckly got an Avenger defense mission right after that. Jane Kelly got mind controlled by a Priest and walked into overwatch, so she died, but that was the only casualty.

The bigger problem was that the Avenger ramp was trapped in a depression, while the spike was on the higher elevation, forcing me to push soldiers up there to get squad sight to hit the damn thing with a sniper rifle.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Julian Gollop has been doing a playthrough? I'm not familiar at all with this streaming service. Trying to find if there is an archive of any of it. Doesn't seem like it.

https://twitter.com/Phoenix_Point/status/918515529035501569

Sucks there's no archive. It's so annoying being forced to stick to a schedule to watch stuff like that.

I've been skipping through Christopher Odd's Legend Ironman run of the war of the chosen. It's nice to see how it's supposed to be played with someone good at it. My only problem is he's maybe a little too textbook and safe at times, so things rarely going to absolute hell which is kinda boring.

It's fun when it does go to hell though, like this mission:

https://youtu.be/HMSB3wC8pYQ?list=PLj_Goi54wf0f7l1LG6r7A8hXARu_Qdbni&t=394

Hunter spawning in the middle of your squad doesn't seem very fair.

Fuck, gonna have to go into the Asssasin's lair with mag weapons, because trying to fight her plus tons of tough enemies is dragging out missions into hour plus territory.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So, the longer I am out on a mission, the more my soldiers' fatigue increases, right? That's another incentive to finish missions quickly, yes?

Loving the game so far.

Question - Managing A B and C teams is a pain in the ass. Is there a mod that enables preset team "bookmarks", so to speak, to speed things up?

After looking around, it doesn't seem like it. That's too bad, a mod like that would be very useful.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I just got a sniper with the guardian ability (50% chance to take another overwatch shot). In vanilla XCOM 2, guardian wouldn't stack with long watch (squadsight overwatch) as far as I could tell. It only works with normal overwatch. Is that still the case?

Top Bottom