• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xdefiant gets an official release date May 21st

Got a couple games in, it's fun although after every game I crashed to the PS5 home menu.
I will keep playing, it's a nice change from BF2042.

nikos

Input based matchmaking and a proper scoreboard are a huge win in today's shooter environment.

That said, Overwatch 2 also has that and the game is infinitely more fun. I'll still give this game a proper chance and see how it goes.

havoc00

I’m having a good time with it so far, it won’t pull me away from mw3 but I will def have this in rotation

wipeout364

Played a few games probably 10 to 12, game feels much better than before. Gunplay and movement feel really good to me. There are some weird issues I noticed with continuous fire with the LMG, can’t really explain but it feels like the aiming changes or something after 20 or thirty bullets fired in a row.

Bigger issue is the unbalanced matches. Already see people dropping out and teams getting stomped. IMO This game will die a quick death if they don’t implement some sort of SBMM. Lobbies with people with 40 kills and others with 5 or 6 will not retain new players. Problem is they have said they won’t implement it so I guess they are just going to lose players when new players get frustrated and go back to COD.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Played for about 3 hours tonight, has some issues but it’s damn fun for me. Still trying to figure out how to counter some of these things. Also they really need to kick level 10+ out of the newbie lobbies. First 6 levels I was getting bodied by level 18-24 players with guns that are much better equipped than mine. Worried owning noob lobbies will push people away.

Played for about 3 hours tonight, has some issues but it’s damn fun for me. Still trying to figure out how to counter some of these things. Also they really need to kick level 10+ out of the newbie lobbies. First 6 levels I was getting bodied by level 18-24 players with guns that are much better equipped than mine. Worried owning noob lobbies will push people away.
I also had a surprising amount of fun. Thought after the beta everything felt really floaty and TTK was weird, but it actually seemed like they made some tweaks and gameplay felt solid.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I too had a surprisingly good time playing it last night and find myself wanting to play more

I love the camos and challenges for weapons are just basically use the gun and leveling it up, not some dumb challenges forcing me to use guns or style I don't want to do (looking at you COD)

Not sure its staying power like COD has had for me but we shall see but breaking down and buying the founder pass today to give them some support

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I wish this game had just a simple TDM or DM, I played a few rounds yesterday and objective game modes with randoms who don’t ptfo is frustrating.
This is basically all I play in COD and 100% agree this game needs it as I hate playing objective based games with a bunch of randoms

wipeout364

It’s cute that you think you aren’t getting stomped my sweaty, obese teenagers in CoD as well 😂
You are not though, at least not consistently. You will have matches that you get stomped but 50% of the time you end up in the top three due to the SBMM. As well it is much less rare for a couple of players to completely dominate since when they do they get punted to much higher difficulty lobbies and have to face people above their skill level.

The problem is streamers don’t like this because COD forces them into the exact same experience that the average Jo has and so they moan about SBMM all day. When the reality is it makes a better game for everyone except those with a high skill level who dominate lobbies in the old systems.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You are not though, at least not consistently. You will have matches that you get stomped but 50% of the time you end up in the top three due to the SBMM. As well it is much less rare for a couple of players to completely dominate since when they do they get punted to much higher difficulty lobbies and have to face people above their skill level.

The problem is streamers don’t like this because COD forces them into the exact same experience that the average Jo has and so they moan about SBMM all day. When the reality is it makes a better game for everyone except those with a high skill level who dominate lobbies in the old systems.
My biggest problem with SBMM is running into people in COD who are actively reverse boosting and some very extreme cases just repeatedly not even trying and just dying over and over.

After I have a run of decent games and I see I am in the sweat fest lobbies I admit I will play the next few games working on stuff I suck at like quickscoping snipers so I am effectively reverse boosting as well to get into lobbies more my speed and in turn hurting my team

I wont feel the need to do this in this game and even if I am getting wrecked here its only one game, I know my very next game I could be the one wrecking people

As much as I love COD I hate there is a mechanism in play that determines how my games are going to play out.

I’m just being sarcastic. They definitely do need to add SBMM, or at least some sort of level based match making. Players with the higher level guns and attachments are always going to wreck lower level peeps in this game. Gun balance is all over the place…at least that is solid in CoD.

Ribi

This game is definitely not dying in two weeks lol. If they continue to balance and add content, I can see it having legs as a nice change of pace from CoD and BF. I’m not saying it’s perfect or even great, but there is room for it.
i cant see it lasting the year without them panicking that they have lost all their players. Its the same story as before with any game that tries to be cod... it just doesnt work in the long run.

i cant see it lasting the year without them panicking that they have lost all their players. Its the same story as before with any game that tries to be cod... it just doesnt work in the long run.
I agree with the year, especially once the new CoD releases later in the year. However, if they add solid content and focus in their dedicated fanbase that sticks around, it could last longer…but unfortunately, it is Ubi, so that probably won’t happen.

Sheesh, they did nothing to improve the gunplay or netcode from the betas last year.

Plus its already super fucking sweaty, zero reason to move over from COD in that case.

Its decent but wouldn't really call it good

Love not having a SBMM system but for me the game is missing something, missing that hook to keep me playing long term

Its 100% into my rotation of games to play just not sure for how long

Luckily its free to play and well worth the download to try it
These are my thoughts pretty much as well.

Game is decent and I'll continue playing it at least for awhile simply for the fact that it's more of a "classic COD" then whatever the bullshit we get nowadays is.

The trajectory of grenade throws makes me want to kill myself though. Shit is always just bouncing back off of things and rarely going where I want them to go if it's not a completely empty space.

wipeout364

I think there is definitely way forward for this game. I just worry they will lose new low skill players with their hardcore stance but I may be wrong.

DonF

whats the server situation on this game? I live in South America, Chile, and most servers for games are located in brazil, which fucking sucks for very fast/twitchy games.

I actually prefer old CoD and the era of p2p.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Well Ubi is supporting Skull & Bones with a new season for the ten players still remaining in that game, so at least whatever meager population this game manages to hold onto a couple months down the road should have new content.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Really? I’ve had 0 problems since yesterday. I have crossplay on and controller type the same. Haven’t played since earlier this morning, maybe server issues today?
Finally, I was able to get into a match. It takes a bit long to get into the game, so I had given up early on. One time, even though the game was launched, I couldn't play because I didn't select an ability :messenger_grinning_sweat: I thought the game had frozen lol. If they can speed up the matchmaking to COD levels, it would be great.

Many of the modes I like in COD are also in this game, and I enjoyed the gunplay. I think I'll play it from time to time. They managed to bring a free COD experience to players before Microsoft did:messenger_clapping:

jorgejjvr

This game slaps
zaiyCDO.png

Finally, I was able to get into a match. It takes a bit long to get into the game, so I had given up early on. One time, even though the game was launched, I couldn't play because I didn't select an ability :messenger_grinning_sweat: I thought the game had frozen lol. If they can speed up the matchmaking to COD levels, it would be great.

Many of the modes I like in COD are also in this game, and I enjoyed the gunplay. I think I'll play it from time to time. They managed to bring a free COD experience to players before Microsoft did:messenger_clapping:
Yep, I agree, the games are so fast if they could speed up the in between match times it would definitely help.

Top Bottom