• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Inb4 "never use Sharla."

Doesn't hurt to bring her out for those dumbass bosses with undodgeable AoE attacks, but most people will say you should stop relying on Sharla as soon as possible.

Probably right, but me leading with Dunban and having Shulk and Sharla supporting me has worked for 100% of the battles so far. I almost feel sad breaking the team up. I don't think I have ever used Riki once, and Melia was only used for mandatory story bits. I really like the characters in this game, to the point where I kinda feel bad keeping Reyn out of my party. He's such a positive fellow to have around.

Anyone have some advice on Chain attacks?

I understand how to get the three bars and activate it but I'm not understanding how to keep the assualt going.

Basically I've just had Shulk break the enemy, Reyn topple them, and have Dunban/Sharla do whatever else attack whenever I get the chain (which usually ends the attack). I thought it had something to do with the colors, but do all 3 of them need to be the same? Or is it only the last 2?

If it helps, I'm at Satorl Marsh for the first time with my team around lvl31. Everybody except Dunban has at least a green happy face to each other in the affinity chart.

Zornica

Banned

I understand how to get the three bars and activate it but I'm not understanding how to keep the assualt going.

Basically I've just had Shulk break the enemy, Reyn topple them, and have Dunban/Sharla do whatever else attack whenever I get the chain (which usually ends the attack). I thought it had something to do with the colors, but do all 3 of them need to be the same? Or is it only the last 2?

If it helps, I'm at Satorl Marsh for the first time with my team around lvl31. Everybody except Dunban has at least a green happy face to each other in the affinity chart.

To keep the chain going longer you have to raise affinity between your party members, (which happens automatically anyway). The higher their friendship level is, the longer the chain keeps going. But it's entirely random and luck based. You can raise the chance with some passiv skills, but it's mostly not worth it. The more you progress in the game, the longer your chains will get. I wouldn't worry about it.
The same color attack only raises the multiplier with which you can deal massiv damage when used right.

Probably right, but me leading with Dunban and having Shulk and Sharla supporting me has worked for 100% of the battles so far. I almost feel sad breaking the team up. I don't think I have ever used Riki once, and Melia was only used for mandatory story bits. I really like the characters in this game, to the point where I kinda feel bad keeping Reyn out of my party. He's such a positive fellow to have around.

*mandatory dump sharla posting*
that boss is pretty hard because the game expected you to experiment with many party members and combinations. most people don't because they just stick to the starting party (the worst combination possible).
Lorithia
is practically imune to physical damage, so your party should be ether based which means you want either riki or melia.
Riki has usefull dots and nice support spells, melia has strong nukes and plows through that boss in seconds. Her playstyle is very different from other partymembers, so it could take some time to get used to it. You should read the Tutorial in the OT which should help you understand how she works.
If you take melia into your party, you HAVE to play her because the AI is not about doing damage...
I would dump sharla for riki - he has a great healing spell and does some serious damage, play melia and have either shulk, dunban or 7th assist you.
And keep in mind: having good (agility) gems makes the game waaaaaaaaaay easier.

good luck

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Remember that topple and daze effects stack.

So if you're using Shulk/Reyn/Dunban you can use break, topple, topple, and the enemy will be down longer.

Or, you can take that further. Break the enemy before a chain attack and let Reyn and Dunban use their topple attacks, and use Shaker Edge with Shulk. Reyn should get in Shield Bash too if you have that on him (and you should), which means you're sitting at 2x topple, 2x daze. Then you can start a chain attack and use Shaker Edge, Wild Down, and Steel Strike again for for 4x topple, 3x daze. From that point the enemy will probably be dead before they get a chance to get back up unless you're fighting a boss or unique monster.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Didn't know I could stack the effects. Should be helpful when I fight those Nebula monsters that keep self destructing in my face.

1stStrike

Banned
I beat this yesterday (played it 100% of the way through on Dolphin with no issues, crashes, glitches, etc.) and it's really a lovely game.

Overall, the world they developed here was incredibly unique - I mean, two entire populations of people live on the bodies of dead gods. Holy shit. Usually you have generic world X, but this was truly something awe inspiring (especially once you hit the plains).

Characters were great - mostly thanks to the voice overs as they did a tremendous job - and towards the end Riki even began to grow on me a bit
though I still wish he would've fallen into a deep, deep hole never to be seen again

As others have mentioned, the end-game is a bit too long. I would've liked to see the same amount of story, except condensed in actual gameplay, as the
linear paths they force you down at the end of the game take out the sense of wonder and exploration which drew me into the game at the beginning

Then again, when you were
walking through space it did have great affect and I really enjoyed the gorgeous views of the solar system.

This is one of the most memorable RPG's I've played in a long time, and after having sunk over 60 hours into it I was pleasantly surprised to see a NG+ which is virtually unheard of in an RPG. I may just have to sink some more time into this down the road and try to complete more of the heart-to-hearts, of which I completed almost none... in fact, I
didn't even touch the rebuilding of Colony 6 at all...

On a side note, I put together a tribute video with screenshots taken in Dolphin at 1080p if anyone is interested in checking it out. The fact that I took the time to even do this is pretty representative of how much of an impact this game had on me. Hell, I teared up a little when
Melia's brother talked to her one last time before passing from the world.

Also, if there's anyone that wants to give it a whirl in Dolphin, I posted what you need to run the game flawlessly here.

Fantastic game. I really hope the coming generation is able to craft another RPG as excellent as this one with better graphics. I'd love to see a game as good (or better) as Xenoblade with The Witcher 2 level of graphics in an open world.

katkombat

Banned
Why did I not get this on release? I am so bummed that I skipped this because of Mass Effect 3 and me being short on cash. I remember thinking "Oh it'll get reprinted". Well hopefully that's the case but I want it now so I think I will spend the $66 and import unless there's somewhere cheaper (and has it in stock) that will ship to the U.S. (play.com is the $66)

TL;DR I'm crying myself to sleep tonight.

Zornica

Banned
Why did I not get this on release? I am so bummed that I skipped this because of Mass Effect 3 and me being short on cash. I remember thinking "Oh it'll get reprinted". Well hopefully that's the case but I want it now so I think I will spend the $66 and import unless there's somewhere cheaper (and has it in stock) that will ship to the U.S. (play.com is the $66)

TL;DR I'm crying myself to sleep tonight.

there are better and cheaper alternatives.
You can use Geizhals, an austrian search tool for shops to find a cheap stores. they list german, uk and some polish shops. In regards to Xenoblade, the "german" version seems to be cheaper than the "uk" version and they are all the same anyway.
for example:
http://www.games2game.at/-0-41/-0-48/Xenoblade-Chronicles--deutsch---AT---Wii-.html ~ 46$ + shipping
But you'd have to ask them if they send it to whereever you live though...

1stStrike

Banned
Wow, 1stStrike, you must have blazed through the game because you didn't even make that LTTP thread that long ago. Lol. I'm glad you liked it!

I did! I put in like 66 hours in total and played it pretty much as soon as I got off work every day + most of the weekend :p

Ookaze

Neo Member
As others have mentioned, the end-game is a bit too long. I would've liked to see the same amount of story, except condensed in actual gameplay, as the
linear paths they force you down at the end of the game take out the sense of wonder and exploration which drew me into the game at the beginning
[/spoiler]

Lots of JRPG do that and that must be one of the reason of why I love them.
I'm an old tabletop RPG player so I think these ways of conveying a story are more tuned to people like me, and must explain why I'm bored by console and PC western RPG (based on D&D or other, like Baldur's Gate 2 that I still haven't finished by boredom, despite having bought in on launch, like Neverwinter Nights extensions) while I was mostly a D&D, AD&D and Star Wars player on tabletop RPG (and countless others more anecdotical like Toons, Call of Chtulu, Warhammer, Trauma, ...), because WRPG have a different approach which does not reminds me of tabletop RPG.
Which is that lots of the best JRPG I've played (in my opinion) do this thing : you start with a confined environment, which then expands (like a big bang) up to the time when the entire world becomes available, and that's the time when it's on the verge of collapse, and to prevent the collapse, you have to go through more and more confined environment until you reach the final point. It helps conveying the feeling that you have no choice, that it's the last chance. They force you to lose the freedom you had a moment ago so that you can end the game, showing you don't have complete control over the events.
I know the trick and still loves it.

But every JRPG I like to play grow on me as I usually spend more than 100 hours on every one. I cleared everything in Xenoblade in 340 hours. Like I said, it's the perfect game for me, which is why it's now my top JRPG of all time (so my top game of all time).

katkombat

Banned
So my closest GameStop is out. (Jordan creek mall in Des Moines Iowa) and I called seeing what other stores had it. Ok so they tell me one used copy is in newton where my grandmother lives so I call her up and see if she can get it for me, but I call them really quick and they say " uhh yeah that ones showing up in our system but we lost it sorry man". She looked to see if maybe they had found it and of course they hadn't. She hasn't seen me in around a year or so, so she bought me an $84 complete NTSC-U copy ( not sure if sealed or not she just said complete so I assume used). Was that overpriced? I feel kinda bad I know it's my birthday gift and all but 84 seems pretty steep. Lets hope I like it!

Edit: oh and side question: I need to use a classic controller preferably right? Is standard fine to play with or do is the pro a must? (I hear there's a lot of combat + camera control + player control involved and that the cc is a must but it didn't specify.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Either control scheme is fine. Most people seem to use/prefer the CCPro, but a handful have said they prefer the remote + nunchuck.

The FAQ in the op has a few details on that.

Hey guys,

I am fighting the final boss at the moment but I cannot seem to defeat him. I am at level 82 which i guess should be enough but I tried like 25 times already :( I also tried different combinations of team members but reyn, sharla and shulk seem to be the best so far. I am sick of grinding so that is not an option as i know i will stop playing the game. So do you guys have any recommendations? btw, i do not know how to spoiler tag :p can someone tell me how? Cheers!

Chuckpebble

btw, i do not know how to spoiler tag :p can someone tell me how? Cheers!

Just put the word spoiler in square brackets at the beginning and the word /spoiler in square brackets at the end of your sensitive material.

test

Sorry, I can't help with the game, I come in here on the off chance that a gaffer is selling a copy for a sane price.

katkombat

Banned
Either control scheme is fine. Most people seem to use/prefer the CCPro, but a handful have said they prefer the remote + nunchuck.

The FAQ in the op has a few details on that.

Thanks.
Im guessing the majority of you guys are getting pandoras tower, correct? I am, I won't make the same mistake twice lol.
I'm not really that interested in playing it from what I've seen, but ill still get it. Anyone who's played it how good is it?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys,

I am fighting the final boss at the moment but I cannot seem to defeat him. I am at level 82 which i guess should be enough but I tried like 25 times already :( I also tried different combinations of team members but reyn, sharla and shulk seem to be the best so far. I am sick of grinding so that is not an option as i know i will stop playing the game. So do you guys have any recommendations? btw, i do not know how to spoiler tag :p can someone tell me how? Cheers!

Your level is fine, I don't think I've ever been above level 80 when I beat the final boss. Hard to give any suggestions since I don't really know what exactly you're doing wrong, I thought it was a pretty easy fight (except when I did it at level 55).

Taking advantage of chain attacks? Good armor and gems? Got your skills and skill links set up well? If you finished Colony 6 and haven't gotten rank VI agility gems you could do that and it might help.

Wichu

Crossposting from Nintendo Direct thread:
6ZvbA4v.png

xenobladelogo_2.png

BELIEVE

I sure hope there is a reprint of this game...I want to play it, but I don't want to pay $80 - $100 for it. =( I guess I can look around the various game stores in town to see if any happen to have a used copy.

Is it though? It certainly looks like a Xenoblade game, but there is no confirmation yet that it's set in the same universe as far as I'm aware. They showed an X logo but that could just mean it's a new Xenosomething game.

Is it though? It certainly looks like a Xenoblade game, but there is no confirmation yet that it's set in the same universe as far as I'm aware. They showed an X logo but that could just mean it's a new Xenosomething game.

Even if it's not a sequel, it takes obvious, broad inspiration from Xenoblade in many respects:

There were plenty of elements in that trailer that looked like evolutions of Xenoblade mechanics. A ton of questions remain, of course. Lots of fun to look forward to!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My comments were drowned out in the big thread for the trailer, but it wasn't exactly an uncommon idea.

Looks like an evolution of Xenoblade's battle system, with the option for having real players take the place of the AI characters.

And for some new thoughts, the online probably doesn't extent much beyond that, but I could see the game being structured a bit differently due to that option being there. Bigger emphasis on unique monsters and hunting them with other real players, leading to more diverse enemy levels. Xenoblade kind of did that (like Bionis Leg having lower level enemies, and some areas with level 70ish ones), but this will probably take that further and have enemies of all sorts of levels in all kinds of areas to give teams of players lots of things to tackle, at just about any level.

And of course this stuff could be done solo, but having real people playing would give you an advantage over the sometimes questionable AI, so it probably be harder or maybe require you to be a bit higher level.

It could also go along with Nintendo's philosophy of helping players through the game. Instead of having a super-guide type system, you can have a friend who is good at the game jump in and show you where to go or help you fight a challenging boss.

My only question is how characters and levels would be determined, maybe you join someone's game and select the character you want to play as, and you are whatever level they have that character at?

Zornica

Banned
sadly they forgot to bring the colors with them over to the new system. I hate how everything in "HD" has to look washed out.
you better get some colors in there monolith!

like that:
xb21xps9.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd guess you can get more detail by using textures with fewer colors. Smaller color pallet means smaller size, so you can pack more textures in RAM. It doesn't make a big difference on the Wii since it's SD and you won't be able to resolve that detail anyway. See HD Dolphin and PCSX2 shots, where you can see way more detail in the textures than you can in SD.

But I'm not a developer, so that could be completely wrong for all I know.

1stStrike

Banned
It's just one area, geeze. There were parts of Xenoblade that weren't colorful either (Mechonis anyone?). Considering the fact that you have fucking vehicles in this game I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the world is probably larger than Xenoblade too, so there should be a lot more eye candy.

Wichu

I'd guess you can get more detail by using textures with fewer colors. Smaller color pallet means smaller size, so you can pack more textures in RAM. It doesn't make a big difference on the Wii since it's SD and you won't be able to resolve that detail anyway. See HD Dolphin and PCSX2 shots, where you can see way more detail in the textures than you can in SD.

But I'm not a developer, so that could be completely wrong for all I know.

The size of the colour palette doesn't affect the colours in it. You can still have a colourful game with a small colour palette (see: SNES games).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The size of the colour palette doesn't affect the colours in it. You can still have a colourful game with a small colour palette (see: SNES games).

I meant low contrast, specifically. Not sure why I didn't actually say it.

But still, they could have used brighter greens. I guess it's just a design choice in the end.

Zornica

Banned
It's just one area, geeze. There were parts of Xenoblade that weren't colorful either (Mechonis anyone?). Considering the fact that you have fucking vehicles in this game I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the world is probably larger than Xenoblade too, so there should be a lot more eye candy.

not sure about that. the flying mech makes it look like you can go everywhere this time without loading zones. you'll probably run out of fuel if you try to leave the island or whatever it its. but I don't see much change happening between areas like it was present in XB.
So I'd rather have an imaginary colorfull fantasy like game with ugly textures than a sharp but barren and grey world...

at least they kept the fighting system which I still adore.

Zornica

Banned
btw: it seems there are many people right now that missed out on xenoblade because they thought it would get cheaper or didn't even know it existed. With the high prices for the american/canadian version (and I don't think they'll ever go down again) we should consider adding some information on how to import from europe to the OT or at least refer to the EU OT. The game is still pretty cheap around here so some might consider it. (about 45$)

Yeah, I'm trying to buy this game so I can finally play it on my Wii U.. But the prices are ridiculous, I wish I bought this game around launch, I'm really regretting it.

Oh well..

katkombat

Banned
Only two more days (hopefully)! I can't wait to play this! The world looks great and very immersive, and I like the whole Bionis (one of the gods?) thing, how people thrive on two gods. That's AWESOME.

1stStrike

Banned
Woot.

Thank you for your order. We appreciate your business!
Date: 01-24-2013
Order #: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Amount: $52.36

Order Contents:

Xenoblade Chronicles GameStop Exclusive 1 $44.99

Thanks to a gaffer with a keen eye.

But I need gems to even hit him...

http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Night_Vision

You can trade with Scarlen or Nic for rank V gems. Or, at the very least, you can kill Hiln or Aries monsters for rank III crystals, which you can megaheat into rank IV gems.

Who do you think is easier? Abaasy and Belgazas are definitely harder, and Arsene is harder IMO because of his high dodge rate, topple resistance, and massively damaging arts.

http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Night_Vision

You can trade with Scarlen or Nic for rank V gems. Or, at the very least, you can kill Hiln or Aries monsters for rank III crystals, which you can megaheat into rank IV gems.

Who do you think is easier? Abaasy and Belgazas are definitely harder, and Arsene is harder IMO because of his high dodge rate, topple resistance, and massively damaging arts.

What? I just beat Despotic Arsene thanks to the rank V night vision but as soon as I approach Ancient Daedala he one shots me...

Still have Abassy and I've never even seen Belgazas yet.

So far I've only managed to beat Final Marcus (easy) and Despotic Arsene.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Monado Armor, Melia's Reflection, and Sharla's Shield are all useful to deal with that initial shot from Daedala. After that you can just topple lock him and the fight is a breeze. You don't even need Night Vision to beat him if you have Agility skill links and VI gems for the party. I didn't use Night Vision against him at all on my first playthrough. Agility down would probably be useful too, but not necessary.

Zornica

Banned

arsene was supposed to be hard? that was probably my most chaotic and uncontrolled fight ever. ran into him by accident because I was doing some quest. I had the most useless party combination with me, wasn't even level 99 yet and didn't have any VI gems. Still I managed to beat him somehow, guess I got lucky.

1stStrike

Banned
Any word on a reprint of the game? It is already rather difficult to track down in my area. :(

Nope. The odds of more copies being produced is quite slim at this point. Even if they did so, it would make more sense to have it in the form of an HD version, but I feel that is extremely unlikely too.

Top Bottom