• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 official Japanese twitter account and website thread

TheMoon

So the FSK logo will be over the characters. Great. God the self importance of the FSK and their stupid ass thinking of all people being heavily short sighted makes me angry. Destroys every single boxart.

USK. FSK is for movies only.

They adapt these box arts to not cover key artwork elements.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
New Interview of Takahashi by Gamekult:

https://www.gamekult.com/actualite/...on-createur-tetsuya-takahashi-3050796525.html

Translation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_...xenoblade_2_interview_with_tetsuya_takahashi/

It's got some fun responses. Also, it shows that Takahashi is indeed paying attention to his literary surroundings as expected.

That's interesting he picked Saito for better facial expressions. Guess he was tired of the doll faces of the previous 2 games.

heringer

https://www.gamekult.com/actualite/...on-createur-tetsuya-takahashi-3050796525.html

Translation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_...xenoblade_2_interview_with_tetsuya_takahashi/

It's got some fun responses. Also, it shows that Takahashi is indeed paying attention to his literary surroundings as expected.

Why is no one asking if individual armor pieces will show in the characters? All signs points to yes, but it would be nice to have a confirmation. :(

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Why is no one asking if individual armor pieces will show in the characters? All signs points to yes, but it would be nice to have a confirmation. :(

All signs point to no from the character portraits used in the menu instead of polygon models to the Blades equipped affecting your characters base stats like defense.

Tovarisch

Exploration was always one of the most important parts of the Xenoblade series, especially in XCX. Can we expect an even larger world on Switch?

Exploration will be even more important in Xenoblade 2. About the amount of places you will be able to discover and explore, I think we will go far beyond what Xenoblade X proposed. As you have been able to see in the trailer, you can expect to traverse a lot of varied environnements, some natural, some artificial, created by humans.

WAT
3YXbKQV.gif

Another interview.
In this game world that we're trying to create, there are these enormous beings called Titans that people live on and, that's their land. But their land, the Titans, are dying. Once they die, they sink into the cloud sea, so all these people are going to lose their land. They're not going to be able to survive, and I think when you look at it in the real world, I think something like that, something similar happens where there is a lot of competition for resources in the world we live in right now.

IvkmQnN.gif

Lilo_D

Far beyond.. seriously??? Thats incredible and suspicious at the same time. H O W

He said there are many different titans, the exploration in those titans are seamless, but the transition between each titan will be cut because it's just traverse through the cloud sea and not that interesting

He said there are many different titans, the exploration in those titans are seamless, but the translation between each titan will be cut because it's just traverse through the cloud sea and not that interesting

And that's a reasonable answer but it also gives Monolith the ability to make the most interconnected and dense areas they can without worrying about how they fit in a grander world geographically. I can easily see how they can potentially surpass Xenoblade X.

He said there are many different titans, the exploration in those titans are seamless, but the translation between each titan will be cut because it's just traverse through the cloud sea and not that interesting

That makes sense then. Thats some good game design as well based on how fast they are releasing it. Well I think it is.. probably helped with the development process.

Lilo_D

And that's a reasonable answer but it also gives Monolith the ability to make the most interconnected and dense areas they can without worrying about how they fit in a grander world geographically. I can easily see how they can potentially surpass Xenoblade X.

I won't worry about the word design from Monolith, they are the master
Now i'm just hype to see what's wait us this holiday (plz no delay...)

Translation:

Do you know what happened to the Baten Kaitos DS project, that appeared briefly on Bandai Namco's plannings when the handheld was announced ?

A DS project ? I'm not sure... At least, I would like to play Baten Kaitos again, but for that you should speak to M. Honne (Baten Kaitos creator) at Monolith and ask him directly (laughs).

YEAH, WE'D LIKE THAT TOO.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
YEAH, WE'D LIKE THAT TOO.

They really shouldn't have bothered asking, pretty sure there is an interview that asked about it and they said it's up to Namco if the series continues. Takahashi doesn't know about the series much and it shouldn't be surprising, but it's pretty obvious since Honne has been in Kyoto for some time now that it won't continue.

Would you guys be alright if I made a new thread with highlights from both of those interviews?

That'd be great. The part about going "far beyond what Xenoblade X proposed" is thread worthy on its own lol.

O wow that third bgm track is amazing!
They all are pretty awesome sounding, bit third has a nice fusion of all three games in one.

I hear the guitar male theme and the Violin female theme working together to create the story of the music.

I will play this game as a shameless baby man, IDC.

Please do. I can't wait for another Xenoblade topic that degrades into how ugly and bad the character designs are.

We could make a betting pool on how many posts it will take until someone brings up.

I say it takes 10 posts.

Put me down for 15

I'm halfway through picking the quotes I want to put in the OP at the moment, but I will be including the part where Takahashi mentions picking Saito as character designer so the protagonists could be more expressive because I think that's an important answer. You've been warned, though. =p

All signs point to no from the character portraits used in the menu instead of polygon models to the Blades equipped affecting your characters base stats like defense.

Just from that interview, Takahashi indirectly confirms that gear exists, so that potentially throws a hole in the the "stats are solely based off of Blade" argument.

Of course, it still doesn't confirm whether this gear is cosmetic or purely stat enhancements, or even whether it's armor and not just accessories, but it is putting more weight into the idea that cosmetics still exist.

*Will we see the return of the affinity system to unlock various skills and sidequests ? * There is of course the relationship between Blades and Drivers that is the main point of gameplay, as by nourishing them you will become stronger, unlock new skills, and so on. The game obviously has numerous sidequests, some dedicaced to developping characters, some dedicaced to developping the relationships between characters and their Blades, and some that will rely on NPCs that you will meet in town. Completing those particular missions will allow you to develop the town, to unlock new gear to buy, that kind of bonuses. Quest validation should be automatic in most cases, like in previous episodes : you don't have to go back to the quest giver to get the rewards. However, everything will depend of what kind of quest it is and the context in which you received it.

heringer

I'm halfway through picking the quotes I want to put in the OP at the moment, but I will be including the part where Takahashi mentions picking Saito as character designer so the protagonists could be more expressive because I think that's an important answer. You've been warned, though. =p

I'll change my bet to 5 then, lol.

A world with even more to discover than X is really getting me excited. I really hope nintendo is telling the truth when they say this game is coming out this year.

A world with even more to discover than X is really getting me excited. I really hope nintendo is telling the truth when they say this game is coming out this year.

During the Treehouse stream, they said the game is currently in the phase of development where the team is working to polish everything up. They also said they were two weeks away from finishing the first build of the game that includes English voice acting.

Even if the game got delayed, I doubt it would be a long one.

Waji

I think it's nice to know Takahashi picked Saito for this reason. The result is pretty good. The trailer felt like an intersting japanese animated movie and I'm confident with Monolith for the writing. They never did any bad RPG for me. I even apreciated Xenosaga 2 which is often disliked a lot.

Hope to get some more details around the gameplay and good to go. Anyway there still are ~5 months before release. Plenty of time for news.

He's clearly hot-blooded (nekketsu) like a character in a shônen manga but he's also older than he looks. When the story begins, he's been a Salvager for many years, helping the lost souls in the universe of Arst. He also lives in a world of adults, meaning he's a lot more mature than his apparence makes you think.
Expected.
But not but everyone unfortunately.
There can be some cliches it can be "shonen", anime-looking or whatever, but it can also be great.

Exactly what I want and thought it would be. The whole adventure is going to be awesome I know it since I watched the trailer.

Wamb0wneD

USK. FSK is for movies only.

They adapt these box arts to not cover key artwork elements.

Ah yeah sorry, my bad. Happens ot me way too often lol.
But wait, does the USK adapt the box art so it doesn't cover key elements or Nintendo of Europe has to because of the USK's small dick compensation?

God damn. Didn't they say they wanted this to be a simple lovers story? This sounds really good.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Just from that interview, Takahashi indirectly confirms that gear exists, so that potentially throws a hole in the the "stats are solely based off of Blade" argument.

Of course, it still doesn't confirm whether this gear is cosmetic or purely stat enhancements, or even whether it's armor and not just accessories, but it is putting more weight into the idea that cosmetics still exist.

Would ring accessories that give stat bonuses be considered gear.

Waji

Would ring accessories that give stat bonuses be considered gear.
Of course. But there's always room for surprise with Monolith.

God damn. Didn't they say they wanted this to be a simple lovers story? This sounds really good.
Nope. He said he wanted young characters and so on but that was never especially the main or only point of the story.
It's Monolithsoft. It's like people discover them each time after thinking the games are be Compile Hearts titles.
Ha ha.

TheMoon

Ah yeah sorry, my bad. Happens ot me way too often lol.
But wait, does the USK adapt the box art so it doesn't cover key elements or Nintendo of Europe has to because of the USK's small dick compensation?

They rate games. They don't touch marketing materials or product packaging, of course. :)

These titans will be legendary

It's hard to say since the fundamental idea is not as novel as the first game's setting. But it's also an advancement in that same idea which could make it interesting in its own right. For the most part, the Bionis and Mechonis didn't really move around as they were seen as dead giants. But here you can clearly see the titans moving about as living beings as you traverse on them which is immensely awesome. The proposition of variety between the beasts is also compelling as is the story element of recognizing that these creatures are actually alive and the implications for the people living on their backs.

Waji

The beasts moving and being alive really is intersting. They also probably feel something about having people leaving on their backs. And how do they live ? What do they "eat" and what if 2 beasts attack each others for some reason. Could be crazy easily.

I didn't notice the web page until now. I'm sorry. The web page was absent from the NoA web site for a long time after they first announced the game.
You don't have to be sorry ha ha. At E3 they like to add everything on a separate page only about E3.
And when you try the main website it's like nothing's new (except for the inevitable link to E3 page somewhere

The beasts moving and being alive really is intersting. They also probably feel something about having people leaving on their backs. And how do they live ? What do they "eat" and what if 2 beasts attack each others for some reason. Could be crazy easily.

There is a series of novel where the cities are all mobile and 'eat' each other. Could be similar to that.

wrowa

I don't think that's particularly surprising. He isn't referring to raw world size, but to the amount of places you can discover - and in that regard a smaller, but dense world can easily surpass Xenoblade X. They (barring some late game surprise) don't have to design the world with mechs in mind, so everything can be designed at a smaller scale. We're also assuredly getting quite a lot more meaningful places - towns, caves, dungeon-like areas - in Xenoblade 2 than in X, which, well, didn't have many of those in the first place.

I just noticed that there is finally a web page for XC2:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/xenoblade-chronicles-2-switch

It says Holiday 2017.

There's a pretty important detail that I didn't notice at first. In the Treehouse demo, Anchor Shot only had the ability to spawn healing potions. But in this picture it seems Anchor Shot also has the ability to topple. Which means that upgrading arts in this game can add additional properties to arts that didn't exist before. The choice of Topple (as opposed to something like break), in particular, is pretty smart for this art as that adds complexity to going for a topple and not going after healing items for safe damage or makes healing safer.

Waji

There's a pretty important detail that I didn't notice at first. In the Treehouse demo, Anchor Shot only had the ability to spawn healing potions. But in this picture it seems Anchor Shot also has the ability to topple. Which means that upgrading arts in this game can add additional properties to arts that didn't exist before. The choice of Topple (as opposed to something like break), in particular, is pretty smart for this art as that adds complexity to going for a topple and not going after healing items for safe damage or makes healing safer.
Very nice job ! I'm getting rusty, that's the kind of stuff I like to check usually (worst is I should have seen it easily since it's in the trailer).
I hope you're right because it would mean the battle system is going in new layers the way I wanted it too.

With the launch and several weapons = different Arts sets, it was already going pretty well but now even more.

Top Bottom