• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Releases December 1st 2017

About the Sea of Clouds and the "small" Titan Rex lives on:

do you think guys that we will move around the sea of clouds on top of the Titan, to "dive" in specific sporadic spots, similar to what Wind Waker did with the sea of..well..water?

and, do you think we will be allowed to ferely move around in the clouds, looking for the heads of other Titans, to then descend onto them (similar to what Skyward sword did with the different areas of the overworld)?

Takahashi confirmed that the player doesn't directly travel between titans in the sky.

Gambit

This is a bummer
Still hyped but I hope the exploration can live up to what Xeno X allowed me to do

I don't think it'll be able to recreate the moments when you get your skell and when you learn how to fly.

But I think it'll be as interesting location-wise.

I, for one, really hope we can visit something beneath the sea of clouds.

Or:
Go to a Titan very near Elysium and have Gaur plains music play and you realise you've reached the original Titan Bionis

TheMoon

Same, looks fine.

Enemy hp, the special bar, blades, and arts.

People taking things out of proportion

heh

(people are just going nuts because the font is so big and they forget that this is designed to be played on the 6.2" screen which, if they had played X, they would know needs bigger fonts to not kill your eyes completely. but then again, people always lose it over Xeno UI - I still remember the panic during X's pre-release time... and that UI was way moire overloaded with info than this)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
heh

(people are just going nuts because the font is so big and they forget that this is designed to be played on the 6.2" screen which, if they had played X, they would know needs bigger fonts to not kill your eyes completely. but then again, people always lose it over Xeno UI - I still remember the panic during X's pre-release time... and that UI was way moire overloaded with info than this)

That's no excuse for not having the UI scaling when docked.

TheMoon

I
I know. I want localization, not a direct awkward translation. But sometimes they change things for some reason and it loses some meaning that was intended.

Like Sharla for example. Her name is Carna in the Japanese version.

I know, but was anything actually lost other than the simple fact that the name is a reference? The character and the goddess have nothing in common that I could see from a glance.

I never played Xenoblade Chronicles 1.

How does the combat system treat new players? Is it hard or easy to learn?

It explains itself very well and is very straightforward. It also introduces everything gradually and you re-read everything in-game. Very easy to get into, probably a huge part of why the first game was such a hit.

You must play this game.

Is there any reason to feel insecure about my BB Special Edition preorder? I saw it went up at GameStop too and I don't really want to place another.

In regards to Rex's clothes, seeing him run around in the suite was hearing to me to. I really hope you can change them. I'd like to see some level of customization. But then, I do recall in the Direct video Azurda (Rex's Titan) was riding in his diving helmet.

I really can't wait til this comes out. I'm dropping everything to focus on this.

We need more wild battle system talks, less design talks.

Battle's pace looks much slower than XB and XBX. Only 1 art is available at the beginning, need to charge 2 arts, 1 Blade art and 2 Blades. You can't just spam all 8 arts like before. Since I think most enemies shouldn't survive long enough to let players seal it's arts (will be bad if they do). The damage output of break→topple→launch→(the 4th name I don't know) combo should kill all the enemies that's not rare or boss. Let teammates equip Blades with break arts, Rex equips three Blades each with topple/launch/4th arts(here comes the gacha). Every time battle starts, wait for Blades to CD, then do the full combo after teammates break the enemy(all 3 arts will be usable right after you switch Blade). Will be better if there's equipments to reduce Blades CD time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rager

Banned
Sucks that I cannot customize my characters appearance (i.e race etc..) I really hate the way the protagonist looks.

Now we just need a Chronicles X port. I'm sure we'll get Chronicles 1 once VC eventually arrives, but Chronicles X, I really want to play through. I do own the game and a WiiU, but playing on the Switch just makes games more fun to me. Plus I can't stand that the gamepad is required to have on hand. A port of Chronicles X could warrant a map in a separate menu, which I'm shocked that hasn't been patched into the WiiU version so I could play with a Pro Controller without worrying about having to keep the gamepad next to me. It really pulls me away from how immersive the game is.

Now we just need a Chronicles X port. I'm sure we'll get Chronicles 1 once VC eventually arrives, but Chronicles X, I really want to play through. I do own the game and a WiiU, but playing on the Switch just makes games more fun to me. Plus I can't stand that the gamepad is required to have on hand. A port of Chronicles X could warrant a map in a separate menu, which I'm shocked that hasn't been patched into the WiiU version so I could play with a Pro Controller without worrying about having to keep the gamepad next to me. It really pulls me away from how immersive the game is.

I feel the same way. Im hoping for a port of X as well at some point. I love my Switch and i dont really wanna turn my WiiU on anymore.

Dice//

Banned
Or:
Go to a Titan very near Elysium and have Gaur plains music play and you realise you've reached the original Titan Bionis

I'd pay a premium if that was even in as DLC.
Or make it the mysterious "Bionis Shoulder" :p

I feel the same way. Im hoping for a port of X as well at some point. I love my Switch and i dont really wanna turn my WiiU on anymore.

I like the way Cemu handles it. You can press ctrl+tab to toggle the gamepad and TV screens. Though Cemu crashes on loading the game for me, so I might as well leave my WiiU out of storage and deal with it so I can play through that rather than wasting time getting Cemu to work as I took the time dumping the game anyway, because once Mario Odyssey comes out, I probably won't be heard of until I 100% the game. lol

jdstorm

Banned
This game doesn't seem to have the same budget, but maybe I'm wrong. I wonder how people would respond if they reused assets from the old games.

It probably does. XCX had a smallish budget that Monolith did wonders with. XC2 as a more story heavy game likely invested more of that budget into cutscenes which is one of the more expensive aspects of game creation.

This game doesn't seem to have the same budget, but maybe I'm wrong. I wonder how people would respond if they reused assets from the old games.

We know at the very least that they don't have to fund a brand new engine again. This is speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if more of XC2's budget went towards making more dynamic cutscenes since Takahashi said those cutscenes were the most expensive part of XCX.

Shahadan

We know at the very least that they don't have to fund a brand new engine again. This is speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if more of XC2's budget went towards making more dynamic cutscenes since Takahashi said those cutscenes were the most expensive part of XCX.

IIRC he basically stated that there weren't many cutscenes in X because the money and time went into the engine. Also the reason for the lack of main character.
So yeah we can probably expect more cutscenes

Reki

IIRC he basically stated that there weren't many cutscenes in X because the money and time went into the engine. Also the reason for the lack of main character.

Not doubting you, but do you have a source for this? As far as I know the inclusion of online elements made them ditch Reina Sakuraba and the other two in order to introduce a customizable character.

LordKano

It definitely had less budget since they didn't have to make a whole new engine from scratch this time. It doesn't mean it's any less ambitious than previous games though.

Yeah, it definitely seems like XC2 will be more cutscene heavy than XCX. I guess to clarify, I meant that XCX and XC2 might have similar budgets with more of XCX's budget going into building aspects like the engine, the open world with both on-foot and mech traversal, and the online elements, while more of XC2's budget goes into creating a larger number of dynamic cutscenes.

Shahadan

Not doubting you, but do you have a source for this? As far as I know the inclusion of online elements made them ditch Reina Sakuraba and the other two in order to introduce a customizable character.

I'll do some search, but the interview I'm thinking about iirc mentioned both online elements and the need to create cutscenes and storyline as reasons for having a custom guy instead of a proper character. Something like he felt that after Shulk people would expect something like that and they didn't have the ressources anyway.
I could be remembering wrong, it was kinda a long time ago.

Here's the source: https://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/368023/Tetsuya+Takahashi+Talks+Xenoblade+Chronicles+X/
In RPG development, the sections that cost the most are the cut scenes and events in the main story. Since this is Monolith Soft's first high-definition open world title, we decided to focus less on these and instead shift our resources into improving the quality of the gameplay - which is most important - especially the "hack and slash" combat. This is the reason that we decided to make the player's character an avatar without a real personality.

Granted in Iwata Asks Takahashi said that the player was turned into an avatar midway through development when the dev team decided to add the online elements. I guess it's possible that when the team decided to focus less on the plot due to budget/resource restrictions, they came up with the ideas for an online system and a customizable avatar around the same time.

Reki

I'll do some search, but the interview I'm thinking about iirc mentioned both online elements and the need to create cutscenes and storyline as reasons for having a custom guy instead of a proper character. Something like he felt that after Shulk people would expect something like that and they didn't have the ressources anyway.
I could be remembering wrong, it was kinda a long time ago.

Oh, I could totally see that.

Late to the party but yeah this UI is fucking garbage, jesus. Three games now, why can't they fix this mess.

Well, you could see it from another perspective; it's a tradition of the series by now.

Edit:

Here's the source: https://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/368023/Tetsuya+Takahashi+Talks+Xenoblade+Chronicles+X/

Granted in Iwata Asks Takahashi said that the player was turned into an avatar midway through development when the dev team decided to add the online elements.

I see. Thanks for sharing!

Actually not exactly the one I was thinking about but similar idea with less specifics.

Man I wish I got my hands on everything he wrote for X since apparently he never did such a large amount. I'm so curious about the universe and the story we didn't get to see.

I would have loved to see the Qlurian arc. I'm sure we will see more of them in XCX-2 though.

Imagine if Monolith Soft's medieval-based fantasy RPG starts with the protagonist exiting a dense jungle to see ancient ruins of New Los Angeles. Then you see the words:

"7052 A.D."

"Xenoblade Chronicles X: Part 2"

Seik

Banned
This is a bummer
Still hyped but I hope the exploration can live up to what Xeno X allowed me to do

It will, via good music, and not the shit that you hear in X as soon as you leave the ground to fly.

'Over the Rainbow' was so fucking anti-hype.

Shahadan

Over the rainbow
There's a glorious sight
It's lighting our dreams and I hope we're alright
We're all the same, even if from another world
We don't belong here anymore!

Neiteio

While I'm still a tad wary of the, um, "creative intent" behind Pyra's design, I've really warmed up to the character designs overall. I also think XC2 has the most interesting setting in the series, with all of these different factions, each with their own (living!) Titan to call home, and their race to find a fabled land, Elysium.

I also like how each of the three drivers in your party (playable characters) is followed by their active blade character, so you effectively see six characters at a time. And I like how arts are now tied to face buttons, and you can change your selection of arts by changing your blade character, and how each driver can equip three blade characters, which appear to be tied to directions on the d-pad. The extra clarity and control this provides should make the combat a lot more fun.

My main concern at this point is the Switch's 10,000-shot limit on screenshots, regardless of SD card size. :-x

So i got a weird question. Been mostly on a media blackout of the game only watching a few seconds of game play footage here and there.

Do we actually know if anyone who is not a Driver, can actually see the physical manifestation of the Blades? Or are they only seen by those who are connected to the weapons?

I know, strange question...like i said. I have been trying to keep myself spoil free on this game.

Top Bottom